Features

BN Hot Topic: To Splurge or Not! How Much Should be Spent on a Child’s 1st Birthday?

Atoke

A few months ago, the matter of Nigeria’s centennial celebration was being discussed seriously by the legislative arm of the government.  I remember vividly that when asked to justify how much was allocated for the celebration, a legislator said “After all, some of us spend so much to celebrate the birthday for our girlfriends, so it shouldn’t be too much to spend for our country.”

Nigerians LOVE to party. We don’t need any special reason to celebrate… we just roll out the drums and we’re partying away. Burials, marriages, new job, new car, new house, new job… any and everything is celebrated.

So the reasoning is why shouldn’t birthdays be celebrated in grand style? If it can be rationalized, then it can be done. This is how my cousin explained her grand plans to fork out 1.2 million Naira on her daughter’s first birthday. I sat with her as she talked with the party planner of the elaborate plans she had. She was planning that 1 year old Tofunmi would wear 5 different outfits, there would be 5 different cakes for each change of outfit. The decorator was on standby with different ideas for the themes she had conceptualized. The guests were to come with their kids and depending on the gender of the child, there was a themed dress code. Bouncy castles and those scary clowns and Disney characters were not left out. With every elaborate plan she mentioned, I was tempted to say “Erm, but she wont remember all these things. Wait till she’s like 5 or 10 when she can invite her own friends and enjoy HER day” but I bit my tongue. I had to remind myself; “It’s neither your money, nor your child.”

Every time I cringe at what I think are excesses, Mohammed reminds me that I’m only thinking that way because I’m currently steeped in poverty and that when I smell small money, my thinking will change. I disagree, so I’m praying for the money to come so I can prove him wrong. He went on to say that spending a fortune on your child’s first birthday is akin to the way parents splurge on their children’s weddings. I countered that at least in the case of weddings, the child is old enough to appreciate the expense and effort. Another friend argued that a 1st birthday was an important milestone in the life of the child and was worthy of celebrating. It was immaterial that the child lacked the presence of mind to appreciate it. That’s why photos exist. She also went further to say that these things form an essential part of a child’s psyche and as such should not be understated.

What do you guys think? What are your thoughts on the celebration of a child’s first birthday? Is there a limit to how much should be spent on the child’s first birthday?

Let’s discuss!

Photo Credit: community.babycenter.com

1. Jfk

May 2, 2013 at 12:39 pm

No way i would spend such money for my child’s birthday party.. Its just a party and the child will not even remember when he or she grows up end of strory!

2. Niyi

May 2, 2013 at 12:46 pm

In my view, its pure waste of money, time and resources to celebrate one year birthday in grand style. Its good to celebrate parties for children that will appreciate it. A 10th Birthday is more like it because the child will remember it for many years to come unlike a year old baby that doesnt know right from left. We love to waste resources in Nigeria on lavish lifestyles. On the contrary, Some people invest in parties to make profit thats another angle am also looking at which is dependent on your social standing/status in the society. A Social CELEB or Politician would want to throw parties just to shake the polity and also to remind us that they are still very much around.

3. larie

May 2, 2013 at 12:49 pm

The amount you spend is all relative…the pure water seller will probably think I’m crazy for spending N100k on a party for a kid , whereas the senators and ministers who are munching indiscriminately on our “national cake” could spend N100k for diner in one evening. …at the end of the day ..its up to the parent to spend as much as they like …the first birthday is never really about the kid – its the parents party!!! saying that – it’ll be dumb to spend N1m on a party when you are living in a rented flat and perhaps don’t even own a bicycle.

• Autoprincess

May 2, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Gbam! You have said it all. The amount you spend is relative, it depends on your income, abi. 1 million naira may be chicken feed to some, while others may see that amount as life-changing.

• mo'

May 2, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Your words make sense… I lyk

4. loveth .O

May 2, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Spending this urge amount is way too much

5. Tee

May 2, 2013 at 12:53 pm

1.2 million what!!!! Well to each its own. Personally I would just have a little family celebration ( grandparents, aunties, cousins et al) cos the child would not even remember all of that. I would rather put that money into a trust for my kids future.

