Features

BN Hot Topic: Scoring Our Mid Term Papers

Appraisal time at work is usually looked forward to with a certain sense of apprehension, especially with the prospect of pay increase and or promotion hanging in the balance. So you work extra hard in the months leading to the time or if you’re inexplicably lazy, you find a way to curry favors from those who would appraise you because some way or the other, you shall be weighed and measured. In order not to be found wanting, you pull yourself up by the boot straps and you ensure that you get a pass mark.

This situation is very similar to school and exam time; the only difference is that during appraisal, you are asked to score yourself before your appraising team lead or boss appends his overall score. So, you self-appraise, and then your boss lets you know whether you’ve exceeded your own estimation or you’ve been wallowing in a cesspool of self-deceit. Yesterday, as Nigeria celebrated 14 years under democratic rule, the Nigerian president, and other members of the government presented their mid-term score card. The ceremony was held at the International Conference Center, Abuja and was broadcast live on TV.

As they reeled out their achievements, which sounded to me like patting one’s self on the back, I tried to imagine what these achievements were measured against. I thought of self-appraisal in the work place and the fact that this might be akin to that. Doing a quick mental run on the sectors wherein these self-determined scores might have come from, I thought of the following sectors: power, education, health, security, economy, tourism, agriculture, employment & infrastructure.

What do you guys think about the mid-term score card as delivered by the Nigerian government as the Jonathan administration hits its 2 year mark? Do you agree with their score of having done well in the last 2 years? If so, can you enumerate the sectors where improvement has been seen? Do you think it’s rather pre-emptive to score one’s self?

What do you guys think?
Let’s discuss

1. Hurperyermie

May 30, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Jolantern God is watching you, this country is going from bad to worse and you are talking about bringing us Goodluck? am disappointed in you, insecurity, lack of job, and many more and you are boasting? you have no conscience at all in fact am off here jare cos this is very annoying

2. Ready

May 30, 2013 at 4:45 pm

*sigh* If you ask me…see ehn….where are the concise words? To me o, our people, including our ‘leaders’ need to realize that all these macro talk does not boil down to micro for 2/3rds of the population. Yes, we’re now classified as a middle income country and are credible borrowers…but has per capita income increased for the average Nigerian (and this includes the informal sector that’s usually not counted)?
    Yes, you imported more health equipment. But your wife got sick and went to become Lazarus II in Germany…so did your mother-in-law and virtually every governor or political office holder that fell sick.
    Yes, infrastructure improved…but most of it is state work; and even that was mostly funded by the private sector and is being heavily tolled. But also, people still die because of potholes on roads.
    Electricity was such a rollercoaster business…and the govt couldn’t even afford to give us the prepaid meters as promised despite telling us it was built into the increased electricity tariffs. They’ve already announced that we can’t meet the 10,000MW they’ve been touting for December.
    Education…lol. Y’all saw aggregate JAMB results and heard of the widespread cheating in WAEC exams, right?
    Employment…Mallam el-Rufai cannot find jobs for his 2 Master’s degree holders. Underemployment is rife, and the banks still have ridiculous lending conditions for individuals and would rather lend to banks. Meanwhile, AMCON continues to bail out banks. Seems like in Nigeria, it’s better to be a bank than a person.
    Housing…The FCT Minister says the FCTA is highly indebted and they didn’t even submit their debt profile to the Debt Management Office, but all that land sits while allocation goes on at snail’s pace while politicians and their connects continue to get juicy land space and rent at ridiculous prices. Meanwhile, luxury apartments continue to go up while we have very little subsidized apartments for the poor.
    Water…you see the mallams still carrying kegs in their wheelbarrows, yeah?
    Corruption…Jonathan campaigned on an anti-corruption platform. He pardoned Alamieyeseigha right after he lied on Christiane Amanpour’s show that the average Nigerian would say electricity is better, he orchestrated PDP-GF, told us he doesn’t care that people think he should declare his assets, and made a mockery of democracy in the recently conducted NGF election…just so he can have his way.
    In conclusion, to paraphrase Omojuwa, when pigs gather to appraise themselves, none thinks of the dirtiness. The Yoruba say something abotu “oo le pe aja l’obo fun mi”…you can’t tell me a dog is a monkey. We know what’s going on…Jonathan should thank his stars that Nigerians aren’t Arabs, their asses would have been sprung tay tay.

