Features

Faizat Badmus-Busari: Where Does Hope Lie For Nigeria?

Let me begin this article by asking this pertinent question -“do you have hope or faith in the government of Nigeria as a Nigerian?” Looking back at the time (which seems so far now) when the chibok girls were abducted by the dreaded Boko haram militants, I recollect going on a Nigerian blog site as I do daily and reading the headline “Over 200 hundred girls abducted by Boko Haram from School” and I scrolled right down past it without giving it a second look or opening to read the story further. Suddenly, I realized over 200 girls!!?? Kidnapped? and scrolled up to read the story.

The question is why? Because every day I go on a Nigerian newspaper site or blog, I read similar news, “20 girls abducted”, “two girls missing”, “10 people shot” “5 feared dead” and there has hardly ever been a time where there have been follow up stories of the perpetrators being caught or brought to justice. I played a scenario to my supervisor; I told her “if I was called today and I was told my friend was arrested by the Nigerian police, the first thought that comes to mind is the torture the person may have gone through with or without having actually committed an offence”.

My boss asked me “how do you change that”? I said my first thought would be change within ourselves, by realizing that we as citizens can push for a change without the support of the government. But the question on many minds would be how can we make such changes without holding our government accountable? As much as I believe that raising awareness and holding government accountable are forms of change; but there is no better change that can be achieved than change within ourselves as citizens. How can we use the lack of hope – the “I don’t care”, the “we already know what will happen” attitude to our advantage?

My personal thought to this issue is using our power to vote our candidate as a tool; but again what comes to mind is – “the election we already know that it would be rigged” “why would I waste my time and stand in the sun?” As youths do we just give up? Do we just leave everything to the hands of the greedy few in power? Or do we take charge of our future.

In this respect, one can recall the indelible words of Rachel Jackson- “Our youth are not failing the system; the system is failing our youth. Ironically, the very youth who are being treated the worst are the young people who are going to lead us out of this nightmare.”

Can we lead Nigeria out of its current Nightmare? How can we get back the hope of the Nigerian youth for a better country? Ladies and Gentlemen, let us brainstorm on the best ways to salvage our nation’s fortunes and place Nigeria back on the right path.

Your comments, views, opinions and suggestions are highly welcomed and appreciated.

Happy Independence day Nigeria

#BringBackOurGirls – 170 Days and still missing.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Kadettmann

Faizat Badmus-Busari is a qualified Lawyer, currently undertaking her Doctorate studies at Emory University School of Law, focusing on Gender Rights and Religious/Cultural pluralism in Nigeria. She is happily married with a daughter. Her LinkedIn profile can be viewed here

1. www.phatymah.blogspot.com

October 3, 2014 at 3:18 pm

The answer to your first question…I have hope and faith in the government of Nigeria but not the current government. I believe in a better government. When I feel and see one, I will let you know.

Honestly, the youths are trying their best. The government isn’t just making it easy. The youths are neglected which makes us feel like we don’t belong. Which leads to discouragement. The youths haven’t given up though.

I read of a movement made by some youths saying they are in the process of forming their political party. I feel it will be a good change if they will handle it with no differneces..

2. bruno

October 3, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I’m about to say the truth and I know its bitter. Nigeria is not going anywhere,ignorance and mediocrity is celebrated in nigeria daily.the nigerian youth,who are suppose to have a fresh perspective and ideas on issues, don’t. I have neve met someone in this country who is forward and civilised in the way they think. Everybody has the same mentality,even on this blog, many of u people are so stupid,and one thing about nigerians, is when someone says something stupid, the rest start to copy that stupid saying, no body has a mind of their own, everybody screams, they want change, but let’s face it, nigerians don’t want change, nigerians can’t even recognise change, someone like me, who thinks outside the box, trying my best to educate and change the way nigerians think, I am labelled a troll and a hater, a bad be-lle. I think nigerians deserve the bad that is happening to them. And lastly that thing called “RELIGION”. Nobody has ever answer my question. When has religion solved a problem or cured a disease. The answer is NEVER, religion promotes ignorance, stupidity and violence.a place Where religion is common, just know there will be ignorance. Church and mosque everywhere. If religion is so good, why isn’t nigeria progressing, nigerians are the reason why politicians are government officials are stealing and destroying this nation. I can go on and on but I will stop here (my fingers are hurting) by the way, the average nigerian is a wicked, angry person who hates his or her life and is always looking for someone to blame or pour their anger on. I avoid nigerians as much as possible cause any small thing they can get violent, and fight will bust immediately (I’m too pretty to be fighting biko)

• Mordi

October 3, 2014 at 6:10 pm

I can sense a bit of how hurt you feel. But guess what – so is everyone. Only the natural can destroy and only the natural can fix. And human can very much steer many aspects of the natural..

