News

Juliet Ibrahim: “I Receive More Favours because of My Fair Complexion”

BellaNaija.com

Juliet Ibrahim Zen Magazine Shoot - August 2013 - BellaNaija002

Ghollywood sensation Juliet Ibrahim recently had a quick chat with Saturday Punch. She revealed among many other things that being “half-caste” is truly a blessing.

Read Excerpts from the interview;
On Growing Up: “I am a half-caste and as a child, there was no colour difference – you are just happy with where you are and who you are with. Then, Ghanaians accepted people for who they are. However, I am being told now that I am receiving more favours because of my fair complexion. It seems people now have issues with coloured people”.

On the real Juliet Ibrahim: “I am just a very simple person. I am hardworking, a businesswoman and a mother of a three-year-old son. I do charity work too. I released two of my singles this year.”

On her relationship: “I am married to a Ghanaian, who is a quarter-caste. His mother is half Lebanese and half Ghanaian. We met several years ago when he was living in the United States of America. I was attracted to his personality and intelligence. We kept in touch and got married three years ago when he relocated to Ghana.”

On her style: “I used to wear anything and walk around with my flip flops. Now, I am conscious of the fact that style matters and anything I do as a celebrity is a part of me. I always have to look my best always. Style, for me, is wearing what I am comfortable in. I try my best to always play with my shape and make sure my figure comes out. I can try any kind of dress. I am very dramatic with my dressing.”

1. Bey

December 9, 2013 at 9:51 am

Nothing wey person no go hear hian

2. Bella

December 9, 2013 at 9:53 am

Abeg, apologies for my ignorance o, can someone tell me what is a quarter cast abeg even if she dey post pix that is ok too. thank you o

• nikky

December 9, 2013 at 10:12 am

I did a double take on that one too. Abeg any answers?

• Chic

December 9, 2013 at 10:22 am

That is someone who has a quarter portion of a different race in his DNA. so if your mother is half white and half black but your father is 100% black then you and your siblings are quarter white but if your mom is white and dad black then you are half white same applies if mum is half white and half black and dad too is half white and half black that would also make you half white

• mama

December 9, 2013 at 4:07 pm

e.g Fade Ogunro of Beat FM is quarter caste cuz her mum is half and her dad is full black

• JACKIE

December 11, 2013 at 7:11 pm

WHEN SHE SAYS SOME PEOPLE TREAT HER BETTER … she’s probably stating her expectations…it is important to her, as you can decipher from the 1/4 caste statement! Yeye woman!

• JACKIE

December 11, 2013 at 7:12 pm

DONT BE DAFT – THE QUESTION WAS ASKED IN SARCASM!

• 2X

December 9, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Quarter-caste = a person who has one grandparent out of 4 who is an oyinbo.

3. Wale

December 9, 2013 at 10:00 am

Air-head! In this day and age, there are still people who talk like this, is she educated at all. Not much in terms of substance…by the way, I am not sure calling yourself a half caste is honorable-bi-racial might be more appropriate.

4. Vanessa

December 9, 2013 at 10:03 am

‘I am a half-caste, married to a quarter-caste’. Your children will be….

• theresa

December 9, 2013 at 10:26 am

caste

• Kia

December 9, 2013 at 10:58 am

Lol! That’s funny

• organicsbymelvee.blogspot.com

December 9, 2013 at 11:02 am

Hahahahaaaaaaa….Dazall!!!

• P

December 10, 2013 at 2:50 am

This comment has made my night LMAO!!!!

• Asanma

December 9, 2013 at 10:49 am

find the LCM of 1/2 and 1/4…

• Jo!

December 9, 2013 at 11:19 am

LMAO

• Iris

December 9, 2013 at 11:53 am

You must frog-jump for this comment LOL. “Half-caste” and “quarter-caste” though hahahahahaha

• Chichi

December 10, 2013 at 2:33 am

hahahaha

• lol!

December 10, 2013 at 11:26 am

LOL!!! this comment though! i literally had to do the math. lol

• Ugly carpet

December 9, 2013 at 12:19 pm

3/4quaters caste…the math literally ..lmfao

• lorenz

December 9, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Omo, na beta calculation I go do for that one oh! Oya! Where is my four figure table?

• brum

December 9, 2013 at 3:03 pm

a one third caste?? lol lol

• Pweetygirlrock

December 9, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Penny cast, lol

• Boondocks

December 9, 2013 at 9:04 pm

f***** up

• Boondocks

December 9, 2013 at 9:05 pm

or confused

5. Madman

December 9, 2013 at 10:04 am

Thanks for being blunt and for highlighting why many African women bleach thier skin. Racism and the lack of acceptance is very real.

6. Me

December 9, 2013 at 10:06 am

just look at this shallow woman objectifying hersef!! ewwww…… Air head much?

7. Chichi

December 9, 2013 at 10:09 am

BN, you people can like to instigate. There is nowhere in this article where this woman said being half-caste is a blessing. You even misquoted her in your title, what she actually said was “However, I am being told now that I am receiving more favours because of my fair complexion. It seems people now have issues with coloured people”.