• Joyce

May 2, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Exactly what is on my mind…., put the money in a trust fund.

6. dsb

May 2, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I support you o.have a party when the child is 5 or 10.wat does the child know @1.infact ,u r throwing a party for ursef n not d child.except the grand parents wanna do by force party.they can go ahead but me wld not use ma money.

7. Amazeballs!

May 2, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Everybody should celebrate their childs birthday as their taste, preferences and most importantly, pockets permit! and by the way, 5 birthday cakes for Tofunmi is nothing! A certain governors daughter had FOURTEEN cakes for her son’s 1 year old birthday amongsts a plethora of other expensive things! Now, do you even want to imagine what the party packs were like? lol!

• Bleed blue

May 2, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Why expose my girl B like this na ehn? 🙂

8. Remie

May 2, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Honestly I would celebrate my children’s 1st birthday anytime. Like someone rightly said, the amount spent is relative, depending on one social status.
    I had my son birthday in grand style and would do it again in a heartbeat. I believe every birthday is special, even though he might ordinarily not know it, he knew something was different on that day. Every birthday should be celebrated.

• Ijebu

May 2, 2013 at 2:47 pm

well said!

9. pynk

May 2, 2013 at 1:06 pm

There’s no need for exorbitant spending. i heard of a party which cost N5 million for a yr old. and the parents live in a rented apartment. I just think a lot of people have lost the plot along the way!

10. natty

May 2, 2013 at 1:07 pm

if u can afford to spend 1.2 million on a birthday without breaking bank well go for it, after all that child will only celebrate that 1st birthday only once

• Ijebu

May 2, 2013 at 2:48 pm

well said!

11. Hengish

May 2, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I think these things drive the economy – money in the pocket for the Bouncy castle owners etc.

12. eniola

May 2, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I just love Atoke. I wonder for Nigerians o! People just take celebrations to the extreme. I don’t even have a word for how extravagantly people spend unreasonably on ”unnecessary” events.

13. Karonwi

May 2, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Personally, I would celebrate my child’s first birthday properly… even though I think 1.2million naira is an extreme. You can organise a classy, interesting party without spending so much. There is this joy in seeing pictures of your first birthday *smile*

• Ijebu

May 2, 2013 at 2:50 pm

well stated!

14. Miss Tee

May 2, 2013 at 1:47 pm

This party is obviously for the mother and not for the baby.
    I mean really, 5 different outfits (and of course, let’s not forget the cakes to match haha) for a one year old under the space of how many hours? Lol, let’s look at it like this; if she starts with a gucci dress and ends in fendi for the baby, who at that party will recognise it? Is it not the adults there.
    If the aim was to celebrate the child’s birthday with the child actually in mind, it shouldn’t be this serious ahbeg.

Atoke, you just watch that day; the constant changing of clothes, shuffling around, loud music, scary costumes and large crowds of people will end up irritating that poor baby lol.
    Mama will still have to explain to baby when she’s much older why she’s the only one not smiling in all those memorable birthday pictures she’s trying to use as an excuse smh.

Generally speaking; when it comes to any celebration, limits should be based on a person’s budget. If they have a lot to spend on the celebration then that’s a good thing, there’s nothing wrong with that and it isn’t an issue. However in this case, sound judgment (or the lack of it) is the real problem.

15. GreenDiamond

May 2, 2013 at 1:50 pm

i dont have to read this story just d topic alone is enof..how much parents want to spend on their kids is NO ONE’S business.. there r just some topic u just dont go into. but atoke i still got luv 4 u

16. Nomy

May 2, 2013 at 1:56 pm

N1.2m celebration for a tiny pampers master? Ok naaaaaa! Anyway iagree with one comment, its all relative. i fit spend up to N200k but am sure fore some other person that N200k na insanity while for the N1.2m Parent the N200k na huge joke and for some other persons N50k or N10k na exact amount for a party. Its all relative really, if your Bank balance can back it up, knock yourself out. And mostly the party is not for the child, its for the Mum and Dad, thankful for a whole year of being Parents. And for the blessing of a child, if you check am subsequently, the kids celebrate at school with minimal cost.

