News

Father Speaks on Why he Abandoned Children in Ogun State Boarding School for 8 Years

Abandoned Children's Father

Segun Adepegba

Yesterday, BN brought you the news about a man who abandoned his three children at an Ogun State boarding school for eight years because he couldn’t afford to take care of them.

The father, Segun Adepegba, spoke to Punch yesterday about the rationale behind his actions.

He stated that dire hardship pushed him to abandon his children.

In addition, Adepegba said he hadn’t visited his children for years because he was scared that school authorities would get him arrested because he hadn’t been paying the children’s school fees.  However, he promised that he would go and visit them before the end of next week.

“In 2007, my wife and I had a misunderstanding and she told me she was leaving me. I was frustrated and the children were little. Seyi, the youngest was just two years while Titilola was just five.

There was no way I could give them motherly care. I had no job. As a man, I needed someone to help me take care of them and that was why my sister suggested that we enrol them in a boarding school.

I feared that if I suddenly appeared at the school, the proprietor would get the police to arrest me. I really appreciate the proprietor of Solid Rock Model College, for coming to my rescue and accepting the responsibility to help me take care of  my children. The truth is this: I was pushed to the wall. I didn’t want my children to be beggars on the street.

All these years, I have been jobless. I had no house to live in. I was putting up with someone. I just rented a one-room apartment and just got a job. I am not a wicked father. I really miss them but I am gradually overcoming the challenges I have been facing. I did not abandon them in that sense. I can assure you that before the week runs out, I will visit them,” he said.

He also revealed that ever since his wife left him in 2007, he has not heard from her, and all efforts to make contact with her have been unsuccessful.

The school proprietor has reportedly assured Adepegba that he is welcome to visit his kids anytime, as the school has no plans of getting him arrested.

According to reports, his children expressed joy at the prospect of seeing their father again after so many years.

Abandoned Children in Ogun

“I am very happy that daddy has promised to come back. It means I would not have to spend my holidays in the school again,” said one of the children, named Seun.

“I hope this is not another promise that will fail. I am really looking forward to seeing him because it will make me very happy,” added Titilola.

Photo Credit: Punch

1. jay

October 23, 2014 at 10:51 am

ok lets those so call naija shatas ..offer this man some job to get his bills done…those who boast and admire everything on this website like bruno …pls donates to the man or help…

im done>>>

• bruno

October 23, 2014 at 11:10 am

@jay, ur english saddens my heart. go to the bookshop and buy brighter grammer volume 1 and 2 and learn how to form sentences, learn how to conjugate and learn ur pronouns and prepositions

• Ferrari

October 23, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Bruno was it not you who spelt delusional as dillusional and made several other spelling errors in you recent comments?

• Gorgeous

October 23, 2014 at 1:20 pm

I hope the kids are not disappointed when they get to know their father. Sometimes we might fantasize about the idea of something forgetting there is reality as well. And sometimes most situations we find ourselves in is a blessing in disguise

• PD Young Billionaire

October 24, 2014 at 9:13 pm

ok,Bruno.Do the needful….

2. bruno

October 23, 2014 at 11:06 am

excuses excuses excuses, what a stupid man. why did you get married and start producing babies when u have no plans for them or eben money to take care of them. you keep making excuses and bringing stupid reasons on why u abandoned ur own kids, im a man I dont have motherly love blah blah blah, biko save it. why didnt you pick up the phone when they called you, at keast to assure your kids that u didnt abandoned them. im sure people will sympathise with this loser but not me. I dont like the way nigerians treat children. this is cruel. hes not even a young man, he is matured and should know that tgere are consequences for such reckless actions. the mother on the other hand is an idiot.

• Ferrari

October 23, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Spell check my dear

• Nahum

October 23, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I agree with you. I don’t feel sorry for him and I think he is full of excuses. Nigerians treat children terribly. He is full of shite if you ask me.

• Bolaji

October 24, 2014 at 8:55 am

So after suggesting brighter grammer to someone, u go ahead and give us dis? But that’s none of my business

3. bruno

October 23, 2014 at 11:18 am

straight people are terrible at parenting. where have you seen a gay couple abandoning their kids for 8 years, no phones no letters, nothing. its impossible, gay people make better parents.studies and statistics have shown it. (bella naija post this comment, stop being partial)

• Regenerated

October 23, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Bruno, I am sorry, but….you need help.

• benny

October 23, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Shut up!!!