PEOPLE say, not her. She said, she is being told not that she thinks so herself.

Please don’t put words in peoples mouths, all the ignoramuses that can’t read now will look at the heading and immediately start lambasting the poor girl for something she didn’t say.

• jinkelele

December 9, 2013 at 11:24 am

TRUE – I though the heading was very misleading, nothing in that article showed that heading was her opinion.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

December 9, 2013 at 12:34 pm

That’s what I got from reading the excerpt, too. She also said she enjoyed a pretty integrated society while she was growing up and finds this focus on color to be a recent development.

I didn’t see anything instigating in her interview. Maybe BN just reproduced the same headline Punch used?

• slice

December 10, 2013 at 2:42 am

i never thought the day will come but i’m now consciously avoiding BN partially because of this kind of stuff. there’s enough negativity in the world and there are enough people that will see wrongdoing in everything. No need to hold up a celeb as a target for negative comments when they’ve done nothing to deserve it.

8. Chic

December 9, 2013 at 10:19 am

Why on earth is she referring to herself as a half caste in this day and age? Juliet the proper term is biracial, mixed race or multi racial. The term half caste was and has never been correct unless her parents are from two different caste groups then maybe I will cut her some slack; castes are typically socio economic in origin and do not depend on race so I don’t know where Africans got this term to refer to biracial people.

• Dolapo

December 9, 2013 at 3:36 pm

You are right. Every time someone says they are half-caste, I’m reminded of the Hindu practice which is very ancient. It is a very dumb thing to say. Google doesn’t bite!!!!

• randommer

December 9, 2013 at 3:56 pm

much ado about half caste – who determined what the proper term is? the Americans? or the British? are we either? Is the term half caste used in a derogatory manner? In my experience it has been used neutrally or positively so what is the brouhaha? Juliet the mixed race/bi racial/half caste chick is not complaining. Yes the term is a misnomer but we all know it means someone of mixed heritage.

I don’t understand why we should stop using a term because some other term in some other parts of the world seems to be the PC thing to do.

Before now they will come and say don’t say pikin again because it comes from pickaninny.

9. tish

December 9, 2013 at 10:25 am

Using the terms half-caste, quarter-caste, is just mediocre. Madam Juliet, please take note. And yes, WE KNOW being, to put it bluntly – YALLOW gives you more favours from idiots who have self-abhorrence issues.

10. Been there

December 9, 2013 at 10:31 am

half caste, quarter caste??? na wah o…in 2013?

11. Opsi

December 9, 2013 at 10:32 am

True talk Chichi. Didn’t know Bella Nija has joined the league of sensational journalism.

12. pua.

December 9, 2013 at 10:41 am

@vanessa….three quarter caste…lmao…
    me sef i be one eighth caste….ooshi oora.

13. matilda

December 9, 2013 at 10:59 am

ahh @pua u be one -eight?, am right behind u, am one -ninth LWKMD……….

14. Ada Ada

December 9, 2013 at 11:00 am

Yellow paw paw
    itibolibo!
    rada rada!

15. meldibson

December 9, 2013 at 11:14 am

Every journal or blog needs a “sensational’ headline to attract readers. I dont blame bellanaija for doing this. I just blame the people who will read this article and close their eyes on “I am being told that…”

16. Abena

December 9, 2013 at 11:21 am

oh dear…

17. Modella

December 9, 2013 at 11:42 am

Hahahah..let the colour war begin…I didn’t see her as being pretty anyway

18. Felinda1

December 9, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Stop talking, quit acting and go take INTENSIVE SERIOUS EMERGENCY Acting and English and grammar classes. Stay away for at least 5 years to polish up. Good luck

19. DAMMY

December 9, 2013 at 12:28 pm

so she is married? never knew sha

• Chichi

December 10, 2013 at 2:45 am

Married but busy with 9ja boys. she is here every week even when she is not working going from club to club

20. Dimpled freak

December 9, 2013 at 12:29 pm

So people still talk like this in this day and age? So all the plenty dstv, google, blackberry, android etc and we actually still talk like this? What a HOTT MESS!!!

21. Ugbaby

December 9, 2013 at 12:39 pm

BN wrong heading! Very misleading, though catchy to the eyes of every reader!! But u need be fair to her tho, she didn’t say any such thing. Make that correction ASAP!!!!!! All these cheap media tactics! Not cool at all.

22. maame

December 9, 2013 at 1:00 pm

hillariours vanessa…………exactly my tots hehehehehehheeee

23. LOVETH

December 9, 2013 at 1:02 pm

READ HER INTERVIEW SHE SAID PEOPLE NOT HER. I NOTICE DARK GIRLS LIKE TO BEEF FAIR GIRLS, ME AM IN BETWEEN FAIR AND DARK, BUT THE HATRED TOWARD THIS LIGHT SKIN GIRLS IS GETTING OUT OF HAND, BEAUTY IS NOT BY COLOR BUT BY FACIAL FEATURES, JULIE IS A BEAUTIFUL MIXED RACE WOMAN .WE COMPLAIN ABOUT WHITE BEING RACIST BUT THERE RACISM BETWEEN US…..SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

• Dolapo

December 9, 2013 at 3:38 pm

You are either dark skinned or light skinned, why sit on the threshold?

