News

Are You an “I Just Got Back” – #IJGB? Signs, Symptoms & Cures of the new JJC!

Ink Eze

LagosAirport

“How was your flight?”

“Ugh, the airport was so hot! And my bags came out so late!”

“I tried to enter with my American passport, so they kept me waiting for hours, but my parents came to get me later!”

Welcome to Christmas in Lagos. Or Abuja. Or any big city in Nigeria in late December/early January. It’s the season of “I Just Got Back”(s) or #IJGB! In the old days, someone who just came back was known as a “JJC” aka Johnny Just Come – Johnny, to represent the playful English name of a foreigner. Or perhaps the nickname you adapted because they (oyinbos) couldn’t pronounce your name.

How can you tell who they (or we) are? There are 2 main categories – those who just moved back for extended periods of time – for NYSC, a job, or for good, and those who are here for a brief holiday or a major occasion like a relative’s wedding – for a few days to a few weeks.

It depends how well you adapt, but after 6 months to a year, your #ijgb status is revoked.

How can you spot us? Well let me give you a couple of pointers –

• We often complain about everything. The heat. The traffic. The rudeness. Customer Care Service. The questions – When are you getting married? When are you moving back? – (for people in the second category) People not minding their business.
  • We find it hard to “price” things down (bargain, negotiate).
  • We tend to stay roaming on our foreign networks as we are only here for a while.
  • The accent.
  • The way we react to people – shocked/outraged at regular things that happen everyday here.
  • “We” read BellaNaija. Lol

Any other ways to spot us? If you’re a Nigerian graduate, do you think IJGBs look down on you? If you’re an IJGB that thinks you don’t fit in the category completely – maybe you visited every single school holiday and adjusting is a breeze let us know!

Perhaps you only went away for a Masters program after schooling in Nigeria all your life. Do you count? We often hear complaints in our “Move Back To Nigeria” column that anything less than 5 years abroad doesn’t qualify as “moving back”.

Are you reading this abroad right now readying for your return this Christmas?

If your IJGB status has been revoked, what advice do you have for your former group – IJGBs to adjust quickly?

Please mention in the comments!

Just for laughs, see some tweets with the hash tag #ijgb, there’s even a Twitter account @ijgb_ng and website, Lol.

Share your thoughts!

Nkechi “Ink” Eze is the Weddings Co-Editor at BellaNaija. And Yes, she just got back.

Ink Eze is the Founder of AsoEbiBella.com, a platform for sharing African traditional styles.She Modern Culture and Media at the Ivy League Brown University. She honed her skills in advertising and digital media at one of America’s leading tech companies in marketing.She became BellaNaija Weddings editor in 2013, and Assistant Editor of BellaNaija, heading the lifestyle section - Style, Beauty and Living until January 2017. Under her leadership, BN Weddings gained international prominence and became Africa’s foremost wedding media brand with millions of followers across several platforms and coverage on BuzzFeed, BBC & more. #AsoEbiBella became BellaNaija.com’s top feature, with over 1.8 million followers on Instagram. She conceived of BBN Wonderland, Nigeria’s top bridal event since 2015 with Baileys Nigeria.Now she spends her time on AsoEbiBella, and has executed marketing campaigns with local and international brands including HP Nigeria, Orijin and Sunlight Detergent. and sharing her insights with the world. For more Ink, join her on @Ink.Eze | @AsoEbiBella

1. Mademoiselle

December 10, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Hahaha. This is also prevalent in other African countries.
    Smh, my people!!

2. Lolade

December 10, 2013 at 2:30 pm

lool!! here we go! This is me all the way! except that I
    price o! I’m an ijebu babe through and through! Lived in the UK
    since I was 6 (over 20 years) and now back (by choice o!) to see
    what my home land has to offer 🙂 BTW, JJC stands for Jolly Just
    Come not Johnny Just Come.

• Lolade

December 10, 2013 at 3:00 pm

…and another thing! I came here open and with a willingness to make new friends with people from outside of my social group! I went out there with my innocent UK friendliness and open behavior (“Hi! How are you?? my name is Lolade! Nice to meet you!”) But since I have been here, I have encountered a lot of bitterness and resentment from those who have studied and lived in Nigeria all their lives. I found myself having to be careful of the things I say in my office – my holidays abroad and even things as trivial as the type of make up I use because I found that I was being labelled as a show off and a snob (totally not the case!)…..

