Features

Isio Knows Better: This Thing Called Romance

Isio-Knows-Better-May-2014-Bellanaija1-562x600I sincerely lay no claims to being more knowledgeable than anyone, but I do confess that better than I did yesterday, last year and a decade ago.

Isio Knows Better is an attempt to capture the shocking and highly entertaining conversation within myself. The conversations between my mind (the sharp witty one), my soul (the lover and the spiritual one) and my body (the playful one concerned with the more mundane things of life). She is the eternal referee between the caustic mind and the sensitive soul. This is Isio. So, here’s to making private conversations public.

Enjoy!
***

“Hey you, I am outside, I have a present for you…”

“Yippee!” I squealed with delight into my cell phone and flung it on the couch and hurriedly wore the slippers at the foot of my bed. I love presents! I wondered what it was.

So, I rushed out the doors with full speed and screeched to a halt when I saw what Mr. Man was holding in both hands…

“SWEET BLOOD OF JESUS, WHAT MANNER OF MONSTROSITY IS THAT?!” My mind sputtered in alarm.

For once I had to agree with my caustic mind. Really. What was that?!

Several thoughts sped through my brain with lightning speed in a nanosecond. It was a teddy bear. A gigantic, four feet high, furry monstrosity. If Sasquatch and a teddy bear had a baby, it would be that.Who MADE that thing? Why would anyone make such a thing? Who would buy such a huge furry object?

Oh crap… someone did buy it.

For me.

And he was standing right here in front of me with a smile on his beautiful face.

“Look at it, don’t you like it? It’s cute isn’t it?” Mr Man broke into my thoughts and wiggled the thing excitedly and its massive head bobbed as he did so.

Cute? That is NOT cute! It’s flipping large! Where is it going to sleep? Definitely NOT on MY bed.

“Yeah, it’s kinda… cute.” I said as I side stepped Sasquatch’s baby and gave him a side hug.

And so Mr. Man spent the next fifteen minutes talking about this and that and I wondered how in the world I would tell him that though I appreciated the thought, I didn’t really want Sasquatch’s baby.

I love love. I really do, and have no qualms expressing it. What I seem to have a problem with is the word romance and all its idealized connotations. My girlfriends have tried, forever, to defend romance. They have all failed. Quite simply put, I am a lover and not a romantic. I simply don’t believe in the word.

It just seems like something we use to emotionally blackmail our partners. I want you to do this and that, you don’t feel like it and so I wail that you are not romantic,and so you quickly go and buy me flowers. Works like magic for most people.

Not me.

My thinking is that there is a certain level of thoughtfulness, affection, and sweetness that SHOULD be expressed between lovers. That is fine and it is as it should be. My confusion is when someone actually DOES these things (as they should) and the partner is so flabbergasted by these actions that he/she has no choice but to oohhh and ahhhhh and coo about it and call it “romantic”. No sweetie, that’s not being romantic. That is what lovers do. Is your relationship so starved of sweetness that you have to elevate an expression of love to romance status?

This does not mean I don’t believe in showing affection o. I will do anything nice for my man. I am all for giving massages, cuddling on the couch (that’s fine), spooning (just for a while biko. First, I can only fall asleep when I lay on my belly, and secondly there is nothing romantic about sleeping on a strong hairy chest and waking up with muscle pull on your neck- true to God!)

I love PDAs (as long as you don’t use it as an excuse to use your tongue to pierce my mouth every time you see a hot dude passing by). I love holding hands, laughing in public, giving and receiving massages and all, but again- please don’t call it romance. It’s called being affectionate with a side of thoughtfulness.

Romance seems to represent an extravagant, unrealistic and highly idealistic declaration of love. That was how when I was in the University, I was at the Dean’s office after waiting forever to see him. If you went to a Nigerian University- especially Unilag, you know how those secretaries get when you have to see their Oga. They could be so rude and dismissive, and would make you come back at least twenty times before they attend to you.

So, the twenty-first time I went back, nervous but relieved that I was finally going to see the Dean. I had taken an elective in that department, but my results weren’t published. Naturally, I was worried. And then my phone rang, it was le boo. If you saw the evil, irritated eyes the secretary used to look at me eh… Odiegwu. Still, I picked it up. He wanted to know how I was doing- I told him I was well but couldn’t talk much, would call him after my meeting with the Dean. He said “I love you”, I said, “Okay, cool… me too. Will call you back.” He said, “Say it out loud!” I said, “What? Dude, I am NOT about to have a carry over for your sake!”

No mind am. Na aje-butter pikin who schooled abroad. He didn’t understand the power that that secretary wielded. She could keep telling me to come back later until it was too late. Nah-ah-ah.

Later that night we got into a big argument. He sulked and whined for hours. Apparently, I was not romantic. And how he bemoaned his fate. Finally, exasperated I had to scream,

“Oga biko-biko don’t come and kill me here, I told you I loved you yesterday, this morning and many times before that. Did you offend me between then and now? No. How many times do I have to tell you I love you in 24 hours? As an Urhobo girl, hence-forth… One I love you is valid for thirty days before it expires! Shuo! I don beg you so teyyy my mouth wan bend.”

He stared at me in shock! Then we started laughing. Later, cuddled on the couch, he told me it was the only time he had been able to rattle my cage.

So, yes.

I can be very loving.

So I do what oyinbo girls do in the movies… I take a deep whiff, look at him from beneath my lashes and beam like an angel.

Thoughtful or romantic? Perhaps it’s just semantics. But if I were to recall the three most romantic moments thoughtful and memorable experiences, they would be these: being thrown three birthday parties and him singing to me in front of dozens of our friends. The moment he gave me an Argentine mare and introduced me to her. Third, being taken out on sea to swim near some caves in the Mediterranean.

Ah… Romance!

1. timi

September 2, 2014 at 9:12 am

i luv u Isio

2. maychinny

September 2, 2014 at 9:25 am

lol. nice one girl

3. sum1special

September 2, 2014 at 9:31 am

I love when my boo sends me flowers..that is the ultimate affection for me.

4. AMAKA

September 2, 2014 at 9:38 am

Isio, thank you for this piece, nobody taught us the difference between romance and basic thoughtful gestures. or did we forget? Peace!

5. Mademoiselle

September 2, 2014 at 9:57 am

Thank you o! Thought I was the only one who isn’t fond of teddy bears, whether small, medium or large! I can’t stand them. Was once gifted one for Val’s day, many years ago…many years later, it’s still in the same box it came in! However, I do love flowers and think they are thoughtful. They just brighten your day so much…especially when they are totally unexpected!