• Hurperyeahmie

December 9, 2013 at 4:05 pm

since you are inbetween fair and dark then you are one third caste

• miss

December 9, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Lool, I’m sorry that is too funny loool. Naija you guys are funny Lol.

• P

December 10, 2013 at 2:55 am

LMAO!!!! too much

• Chichi

December 10, 2013 at 2:47 am

pls don’t say anything you sound just as illiterate as her.

• Omo1

December 10, 2013 at 12:30 pm

That’s all!!

24. LOVETH

December 9, 2013 at 1:02 pm

25. Lucylink

December 9, 2013 at 1:03 pm

The headline doesn’t match up with the actual article. Did BN leave out her quotes or is this just an attempt to create controversy?
    Sigh.

26. HelsWhispers

December 9, 2013 at 1:05 pm

BN your title “I Receive More Favours because of My Fair Complexion”, her actual comment ”However, I am being told now that I am receiving more favours because of my fair complexion. It seems people now have issues with coloured people”. My take from the first, she is putting it out there (with a touch of pride), second one she sounds like a complaint. BN!!! No need for this tactics, your loyalists will still stare even if you post a blank page

27. HelsWhispers

December 9, 2013 at 1:15 pm

*second one sounds like a complaint

28. Ginika

December 9, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I am clearly not reading the same article as everyone else. I don’t see how she is being proud or how she is objectifying herself. If people are accusing you of something, they are accusing you and if you feel like you need to clear the air, then clear the air. She used the term half-caste cause that is the colloquial term used in West Africa.

29. Amh

December 9, 2013 at 2:00 pm

She’s not pretty o jare. Go away with your caste jargons. Who cares. Our tonto looks far better and more attractive. Maybe in Ghana. Not here. Nija babes are hot fair or dark.

30. Amh

December 9, 2013 at 2:06 pm

At livery, who cares if she’s half caste or not. Your being mixed race is rubbish, put her and funke fowler together , no one will pick her, beauty is the manner you comport yourself and carry yourself and accentuates your beauty. Can she compare herself with Nike oshinowo, p,ease go and sit dnwn down in Ghana andstop parading Nigeria looking for our men.

• kemi

December 9, 2013 at 2:40 pm

lol @ looking for our men! She practically lives in naija!! what time does she have for her family plus this is an intensefly shallow interview!! show can she embarass herself like that? wow!

• Chichi

December 10, 2013 at 2:51 am

please tell her o. she gave her son to her mum and abandoned her husband and spends all her time in 9ja with different men. how do you think she got the most beautiful gal in west africa. who voted for her and who was in d competition?

31. Iris

December 9, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I actually think the article heading makes sense. Most media sources report the news like that instead of writing long explanation headlines. As long as you put it in full context in the article itself, you can use a part of what the person says and make it a headline. When I read the headline I thought “it’s either she thinks receiving favours for skin colour is a good thing or she thinks it is a ridiculous thing.” It turns out she thinks it is a ridiculous thing. I for one cannot understand how Africans have managed to create racism among Africans, especially when you realise that it also applies to people who are not mixed but just light-skinned. Then they’ll go abroad and be making noise about discrimination. I can’t shout.

32. brum

December 9, 2013 at 3:20 pm

she forgot to tell us what caste her son is. half-caste, quarter caste,

33. nene

December 9, 2013 at 3:32 pm

half caste ko, outcast ni. these days even light skinned girls in Nigeria will put hashtags that praise them and demean darker girls. women in general just like to look for trouble. in America, the men over there suffer from inferior complex, so i don’t care about them. and in Nigeria, ibo men tend to prefer lighter women, which i don’t even understand.

34. Victoria

December 9, 2013 at 5:05 pm

hahahahahha… Anyways, Juliet you’re beautiful my dear. Some people should read thoroughly before lifting up their fingers to type.

35. Lillian

December 9, 2013 at 5:06 pm

36. The Real Madam the Madam

December 9, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Such tension. You guys just be mad for no reason sha.

37. Omalicha

December 10, 2013 at 4:48 am

But what is the essense of saying that her hubby is “quater caste”? I can’t with the ignorance here o. Where is she even talking about being mixed and quater mix? From the interview, no one asked her. Shallow as hell.

38. teebaby

December 10, 2013 at 10:29 am

if you google this wanna be oyibo lady, and search for before and after bleaching pix, ud see the crystal clear difference.
    she was much darker…
    mscheewww

39. Ohmine

December 11, 2013 at 6:02 am

very misleading heading posted by an insecure airhead.