I think a lot of people have a complex towards us IJGB’s jare.

• Warri Babe

December 10, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I understand but not everyone dear, don’t loose a good heart cuz of some people. Trust me, a lot of negative energy(in Baddo’s voice). Revealing too much might not work in the Nigerian system, understand your environment before spilling some info, otherwise they will start with ‘kilonse baby e sha’ and avoid telling people how much you spent on stuffs or holidays, I avoid it except if you are my ‘personal person, amplified padi’. Wisdom my dear, I had such issues too but na wisdom we take carry ourselves.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

December 10, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Lolade, iz a lie! There ain’t no such thing as “innocent UK
      friendliness and open behaviour”. Ta, I no gree say English people
      fit get that kain behaviour… Maybe if na the scots or welsh, I
      fit gree small… 🙂 You tell that I’m kidding right? But I still
      no gree for dis ya description… And the toning down of holidays
      announcements, disclosure of make-up brands etc. is highly
      necessary, my sista. Make you no dey cultivate unnecessary
      enmity.

• ife

December 11, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Totally agree with you…….i have learnt my lesson in the short period i’ve been back, and now i have to be very careful about how open and friendly i am, and how the things i say could be interpreted by the average Nigerian .

• OmoMakun

December 11, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Girl! And that is why till today, i don’t like talking about myself. I would say this though, don’t stop being friendly, just don’t share as much. Its hard coming from a culture where you damn near have to be open about your personal life and then all of sudden you get to naija and then all that has to stop. Just keep on being you, you would be suprised that they like you on the DL, but just don’t want to show it

• Ikido

December 10, 2013 at 4:08 pm

“Jolly”?…Nope, its actually “Johnny Just Come”. I guess we can add this to the #IJGB category.(You know that you are an #IJGB when ‘Johnny’ sounds like ‘Jolly’ in Naija accent).

• Lolade

December 12, 2013 at 9:44 am

lool! thanks jare! I guess my ears have been deceiving me all this time 🙂

3. efe

December 10, 2013 at 2:31 pm

My word for them is WELCOME BACK.

4. nwanyi na aga aga

December 10, 2013 at 2:32 pm

[email protected] the tweets. Well for the darling IJGB please
    just allow us understand the what ever kind of english you speak
    with whatever accent you decide to speak with. I cant beat your
    hustle but if you must talk to me open ur mouth and loose the
    unnecessary slurs. welcome back

5. nene

December 10, 2013 at 2:34 pm

lol. this is currently happening to my brother now.
    hopefully he’ll adjust. the negotiating of prices,driving in Lagos,
    rudeness, and poor customer service is the biggest shock.

6. AnikeArewa

December 10, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I was truly a IJGB victim last year December. I finally
    went back to Nigeria after 19yrs of living in NYC. Lawd was I
    excited to be in Nigeria but after realizing that I was being
    charged extra for the cab services and massive traffic it took no
    time to missing home. In my two weeks stay in Chevron Estate I had
    a blast. The worst part of my trip was the damn airport. It still
    bothers me how we can pay Chris Brown and Kim K and those money and
    our airport looks like crap.

7. Fashionista

December 10, 2013 at 2:36 pm

LMAOOOOOO!!!! now, that was interesting. Funny thing is, we
    all did it but in retrospect I have to agree that it is quite
    irritating and I must add that some just terribly over do
    it!

8. AnikeArewa

December 10, 2013 at 2:36 pm

All*

9. Warri Babe

December 10, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Sho, na so JJC come materialise to IJGB, kk nau. Una welcome back o. Sincerely, I get disturbed when people complain of heat and the rest, it’s expected, adjust! Be friendly and be willing to learn. I met a good friend of mine who was a foreign graduate during NYSC, Roli(Rolade) participated in almost everything, me sef wey b born bred and schooled in naija no fit do some things. No attitude!! I see that a lot even at work, that you did your masters abroad doesn’t mean you should be rude or arrogant, trust me, 80% of us had ours abroad too and you wouldn’t know, so chill, relax and have fun. Make the best of your stay and learn!! new recipes (na so I like food reach, pardon me), new skills, no knowledge is lost.