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

September 2, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Like am looking at the bear and I’m just at sea. If it talked I probably would be less perplexed.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

September 2, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Forget them even coming from men (flowers, I mean). A flatmate of mine (female) once bought me tulips as a way of saying “thank you” for something I did for her. A.) She escalated VERY VERY high in in my overall esteem of her; and B.) She turned me on to tulips which I had previously just waka’d past in the shops before then. Once those babies opened up in all their purple and cream glory, omo, I come understand say flower get different grades. And henceforth I started actively buying them on my own dime (honestly, these oyibo people are on to something because there’s just one kain warmth that a lovely display of fresh flowers brings to your abode and your heart).

6. aisha

September 2, 2014 at 9:58 am

Nice 1 babes…love it

7. Tru

September 2, 2014 at 10:06 am

Just laughing and laughing. Ahn Ahn, isio, expiration date for “I love you” kwa??

8. Berry Dakara

September 2, 2014 at 10:11 am

LOL!!! I love this article Isio! Let me tell you what jumped out at me…

“there is nothing romantic about sleeping on a strong hairy chest and waking up with muscle pull on your neck- true to God!”

TELL THEM OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Cakes was very perplexed when I wouldn’t (actually couldn’t) fall asleep in his arms. It’s just NOT comfortable! All I need is my pillow,,, and okay, I can manage spooning for a little bit but God knows when I really want to sleep, I’m wriggling my way out of his hold.

But Isio sha, sometimes romance is sweet. I’m not big on flowers either, because I’m sure they’ll die in 2 hours, but the thought behind it is what counts. It’d be nice to come home and just like in Pretty Woman, you get gifted a nice dress and jewelry and taken out to a fancy restaurant – once in a while o, not everyday.

Love is what sustains the relationship, but romance spices it up and gives it extra flavor.

berrydakara.blogspot.com

• Atoke

September 2, 2014 at 10:26 am

LOLL We need a full-fledged class on what it is about flowers!!! They die…and so darned pricey too! I don’t even get the sniff sniff which makes people aww… biko if you want to give me something to sniff enter Body Shop, Lush or Bath & Body Works. Please… NO FLOWERS!!!

Maybe it’s one of those things watching ‘feem’ has subliminally conditioned us to ‘aww’ over! Hian! Buy me a bunch of Spinach make I cook better efo riro chop abeg!

• Que

September 2, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Loool @ biko enter bodyshop n co…. haba ladies biko make I differ small….. I didnt realise my love for flowers till my ex gave me a bundle every week, n I started looking forward to receiving them sef, for d following reasons:….it is instant colour to whatever space I place them, and the fragrance is noticable once u chop d stem n put in a vase+water n leave in a room….d fragrance just travels around nicely…I even notice when friends have fresh flowers at home just cos of d scent I notice when I enter….its just natural n easy….so yes I am #Teamflowers! Pls just send yours my way if it bothers u too much 🙂

• Que

September 2, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Looove spooning too n i can sleep well there, i go just add small pillow where necessary… The one I cant stand is teddy bear…. same bf gave me teddy bear n I just locked dem inside a suitcase… dont even know where they are.

As far as Romance i’m not sure i know what it means, but I am all for thoughtful memories….please give me a lovely life experience anyday….I.e trip away from stress, solve a problem thats bugging me, just thoughtful acts of service and I shall be ur mugu!

• Emma

September 2, 2014 at 5:01 pm

i yaff died ….

• Mz Socially Awkward...

September 2, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Atoke and Berry, why are you both like this? Ehn? Why? How can you be scorning those tenderly burgeoning feelings of romance which being gifted with flowers from ya man can inspire? Think about it – he hands you a bunch (or even one stem) of fresh cut pink roses and then he says something like, “I thought of you when I picked these out because they’re beautiful, just as you are.”.

Chineke! Thunderbolts of emotion strike your heart, causen it to emit soft feelings and melt your previously vexed face into a beaming smile. “Ah mean”, can somebody say that about a bottle of skin lotion from BodyShop – “This is as beautiful as you are”? Mbanu.

@Ques, truth! Fresh flowers just add som’n “extra-extra” to the relationship and your surroundings, mehnnn….

And Berry, if you change the water in the vase every other day and add a spoonful of sugar, they are capable of surviving for up to 5 days.

• Berry Dakara

September 2, 2014 at 3:18 pm

I KNOW you’re joking about sugar. See enh, 5 days is too short!!! Can my gift last a long time please? Okay, maybe a baby cactus would work for me :p

The thing is I don’t actually mind the thought of flowers. It’s the having to water it every other day. And once they start losing their “lustre” I get annoyed with the flowers and I don’t even want to look at them 🙁

• Flames

September 2, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Lmao, Miss SA, gimme a bottle of perfume n tell me u tink it smells of me or u can say somtin lik, “anytym u spray it, tink of it as me hugging u” or somtin in dat nature, equally effective.

Of course I’ve neva gotten real flowers so I wouldn’t knw

• Mz Socially Awkward...

September 2, 2014 at 8:16 pm

For real, sugar. It’s the substitute for all the sunny vitamins their missing… 🙂

And I feel you on the part where the flowers start to die and end up looking unpalatable….

• Mz Socially Awkward...

September 2, 2014 at 8:17 pm

*they’re missing*

• TA

September 2, 2014 at 11:06 pm

Another tip to keeping flowers fresh is to add some drops of vodka to the water. Yes you heard me vodka!!!

9. is me again

September 2, 2014 at 10:15 am

This article is all about me. I really do not know what to do with flowers too and the teddy hell No. I don’t have the space for it on my bed.

• Iyke

September 2, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Hiaaaa, nsogbu di kwa.
      I na eche mgbe m kporo gi gaaa Dubai before you say am romantic?
      Nne biko, I am not the overly affectionate type of dude…..don’t believe in that flower/teddy bear, ice cream cliche,starve myself for you to eat kind of love’ …… But I know I do have a heart…It aches every night I whisper your name and reach for you in the empty sheets lying beside me…
      (Now tell me ladies, What is more romantic than that)?

• Que

September 2, 2014 at 4:38 pm

The heart ache you just described sounds konji induced….nke I na acho the babe na bedsheet…..romance is bout filling d other’s heart with warmth and affection. But if her love language na bedsheet language…pls carry on…if jot….you get assignment to do o..!