17. shebaby

May 2, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Whaooo!!! 1.2m is definately a lot of money even for those that shares “national Cake” for a 1 year old birthday? you have all said it all the child will not even remember anything that happens on that day, I am so sure TOFUNMI will sleep throught that party or cry half the time, the parents should just say they wanted to do a show of money, and that is what is killing us in Nigeria, sekarimi(do make people see you) as yorubas will say.

18. frances

May 2, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I have a set of twins and i dont mind spending 2million on their 1st birthday if i can afford it(they will be 1yr by june) 🙂

19. anonymous

May 2, 2013 at 2:13 pm

As for me i dont care how much u spend on ur child’s (who will cry all day because of the crowd) 1st birthday cos any which way its a waste of money and its always the parents that enjoys all the food and other stuffs. The kids just play around and take party packs. So basically the party is for us the parents.

• deep

May 3, 2013 at 10:35 am

it’s so irritating that so many of u automatically think that all babies are timid n scared of d a crowd… a lot of kids LOVE it n others don’t even notice….

20. Dee

May 2, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Like a few people have already pointed out it all depends on the family’s disposable income and also how much they value celebrations. I have friends who love birthdays and believe each one must be grand, while i’m not big on throwing parties that doesn’t mean they are wasteful. The same way another woman may choose to spend that money on a designer bag. Money is meant to be spent on the things that bring us joy, so if the parents derive happiness from throwing such a party why not? As long as it won’t bankrupt you enjoy.

21. mum

May 2, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Honestly, it depends on where you place your priorities and what’s important. For me it was (and still is) holding on to precious memories.

I remember Bree’s birthday, not because I spent millions, but cos we spent the day with our closest family and friends. People who’d been part of her life throughout the year. And I’m glad I can tell her that and actually name names(LOL) when she’s all grown up and sees the lovely pictures!

But then again, that’s what worked for me. If a mother/parent(s) want to tell the whole world how very important their kid is to them by spending a lot…please let them! You can never spend too much on your child whether its remembered or not!

XO

• Joyce

May 2, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Spending money doesn’t tell the world how important your kid is to you. Every kid is important to his or her parent, with or without spending money.

22. Aba

May 2, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Will not waste money on my Child birthday I dont care if I am rich or not, my daughter first birthday I just bought a cake and took a picture with her and I think that is what she is going to remember, as at now I am waiting for her to be 10 years before I have a party for her…I dont know maybe I am not rich…lol

23. Dearie

May 2, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Personally I think 1.2m is too much in today’s Nigeria and with what I earn. But I won’t slay anyone who spends such – as long as the parents can afford it.

No, I won’t spend 1.2m on my child’s 1yr birthday party. I personally feel those who throw huge parties for 1yr olds truly throw them for their 1yr olds but to be candid, those kids cry all through, seeing so many strange faces all trying to hug and carry them, the clowns, loud music and all – they end up being irritable and weepy.
    Those who enjoy the parties are the aunties, the uncles and the skelewus who come for ‘men shopping’.
    Same way I won’t advise anyone to throw a HUGE party for a 90yr old grand/great grandpa. Some of them die days after – due to the whole stress.
    But to each his own I guess. I’ll wait till my child is 5,then I’ll do something he/she will remember and appreciate. My opinion.

24. Mrs Shay

May 2, 2013 at 2:56 pm

What’s next, how much you spend on school fees? Because that’s the argument that is flying around now. It’s really not anyone’s business as long as they are not coming to you to borrow the money. We just like to comment on other people’s lives. 1yr old parties are for the parents and adults everyone knows that. Especially if you had a grand wedding, your baby’s 1yr is the next party you have thrown after that, so if you can afford it, you go all out. Hubby and I are working, waiting and saving so our kids can go to private schools, despite the fact that people say government schools are good enough. No siree, not for my babies. The really great schools midway between where I live and work are £12 – 15K per year for a 4year old, and it goes up and up. By age 13 it is boarding school £30 – 40K per year. Now to some we must be crazy, but we work hard and we are going to give our kids the best. Aint nobody’s business. When they become big someborrys in the future, tell me again how much I spent on their education.