10. Lilly

December 10, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Infact, this IJGB pple are sometin else. I get them everyday because i work in a service center. The man that left some hours was just cursing ‘ u guys are bully shit, d network is bully shit, the country is bully shit’ i just laughed at him. The ladies are the worse e.g ‘like seriously, invariably it doesn’t work’ bla bla bla.
    Sometimes i ask myself is it only in Nigeria that thing dont work right or are these IJGB pple trying to make us feel inferior.

• Iris

December 10, 2013 at 5:14 pm

“Bully shit” LMAO! Sorry O. I have to confess I am guilty of the customer service one. Sometimes things don’t work in other places but Nigeria is much abeg. Sometimes you know it is not the fault of the person you are dealing with – like in a bank when you yell at the teller because the ATMs aren’t working YET AGAIN – but you are frustrated, Plus sometimes people can be so rude. One day I lost it at a supermarket when I asked an attendant where to find something and this heifer told me to “abeg abeg ask somebody else” because it was in another aisle and she wasn’t in the mood. Expecting good service has nothing to do with being abroad because you can get much better service when you enter the market or from the woman I get my DVDs from at Adeola Odeku. It’s about understanding your role and doing your job well, and I should know because I’ve also worked in customer service and have seen first-hand how providing good service can make a business grow. Sometimes I feel bad for small businesses in Nigeria that have workers because they don’t know how their workers are driving away customers. I’ve obviously had to get over myself but I think that people still need to make noise so that businesses learn that is important to provide good service in addition to products. That being said, I moved from North America to England for a while and my eyes have cleared. Jand people should stop trying to convince us that their country is “developed”. They aren’t that far off from Nigeria LOL. In fact they taught us well.

• Aku

December 10, 2013 at 5:17 pm

“Bully shit”…deeeeeeeeeeeeeaddddd

11. Mimi

December 10, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Lets not forget the dressing. IJGBs always wear trainers/sneakers under the burning sun. its mostly t-shirts, baggy shorts and sneakers.

• bNigerian

December 10, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Please, those are the RAZZ ones oh abeg. LOL!

12. Berry Dakara

December 10, 2013 at 3:07 pm

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

I constantly call Cakes to ask how much anything should be, before paying for stuff. Don’t ask me how much Lastma collected from me when I first got back! It’s VERY EMBARRASSING!

Dear IJGB, learn from my experience and don’t pay any road officers anything more than N1000 or N2000. Don’t be like me.

• enda

December 10, 2013 at 5:48 pm

sweetheart, im the same! gotta call 2 ask for prices or
      even give someone the phone to talk to the seller.. or when i
      landed in the airport after 9 years of not visiting. i was told by
      the trolley guys that trolley was 1500 naira instead of 150. if not
      that i had been told of the price prior to my arrival… eek
      embarrassed much. or the amount of random non arrivees loitering by
      the baggage area.. or the bucket of water collecting water from a
      leaking roof right as you leave the plane into the airport and of
      course the damp smell.. like people walking on the road with cars
      and jumping at the front of your car to get to the other side of
      the road even right under the overhead-bridge. at the risk of
      sounding overly dramatic- the sound of car horns almost
      distabilised me.. gosh. honestly all the while abroad, i never even
      knew the sound of my car horn truth is that many things are
      shocking.. just shocking.. especially to a foreign eye. dont like
      to complain but weird things happen here..

13. DEe

December 10, 2013 at 3:08 pm

i dont agree with finding it hard to price. Maybe those ones are just forming for their friends. When i first moved back, i knew i was an easy target for people to swindle so i always asked people around for the price even before i step out and i never pay a penny above the price i was told. Come on, they do negotiate abroad too. As a matter of fact, its a very essential skill to have in the workplace.

14. Endo

December 10, 2013 at 3:13 pm

To be fair to us, the heat is a killer. That’s the only thing l had a problem with when l went home. I actually broke out in a rash because it was so bad and l could only stay for 2 weeks. Everything else was awesome! I don’t do accents with my Naija people home or abroad. I was born and bred in Lagos so why would l? I save it for my oyinbo friends and colleagues.

Pls share your endometriosis stories @ endochallenges.wordpress.com. Let’s beat endo together!

