News

Father who Abandoned Children in Boarding School for 8 Years Reunites with Them

Adepegba-with-his-children-360x225

Segun Adepegba & his children

Awww this is great news!

Remember the father who abandoned his three children at an Ogun State boarding school for eight years because he couldn’t afford to take care of them? Well he finally went to visit them last Friday.

According to Punch, the dad, Segun Adepegba, was extremely emotional when he saw his kids. Locking them in a tight embrace, he promised to never abandon them again.

“I am sorry for leaving you, Titi, Seun and Seyi. I am really very sorry. I have missed you all so much. I will not leave you again,” he said to his children.

When he arrived at the school, Solid Model College, there was an angry mob waiting to attack him because they were angry about the fact that he had left his children alone for so long. However, three of Adepegba’s friends who accompanied him on the visit, managed to assuage the crowd, telling them he was sorry for his actions, and that he was a changed man.

The proprietor of the school, Ademola Adeyemi, was overjoyed by his Adepegba’s visit, calling it a miracle, as he had prayed incessantly for his return. “This has shown that God truly answers prayers,” he said.

Upon arriving at the school, Adepegba reportedly prostrated on the floor outside and begged for forgiveness.

“I have offended a lot of people. I have offended my children. I have offended Nigerians. I accept all the blame. And I am really very sorry. I understand that what I have done is very wrong. I was afraid of two things: One was that if I came here, I would be arrested and the second reason was the accumulated debt of the children’s school fees. I reasoned that if I should come to the school, I would be handed over to the police.

I really miss my children and this time around, I am going to change. I want them to have a good educational background so that they can become important persons in the future. I don’t want them to suffer. I will never leave them again. But all these years, I have been battling with hard times. Things have been very tough for me,” he said.

One of the children Titi, expressed that although she was happy to see her father, she would love to see her mother. “I am very excited that my father is back. All I can say is that I am happy. But I want to see my mother too, she said.”

The children’s mother, who reportedly abandoned them over 8 years ago after she and their father separated, has not returned to see them or inquired about their whereabouts since then.

However, Adepegba told reporters that he had recently gotten information about their mother’s location, and that it is suspected that she may be in Abuja. He also stated that her name is Ruth Okochi and that she is from Ogwashi-Uku in the Aniocha South Local Government Area of Delta State.

1. Bola Odu

October 27, 2014 at 8:44 am

Thank God their father is back, am so happy for the children. May the God almighty meet the man’s need so as to take proper care of his children.

2. Beeeee

October 27, 2014 at 9:13 am

I am really happy this morning. 8 years is a very long time and it could have been easy for these kids to resent their father but they are happy to see him too. I am glad that he kept his word and went to see his children. Again, kudos to the management of the school.

3. Alarm

October 27, 2014 at 9:21 am

Many criticized the man for leaving the kids.

He took care of them after his wife left and when he could no longer cope, he dissapeared (but now to appear)

Their father is back, where is their mother?

A woman left these kids since they were young and never looked back?

chai!

• Dayo O

October 27, 2014 at 2:42 pm

They are not objects or material possessions that you remove from your life simply because you cannot afford to take care of them anymore. They are children and did not ask for their parents to bring them into this world. Shit happens but that is your responsibility as a parent. When you phuck like rabbits with the intention of procreating then you must be ready for it. They are irresponsible parents in a disorganized country. Nigerians need to plan their finances properly so that they can better handle unforeseen circumstances instead of getting married broke with no plan and for the wrong reasons- to phuck without judgments, running to the alter pregnant so that your child isnt born out of wedlock, and because their “mates” appear to be happily married. No thought before getting into situations that will change your life forever.

4. eka

October 27, 2014 at 9:30 am

That’s what a broken hope can do. I’m not surprised at d mother, women from that side are heartless, I know of one that dropped her kids 1 yr and 3 yr in front of the MIL’S door and reappeared after 23yrs.

• Miss Gidi

October 28, 2014 at 6:42 am

From this comment, I just found out that I am heartless since I am from ‘that’ side

#saynotogeneralisations

5. eka

October 27, 2014 at 9:31 am

Broken home

6. Monisola

October 27, 2014 at 10:50 am

Which way forward from here?
    Father is back, we are glad, both need to get to know each other, needs extreme bonding time with the kids especially the teenager.
    As for mom, just don’t get it that she went MIA without looking back for 8 years. No Child or children she had within past 8 years can surpasses these Three she abandoned.
    As for the family, wishing them all the best in recovery, this is a huge psychological trauma to the kids, abandonment is a great scar.
    As for the school management, kudos to you all for caring for these children all this while. You deserved a humanitarian award.

7. Omo1

October 27, 2014 at 10:55 am

The school proprietor deserves a national honours..catering to the needs of three children of whom he is not related to by blood for eight good years is not a joking matter..

• Dayo O

October 27, 2014 at 2:44 pm

The school did a great job. Taking care of these three children when they could have admitted three other kids whose parents are capable of paying their tuition.

8. Kehinde

October 27, 2014 at 11:08 am

People aren’t talking about the school that harboured these kids for 8 years. Kudos to the Proprietor. Some Schools would have sent them packing. The truth of d mather is that that father is heartless & wicked. No level of poverty should have made him to do that. To me, he did it intentionally. Thanks goodness is back now. 8yrs is no joke. Man don’t do that the next time. All d best dis time around.

9. lizbeth

October 27, 2014 at 11:31 am

Glory be to God for the reunion. I am so so happy for the kids and i pray that things turn around for their father so that he can take care of them. The kids’ mother is a total disgrace to womanhood,, chaiii, how can she abandon her kids for that long period, its disheartening, (i know this happens every where) no matter what, she should have tot about their welfare first before eloping when some people r crying out to God to have just one kid to love, hold, protect and cherish, here’s one saying i don’t want my kids any more, hmmmmmmn oga o there is God o, well i pray that God opens her eyes before its too late. Congrats Mr. Adepegba and kids, May God send divine helpers your way IJN.

10. bruno

October 27, 2014 at 12:24 pm

their mother is the worst mother in nigeria for 2014. im happy for the kids but I dont trust this man one bit. I hope he doesnt start beating them and maltreating them when things get hard. because nigerians dont know how to handle and treat kids

11. Taiwo

October 27, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Im really glad their father is back. Hope he stays around this time.
    Where is their” mother” (I’m using the word “mother” for want of a better description, she is not fit to be called one) though?
    That woman should be flogged

12. WORD

October 27, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Can we praise this school please. The management of that school deserve recogntion. Their gesture is hard to come by.

• tunmi

October 27, 2014 at 2:48 pm

I truly applaud the school. I am still side-eyeing the father

13. solidrock

October 27, 2014 at 3:05 pm

The proprietor of the school is Mr segun aiyebusi, a very kind man always helping parents and children. There are so many many children he took in without collecting any money. He gives scholarship too. May God continue to bless him.

14. humm...

October 27, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Look at the kids’ faces, they don’t seem to be that happy… Especially the older girl. She’s not buying that crap…