Features

Would You Threaten Your Partner with Divorce or Separation to Straighten Him/Her Out?

BellaNaija.com

Earlier this month, BN told you that Baywatch actress Pamela Anderson filed for divorce from her hubby Rick Salomon.

The couple tied the knot in 2007, and later got their marriage annulled. Fast forward a few years later, they got married again, but 6 months after, she filed for divorce (again).

Pamela Anderson &

Pamela Anderson & Rick Salomon

Pamela claims Rick’s love for parties caused her to file again.

And the joke was on us again, when she and Rick stepped out together again, kissing.

Apparently, according to Daily Mail UK she threatened him with the divorce to scare him,  for him to change his over partying ways.

So we are throwing the question out there, would you “scare” your partner for him or her to change his or her ways?

For example, he or she smokes, drinks, cheats or he just doesn’t put the toilet seat down after you’ve told him for months and months or she takes toothpaste from the middle and not the bottom as you’ve said over and over again.

BellaNaijarians, let’s talk about it!

Photo Credit: Dreamstime/Jason Stitt | Getty Images/Donald Bowers

1. TANTRA

July 24, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I wouldn’t threaten my partner with that, but I would ask him if that’s what he wants. Rather than saying, ” if you continue doing this, I would divorce you” , I would ask, “do you always do this because you don’t want me/this relationship anymore?” That is better. It worked for me once. The guy got straightened up.

2. Bliss

July 24, 2014 at 4:17 pm

I think filing for legal separation or divorce is a dangerous move. What if it backfires and your spouse wants to actually move on with the proceedings. Personally, I’ll find a different way to scare my spouse.

3. deb

July 24, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Oh yes. Men like to have goo women but do not know how to keep them. Men are so faulty and the woman always compromise to patch things up. What a world.

• Tade

July 24, 2014 at 8:55 pm

haha clap for yourself its men this men that you will not know what a man goes thru in hands of you women except if you have dated a woman before.

• Ivy

July 25, 2014 at 10:10 am

Why blame only me? Women are to blame sometimes too dear.

4. deb

July 24, 2014 at 4:20 pm

*good*

5. sum1special

July 24, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Threathen to divorce or separate only when you mean it and not for a JOKE, if not he will take you for a JOKE.

6. maria

July 24, 2014 at 4:42 pm

why will i threaten with divorce i think that is extreme and uncalled for if you do not really want a divorce do not ask or threaten with it cos it is inappropriate. there are lots of things to threaten a man with and divorce is not one of them. i do not care if the man moves on but what if it goes south like you ruin your marriage yourself . before you married a guy you should have seen all this habits and am sure you married him cos you could live with the behaviour you can marry a guy and hope he will change after marriage

7. Kemi

July 24, 2014 at 4:56 pm

I have done it before and will still do so if he goes out of hand

• preston

July 24, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Scared of you dear, can figure out who wears the pants in your home. Don’t aid him love, fight to preserve what you’ve built together.

8. cherypie

July 24, 2014 at 5:03 pm

my hubby actually does that….though not directly as “if u continue like this i will divorce u”. i think its quite manipulative & not right. some day i might surprise him like mrs abah in mr & mrs. i then might turn out the victor & not the victim

• amira

July 25, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I think we wear the same shoes. Before at the inception of my marriage my hubby’s slogan was “I have done this before and will do it again…” Fast forward few years, I now means nothing to me though was so shocking initially. Rather, his threats for seperation is making me prepare by the day for it if it eventually happens. I will be devastated though but will move-on easily. He will loose the most. We love each other, infact I’ve never and will never love like this but when a party in a relationship threathens separation often, it prepares a soft landing for the other if it eventually happens. Man is man, while god is god

9. olabisi

July 24, 2014 at 5:12 pm

uhmmmm,that would have been a smart move if the loving is real,but dis is reality here in naija u dnt try except if the one u re threatening has something wortwhile to loose if not the day u say it, is the day the bastard child will show up…nuff said

10. Slim

July 24, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Divorce threat? E nor dey work jare! The joke will end up being on you. These men aint loyal…

11. Nelly Udoh

July 24, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Just like Tantra said, i wont threaten him with a divorce straight up, rather I’ll ask him if he’s doing it because he needs a breakup. And ofcos, a man that loves her woman will be scared already.

12. Sexy Nana

July 24, 2014 at 7:05 pm

It all depends on how you go about it and if the man really loves you, he’d reconsider his actions in order not to loose you. So from my experience, YES I WOULD!

13. fleur

July 25, 2014 at 3:51 am

I wont call it a threat. I will call it notice because it means I have made u my mind to leave and I am issuing a notice to inform the person of the trigger for a real exit. I wont call that a warning. It is providing information. Chikena.

14. maryjane

July 25, 2014 at 8:58 am

I get that all d time that am consciously or unconsciously preparing for my post divorce days if it comes. It a very bad practice.

15. Ivy

July 25, 2014 at 10:11 am

Men*

16. Igbeyinadun

July 25, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Hmm… I threatened my boyfriend at uni with the break up line and we ended breaking up for good, but I am glad it happened cause I wouldn’t have met my wonderful husband who I CAN NEVER threaten with such. Now that I am older i can see how ridiculous it is, I wont like it if my husband did that and I ma disappointed in Pam for doing it.

17. Single Shalewa, Bitter Bintu!

July 25, 2014 at 6:39 pm

I was actually going to reply with “only a woman would threaten to divorce her husband and that men aren’t like that'” then I saw replies from a few ladies talking about their men threatening divorce.
    I feel that’s manipulative and immature – both male and female. You must really think low of your spouse to actually threaten divorce. Like if I leave you, hmm you’ll die, or nobody will touch you if I leave you. Very pathetic and immature. If push comes to shove, I’d probably tow Tantra’s line “are you doing this cos you’re tired of me?” As opposed to “I’ll divorce you”. Just pray you don’t encounter craze spouse who’d go “yes o! Pls Pharaoh let my people go!!!!, release me from you shackles!”