• Remi

December 10, 2013 at 3:38 pm

My own problem is the heat too. As for pricing, trust me, even my own mom said haba Remi, you don’t want them to take anything home to feed their children. As for complaining about the system, I only do it to close family and friends who know I am not forming. That going around cursing and complaining like they did not know 9ja has problems is even annoying to me a fellow IJGB, not to talk of others. As for the person who said 9ja people have complex to IJGB, get over yourself please. The majority of IJGB, act all superior as if their foreign acquired experience makes them better than others. Whether it wasn’t your intention to come across that way, check the tone and manner you discuss such stuff and put yourself in the shoes of your audience. Me, I see those IJGB’s as the ones that have complex because in “the abroad” where they are coming from, there is no one to tell your stories or experiences to, that will be awed about it because most people have that experience. It is nothing special, but when they get to 9ja, finally they have people to tell and it gives them some false sense of class. Average in the abroad becomes something noteworthy in 9ja. Check yourself. Unless you were roaming around with Prince Harry, the Bransons, the Rothschilds or the Vanderbilts or the Gates, no one wants to hear stories about your holidays biko. Keep a lid on it. If they want to know about things outside of Nigeria, Google is free and unpretentious. Take offence if you may. I have said these same words to fellow IJGB’s to put them in their place.

• nwanyi na aga aga

December 10, 2013 at 5:20 pm

[email protected] is free and unpretentious.

• Nat

December 10, 2013 at 5:22 pm

10000000000000000000000000 likes for you jare my sister. You hit it spot on.

• The new natural

December 10, 2013 at 5:47 pm

You hit the nail on the head. Who wants to hear their
      stories about their experiences and stuff including holidays too.
      Like people at home don’t have enough stories to fill Hollywood.
      These are people no one from their the abroad knows about or will
      hear about then they come back home and everyone turns to
      storyteller. Keep shut jare we are not interested. No beef to you
      guys I spent 15 years of my life abroad before you think I have
      complex. I would rather hear about the stories and experiences of
      the people here than the same ol, same ol, nothing special. Like
      Remi said. If you were moving with the who’s who abroad and you
      have pictures to prove it, I will be interested. If not. Several
      seats please. Complex ko, Complexion ni

• Mz Socially Awkward...

December 10, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I disagree on one point. We all talk about our holidays at work, in fact it’s coming to the time of year where everyone should have booked a “major” trip away for 2014 and started planning for the other minor getaways for the year. And it’s a topic that’s freely discussed without anyone coming across as if they’re showing off. If anything, it’s what keeps us sane throughout the winter months and maybe this is just unique to the workplace I’m at.

However, this is the one notable trait I’ve noticed in my oyibo brethren, dem no dey take dem holiday play and when dem plan am, na serious countdown until d-day. Plus hearing about all the places that are good vacation spots puts ideas in fellow colleagues’ minds about new locations to visit. So, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with talking about holidays.

Maybe if Lolade was talking about holidaying at Obudu cattle ranch or other national vacation spots, it might have been an easier story to share at work 🙂

• Lolade

December 12, 2013 at 10:00 am

Remi, you must be one of the complex ridden people I was referring to above because your rant sounds so bitter and tinged with bad belle. Look how many assumptions you have made? you have just proved my point and so have your supporters.

Mz Socially Awkard, thank you jare. I didnt think there was anything wrong with talking about my holiday plans until i got to this Lagos o. and the funny thing is that my amebo colleagues were the ones who even asked because they heard that I had a holiday request approved. that’s how the bitchiness started o. going abroad is not a big deal nor is it even something to brag about – that’s my mentality anyway hence why I was so free when I was speaking.Anyway, the bad belle small minded people showed me well well.

its a sad state of affairs in Lagos but I totally understand why people just stick with people from the same social background as them. I.e. people who have grown up experiencing the same things as you.

I know some JJCs can be fake and pretentious sha…I have some friends like that…in London they were living in Peckham and working one dead end admin job but now that they are in Lagos, they form as if the were hob-nobbing with the Queens and look down at the ‘locals’. I just laugh at such cos we all know the real deal. Having said that, not all are the same and if people look past their own complexes and insecurities they would see that as well.