• nikky

May 30, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Your assessment is so on point. Personally i feel that this present administration like the previous ones are not democratic by any stretch of the imagination. Nigeria is being ruled by Peoples democratic party, they cherry pick their candidates and impose them of the rest of us through their fraudulent elections.
      Scoring this administration and Nigerian democracy as a whole i will generously give it 1.5 out of 10. Except for the private sector especially banking like you said what other sector works? Lets take education for instance, public schools are run by the government on the good side it costs almost nothing to get a primary and secondary school education, but what quality of education does this system produce. Even the private school that are supposed to be a better alternative to the horrible monstrosity called public schools produce either half backed quality of education or are un- affordable to average income families. Little wonder they send their children to school abroad.
      We shouldn’t only score the government we as Nigerians should also asses ourselves to better understand why we sit back and allow people who are supposed to be public servants to act like they are doing us a favor by repairing our roads or providing better living conditions for us. Are we going to keep electing leaders who are too afraid to debate their opponents in a public forum, leaders who cannot coherently defend their policies, who will send their family members abroad for medical treatment while we all die in the underfunded hospitals with unhappy unpaid staffs. I could go on and on but at the end of the day the power for change rests in our hands. if we decide to keep with the statusquo, then don’t forget to pick up your bag of rice and cassava bread at the next campaign season, but if we want change we listen to what sensible people have to offer and give them the chance to turn this country with incredible potential to the great state that it should be.

• Banke

May 30, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I absolutely concur. Jonathan is by far the worst president Nigeria’s ever had. His recent turmoil with Ameachi is nothing to write home about. For me, Jonathan has his priorities misplaced. Most of his promises are yet to be fulfilled with the masses losing their patience. His lies on CNN was so disgraceful. I could go on and on…. Initially I thought he was a breath of fresh air for Nigeria during his campaign but he clearly isn’t.
      I mean should I begin to talk about his sluggishness towards BOKO HARAM only to deploy armies in the last minute. Damage control ey? Jonathan isn’t the messiah Nigeria’s in need of after all. The Government overall is full of flaws.

3. Gistyinka Blog

May 30, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Nigeria did not move GEJ adminstration in term of corruption,power sector,security.. For the last 2 years now,GEJ did not find any reason and people behind Boko Haram sect.. Mr president is too cold for this country where corruption as killed every sector in this country.. gistyinka.com

4. BabyDee

May 30, 2013 at 8:29 pm

BN, shey you want to start a riot here abi? You are really asking people to evaluate GEJ’s tenure????? Haba, that’s like pointing an armed robber out to people in a crowded market.

5. Sel

May 30, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Hi Bellanaija, I soooo love the Bellanaija brand, the contents, the staff(at least the ones we read from) and the commenters. I was wondering that as a way to bring everybody together( loyal readers and the people behind the scenes), can you organize an event where we can all meet and socialize? It would be so glad to meet with the likes of nich( even though I disagree with his comments most times), faith(she hardly comments these days), mz socially awkward(my god, that girl is so intelligent, always waiting to read her comments), unreturnee(that guy win me over with his comments on making it abroad), the real madam the madam, THE AMAKA,Nikki,ready and all the smart commenters out there.
    I think BN is not just a mere website, but a place where he smartest, opinionated, discerning,creative, funniest and so many more minds converge to share ideas.
    Wouldn’t it be nice to meet and interact with all these people?
    Also I believe that there is so much talk here on Bella Naija about change etc. would it be great if Bella started some sort of project or innitiative usingc it’s own readers as volunteers to engineer some form of social change?
    I also understand that BN commenters are spread all over the world but maybe an event at Lagos can start and pave way for other such events across major cities in the US/UK or anywhere else.
    Please Bella can you consider this and respond?
    Sorry for diverting from the topic at hand

• Sel

May 30, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Reading this again and there are so many errors. Pls forgive

• dgirl

May 31, 2013 at 8:14 am

U did not mention my name. #sadface#

6. Product of Nigeria public education

May 30, 2013 at 11:34 pm

I am surprised only 5 comments. But if it comes to who is carrying “fake” designer’s brand this page will be full of self acclaimed fashion police as if tomorrow no dey. We Nigerians are our own problem. Nothing concern us with what is going on. abeg let me go and listen to jesse jagz and finish this split. i will comeback when peeps don provoke to dey yab. Atoke Mr GEJ failed F9 no re-sit.

7. Tosin

May 31, 2013 at 12:06 am

So I’m guessing some of the commenters have checked out the midterm report? I want to see it first, and that is proving a hassle…

8. www.brandigest.wordpress.com

May 31, 2013 at 1:36 am

I have my red pen out. I have my marking scheme ready but the student didn’t attend to any question. His answer booklet is empty. Was so dissappointed to watch GEJ lie to the whole nation on what all of us know the truth abt.