Do these problems exists and are real? YES! But when institutions perceive authority as the best response to disobedience and yet fail to see disobedience as a response to the way authority has been, then these problems remain.

I love complaints about problems. It spells dissatisfaction with the current and the zeal to correct. It shows that the human is still capable of discerning between what is right and what is wrong. Blame however is a sign of weakness, self-defeat, conformity and fear.

The average Nigerian is human and as humans we have the ability to hate, to envy, and to embody fear. But we also have the ability to love, care, dream, hope and aspire. We can become a new generation. A generation of fixers. We can go further and create that future that we desire.

3. Dee

October 3, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Well said dear, we are so lackadaisical in everything, we are used to the normal Nigerian factor ‘e go better’ while no single change is being effected. Same ‘money politics’ by our politicians with no manifesto. Let’s all rise up and bring out the change we want!

4. Josiah

October 3, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Nigerian youth has a long way to go. Corruption is our major problem. Fight corruption, 80% of Nigeria problem is gone.

5. Mordi

October 3, 2014 at 5:39 pm

The reason why we still experience these problems is because everything is criminally STUPID these days. Not STUPID as in SENSELESS; not STUPID as in LAUGHABLE; not STUPID as in DULL. Not STUPID as in empty of REASON and LOGIC. But STUPID as in empty of PASSION, REBELLION, and IMAGINATION. Empty of WONDER, GRACE, & TRUTH.

The WORLD does not OBEY REASON because reason CANNOT bring anything NEW. But there are HIGHER logics than reason – INTUITION, DREAMS, INSTINCT, INSPIRATION, BELIEF, LOVE, FAITH, DETERMINATION, COURAGE, WISDOM, OPTIMISM….. These ELEMENTS are more POWERFUL than reason. And YOU and ME and EVERYONE OF US possess these HUMAN ELEMENTS.

If we do not use these elements for the BETTERNESS of not just ourselves but for the BETTERNESS of other PEOPLE and our ENVIRONMENT, then everything remains STUPID and SENSELESS and FRUSTRATING.

Therefore, we have to DAMN what is REASONABLE, CHALLENGE the current WRONG and STRIVE to EMBRACE what is GREAT, NECESSARY, NOBLE and TRUE.

We need to CHANNEL these HUMAN ELEMENTS into BUSINESS. Yes, BUSINESS!!! But not just the OLD system of business that SAYS: “I’ll offer you a PRODUCT or SERVICE, in exchange for your CURRENCY. And you will have MORE.” But through BETTERNESS centered on our CORE NEEDS of HEALTHCARE, EDUCATION, ENERGY, CLOTHING, AGRICULTURE, SECURITY, SHELTER…..that says: “Through the act of EXCHANGE, I’ll IGNITE your HUMAN POTENTIAL. You will be and become BETTER—fitter, SMARTER, CLOSER, WISER, TOUGHER, HUMBLER, TRUER, in terms that ADD up to a life MEANINGFULLY well lived.

And then we SHALL have 21ST CENTURY companies that EXIST to make PEOPLE, COMMUNITIES, and SOCIETY as BETTER off as POSSIBLE. Businesses that do NOT just make MONEY, but MEANINGFUL money.

It is going to be DIFFICULT, but we HAVE to do it ANYWAY. For we’re trying DESPERATELY not to CARE. And It’s SEEMING like the only thing we now REALLY care about.

6. Motunrayo Segunmaru

October 3, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I am totally guilty because,i have the mind set of not voting but we really need to realise that the change begins with me, and a positive rethink need to be done with people of our generation.
    The change begins with me n you…yes you!

7. someone

October 3, 2014 at 8:49 pm

@Bruno sorry to say but what u just said about Nigerians is exactly who you are..you are angry, bitter and not positive And truly a bad belle person…fae lovely article and I agree with you we the youths need to stand up and fight for change because very soon we will take over but we have to take over with a new attitude far away from out present leaders, so that the next generation won’t suffer like us and will have a good platform to be better, they will be encouraged and we will be proud.