• Q

October 23, 2014 at 12:25 pm

O SHUT THE HELL UP!!! What has this got to do with gay and straight parenting??? For starters gay people couldnt abandon kids (for the longest time) cos they didn’t have kids to begin with… till the recent help of surrogacy and adoption in the pase decades..!. If you think you’re making a good case for the gay community by bringing it up in every irrelevant place, you’re wrong! People will or will not be gay, and your arguements will not affect their choice for either. Quit making gay people sound unintelligent!

• fifi

October 23, 2014 at 12:25 pm

What crack did you inhale today? Say no to cheap drugs my friend. His character has nothing to do with his sexuality. He is a crap father and nothing he says can justify his actions,all he had to do was write to his children every month and reassure them they he would be back for them.

• Dolly

October 23, 2014 at 1:05 pm

@Bruno You know i got gay friends, great ones and i respect them enough not to say stupid sh*t bout em’ but honey you are oh so beyond gay and lame. Like what’s this? Gay movement, agenda, propaganda? FOH with that bull crap and put a snap on that ish coz your sh*t straight blew minds.

Meanwhile I don’t feel any type of pity for the man, but the kids remarks breaks my heart. Why do people bring children they cant care for to the world? The mother is the worst but hey to each its own. I just hope the kids find a place to call home, and a well deserving parents.

• Gorgeous

October 23, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Hush your mouth little kid. You rant too much.

• bruno

October 23, 2014 at 2:50 pm

the truth is paining many of you. if you dont like my comment, go and est sh!t. its the truth and it is bitter

• bruno

October 23, 2014 at 3:01 pm

im not forcing u. but I will always say the truth. I am noy promoting anything, neither im I selling anything, but is the picture is red I will say it it red, if it is a spade I will call it a spade. bye

• guess

October 23, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Bruno stop trying so hard to prove to us that you’re gay. You aint my dear. You dont have a boyfriend or a girlfriend. You’re just a loney fellow. Hopefully love will find you soon.

• Debbie Ade

October 23, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Bruno, Bruno…. U must be so gay or you just love getting attention with your comments.

4. Doubra

October 23, 2014 at 11:38 am

You are just a useless sorry excuse for a man. Foolishness! I can’t deal!

5. Čöuʼntess of ßæĺĺa

October 23, 2014 at 11:41 am

Careful Bruno, if u r gay, u have no business being in Naija. And for the record, being straight or gay does not determine how good parental qualities turn out.

6. JAY

October 23, 2014 at 11:49 am

see bruno complaining about grammar …do u fink this platform is an SSCE exams . tackle the issue im asking u to do and stop hiding behind grammar complains …u cant compete on that with me…

Im done>>>

7. ĈőünŁesş ōf ßeĺĺå

October 23, 2014 at 11:52 am

This would be about the lamest excuse I have heard from a full grown ass man! As for you bruno, ur comment is the most stupidest I have ever come across!

8. Q

October 23, 2014 at 12:16 pm

On the one hand I am happy he chose a boarding school and not the streets to abandon them, on the other hand MR MAN……you are still wicked! Plus that sister too…. You left babies, with not as much as a hello in 8years are u kidding me???…..oooo I’m getting angry all over again…. if u didnt want to get caught, did u even try sneaking around to see them at all??

I am speaking from experience, trying not to give much away…My dad could have made d same excuse…. but the reason i sing his praises, after God’s own is cos he realised he had to make hard choices, and he did…. He struggled A LOT and I understand the struggle and frequent and extended absence now, even though i didnt then…. NO parent has any excuse to abandon ur kids…..if you brought them here, then thats d least you owe them… this man will NEVER be able to comprehend their experiences these past years,…..the taunts, the disappointment, the occassional emptiness in their eyes, the longings, the fear, the feeling of unsafe, and the erosion of trust in any human being that tries to offer care and love, lets not get into the possibility of physical, emotional and sexual abuse they might have endured along the way………after all they weren’t wanted by the ones who should want them most…. I am mad, n in tears thinking of the kids, just from a place of understanding! . Sadly I have been around a lot of similar cases. Its one thing to be abandoned at birth, but its very different when u have bonded with someone who then does that….
    Your kids NEED you, more than your money…
    I need to get out of here biko…and people are crying for just one child!

• Nahum

October 23, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Tell ’em why you mad!!!!!

9. Ada

October 23, 2014 at 12:56 pm

This is the problem I have with gay people.Bruno wetin concern being straight and gay with this matter.if you don’t have anything better to contribute then take a seat and restrict yourself to reading comments.
    Cuss me all you want.it won’t change my opinion.

• bruno

October 23, 2014 at 3:37 pm

@ada, tjis is the problem I have with girls who wear cheap horse hair as weave. people like you can not handle the truth. osama and, hitler, both had strsight parents and they turned out to be mass murderers.