• PIONEERXY

September 3, 2014 at 10:34 am

oburo obele nosgbu….the way our ladies dey think sef afta watching all these foreign romantic films,one babe i was toastn den said i shuld buy her flower. omo i come dey imagine how i go carry the flower for hand,make everybody know say i dey go visit babe.even ordinary take away sef,i will put it inside bag.

• IRA

December 5, 2014 at 2:19 pm

hahahahhaahaahahahhaahahahahhaahha u r having heart ache gi on your own how am i suppose to see an feel it? bikko…

10. Queen of Everything

September 2, 2014 at 10:17 am

hahaha, this is hilarious! Isio well done abeg

@BN: How does one go about submitting a piece to you (e.g. a short story)?

• Atoke

September 2, 2014 at 10:21 am

Hi,

Please send an email to features(at)bellanaija(dot)com. Someone on the team will send you a response on how to proceed.

Cheers.

• Queen of Everything

September 2, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Thanks Atoke! 😀

11. baby

September 2, 2014 at 10:24 am

the only romantic word i’ve ever heard is “baby pls send me ur acct no” nothing as romantic as receiving an alert after the sms is sent .hehehehe,dont buy me flowers biko i’m not a goat

• FERAN

September 2, 2014 at 4:06 pm

He ain’t your daddy girl…….go work for your own money!!

12. Atoke

September 2, 2014 at 10:29 am

And while we’re on the subject… please none of that sprinkling rose petals all over my house and bed and all that… who will sweep after you have finished your grand gesture? Biko… let’s just keep it simple… inugo?

• ms_dee

September 2, 2014 at 11:35 am

hahahha!!!! Atoke has killed me o

• Que

September 2, 2014 at 12:31 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA! You and Isio have brought me much laughter this morning!

• TA

September 2, 2014 at 12:33 pm

@ Berrydakara & Isio,make una nor spoil market for those of us wey love flowers o.
      I am TA and am a flower lover,yellow orchids,white rose petals,pink roses,yellow roses are my favourites. To be honest I love all flowers,even hibiscus sef. Lol :-)u

• Mz Socially Awkward...

September 2, 2014 at 2:06 pm

“Tanchu” my dear TA. See as these women wan erode our hardworn victory of finally getting getting Naija men to romance us with flowers. Make una no start to dey spoil these men dem mind, oh!

• Berry Dakara

September 2, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Hahahahaha! Ndo!

• TA

September 2, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Atoke go away jor. You nor sabi romancing things.: -)

• Isio De-laVega

September 2, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Hahhahaaa! I agree o! Rose petals on my bed ke? Well, I can compromise on that one small sha. As long as it is JUST on the bead and he doesn’t go overboard. None of that drive-way-floor-stairs-chairs-bed-carpet-dressing table baptism of flowery things. (Is it anointing oil or holy water?) abeg o. Even the vacuum cleaner will explode from over- use.

I don’t care how romantic it is – I shall not be wanting flowers on or in my car. *horrified* WAAZDAT?!

If for any reason I come home and meet hundreds of BALLOONS and ribbons dangling from my ceiling—

There is a huge possibility I would burst into tears. Instantly!

But candles and all manner of scented oils I like.

*heheheheheheheeeee!

• Berry Dakara

September 2, 2014 at 3:20 pm

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL @ bursting into tears because of balloons! It’s true though.

Now, I FEEL YOU on the scented oils and candles!!! ALL DAY ERRDAY!!!! Just add music and a massage 😀

• Carliforniabawlar

September 2, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Lmao @ flowers on the car. A guy decided to surprise my bff by placing flowers on her car after work…I happened to be on the phone with her as she was walking towards her car….she screamed loudly “OMG!!! Dear I think someone died by my car!!, there are flowers on it!! L

• Que

September 2, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Cali bawlar whats wrong with you……I just woke my bro from sleep with my burst of laughter at ur bff……meennnn thats one for d ages! O my goodness…..of Allllll the things she coulda thought……hahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!

• Carliforniabawlar

September 2, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Que, lol abeg tell your brother sorry o!hehehe.
      Shey WordPress and my needy boss didn’t let me finish my gist sef…. The Bobo was actually watching all of this go down! He walked towards her and acted like he didn’t know anything about the flowers ( you all these romantic somethings na) My dear, na so my friend asked the guy if she needed to call the police or something….that maybe someone had been the victim of a crime while walking past her car and it was now a crime scene, Chai!! The guy was so confused! He’s Nigerian but was born, raised as a posh Englishman, so my friend’s panic was quite strange to him. Anyways, he eventually had to confess that he was the culprit and teased her forever on how violent and negative Naija people are, that how was it the first thing she implied at the sight of flowers was death/crime and not romance…lols. She just kept hissing and rolling her eyes. Omolomo! hehehe.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

September 2, 2014 at 8:13 pm

@ C-bawlar, respect yo sef, inugo? Because if I choke on this fish bone I dey chop, I’m coming for ya behind! *wiping hot tears of lafta*

• Tee

September 3, 2014 at 11:22 am

JEEEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Atoke! I am at work na. Please don’t get me fired from laughing out loud seriously. Chineke!

• Fumee

September 3, 2014 at 11:35 am

Califoniabawler, Atoke, MSA, Berry and Isio biko nu. Na beg I dey beg una . . .lol You people won’t ki me today. You have cracked me up big time!

13. Ayaba

September 2, 2014 at 10:29 am

hahahahahahah This Isio can describe something!!
    “spooning (just for a while biko. First, I can only fall asleep when I lay on my belly, and secondly there is nothing romantic about sleeping on a strong hairy chest and waking up with muscle pull on your neck- true to God!)” hahahhaha

These flower thing doesn’t do it for me as well. Cuddling, spooning and massages ?? yeaaaah they do it for me anytime any day. but i agree with you, spooning won’t be for too long.
    Then PDA!!! mmhhmmm i love holding hands, chatting and laughing as we take a stroll or sthg.

Great piece Isio, as usual!!!

14. ij

September 2, 2014 at 10:42 am

Chai so i’m normal , i thought i was the only one who didn’t find anything romantic about
    waking up with a stiff neck all in the name of romantic thinz.
    i adopt the everybody go ya corner system biko , i can’t die of heat.

• Vivadrew

September 9, 2014 at 12:57 pm

mbok you all should not kill one with laughter….abeg make una (Isio, Atoke, Berry, Californiabawlar and Ij) noh allow ma boss query me cause would be force to reply “Sir, it’s all about flowers, Romance and PDAs oo” Abasi, na flower dey cause all these ones, chio!