• Naveah

May 2, 2013 at 5:08 pm

What you spend for your child’s education will reap LONG TERM results for them because it will help them lay the proper foundation on which to build their lives. What does spend N1.2 on a one year old’s birthday party going to do for them in the long run? You are comparing apples and oranges, my dear Mrs. Shay. And as for your comment about people commenting on people’s lives, you should address that to the writer because brought the story here for us to speculate on and for all we know these are fictional characters. And lastly, I do believe we have been having a well balanced discussion for or against both sides of the arguments.

• Mrs Shay

May 2, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Apples and Oranges you may say, but it was an example of whatever you are willing to spend, there will always be some people who will complain about it or have an opinion to the negative. Like the event planner @PJ below said, as long as they did not come to borrow money from you before or after the event, it is none of your business. Yes the writer wrote it up for people to comment, but the way people are commenting like Tofunmi’s mum is responsible for World Hunger beats me. So whether it is Long Term expense or Short term expense your reasons are your reasons. If you can’t justify it, Tofunmi’s mum can and she can afford it, and it is not up to you or anyone to nitpick on their reason or whether it is long term or not. I’m sure people would have told you your wedding is just one day and whether you throw a big or a small party it doesn’t affect the success of your marriage or foundation sth sth that you said, yet you will went ahead and spent what you did for one day. I’m following your line of thought here o. Wedding, 1yr birthday party. Potato – potato, tomato – tomato.

25. Naveah

May 2, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Millionaire or doctor or teacher or okada driver, I no care! Spending N1.2 million on a ONE YEAR old child’s birthday party is NO LONGER about the child but about the parents need to show that they can throw one heck of a party. I am sorry to say but Nigerians are always overly concerned about what the next man or woman thinks, every thing is about “make dem no tok sey” so they will beg, borrow or steal to make sure people are talking about “CHEI, Mama and papa Tofunmi fit throw serious owambe o come see food nyanfu nyanfu! Five change of clothing and five cakes? Really? And I will bet my bottom dollar that the mama and papa will change five times as well all for what? Give me a break! Does spending N1.2 million mean you are more grateful to God for your chid’s life than the person spending N50K?

One cake, one “occasion” outfit for picture taking, put that baby in her play clothes so she can wear her cake which is what happens most of the time, foods/drinks, have some games for the older kids (pin the tail on the donkey, musical chairs etc), some face painting, goodie bags for the children, call it a day and bye-bye!

26. Dearie

May 2, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I forgot to add this – I lived with an aunt of mine briefly in Ibadan. I got a Blackeberry sometime ago at 6ok. When she asked me how much I got my new phone and I told her, she thought 3 things – 1)I was lying. 2)I was crazy 3)I was lying. This woman couldn’t believe/understand how a phone could be that expensive and also someone would pay for it. So yes, 1.2m on a 1yr old’s birthday to someone is chicken feed, while to me – it’s a bit much!

27. Amazeballs!

May 2, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Lol! oh well.

28. FLAKKYJOJO

May 2, 2013 at 3:08 pm

1.2 m is too much……..

29. Tae

May 2, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Actually it has nothing to do with being Nigerians or not. There was a particular show about parents in the States who throw outrageous parties for their kids and the parents where different races and they were from different backgrounds. One woman spent $60,000 to throw a party for her son from graduating from elementary school!. Ultimately as human beings we will always place value on different things and that is the beauty of life. So as long as they didn’t come to borrow money from you for the party or after the party let them spend their money as they see fit. I’m sure a lot of women in Mushin would be flabbergasted by how much you spend on some things e.g human hair.

30. motherinwaiting

May 2, 2013 at 4:13 pm

still waiting 8 years after marriage now and i eventually born pickin, the one year party shall be gengencious….. i shall not borrow beg or steal but if the ple i want to invite, food, dresses and all reach 1.2 miliion then i no send anybody….na thanksgiving me i go dey do……my take is be able to afford it and no unneccesary efizy like 5 dress change….