15. Hurperyeahmie

December 10, 2013 at 3:21 pm

lolzzzzzzzzzzzzz

16. Wale

December 10, 2013 at 3:37 pm

The first thing I do anytime I visit home is to find and wear some native attire and speak English without an accent -I try as much as possible not to say dollars instead of naira(another dead giveaway). The trick is to blend in as quickly as possible so no one takes advantage of me when I go shopping and for security reasons. My friends and family already know I live abroad so there is no one I am trying to impress. Just give me Boubou or dashiki and I am ready to rock Lagos. If I want to do efeezee, my shoes, bag and other accessories are always indications that ti ile yi ko…

• Fab

December 10, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Wale that’s another daft thing d IJGBs do. Y wear native unnecessarily? U c dem out in regular places n dem go wear native like odes.

• AREA CODE

December 10, 2013 at 4:21 pm

[email protected] wear natives like odes, kilode!!babe or dude you sure is a vexing one.all he his saying is he Tries to blend well but it came out like he was saying he changes everything about him. best is you dress normal,cause naija people too travels and they have great sense of style, trust me @wale no matter what you wear you will blend well,just don’t kak up(naija for over-dressing , me thinks) like a CEO in hot naija weather or spend the whole day in malls acting brand new. besides its festive season get your flats n comfy shoes and hit the road no pretense!

• MelonX

December 10, 2013 at 4:40 pm

See me, see trouble o!

• The new natural

December 10, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Wale, the trad is a dead giveaway. I hope you know. Funny how you IJGB’s try to blend in and end up sticking out like a sore thumb.

• Iris

December 10, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Chai! You just fell the hand of people who have moved back. Try to blend in? Wear native wear? Really? I’m shy. I’m just shy

17. Marc Francis of Chelsea

December 10, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Lol I come back every chance I get so I defo don’t count.

18. Temmy

December 10, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I was gone for 10years, and when i finally went back last year, not only did i extend my supposed 2weeks trip for another month but i found all the rudeness and craziness exciting.. The things that everyone complains about , I find fascinating..
    maybe its cos i don’t see it everyday or cos i haven’t in a long time.

But one thing tho, U cant be forming Janded or Yanke person and expect not to get ripped off. My naija accent is never too far away. Neither is my bargaining skill.
    I refuse to be tagged as #JJC or #IJGB. And I make sure am always with someone that knows Lagos well

Personally, Going to naija is always like a vacation . I get the same excitement as if am going to Bahamas or Hawaii or any other beautiful vacation spot.

side-note— Conversation between me and my Boyfriend last week
    Me: babe, I want a destination wedding
    BF: Sure Hun, the destination would be Nigeria
    Me: No jor, I want a beautiful Island somewhere nice n warm
    BF: No problem . Lagos Island is beautiful and Hot sweety
    Me: ~~~ Blank Stare~~
    LOL…I just cant with this silly guy

• LL

December 10, 2013 at 9:52 pm

lmao…your boyfriend is funny! and he has a point. Lagos Island is beautiful and hot if that’s what you want 🙂

19. Babes

December 10, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Lool. I remember when i moved back in May. Dear Lord, I complained about every and anything. My room and house had a funny smell my folks couldnt get it. 7 months later…I dont think I am an IJGB. hahaha. I totally totally relate.

• Babes

December 10, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I remember the airport guys searching my 4 pieces of luggage and asking me to pay because two boxes were filed with new stuff with tags. hahahahahaha. I begged and begged and promised their boss that her daughter will be offered a job at my office. Viola!!! She let me go….#Ifshefindsmeehnimsogone#.

20. ebuka

December 10, 2013 at 4:18 pm

My advice to them is simple. They should avoid those of us that have not left the shores yet but are fixing up our accent to sound more like you. Those ones that want to use you to famz. Those ones that want to be the one telling people (strangers) on your behalf that you just got back. Those one sthat go ahead of you to complain of something so that you don’t see them as settling for less but turn around to like that same ting as soon as you start liking it. Those ones that forget their friends and lives just to hang out with Americanah and then go back to our normal life when we see you off at the (h)airport.
    In summary, when your friends here start sounding like your college mates, just dodge them. Look for the naija for life group. I hope I have repented from this life sha.

21. Wale

December 10, 2013 at 4:56 pm

See as you give kidnappers tips for knowing the JJC smh

• Sergeant Wada

December 10, 2013 at 5:43 pm

You said it wella. My advice: The fear of kidnappers is the begining of wisdom.

