News

Pregnant LAWMA Worker Killed by Tanker Driver

LAWMA Bella Naija

A pregnant LAWMA (Lagos State Waste Management Authority) employee was hit by a petrol tanker vehicle yesterday while she was sweeping the streets.

The accident occurred at an Ojota, Lagos road while the woman, Kikelomo Bamidele, was sweeping the inside roads of the BRT lane near the pedestrian bridge, PM News reports.

“The tanker driver had break failure and was trying to manoeuvre the vehicle when he veered into the BRT Lane where he crushed the sweeper. The sweeper’s leg was totally crushed and she lost a lot of blood,” said a witness.

The driver reportedly tried to flee, but was however apprehended by LASTMA staff, who handed him over to the police.

Bamidele was rushed to the Lagos State Emergency Centre at the old toll gate of the Lagos-Ibadan expressway. Unfortunately, they were unable to save her life.

Photo Credit: P.M. News

1. Cancel Reply

May 1, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Sigh!May she rest in peace.

2. @edDREAMZ

May 1, 2014 at 5:23 pm

God, she died in the line of duty….may her soul R.I.P…..
    >>>BringBackOurGirls<<<
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

3. Ada

May 1, 2014 at 5:35 pm

What kind of misfortune is this? God have Mercy! May her soul rest in peace. Amen.

4. OmogeNaija

May 1, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Awww, God! May her sole rest in peace

5. blaq

May 1, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Intact it was a horrible incident to behold because for good 20mins I couldn’t move, tears jst rolling down. I witnessed it and intact more lives would hav bn lost esp those who were @ d BRT station in Ojota if not for a another who used that served as a wedge.
    The Lawma woman was so pregnant and when the Trailer ran into her, wif the last strenght in her, she pleaded wif people to save her and indid people responded bt I cried cx I know she wouldn’t survive. Though the tanker driver was full of tears cx @ the moment he didn’t understand what happened, when he came down and saw the woman, the driver fainted. Hmmmm God help us not to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.
    I honestly would advice that better safety cautions be provided by the Lagos state government because most times when I see these women sweeping on 3rd mainland jst with a plastic caustion sign, I jst feel sorry for them cx if they were better options, I fink they Wil opt into it rather than sweeping. RIP Ma.

• the canadian

May 1, 2014 at 7:52 pm

I’m sorry but your comment makes no sense. Please abstain from making any more comments elsewhere

• Professor X

May 1, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Actually, her comments makes perfect sense. She witnessed a horrible accident that shook her to the core and knew that death of the LAWMa worker was imminent. She adds that the Lagos government needs to provide more safety measure for the road sweepers, especially on roads like third main land bridge ( I guess motorist speed a lot).

It makes perfect sense to me.

• kk

May 1, 2014 at 11:16 pm

u nid to read well bfr yu comment pls

• Nino

May 2, 2014 at 10:46 am

This canadian please do not comment on Nigerian matters…perfect sense was made, I got a true picture of the event including how sad the driver was…
      I am sad to read this story particularly because i knew it will come soon…
      I have been shouting about these street sweepers and the dangers …especially because they sweep at busy times! rush hour! with just a signboard protecting them from speeding reckless lagos drivers me included…
      May she rest well and may the driver not be lynched…he will suffer so much guilt already…God help us o

• Shandi

May 2, 2014 at 10:23 pm

I’m not surprised. Canadians are usually very stupid. What’s there not to understand there? It makes total sense! On the other hand, you should refrain from commenting.
      May her soul rest in peace, I saw the post yesterday and decided not to open it. I finally did. I feel terribly sad.

6. Babes

May 1, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Her comment makes a lot of sense. @the Canadian you should be the one refraining from making any more comments here.

7. Richie's momma

May 1, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Yes, her comments were on point. I who didn’t witness the accident is very close to tears as I type this. Such a sad incident. RIP dear labourer.

8. SOLO ACT

May 1, 2014 at 10:55 pm

a goood woman working hard for her family! RIP woman!!

9. blaq

May 1, 2014 at 11:37 pm

@ Canadian, pardon my typo error cx my HTC one is smarter than u are and tanks to Richie’s momma, professor X and Babes.

10. omalichaspeaks.blogspot.com

May 2, 2014 at 12:14 am

Oh no! This is really sad. RIP ma

11. Dr.N

May 2, 2014 at 12:56 am

Can’t this sweeping be done before the streets become busy? Or small sections cordoned off? I always feel nervous seeing them even on quiet streets. RIP. Meanwhile #bring back our girls #Peace in Nyanya.

12. deb

May 2, 2014 at 1:03 am

I have said it times without number that the lawma officials shooting asses on the road to keep them clean are working under a dangerous schedule because nothing protects them from the carelessness,negligence or omission of duty of other road users.

13. Engr B

May 2, 2014 at 11:11 am

Today, modern street sweepers are mounted on truck bodies and can vacuumdebris that accumulates in streets. Modern street sweepers are equipped with water tanks and sprayers used to loosen particles and reduce dust. The brooms gather debris into a main collection area from which it is vacuumed and pumped into a collection bin or hopper.
    This is what amodern soceity is using
    This woman’s death is very,very sad!The govt should invest on this trucks for health and safety reason.
    I remember another lady just before I left the country tht lost her limbs -tht should aver been a wake up call!Lord give us compassionate leaders suir thismay be the end of thismatter no compensation , nothing and wat was she paid in her lifetme .
    .merger salary