15. nammy

September 2, 2014 at 10:42 am

I riiilly love this piece and I can relate to it. Le boo (lemme borrow Isio’s vocab) rily loves me to sleep on his chest and I try, at least for a few mins b4 I change position, but alas! My few mins is not good enuf, he wants d whole nyt, I tell him I change positions a million times wen I sleep nd I can’t stick to just one position but he turns a deaf ear to me, rily wanted to prove a point to him so I asked him to place his head on my chest to show him how uncomfortable it is nd c how long he’ll last b4 changing, belive me it was a terrible ordeal cos his big head was crushing my ladies but I endured, telling myself “u can do it!” He gav up after a Yle and now he doesn’t complain wen I get up after 5mins.

• Ayaba

September 2, 2014 at 10:52 am

hahahhahahhahha you cracked me up with ‘believe me it was a terrible ordeal cos his big head was crushing my ladies but I endured, telling myself “u can do it!”

• Mz Socially Awkward...

September 2, 2014 at 2:08 pm

You “pipu” are not okay. LOL!!!

• Ibukun

September 2, 2014 at 4:44 pm

LMAO!!! *weeping* LOOOOL, Chai! this is too much

• fyre

September 2, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Instead of “u can do it”……use “yes we can!!!”

• Pat

September 3, 2014 at 2:56 am

This comments are too funny. Abeg I’m in tears

16. ify

September 2, 2014 at 10:54 am

This part got me laughing “Oga this flower no get scent o. How much is this thing sef? Choi, choi, choi, but with this price na wa o… perfume for make sense sha. Anyway, make I no mess up…” . really perfume for make sense. I recall a b’day with my ex where he got me dis funny like cakes that have cream on each layer ( like bread soaked in water..lol) with flowers and nothing else then i really thought menh! a bottle of perfume would have been appreciated. Anyways they say it’s d thought that count but now i am not up for surprises my baby asks me what i want for my b’day which i prefer.

17. nija girl

September 2, 2014 at 10:57 am

Romance, flowers, teddies, cards….no dey move naija girl.

if money no dey inside, perfume, cloth, wrist watch, shoe, phone, eatables/consumables no dey, that’s not romance.

why are thou lives centered on what you can get, eat, wear…?

poverty is a bastard. all these no dey move white girls cos Dias none of that they don’t have. those wey no get for house na dem dey crave for the tangibles.

someone who wasn’t shown love from childhood, someone who hasn’t eaten or changed clothes, is it that one DAT will no what romance is?

poverty mentality

18. Ivy

September 2, 2014 at 11:00 am

You see. Have always known i’m not romantic….lol. I absolutely love spooning and cuddling, i go to his house just for those *bigsmile*. So sleeping on his chest is a big yes for me but flowers? Ermm! NO. I rather have kitkat, twix & lion chocolates than flowers. Flowers look good in the compound but in my hands *yawn*.

19. http://www.14kcheaplaptop.com/

September 2, 2014 at 11:01 am

Hmmmm….I’ve always had that problem le boo always says am not romantic and for the love of me I really don’t know what he wants or how else to be romantic…really agree with you Isio thoughtful and memorable moments are more like it. Great piece! Really cracked me up…lol

20. Grace

September 2, 2014 at 11:06 am

🙂 I love this “Romance seems to represent an extravagant, unrealistic and highly idealistic declaration of love”

21. bumble bee

September 2, 2014 at 11:08 am

Lol!!! Isio correct naija babe!!! But to each hiis own!!! I for one do not see d essence of flowers.. they die don’t they and thankfully havnt been gifted one… now a box of chocolate or a nice Bottle of perfume will do the trick.. as for spooning or cuddling.. now Dts my forte!!! sometimes Le boo complains of hand pain cos Dts my pillow.. there’s just something about sleeping in his arms.. it’s more like i’m safe!!! And it’s not Just sleeping,anytime I have a really bad day!! Once I see him wat I do is Just hold him or lie in his arms and sometimes cry.. if d day is really Bad there’s just something about his arms I ultimately feel peace.. so yea i’m all up for spooning, cuddling etc but flowers puhleease and seems like my body even knows I have allergies so i’ll Be sneezing uncontrollably once I sniff it..

22. Spicey

September 2, 2014 at 11:20 am

Lmao!! Isio no go kee me o! “One I love you is valid for thirty days before it expires! Shuo! I don beg you so teyyy my mouth wan bend.” Lovely.

23. zeeboo

September 2, 2014 at 11:25 am

Lmao I sincerely don’t know what to say…I guess we’re all different and want and expect different things from our partners……the painful truth is that we that expect our boos to be extra romantic never get the romantic ones………p.s being romantic and being thoughtful are the same in my book…….I’m a sucker for love/romance !!

24. Loulou

September 2, 2014 at 11:27 am

Isio yaff kill me with laff today, and even though i am not an uhrobo girl, e be like i get una blood for my vein, cos i can’t kill myself in the name of romance. One time, one yeye ex of mine said i wasn’t romantic, i started asking friends for help, i did all i could and in the end i still wasn’t good enough so i told him to waka far cos me i no fit do pass that one.
    One time, i got a teddy, flower, and one small towel with engraved “i love you”, i oohhed and ahhed but they are in the box he brought them in years later,so perfume, shoes and dresses will do it for me anyday and anytime…
    I am very loving, and i always want to do nice things for you but if you can’t understand that not everybody likes PDAs, or sleeping on hairy chests, then please shut the door after you. Nice piece as always, am hooked!!!!!

25. ada1

September 2, 2014 at 11:29 am

lmao. isio totally cracked me up. abeg we need our “le boos” to read this oo so they stop accusing us of not being romantic.

26. Eyitayo

September 2, 2014 at 11:29 am

Lol @Nammy and Atoke’s comments. Isio dis part “Flowers are nice but I never seem to know what to do with them at the moment I receive them especially if the guy is still standing there eagerly. Oga this flower no get scent o. How much is this thing sef? Choi, choi, choi, but with this price na wa o… perfume for make sense sha. Anyway, make I no mess up…” made me LaughOutLoud. Isio love ur weekly article. well done babes

27. Queen Spicey

September 2, 2014 at 11:52 am

Teddy is a no, flowers are cool unless you expect me to sniff the bunch, then we have a problem cos i have this thing in my mind that an ant will either crawl out and bite me or follow the sniffed air into my nose. To cuddle, spoon and sleep on his chest is heaven but when serious sleep comes, bros abeg maintain your junction cos na belly down things o before the sleep takes over.