• Aash

May 7, 2013 at 3:26 pm

May God bless you with wonderful kids.Amen

31. PJ

May 2, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I have had this discussion with people over time. It is not excessive to celebrate a first birthday in whatever way you choose to do it. What I have problems with is people having a prty and then not spending money on important things such as education, good house for the children, quality time with them and proper moral training. I sed to think celebrating first birthdays was a naija thing until I ventured into the business of organising childrens’ parties. Americans, Australians and Arabs splash out on their childrens’ birthdays, irrespective of the age. But they are all round. They will spend money time and whatever else they are blessed with on their children. Celebrating first birthdays is a way of saying thank you to God. It is indeed a major milestone in the life of the child. Forget the sentiments that they don’t remember as someone rightly said they see pictures. What you are doing is to ask people to rejoice with you. That you are alive, the child is alive, you are all in health. That is how I see it by the way. We celebrated out daughter’s 1st birthday in our living room but trust me we didnt spare anything the Lord allowed us to spend. I believe in quality. We gave her what we could afford and it was of a very good quality.

When parents contact me, i always ask them what can you afford. Do it within your budget. And even when they ask for things outside their budget, I always ask is it necessary? Who will notice if you don’t have it? Why do you want it? Motive is very important to me. I like people to do things for the right reasons or at least for themselves. Not for other people. You can visit my page on facebook to see some parties I have done. I am not advertising, just to show you how minimalisitc the parties are. But trust me the parents usually come with big ideas. I just help them cut it to their reasonable pocket. May God grant us wisdom to understand the importance of motive. Doing things for the right reasons.

facebook.com/Kiddy Delight Event & Fun Food Services

• Mz Socially Awkward...

May 2, 2013 at 9:56 pm

You have made a lot of sense – throwing an extravagant party isn’t a problem as far as the parents have also made investment plans regarding the future of their one year old cherub. Quite frankly, I don’t believe any child will be impressed with photos of their grand 1yr old party when you’re attempting to outline your explanation 9years later about why they can’t expect you to pay for quality education. The “now” is good to celebrate but always remember that having a child involves a lot of responsible financial planning.

32. salsera

May 2, 2013 at 5:08 pm

there is no birthday that comes twice by the way and about the pictures, do any of us still have our 1yr pictures. And just to say what you spend on ur child is your business but that you send your kids to some expensive school doesnt guarantee them being ‘somebody’s’ in the future. All the money in the world wont take the place of attention and nurturing

• Mrs Shay

May 2, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Do I detect a hint of beef here? My dear, do some research on the movers and shakers of this world, in fact don’t go far. Start from 9ja and start ticking names and schools then move to the UK and start from David Cameron then walk your way downwards. Yes there are a few outliers and even them send their kids to fee paying schools. You say it doesn’t guarantee success, I say it is a step in the right direction. At least here you are on BN, loads of people are on Nairaland for example. You can justify your reasons I can justify mine. In my line of work it sure as hell is a gengelicious advantage, and I will give my children all the advantages I was given and more. Who told you they won’t get attention and nurturing. So, in your dictionary, those who send their kids to expensive schools don’t lavish attention and nurturing on them. You are too funny.

• I hate people that say "thank me later"

May 2, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I have my first year pictures!!! I was oh so adorable(if I may say so myself :D)…26years later, I look at the pictures and smile. I don’t know/don’t care how much my parents spent but it looked like a decent party to me. My dear spending money on a loved one is a form of expressing love. If you have money to send your kids to an expensive good school why not? Abeg I don’t beef the rich for doing what they can afford to do….

33. Partyrider

May 2, 2013 at 5:54 pm

A child’s first birthday is a big deal as far as I am concerned. If the parents can afford to shut down the city , good and fine. Shoe get size,so spend within your means while you enjoy the day with family and friends and thank God for life.that’s all.

Another take: You think you can tell a wealthy couple who has waited 10yrs+ for their first child how much is too much to spend for their child’s first birthday? Jokes.. They will spend 1.2mil for child dedication and thanksgiving, and spend another 1.2mil for the first birthday..Lol again…as long as you can afford it.. Shikena

34. toluwa

May 2, 2013 at 7:07 pm

What works for Mr A might not work for Mr B, if u can afford to throw a big party for ur child’s 1st birthday y not? Yes d parents and older kids enjoy d party more while d celebrate isnt aware of whats happening. But who says d memories wont be appreciated by d child when older… My 1st birthday was Big… i watched d video when older and saw all d drama dat went down. it was fun watching d video , my sister chorographed “bata re a dun ko ko ka” with her friends, my dad’s friends even had night party doing d oldskul dance lol… what was i doing, licking d icing on my cake and pulling d cables to d speaker when i was put down, and ofcourse slept off later. lol
    But watching my siblings and family members having fun celebrating me was beautiful.