• ada

October 23, 2014 at 4:16 pm

…truth like you are “GAY”.Expensive man show me your pic too.i bet you look like the horse i got my hair from.

10. DatEnuguChic

October 23, 2014 at 1:03 pm

[email protected]…….Sorry that no one has cared to respond to your controversial comments. Im sure you have been waiting patiently since you posted your comments. hahahahahahahahha ………………………..back to work o jare…..

11. Bruness

October 23, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Ohh Hell!!! Here comes bruno with his gay rantings..I’m sorry Bruno but were your parents gay? If not then they did a terrible job raising you cos you are a dolt for trying to make the issue about you and homosexuality. Back to the subject matter this man is lazy and reaally stupid. There’s no need going back for those kids cos he’s obviously too lazy to sweat and bleed for them which is what parenting is all about, it took him eight whole years to hussle to see his kids or even send support of any kind and he says his wife abndoned him and the kids what if she had died then WHAT? It takes nothing to father a child but it takes a lot to be a father….

12. fashy

October 23, 2014 at 1:08 pm

How does one sexual orientation affect ur parenting skills. This is pure wickedness, to think that dis man and his wife will leave their children for 8 solid yrs in a boarding school is beyond human comprehension, he wakes up bath, eat, sleep and do other things having at d back of his mind that his children are in some boarding school. Yr in yr out 8 Christmases’ , children’s day celebrations and public holidays…na wah oo
    God what kind of world are we living in
    what happens if this children are in the wrong hands, indoctrinating and hypnotising them into believing the world is against them…….
    sometimes i seat and wonder what d tell this kids and these suicide bombers…. This is it, lack of care and parental love, no knowledge about live or what is happening beyond the walls they are familiar with, the family has failed, so does the society, and our faith

13. Beeee

October 23, 2014 at 1:22 pm

All that noise just to promote gay marriage. Gay people make better parents? Please post your statistics. How did this even turn to a gay parade? You can make your point without flaunting your sexuality. It’s not about you. And while you are busy insulting someone for bad English. Please check yours too.
    Back to important things, I feel sorry for this guy and I am not going to stand as a judge because I don’t know all the details. I am happy that he will be reunited with his children and that they are looking forward to seeing him as well. Nobody knows tomorrow. It is well

14. Beeeee

October 23, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Kudos to the staff of the school for not throwing the innocent children out as well because that would have been the easy thing to do. They kept these kids, fed them, took care of them when they were sick, showed them love when there was no one available. May God continue to bless them

15. tunmi

October 23, 2014 at 2:04 pm

I wonder where the mother is? Is she even alive?

16. pretti

October 23, 2014 at 2:28 pm

is a pity, seeing what men goes through in this country y others are enjoying free money

17. Just me

October 23, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Kudos to the school management for not sending the kids out to the streets, bless their heart.
    Well the father can try to make things better again, it’s never too late.
    My father never bothered to look for me once, so I am giving this father credit for making changes to get his kids back. Go get your kids.

18. Chika**

October 23, 2014 at 3:07 pm

This is sad. The question now is where is their mother? I feel like something happened to her. Hmm, why do I feel like he is not telling the whole truth? It is very hard to see/find a mother that would leave her children/child? I feel like something happened to her. There should be an investigation to find that woman. I am not saying he did something to her. But, I think they should try and locate that woman.

• Nahum

October 23, 2014 at 3:33 pm

My thoughts exactly! I smell a rat

19. snoopy

October 23, 2014 at 3:14 pm

pls go and see your children mr man you never know what 2moro would bring ,these children can become great pple in the future my brother no matter what happenS God must come tru …GOD BLESS YOU

20. bruno

October 23, 2014 at 3:19 pm

if it were a gay couple that abandoned their kids for 8 years, u will be seeing nasty comments.now the tables have been turned and u people are shouting what does sexuality have to do with it. I still stand by my comment. you straight people are terrible at parenting. period. you dont like what u hear, go and swallow acid. u will never ever see a gay couple abandon their kids for 8 years.

• Lee

October 24, 2014 at 8:50 am

never knew you were dis stupid. chai……

21. Beeeee

October 23, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I don’t understand why you are still ranting. Can gay people have children by themselves biologically without seeking external help? Don’t the straight people you seem to hate so much end up being surrogates for them in most cases? If gays are so perfect, they should procreate on their own then. How dare you generalize about straight parents. Are you okay? Do you know how many people struggle daily just to make sure their children are safe and comfortable. I have plenty of gay friends who I love and respect but you are a special case. Something is seriously wrong with you. If he was a shirtless man with a six-pack like the young man who jumped over the white house fence, you would be calling for him to jump your fence too abi? The fact that you are gay does not give you to right to insult people anyhow. Many people on BN don’t have issues with gays. They have issues with you and your “get them before they get me” complex

The same way I would not use you as the poster child for gay people is the same way this man should not be used as a poster child for straight parenting…mschewww

22. zinny

October 23, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Biko Bruno, e don do. My very first comment here because of u. Usually, I read den, laff/cry and pass. But this isn’t about sexuality. Post more meaningful comments or just be a “read and pass” visitor.