28. sweery

September 2, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Hilarious, thank God i’m not alone in the hard chest matter

29. Jane Public

September 2, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Isio, you are just a razz, hard core babe and I mean that fondly biko before the Isio-agency come down on me. I loooooooove romance, I am a sucker for it. Don’t know why you ladies don’t like flowers. Cala Lilies and Orchids and you are forgiven of many sins. 2 dozen white roses come out when he has really ticked me off. He buys flowers regularly because natural floral scents are the only ones my nose can tolerate, I can’t do artificial home fragrances, but when you see those flowers pop up, you know someone is saying sorry.
    I hate perfumes. I have a very sensitive nose and none seem to work for me, even Le Boo’s perfume he had to go through many before we settled on one I could tolerate. I don’t wear them. Deodorants is the max I can go and Le Boo says it helps me maintain my natural scent, whatever the heck that means. Work makes me travel a lot, so he lays out my clothes on the bed when I am not home, he says if he can smell me, he sleeps better. Weird to some people, but I consider that romantic.
    Talking in the kitchen with a glass of wine after work while I cook us dinner, that’s romantic to me, and the spontaneous hugs from the back, sweeping my hair to one side and kissing the nape of my neck, that is romantic. Box of chocolates, biko are you trying to make me fat, please don’t bring those near me. Cakes and Cookies too, Noooooooo.
    The calling me at work when someone or something is stressing him and he wants to hear my voice to calm him down, apparently I have his calm button in my voice, whatever the heck that means, but I find it romantic that he does that.
    He speaks a dozen languages, so when he gets mad, they start flying out like a legion, I find that romantic because you just have to stop and stare when you hear Arabic, French and Spanish flying out, and you think Bros, slow down, we are not having a United Nations conference.
    Seeing him play with his nieces, I find really romantic because those girls have wrapped him totally around their fingers, I can’t wait to make him a Dad.
    He is probably the world’s worst cook but when he makes an effort when I am having a bad day and he says put your feet up let me cook dinner, I find that romantic, even though kai the food will taste terrible, i will eat it like that.
    Bubble baths, showers, romantic getaways, yes, just don’t make it outdoors. All that taking a walk, hiking through the woods, camping crap, he learnt early enough that I am NOT an outdoorsy person. Romance is fabulous, when you are with someone who does it effortlessly. Women allow yourself to be wooed jare, give in to the romance.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

September 2, 2014 at 12:21 pm

We are not having a United Nations Conference!!! Oh my! I just shot a loud laugh in the office.

• Jane Public

September 2, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Seriously, it feels like United Nations Conference. Try arguing with someone speaking another language, hilarious I tell you.

• KDK

September 2, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Okay, now that you’ve reflected my mind, I guess I’m a romantic after all bet minus the flowers sha.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

September 2, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Okay, that taking a walk after dinner or an afternoon nap or worreva… can we please pause and talk about this oyibo habit for a minute? My home skillet married an oyibo dude and I love them both to pieces but whenever I go and spend weeknds, na so-so wearing of shoe after lunch so that we can all “take a walk”. For the initial visits, I tried my best to demur (“oh, don’t worry, go without me, I promise that I’ll be fine sitting in your living room watching tv instead of trekking in the cold for the sake of it”) but na the guy go insist so I had to get my boots on and give up protesting.

When I drew her aside and queried her about why all the waka’ing is deemed necessary, she gushed and said that he got her on to it when they started dating and they now go on long walks all the time, which she thinks is such a nice way to spend time together. I just stared at her. What is romantic about a walk that doesn’t have destination? You just walk and walk and then come back to the house you set off from??? As open minded as I try to be, some oyibo romantic gestures just get a blank look and serious side-eye from me.

• Jane Public

September 2, 2014 at 4:14 pm

If you ask me, na who I go ask. What is romantic about walking in the cold or as you said, walk that doesn’t have destination. After my nice lunch of wicket jollof rice and dodo, I will take a walk. Errrrrr. Le Boo tried to try that with me, and gave up. I looked him in the eye and said Darling, I love you, but if this is a deal breaker, let me know now please. Walking, camping, hiking, riding a bike through the woods, canoeing on the lake, biko the Nigerian in me wasn’t raised with all that. He is adventurous and outdoorsy and I am the antithesis of that. Champagne and expensive hotels with spa’s for me baby, all that roughing around with nature, doesn’t gel with me at all. In summer, I can mange a handful of walks, that’s it. Bugs, creepy crawlies and anything that flies freaks the hell out of me, so half the time I am squealing, itching, swatting stuff away from my face, killing any romantic buzz bros had in mind. I make up for it in other areas and he is a very romantic someborri, I won’t lie. @Iyke, romace, affectionate, giving. potato-potahto. tomato-tomahto

• Que

September 2, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Mz I loove walks oooo, yes ones without destination too….inhaling chill air helps clear d head n restore calm, n there’s the occasional fun sightings as u take d stroll…. I wont mind dat say 3-4days a wk with d boo-especially in d absence of more demanding activities…. I even take dem often by myself…. how much more with good company, my best friend already picked the habit from living wit me for a while sef… looove it… d alternative will be jogging together…

• Emma

September 2, 2014 at 7:01 pm

@ MSA i love walking o., i think i took up the habit from the Convent(we can like recite the whole 20 decades of the Rosary while walking in the Garden, fun memories)
      Back Home for Abuja, i can walk 4rm 1st avenue Gwarinpa(wr my house is) end up @ any Avenue o in the Estate(sometimes 6th avenue sef), if i tire, i go take Keke Maruwa(Tricycle) back home.

But here for Lasgidi, na another tori. i do my evening walk only in Unilag.

Lovely post as always Isio.
      i love cuddling, long Walks, and romantic Gestures like a road trip, Boat riding to Ilashe Beach or hiking with my groups Naija Treks, i also love watching the sun set(that habit is from the Village where @ night we tell tales till midnight)

• Mz Socially Awkward...

September 2, 2014 at 8:37 pm

@ Jane, oya, you need to maybe have a “one time only in every 365 days” proviso to the whole outdoorsy kini because this one sounds like a serious keeper. The bros must be well fit with all that canoeing, hiking and what-not! I repeat – a keeper.

@Que & Emma, the funny thing is that I don’t ordinarily mind walking. Always joked that I discovered my current city by foot since I refused to rely on the bus in my first two years so that I could truly know my new surroundings. If my highly fictional boo wants to walk to a restaurant where we have a meal and then we walk back home, I don’t have a problem with that. Or we walk to church, then walk to the shops and then walk to the cinema, no wahala.