8. igbokesa

October 3, 2014 at 10:59 pm

my dear’ its absolutely wrong for one to change where he is without having better place to be. what most of us believe is what they say’ if you cannot beat them you join them. our leaders are to blamed both past and present. can you imagine our leaders uses our god given natural resources to oppress us. they fail to provide us with our need irrespective of enough resources in our environment but choose steal and lotto the whole thing to come back again thief the remaining ones. may god help us

9. Akinyele Segun

October 4, 2014 at 6:45 am

As much as I want to agree that our votes might count ( although very unlikely) I think it is also important for us to have a yard stick to verify the credibility / integrity of candidates to be voted for. Do not forget that most times we get carried away by sweet well prepared manifestos,religious backgrounds, ethnic sentiments and all there by voting the wrong candidates.Am saying beyond registering to vote there should be a public enlightenment campaign on what Nigeria issues are, how to tackle them then what aspirant can provide solutions to these problems. The Population of Nigerians in the far east north is huge and this group of people have deep fanatical beliefs in there religion,so again in my thought am saying beyond rigging there are more factors to be looked into that might make our votes unimportant. Rather than vote I want to belief our campaigns be focused on the Literacy level of the electorates.God bless Nigeria.

10. NaijaPikin

October 4, 2014 at 11:22 am

My heart has been heavy since I saw the beheading video of the nigerian soldier. What is more worisome is the comments I’m seeing on SR.

Pple are blaming Islam, blaming Christianity, calling the video a fake, calling the soldier fake. All of this, after this soldier has been identified by family and friends. Young man, married, someones child, someones homie. Attended AFMS and NDA. Became a soldier prob to make a difference.

We deserve the govt we have. Pple are still there making excuses for our so called leaders. Because Bokoharam,poverty,failed healthcare,armed robbers, etc haven’t personally affected us we keep quiet or just type hateful messages on blogs.

I weep, but I see no changes in the future. Our young pple are worse than these old thieves that have ruined naija.

I salute all the soldiers fighting to give us peace, I salute your bravery going into war with outdated resources, but you fight on. I salute your courage. You may be the only courageous ones left in naija. Those who have died, I mourn with your families cos our useless govt wont support them and our useless govt wont celebrate them.

Excuse my ramblings, my heart is just heavy

11. kele

October 4, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Nigeria nkaaaaaaaaa

12. Siryemi

October 4, 2014 at 6:45 pm

A country deserves the leader it gets. I really see no hope. The leaders we blame were once followers and from what I’ve seen in the current followers(the youths), i think it’s only gonna get worse. Picture the current scenario of young men and women currently in the Internet scam business (yahoo boys) becoming politicians in the next 20 , 30 years.! I think they’ll be worse than Jonah who had no shoes. Lol

13. Ti

October 5, 2014 at 3:12 am

All these words but no action. What the Nigerian youths needs is to back words with action. We are quick to talk but so slow to take action. The spirit of the Nigerian youth has been killed or dulled. We have to rise up and take a stand. Remember the nationalist how they stood up without fear of personal harm. They stood up and made sure they were heard. We are a nation of people who are afraid to die or face personal injury. And the only way any change can be made is if we are ready to make personal sacrifices.

14. OJ

October 11, 2014 at 9:28 am

Hope makes everything better and it makes you want to wake up looking forward to what’s next …
    In Nigeria we are now used to reading about disheartening things and just moving on .
    Talking about events in Nigeria is quite depressing So i decided I won’t get into arguments about Nigeria cos I see it as a waste of time and energy ; yet the next time someone says can u imagine how many people died yesterday when bh members blew up a church or someone asking my opinion about the presidency’s directive in shutting down all courts in ekiti till Ayo Fayose’s inauguration I can’t help myself when I delve into the discussion .
    And it’s hope that does that ; even it’s just a sliver it’s still there.
    We hope and pray that tomorrow will be better . That our leaders will wake up and decide to make better policies , to implement those policies; to be less corrupt ….I could go on and on ….
    The youths are now more concerned about the shutting down of Linda Ikeji’s blog than the socio political happenings in the country . I think if we all take the ‘it starts with me’ attitude . The country will gradually get better . It starts with me not to offer a bribe to anyone in the exercise of their duties ; it starts with me not to throw trash on the highway when I’m driving ; it starts with me to return my shopping cart when I go to a grocery store ; it starts with me not to accept gratification when I do my job ; it starts with me to register and ensure I vote when elections start ; it starts with me to help my neighbour when I can clearly see they need help ; it starts with me to be the best Person I can possibly be; it starts with Me!!!!

15. Osarugue

November 21, 2014 at 11:55 pm

Bruno, respectfully, I think your comment is contradictory and somewhat misguided. How do you ‘prophesy’ in one breath that Nigeria is not going anywhere and still claim that you are an outside-of-the-box thinker, trying to change things. Brother or Sister Bruno, I appreciate your passion but I fear that you’ve missed the point of the article and the wisdom in it. Please, don’t try to change anybody because you first and foremost need to change what you are right now : confused!