23. lizbeth

October 23, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Thank God for social media ooo, I am glad that the father has realized his mistake and will be visiting his kids next week. mee o i no blame the man although what he did isnt good but in the alternative i think that he secured the lives of the children and their welfare although he pushed his responsibility on someone else, the owner of the school also did a great job by keeping the kids for that long period and years, may God bless them and also send them divine help from above in Jesus Name (amen) but, in that area, he (their father) at least reasoned well. I am glad that he’s back on track now, i hope someone in the corridors of power in the state the man is residing read about his plight and render help to him so that life can be easy for him and his children cos i know that we Nigerians do render help in cases and situations like this. As for his wife that left him, i hope she comes to realize her mistake early o, bcos no matter the level or weight of quarrel she has or had with her husby, its not a license for her to just dump her kids like that and walk away, i know that her irrational action has been registered in the hearts and mind of those kids and when they grow up to become great kids in life i hope and pray that the kids will find a place in their hearts to forgive their mother of this wicked behavior that she exhibited. Anyways, i am happy for the kids and i pray that the father shows up next week just as he has said. Bella Naija una do well o i de feel una. good work always. LOL

24. Segun

October 23, 2014 at 4:40 pm

‘i am not a wicked father’….I almost flipped when i read this. You abandoned your own children and you say you are not wicked, so if you were to be wicked nko!!!! The point is, you are not yet seeing yourself for what you are.

25. Cherelle

October 23, 2014 at 5:32 pm

DNA pls……it does not seem his is their biological father. A real father would NEVER abandon his kids for all these crap excuses! like seriously??? I and my 3 siblings were brought up by daddy (mum died very young) and we had practically nothing growing up….but here we are living like we were born with several golden spoons! No PAIN, NO GAIN…. please, good samarithan couples should come adopt the kids. The man and his wife and living on cheap WEEDS/DRUGS!#C’est tout#

26. Cherelle

October 23, 2014 at 5:35 pm

DNA pls……it does not seem he is their biological father. A real father would NEVER abandon his kids for all these crap excuses! like seriously??? I and my 3 siblings were brought up by daddy (mum died very young) and we had practically nothing growing up….but here we are living like we were born with several golden spoons! No PAIN, NO GAIN…. please, good samarithan couples should come adopt the kids. The man and his wife and living on cheap WEEDS/DRUGS!#C’est tout#

27. D

October 23, 2014 at 7:39 pm

This is what happens when society forces people to “get married” the ink is yet to dry on the marriage license they are talking about babies. Many Nigerians cannot afford to even acquire a puppy but because they are of certain age they feel they are in competition to get to the altar only to get there and nothing to feed self and spouse. Like that’s not bad enough they start popping kids because everyone is asking and telling you rubbish like “the means to take care of kids ,God sends it with them (kids)” or “God will provide”. Guess what??? He did!!! He provided you with a brain to do the Math to know you can’t afford a baby not to mention multiple kids. Because the society that pushed you to pop them kids out are not going to be there to help you provide for them and they are still the ones that will condemn if your kids starve to death or are going around begging and tell you, you had no business having them kids to begin with (the same people 9 months ago were telling you nonesense). So do not succumb to dumb teachings of society and use your brain. Condoms are cheap we need to start making use of them and stop looking at every woman that asks for birth control options like she is a runs girl because even so called “educated individuals” that call themselves Drs are guilty of this. I apologise for the rant but I am tired of seeing irresponsible or people with no means of taking care of kids having them because they succumbed to dumb social beliefs.

28. fashy

October 23, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Bruno is no gay, he is having fun out of this thing dis guy can b any body, male\female. He is just having fun making awful comments, rub pple up d wrong way and watch hell break loose. Some actually open articles to see what he will write, he is having fun guys

29. No Name

October 23, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Whoever Bruno is, you need serious medical attention. Meanwhile this Man needs to ask God for forgiveness. How can you abandon your kids for 8 years in boarding school?

30. Anjiesmum

October 25, 2014 at 1:06 pm

I am more worried about what kind of mother leaves her two year old to bear whatever it is the mother could not handle. Na wa