Na the walking aimlessly and just hitting the road with no destination wey just tire me. What kain romantic stroll be that wey no get end target? Oh well, maybe fictional boo will be outdoorsy and change my konk Igbotic mindset.

(As an aside, Emma, I’m very intrigued by the fact you attended a convent.)

• Iyke

September 2, 2014 at 3:08 pm

That’s not romance. That’s being affectionate. Not every man is like that..that is why focus should be on priorities. Am man who is not affectionate will have no motivation to exhibit what you call being romantic.

• Flames

September 2, 2014 at 4:46 pm

@jane, we’re both on d same wavelength apart 4rm d talking a walk tin, I luv dat. Lmao on d united nations conference 😀

• Babe

September 2, 2014 at 11:47 pm

You make me want to fall in love again! Unfortunately three years down the line I’m still shut out to love and all its antics! I dont want to get hurt again*sobs*

• Jane Public

September 3, 2014 at 9:23 am

Oh Ms SA, I do,. We have this family camping thing we do with the rest of the brood twice a year, and there are also times we go out with groups of friends and their wives and girlfriends. Those ones, I go along to because I have other women to talk to, and it is really fun with the children and stuff, but just us two errrrrrrr, I will have to thinks about it gaaaaaan ni. What is romantic about riding a bike through a rough trail and possibly falling down half the time. I bruise easily biko, then he will now be feeling bad when my body is covered with bruises or insect bites. I promise to try sha, Darisall I can say. Lol

• Owelle

September 6, 2014 at 10:40 pm

I love long walks with le boo tho. Gives us time to discuss our imaginations and appreciate nature without the distraction of tvs and phones

• Blackbeauty

September 16, 2014 at 12:12 am

Please where did you find this man? Does he have brothers, cousins, any male relative at all? Wouldn’t mind his pops o! You have a good one there girl b

30. Changing Faces

September 2, 2014 at 12:24 pm

It’s all semantics… thoughtfulness, romantic= I care deeply about you

31. Que

September 2, 2014 at 12:35 pm

In addition to my earlier tots, the romantic gesture I will NOT be appreciating is that whole gathering of my village members and kins men to propose……MBAAAA Honeyyyy!!! I am not entirely convinced I like or want engagement ring sef (just a colourful blinged out band will do n serve for both rings)…..its now to be carrying witnesees for proposal…. Biko I will just cry tears of horror for u pple! Nor try am o!

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

September 2, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Haba Que? Witnesses for proposal? Mogbe (I carry).

• Que

September 2, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Yes na…. why does anyone need a crowd while proposing, or even propose in public….. all dem kneeling at d airport/eiffel tower-like proposals…. mba nu…, I will just start wailing there! .. biko I love solo-ing my special moments nicely! If he wants to be romantic outdoors, try rent out the entire space for just us two, or find a time when its void of strangers….den boo yaaaa!!! Yes!

• [email protected]

September 2, 2014 at 3:48 pm

I’m totally with you on this, biko no public proposal abeg!

32. EB_Pearls

September 2, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Lovely write up Isio. Very practical, thoughtful, realistic and hilarious as well.

33. onlymewaka

September 2, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I don laFf taya today,Isio,I love ur write up. Didn’t even know when the bus stopped for me to alight.
    Anyway,I have benn telling Him that I want a teddy,he never gree buy for me, I love any lovely gesture from le boo,and I call it romance. PDA is totally made for me and he loves it too. Abeg o,wetin be spooning?

• Onye

September 2, 2014 at 1:20 pm

spooning is when you are in bed. Lying on your side, and he is lying behing you on his side, with his arm around you.

34. portia

September 2, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Errrm pls one queshion… does he have a brother..unmarried pls??? Lol. The smelling you to sleep better when u aint around is just soo cute

• Jane Public

September 2, 2014 at 1:51 pm

He has two, Their mama raised amazing men. One is single, the other has a snooty girlfriend, nobody likes, we can chase her away if you promise to be nice. Let the bidding war begin. Hahaha

• Van Gogh

September 3, 2014 at 9:13 am

Do they speak as many languages as your le boo as well? I have a madt love for people who can speak a lot of languages. I am working on my own sef. Learning a new language is a hobby for me. In fact i was created to be ur sister-in-law (as long as you marry le boo sha) ROTFL

• jinkelele

September 3, 2014 at 8:39 pm

I dey bid oh. What’s the starting price?
      By the way I can speak spanish Hehe

35. Etebefia

September 2, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Flowers………….I am the flower queen and i will tell you what to do with them. Always have a flower vase in your house. Fill it up with clean water, infact mineral water is best, add two aspirins or paracetamol(1000mg) into the vase, then put the flowers inside. Place the vase in a cool room, that has sunlight streaming in. The flowers should keep for a week. Romance is something a lot of African men don’t know about, because their Fathers including mine was never romantic. But is so important that a guy cares about you and is not afraid to show it. I don’t need you to be oyibo man, just be nice and decent. I once broke up with a guy, because he crossed the road without holding my hands or looking back to see if i was okay. I told him that his heart wasn’t with me. I would never cross the road with a loved one beside me and not hold the persons hand. Little things do add up in a relationship!.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

September 2, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Like, like and LIKE about men who don’t look out for the safety and welfare of their women in little things and yet profess undying love. I can’t understand it.

36. Asgrl

September 2, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Argentinian Mare (horse), holiday in the Mediterranean…..hmmmmm. Jennifer Lopez lied when she said love don’t cost a thing.

• Iyke

September 2, 2014 at 4:35 pm

No mind Isio. She’s a criminal.How many Nigerian men know wetin be Argentinian Mare?
      holiday in the Mediterranean ..on top wetin? lol

37. Onye

September 2, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Me, o, I love romance. The problem is in Nigeria, if a boy asks if you are ready for romance, it means he’ll start rubbing his hands all over you. Abeg, no O! I need thoughtful gifts. Not just because you have money to buy it but because either you remembered I asked for it or you know I’ll need it. One boy bought me a book that I would need for my studies, as well as pyjamas for my birthday. He also travelled from the east to Abuja to come to my birthday party. Boy was smitten. At first I thought why wasn’t it flowers then my sister told me abeg. Anyone can buy flowers, but this guy was thinking of you when he bought those presents. The problem was I didn’t like him. He is now married with a baby. I am happy for him because that’s what he wanted but I hope I can meet someone I’m attracted to that will love me like that man did.