Power: I am seek and tired of this whole MW terminology. 100, 000MW, 50,000MW, 120,000MW. Nigerians don’t wanna know all that jagon, they what to turn on the switch and the bulb glows endlessly.

Education: we are yet to get it right in education. No novel idea on how to relaunch our education to be agents of innovation, leading the way in research and develpmt. No strategy to link schools with employment.

Infrastructure: was at the MMA Intl wing, the elevator is dead old, crappy like the ones found at old marina buildings. How can a govt boast of a locomotive train in a digital era where nations are using sophisticated underground and high speed electr trains.

Health: Just this January I lost my sister to an inefficient Nigeria health sector. She died on child birth- a stale occurence now in the world. Imagine in 21century, women still die on childbirth in Nigeria. I know someone who had 4 different hospitals tell him 4different stories of what ailment he suffers after seeking them cos of his chest pains.

Employment: Do you think Nigerians would be the highest African population in foreign land if there are good jobs here? Why would Emeka travel to Malaysia, Tunde bask in the UK for too long? If there are jobs here for them. For us. I hate it when govt officials talk abt loans available for Nigerian youth. I was at a youth forum in Asaba, and 97% of the youth present haven’t heard about SMEDAN. Who is govt giving out loans to? Ghosts or has Abuja become the whole of Nigeria?

Corruption: the very monster that has Jonathan’s blessings. Alamesieyegha is a free man, thanks to *Mr. No sacred cows will go unpurnished*
    Please how can I rent an American to help convince people about me? I see GEJ acquired Jesse Jackson to validate him.

9. Pepstar

May 31, 2013 at 5:58 am

Hmmmm! For me the president and his crew has nt done anytin, i wonder who tel dem that witout Education d future of Nigeria is safe, Education is where d youth nid change most! Until they upgrade our schools, they hav done notin. Unemployement is 2much in Nigeria, there is no work 4 the youth, dats y we hav high crime rate. Coruption i knw is 2much 4 you so lets 4get dat 1. Pls address dis issue Oga At The Top

10. splendidsolo

May 31, 2013 at 6:37 am

Leadership is not as easy as nany folks out there makes it look. Change they say is a gradually process. In as much as i believe that goodluck is not a messiah, I beg to dissagree that he’s done nothing. I also refuse to accept that we are going from bad to worst. To an unbaised judge there is something to beat our chest for. I believe we are not there yet but we everybody invoved we will get there. God bless Nigeria!

11. zsa zsa

May 31, 2013 at 6:56 am

Can we just have uninterrupted power supply?? i mean PLEASE!!!!!!!! The leaders and their boys can carry all the money they want and hopefully God will deal with them later but can we JUST HAVE LIGHT?????? argh!!!
    I’m too tired to analyze abeg.

• enenebe

May 31, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Looool! Zsa Zsa my sister thats all I ask. Just light!!!!! Just Light!!!!!

12. fo

May 31, 2013 at 8:36 am

Mr. President lacks the charisma of a leader and the intelligence to choose between the good, the not so good and the bad. He spends a good number of his time setting up committees that end up without vision and focus.

I think he never dreamt of leading Nigeria so have no clear- cut direction of where to go or what to do. The only development i see are on the pages of newspapers. My Life has not changed one bit since he became the president.He promised us fresh hair but ended up polluting the not so fresh one that we had before he became the president.

Politics aside, the President broke my heart when he exercised his constitutional right of giving presidential pardon to the former governor of Bayelsa State. According to his aides “he doesn’t give a damn what we think about” his action. i shall come to his aides later. I can them dangling modifiers.

we need to put ethnic and religious sentiments aside. come 2015 Let’s not vote for anyone because he is igbo or because he is hausa or because he is yoruba. Let us vote if we are truly convinced that he can lead us to the promise land. Even if he does not lead us to the promise land we can look back and rejoice that at least we have crossed the red sea.

We are not asking for too much- we need electricity, we need water and we need education. we want a leader who knows that his integrity is at stack if he fails to deliver on his promises. We have not had electricity for almost 2 weeks, my uncle has a private borehole, my cousins and sisters go to private schools, our roads are death traps. why on earth do we pay tax so that the ruling class will go to the best hospitals in the world to treat malaria.

Romancing with music stars and nollywood stars will not take you anywhere, wake up Your Excellency and act. let the common man feel these developments.

They need the fresh air too

13. dammy

May 31, 2013 at 9:04 am

i work in a generator sales company and we rake in millions from the sales. foreigners are benefitting from the misfortune of our nation and theres nothing we are doing about it. s sad

14. Libra

May 31, 2013 at 11:23 am

Jonathan is just one omo-aleeeeeeee!!!!

• Msunderstood