35. Anon

May 2, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Dear Nigerians, just learn to mind your businesses. As long as it isn’t your money, it should be no concern of yours. Thatisall

36. Leaticia

May 2, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Way too much money! You are right the child will not remember this!
    I bet this is their first baby and being that I just had one of my own, I see how they want to go all out. It’s a love u can’t explain:-)
    On the other hand I do believe a child first birthday is a big milestone and should be celebrated. I promise you they won’t spend that much on subsequent children’s first birthday if they even celebrate it all lol…

37. whocares

May 2, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I would have to go with Atoke on this one, but then maybe its cos im still a student and so if i had to sit them discuss that sort of money, i would have mugged them tipe tipe and absconded with the money. loool. I joke. but honestly its the truth.. Kids always cry through these elaborate parties as they can barely comprehend what is happening.. for the first year, id say to keep it simple and intimate. immediate family, close friends, a cook-out.. an opportunity for the child to feel familial love and laugh and play and not cry because of the loud music or some scary aunt with ojuju calabar make-up trying to lift her/him

38. Miss Eloquent

May 2, 2013 at 9:36 pm

It’s good to mark your child’s first birthday. It’s also important to be wise and not spend all the money you have trying to throw the most amazing 1 year old party on the planet. You can make your child’s 1st birthday a memorable one without spending so much money. Cut your coat according to your size and don’t try to copy what society expects. God bless.

39. zsa zsa

May 3, 2013 at 5:45 am

1.2mill is a lot for anybody, but if you can afford it then go for it, as long as you are not wiping out your savings or spending the child’s college fund. A friend went all out for her child’s 1st birthday against her husbands wish. Hubby wasn’t making much money but wifey has a nice paying job. They argued before, during and daaaaays after the party…not to mention that the child slept like 30mins after the party started and was moody when he woke up, poor thing.
    For my child’s first birthday i got her a balloon, some cupcakes for neighbors kids and that was it. My friends were surprised, but i just didn’t have the energy to plan anything grand or close to grand sef, there are pictures for memories.
    To each his own, just don’t bend yourself out of shape for the wrong reasons.

40. anu

May 3, 2013 at 7:50 am

Don’t have kids yet but For me,I wouldn’t spend so much on my child’s 1st birthday. my child would not remember most things that happened that day, would celebrate the day with family and friends.

41. Yoruba Geh

May 3, 2013 at 9:15 am

1.2 m mit be too much…buh if she has the money why not??
    a ten year old bday was celebrated in PH some months ago and don jazzy and iyanya were there to perform,pple called it craze buh the bottom line is that the father is capable

42. DA

May 3, 2013 at 9:17 am

@motherinwaitng: God would surely answer ur prayer just keep keping faith, but its just good for us to be careful the things we do. Alot of times this kids cry all through the party and eventually fall ill after, i have seen parents run straight to the hospital at night when party is over and evryone has gone to their various homes to sleep. @Salsera no one is beefin u na, but the truth be told the success of a child is not dependant on the expensive school the child attends..eg Goodluck Jonathan, he had no shoes goin to school as a child, yet he rose to be Nigeria’s President, Cosmos Maduka(Coscharis motors), Tyler Perry, Rev Sam Adeyemi(Daystar),Pstr Wole (CLAM)..dey are too plenty to mention, yet all these people are successful today. No be by ur power oo. i have noticed that most parents who embark on this journey usually want to fill the vaccum of what they were deprived as children.

43. Warri Pickin

May 6, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Spend it if you have it, shout halleluyah if that makes you cool, less is good , Big spender is cool………….Our first Birthday was Traffic Jam, now we are 10yrs and planning a carnival…..Na so we want am