38. lila

September 2, 2014 at 1:21 pm

isio delavega…you have killed me( its a good thing im the only one around in my office as i have been laughing like a mad person due to your article)
    i think romance is subjective to each person.i like flowers and food A LOT.unfortunately its only the scumbags i have encountered that understand this. all my genuine toasters are just razz..na only to take me to comedy shows and psquare concerts them know.
    @janepublic ..does le boo have a brother, cousin or best buddy?

• Jane Public

September 2, 2014 at 1:51 pm

• lila

September 2, 2014 at 5:54 pm

oya…how much for the hook up!!let him not be too cost oo(girl has to eat and pay bills )
      what is the terms and conditions of payment? *raising up hands and saying” i swear to be loyal and honest and if anybody attacks you or even says a bad word against you on BN , i promise to voltronise their ass”*….How is that for being nice

• Jane Public

September 3, 2014 at 9:24 am

Hahahahahahahaha. Very nice. Lol

39. mii

September 2, 2014 at 1:26 pm

I love flowers but I can’t let the hubby spend tons of $$$ on flowers when I go to the grocery store every week or other week and get same or better arrangement for 1/4 of the price (Most of the time I get 2 arrangements from 1 purchase) and I get to pick exactly what I want and I don’t smell nothing either in them flowers I just like the colors. Teddy bears, I think just like barbies after awhile you need to outgrow them things. I on the other hand believe in romance, that’ expression of love with a side of thoughtfulness as you put it. But why don’t guys get the whole cuddling to sleep deal is not ideal at all. For awhile it was an issue with me and hubby. I can’t sleep being held I need the cool air all over me that extra body heat is not ideal for bedtimes.

40. mrs chidukane

September 2, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Spooning, cupping, lying on chest, count me out joor. The hot air from his nostrils is a huge no no,i’m also very claustrophobic. By the way, I once heard a story of a teddy bear pressing a girls breasts while she was asleep, *evil laughter * My kids won’t be getting any

• Somebody

September 2, 2014 at 2:58 pm

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Berry Dakara

September 2, 2014 at 3:22 pm

“The hot air from his nostrils is a huge no no”

GURLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!! I’m not trying to suffocate from carbon dioxide poisoning!

• Fumee

September 3, 2014 at 11:54 am

Mrs. Chidukane biko nu o. . . . I dey office o..lol…. kai!

41. lol

September 2, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Most romantic/thoughtful experiences; I recently lost my sister, and nothing prepares for the pain of losing a loved one, my hubby came in one day from work while I was home and looked me in the eye and said “I know you are not yourself right now although you are trying really hard to pull yourself together. Don’t worry we will get through this together.” I mean what do you say to that? I know it is what lovers/spouses do but when do many actually come out and say it that they are with you in it for the long haul.
    Planning a weekend of activities for my birthday. I am usually the planner whether it is my birthday or his but he decided to plan it this one time and he had activities for the entire weekend nothing pricey or expensive just things he knew I would love to do like see a movie I had wanted to see for a while but work and life had not allowed me to see it.
    Coming home to a nice cooked meal and a clean house on a Friday night, I usually clean house on weekends when I have the time but I have a very busy work life, that by Friday I am completely exhausted and just needing to rest, many times if my hubby is not working late on Friday, he makes sure that the house is cleaned and either cooks (and he is not the best cook either) or tells me don’t bother to cook let me take you out to dinner, now that just melts my heart.

• Berry Dakara

September 2, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Awww, I’m really sorry for your loss.

And thank God for your husband!

• Authentic Sunshine

September 2, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Awwwww ……….. Sorry for your loss. Take heart nnula. It’s hard to say the right things with bereavements but take heart ohhhh. Warm hugs and kisses.

42. ebony87

September 2, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Isio, you are just super abeg. You really crack me up. Thanks for making real life matters so easy to understand and laugh about.

43. yetunde

September 2, 2014 at 2:06 pm

omg! this z basically hilarious! wonderful article isio!

44. zeeboo

September 2, 2014 at 2:29 pm

I think this is the best article I’ve read on here so far 😀

45. Tosin

September 2, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Very nice writing.
    Romance is nice. It doesn’t have to be a teddy bear or cliche.

46. SAP HCM

September 2, 2014 at 2:35 pm

@ Lol Soo sorry love. Ndo ohhhhh!!! You will be fine.

47. Iyke

September 2, 2014 at 2:48 pm

I share your sentiment on the issue of romance and also tagging affectionate behaviors as being romantic. I think that Romance stems from a giving personality from which it was invented, especially for formal courtships. This is why it has become the single most important way we validate ourselves, which hitherto has created an unimaginable burden on us and pushed people to get stuck in a habitual search for a positive reflection of themselves.This burden has become so narcotic that it has simply dull the lack of power over our own lives.
    People who are affectionate get pleasure from pleasing their partner. If a woman is chasing men who are not fundamentally giving men, she will get no romance from them.
    My take is that If a woman hopes to find a suitable guy for a relationship or to become her life partner, she needs to figure out her priorities. If romance is important, she needs to seek affectionate men. A man who can get any woman has no motivation to be romantic.

48. abi

September 2, 2014 at 3:03 pm

I once got a teddy for vals and I gave a male friend to give his gf cos he cldnt afford a gift for her at d time,nd I did d delivery she was sooooo happy.

49. debs

September 2, 2014 at 3:13 pm

This is definately a ladies conference.
    Flowers… Ilike them so long as it not a gift for me. I mean, I appreciate a flowered hall, church and even an apartment but DONT make it a gift for me. If I feel the need to get one I will do that myself so don’t go feeling that you just played a romantic fancy on me.
    I liked teddies growing up but I have shifted from the “teddy love” idea. I will also get one if need be, just as i will get a pillow for me if and when I want.
    Do ladies really sleep on a hard rocky chest all night? I could start the night with it but as soon as sleep takes over, I will definately get comfortable. reach out for me in the morning and I will come to you.
    I love to touch but nothing forceful. Appreciation is in the fact that it comes spontaneous.
    its really touch for the inner mind to know what is roantic cos so long as others are doing it then it romantic. In other words, what is romantic or not must have a general defination not what suits an individual.