22. Nat

December 10, 2013 at 5:32 pm

That last tweet tho loooooool. Infact I think the IJGBs in Lagos will be better off than the ones in Abuja sef. When on a normal day, the Abuja ajebutters (or supposed ajebutters) no dey gree person hear word.
    One key point, when you come in better don’t let those customs people at the airport collect any money from you o. They will be forming, it is new policy to collect money from people with more than two suitcases, as they are not sure what things in the remaining suitcases are for commercial or personal purposes. So I will advice you mix up your stuff very well, old and new etc, don’t just pack new stuff separately. If you get in and they insist on opening your suitcases, let them open them. If they are talking, just give them blank stares, when they are tired, they will let you go. I am talking from experience. DON’T PART WITH EVEN ONE KOBO (1kobo).
    Also all

• Mz Socially Awkward...

December 10, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Az in! Just stand and stare blankly while they search your luggage. My standard and stock answer to their questions of “wetin you bring come/which work you dey work abroad?” is “I’m a student.”

When you tire, you go gree me comot.

23. enda

December 10, 2013 at 6:00 pm

yes oh. mix old stuff with new ones so that your property
    doesn’t look like commercial stuff oh and the blank stare is
    power.. lol sad mentality that because you can travel out or in,
    you have spare money to “dash”, nonsense! ” every little helps”,
    tesco life lessons lol acting like they are doing you a favour. i
    save my spare change and give out to whoever, when i so desire.
    dont need unecesary pressure in my life mehn

24. ides of march

December 10, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Ah as soon as I land Hausa mode is activated. From customs
    officers to friends to taxi driver na Hausa. If I could speak my
    dads language I would have added on top sef.

25. Concerned_Boyfriend

December 10, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Who wants to pay my tix to Nigeria…I’m in ATL!…So home
    sick… Pls help a poor student home!

• zsa zsa

December 10, 2013 at 9:10 pm

which kain home sick? com on stay hia and suffer dis wack weather with us jo!

26. Nanax

December 10, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I left Nigeria for the US when I was 10 and I am now 28y. I come back for 2 or 3 weeks every couple of years. I love the hustle and bustle of Lagos, but I may be accused of #IJGB-ness, becuase I do frequently complain about customer service. That is probably my only issue with Lagos.

Customer service is essential. It breeds loyalty. It breeds business. It breeds success. I don’t understand why we haven’t figured that out. It’s like how will I come and spend 1000s of Naira in your shop and you can’t even treat me halfway decent? Haba. And the worst thing…you go to the market and the market men and women will treat you better than their counterparts who are a step or two above them. Restaurants, bars, banks, gas stations, grocery stores….all seem to have the worst of the worst. The service staff are rude, impatient, and just not nice. It’s as though they resent you for being able to walk into their establishment and spend money. It’s really annoying. And entirely too many of us go “Ehen that’s just the way it is”. And I disagree.

I know it’s America’s fault, but I am too used to establishments always prioritizing their customers, to come to Nigeria and now suffer on top I want you to take my order, pack my goods well, or give me prompt service at the bank.

Everything else I accept and even like or love. But this lack of customer service is a real problem.

27. Hadassah

December 10, 2013 at 11:58 pm

God!! I can’t wait to be home after four years!! One thing I know I will def be complaining about is the heat!! Even in America, my friends always ask me if I’m experiencing early PMS lmao!! I just can’t stand the least heat. Another issue that will give me off is the fact that I recently noticed I can’t speak more than three sentences in pidgin without switching to English. I don’t know why this happens and my friends always make fun of it when we are jousting in pidgin. Maybe cuz I went yo school at some secluded Midwest state where u could count the number of black people on the street, talk less of Africans. My accent has changed a lot too. It is such an effort when I try to talk in my original African accent. God will see me through tho’. Either way I’m very excited to be home!! Next week can’t come any faster

• BellaYankee

December 11, 2013 at 7:19 am

It’s impossible for you to be completely incapable of sounding FULLY Nigerian after a mere 4 years. Sounds like a complex to me, please keep it real.