50. Lala lander

September 2, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Romance to the best of my Knowledge Simply means a love affair. “-ic” is originally Greek which basically means pertaining to . Therefore, romantic means pertaining to a love affair /relationship. I think you are tired of the overuse of the word but IMO, every thing you described is a romantic gesture Used to express your feeling Of love WHICH, as you rightly noted, should happen in relationships.
    Therefore, thoughtful, affectionate, kind and sweet or even cute are all romantic even more so when they happen together at once. That is why some people ooohhh and aaahhh or grt wet eyed. Some on the other hand are overly emotional and won’t react in this manner.
    BTW, Cuddling in bed doesn’t necessarily mean that you lie on “his hard hairy chest”. If you just don’t normally like having body contact that’s fine. However, if you don’t mind body contact, you can ACTUALLY spoon (lying back to chest with your (or his) waist/ thighs setving as a cradle for the other person) or since you lie on your tummy, you (or he) can spread your limbs across yourselves, etc
    Also when/ if you are pregnant, you’re are going to lose that sleeping position. Enjoy it now

51. oyaga

September 2, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Lol. No guy has commented so far? Heheheee. Isio stop mentioning this le boo le boo please, it breaks my heart all the time, because you are my wife in my head.

52. menoword

September 2, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Flowers/jewellery do nothing for me. What works for me every time is a gift of something I particularly enjoy – a restaurant I’ve talked about, some shoes I’ve always wanted…personal gifts.

For me romance is not PDA and public kisses and all that, although those are nice. Romance, like you said Isio, is daily consistent thoughtfulness and consideration, carried out as a way of life

53. Flames

September 2, 2014 at 5:08 pm

I dnt get y pple dnt like cuddling n spooning, dat is d best way 2 relax, feel happy, protected, peaceful, etc I can stay dia 4 1 week witout getting up 4 anytin, lmao. And I dnt knw abt hairy bt I dnt mind a hard chest so far as it has ‘bumps and gallops 😉

54. miss max

September 2, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Isio, you rock on this. Being affectionate is being thoughtful; getting him or her those things that matter to him or her. not watching somethings on teevee or seeing what others do and you want to practice it. abeg abeg abeg!! even my 5year old neice will ask you what you got for her even while holding a teddy bear infront of her. flowers, they are meant to be in the garden.

55. onlymewaka

September 2, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Tanks onye for letting me know what spooning is, and am still laffing hard!

56. babygiwa

September 2, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Romance is when I know he did something genuinely for me. And I’m a sucker for spooning

57. portable

September 2, 2014 at 8:01 pm

teddies are cool and flowers are not bad, but to turn my head; write me a letter in your handwriting(assuming your handwriting is fine o) saying things that are sweet, true and worth remembering. or sing me a song. that’s just so sweet I’ll never forget. alas tho, nothing says ‘i love you’ like being there when it really counts and taking something that reminds you of me everywhere. odikwa super sweet!

58. Kiks

September 2, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I love this lady to bits!

59. teekay

September 2, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Lmao these as just been the best post ever on BN, lovely comments

60. richbee

September 2, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I am totally in love with isio humorous and’natural minddd.this write up and the plenty gists dat followed made me abandon watching my favourite tv show. ..thumbs up isio..btw I hate flowers but love spooning die especially to feel d ghen ghen prodding my behind…chaiiiiii drais God oooo all u bad bad shildren

• aj

September 3, 2014 at 1:55 am

hmmmm you are a bag girl richbee. lol

61. Tru

September 3, 2014 at 5:55 am

I sooo love hanging out with the BellaNaija community, especially on Tuesdays!!!

62. FERAN

September 3, 2014 at 8:10 am

Romance is getting home totally knackered, falling asleep on the sofa after dinner and waking up to a squeaky clean kitchen and living room with my daughter tucked in bed. I love my hubby…….lol

63. Annie

September 3, 2014 at 9:32 am

It is the ghen touching my behind that scares me lols, ghen ghen has levels ooo, hard core ghen ghen is badt, plus the stiff neck i always wake up with, abegi, i like lying faced down, thats how i like to take off to la la land, sometimes i wake up faced up tho. teddies mba oo, flowers, oh yeah, got those while in d uni, bf then was an oyinbo wannabe, birthdays-flowers, val-flowers/icecream lols…right now, no flowers, no card, just give me some love/sugar and do something really thoughtful shikena..

64. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

September 3, 2014 at 1:56 pm

…..and @jscgrl is where?

65. genevieve

September 3, 2014 at 5:49 pm

@jane public. Just wondering if you’re a cabin crew cuz of ur travel work?? Lol

• lol

September 3, 2014 at 11:28 pm

mind your business sweetie

• Kermit

September 5, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Tears.

66. Laface

September 3, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Association of Hard Core Lovers…You Babes are doing it the gangstar way huh..? :).
    Plse while we are on this romance matter, can we add Cards to the discussion. Not the cards for ocassions (like birthdays or anniversary) but those ‘I miss you, thinking of you’ cards.

Mehn, i INSTANTLY get infuriated by those from Le Boo when it is not accompanied by a nice dress or a pair of shoes or something! What do i do with the card after reading it bikonu?

67. mamamia

September 4, 2014 at 1:26 am

Best BN comments ever! Literally, laughed my self to sleep..

68. uncensored chic

September 4, 2014 at 7:58 am

All of una won’t kill me this early momo oooooooo. Na muscle pull pain u, u totally forget d forceful holding u close part like u re going to be kidnapped b4 daybreak.
    Letters kill me anytime,anywhere and anyday dearies, with nice pesky little artworks I will fall in love with you all over. I’ll do flowers cos of the acting that comes with it; looking d guy from beneath my eyelids and saying he is so sweet and he starts feeling fly, not bad. BUT my ‘I love you” sef get expiring date ό̲̣̣̣̥, y I go wan talk am round the clock…

• Ose

September 4, 2014 at 10:03 am

*no comment*

69. Ninii

September 4, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I love this community *wide grin*. keep the comments coming please. And yes, I’m a cuddler and a proud lover of spooning.

70. Girly

September 5, 2014 at 1:00 am

I love flowers but not teddies especially the huge one Isio described in the write up. Where do I keep that kind of thing biko? But I usually regard any thoughtful as gesture romantic though. I once bought a table top glass decor that says “you’re someone special” for an ex-boyfriend, He had been on a holiday and we hadn’t seen each other for sometime so I went to a gift shop to buy him something and when I saw what was written on that particular gift I chose it. On receiving it his face became stone, when I queried further he said what do I expect him to do with it, I was so shocked that anyone would act like that on receiving a gift. That’s what led to our breakup oh, I can’t shout!

71. Girly

September 5, 2014 at 1:03 am

*thoughtful gesture as romantic

72. i love BN

September 5, 2014 at 2:40 am

God, i love this blog….see tears running down my cheeks, my colleagues probably think ive lost it

73. Georgia

September 9, 2014 at 1:30 pm

U know better indeed!

74. Phil

September 26, 2014 at 4:25 pm

I love this blog to pieces…I’m actually new here