28. KOOL OLA

December 11, 2013 at 12:48 am

Omg, this is hilarious. I try not to exhibit most of these when i’m in Naija but my kids whine and complain a lot, especially when there is a power outage at night. They love going Nigeria but once they touch down, its all about complain about the heat, the way people drive and so on. Despite the fact that my wife is white and was born and bred in the US, she hardly ever complain about anything. She seem to love most things in Nigeria and about Nigeria. Unfortunately, my Nigerian accent is is suffering. After years of marriage with a white woman, working in predominantly white neighborhood and been the ONLY black working in my office of almost 100 employees, It becomes hard for me to maintain a standard Naija accent. I still try to speak pidgin English though. Indeed, bellanaija is my indispensable daily companion when it comes social events and news from Naija. Despite all the shortcomings, i love Nigeria!

29. quiet confidence

December 11, 2013 at 1:45 am

I am usually excited to travel back to Niger. My two issues are the heat and customer service. I also try to blend in as soon as I get home. I change into 3/4 bubu and slippers because of the heat and head to Balogun market with my sister (I love to shop there for fabric and my sister usually handles all the pricing and money). I find the heat so terrible because none of my facial cleansers, toners or cream works. My face breaks out like it is a fertile soil for acne and my complexion gets very dark. When relatives see how I look, you can see the question mark on their face like …..why is she looking like this considering she is a JJC? No one actually ask me but their looks convey it all, especially when everyone looks so fine, makeup is fly in the humid weather, while moi is melting in the heat. Anyway fast forward some years later, my uncle’s wife came abroad and returned to Niger after six months. To find her trouble, I called to ask her how her trip was. O boy, come hear complaints, ….. the heat, my makeup, I got so dark etc. I burst out laughing, I laughed so hard she was almost offended (she was one of the silent, questioning type). I informed her that now she knows what I go through when I travel home.

The customer service is horrendous. My belief is that most businesses have no concept of what customer service is. For example, when a client walks into your business, the employees, starting from the receptionist and every employee you come in contact with, should smile, be courteous and professional at all times. I cannot understand how my people have the attitude of “I am doing you a favor” with their clients.

Please do not get me started on the airport situation. Let’s me just say that I get anxious when I am departing Niger. I consider the whole departure process a no man’s land, where rules and laws do not apply. Maybe this stems from what I have seen and heard.

Despite these issues, I am always excited to travel home. I look forward to getting into the hustle and bustle of Lagos, where you can be cursed out in the blink of an eye, and where I truly appreciate the tenacity of my people.

• O'

January 17, 2014 at 7:42 pm

The airport issue is a nightmare walahi, everything else I can deal with somewhat easily.

30. Seun

December 11, 2013 at 5:49 am

I think the IJGB is a very wily attitude to have ,u kno ure coming to nigeria ,u should be prepared for it,going on holidays in Mexico I bet you don’t act stupid like u dont know how it goes,I have lived in nigeria,the uk ,us and Canada ,left nigeria at 16 years old and all my years abroad,I knew the accent to talk to my people with,on the average I noticed its the Nigerians that bring shame to us abroad that come home to act so silly,the jobless,the broke,the face me I face you living,life abroad they think is prestigious,many of the Nigerians u would come across earn better than you,we’ll I’m back home,and change naira to dollars and my family in Canada are thankful I made the choice..lol

31. Seun

December 11, 2013 at 5:56 am

Living in uk is the same as living in Lagos,the next black guy is nigerian,from london to Wales to Scotland,if you’re not from North America or Australia or something ,u don’t qualify as IJGB,so drop the act,thanks

• Chic

December 11, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I beg to differ it depends on what part of the UK if you
      are talking about Thamesmead, Peckham, Dalston, Deptford basically
      most of East and South East London and them then you are correct in
      terms of the next black guy possibly being Nigerian

• O'

January 17, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Obviously you haven’t travelled widely….

32. Scentiments

December 12, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I found this article sooo true and timely. @ Seun… you are really on point. If you have ever lived in Nigeria as an adult before moving out, you should be mature enough to mentally prepare yourself when coming back home.
    This is a good reminder to send a BBM to my sis “Dear Sis, looking forward to seeing you in a week’s time. Please prepare your mind o so no complaints/grumbling about naija this, nepa that, roads this, police that because i wont be listening. You know how it was. Not much has changed”.

33. itsjustme

January 7, 2014 at 12:11 am

i would love to move to nigeria…but i don’t know how to just pick up my bags and go to a country where u have to be very dependent.