Features

Peculiar Okafor: I am classy… Are you?

So here I am trying to earn my salary and this colleague browsing through blog-sites says ‘I love this lady, she’s soo classy. Peculiar, Don’t you think so?’ I simply responded that I didn’t think so and that was how a huge argument ensued.

I felt the celebrity in question was boring while my colleague was adamant that she was the classiest of Nigerian celebrities. In a bid to douse the argument, someone else asked us to define class and my people, na there we hang oh:

Me: It is having a good background and knowing how to behave.
Colleague: So if your father is not rich, you’re not classy abi?
Me: Okay, it is knowing what to say and acting right at all times. This celebrity in question always messes up in interviews.
Colleague: So because she messed up in an interview, she’s no more classy, a lot of our celebrities mess up. What about those who have never attended an interview?
Me: It is being able to hold your own regardless of where you are, it is ….. ( exasperated) oya you define class(y).
Colleague: It is being reserved, standing out, a girl having that ‘thing’ about her
Me; So every village girl who is reserved is classy,
Colleague: It is… in fact nobody can define it, when you see class, you would know.

This conversation went on for over an hour and this my colleague hardly argues so you know that it was a serious issue. In all, we agreed that we didn’t REALLY know the meaning of the word.

Not one to back down easily from an argument, I decided to surf the internet for definitions and I found a lot:

Urban dictionary.com
– An adjective meaning the following:
– very stylish and elegant
– not crude, or misgusting or dirty or depressing ( FYI, misgusting is a slang to describe something that is both mistaken and disgusting.)
– A deeper meaningful word for cool.

Dictionary.reference.com defined it as an adjective meaning of high class, rank or grade; stylish, admirably smart, elegant.

But then, the definition I really liked was from a visitor to Yahoo answers:

We weren’t very satisfied and sought answers from friends via BBM and got a lot of answers ranging from the simple; poise and elegance to the very long ones. At this point, we weren’t reaching an agreement so we went further and asked friends to name classy celebrities and various names came up, a few more frequent than the others.

After reviewing the answers, we agreed that class might not have one definition as it means different things to different people.Just like beauty,it is in the eye of the beholder.

So dears, I’d love to hear your definition of class and Nigerian Celebrities you consider classy.

My classiest Nigerian celebrity is………
Have a great day.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Roxana González

Peculiar is a Marketing communications personnel, she believes that one can have a full life without being bitchy and she wants it all 'A good career, love, laughter, wealth, you name it.She blogs at www.daworkdiva.blogspot.com.ng.. Follow her on Instagram @daworkdiva and Facebook 'www.facebook.com/Daworkdiva'

1. Jo!

October 28, 2014 at 5:28 pm

This picture distracted me

• Gods child

October 29, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Personally I’d say Abgani Darego, Rita Dominic (I once met her and she was really nice and charming even though she didn’t know who I was), Mo Abudu and Mercy Johnson( yes she is, mainly because of the way she reacts to bashings by even fellow celebs, and off course her humble nature)

• Gods child

October 29, 2014 at 10:39 pm

And yes Genevieve is far from classy…too proud and arrogant to be labelled as classy

• Ada

October 30, 2014 at 11:03 am

Lol. I had to look at the picture again. She looks like a cross between an armed robber and a lady in hijab.

2. Jo!

October 28, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I;m really not sure who

3. Mz Socially Awkward...

October 28, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Peculiar, I have a sneaking (nay, a very strong) suspicion that I know the exact Naija female celebrity who ignited the debate between y’all…. *evil grin*

• Open sesame

October 28, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Haha…me too. Genevieve 🙂

• addy

October 30, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Thought in the direction. proud, over rated and arrogant.

• nene

October 28, 2014 at 6:56 pm

you bad girl! naught naughty.

• Peculiar Okafor

October 29, 2014 at 10:33 am

Hmmm dearie, all I did was write an article, if it reminds you of anyone, my hand no dey oh?

4. Neo

October 28, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Class for me is subjective, just like style. Its not about wearing expensive fashion or anything. Its something about your carriage, how you speak and all. having said that i think Asa is very classy.

• Just me

October 28, 2014 at 10:09 pm

I agree that class is subjective.
      Outside of Nigerian celebrities, when I think of class I think of Meryl Streep.
      I like Genevieve and all but in terms of class, she probably wouldn’t fall under that category.
      My one cent

5. Engoz

October 28, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Agbani Darego is classy to me. Her birthday celebration a while back proved what I’ve suspected all along about the woman. I understand people have different meanings to the word (what you might consider classy to you might not be to me), but I’m attracted to the reserved, elegant and simplistic aspects of the word. There’s a selectivity in the type of people you associate with if you possess these qualities. And Agbani epitomizes this for me in the Nigerian scene at the moment.

• Suwa

October 29, 2014 at 9:22 am

Nse Ikpe Etim is also very classly

6. @edDREAMZ

October 28, 2014 at 6:33 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Well i dont like classy ladies bcos they are just expensive and never settle for less..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• surely

October 28, 2014 at 7:49 pm

glad you know you’re less.

• Hian

October 29, 2014 at 2:20 am

I think I understand what he meant, he means classy ladies might b high maintenance, yea, I don’t think you should call him las. Poor Ed Dreamz

• Hian

October 29, 2014 at 2:22 am

Na wa o of my own English, I think he meant classy ladies can be high maintenance, Eya, I don’t think you should call him “less”. Ed Dreamz hopefully you know not all classy ladies are “expensive”.

• wen

October 29, 2014 at 6:56 am

Hey you,i hope u are not d same one from Linda??everywher u Go,Always in Jupiter…..Please leave Bella for we the classy ones biko we want no ratchet n bickering here!!!

• Owelle

October 29, 2014 at 10:45 am

Heyya, I feel for u. I’m sure the ratchet girls are lucky to have people that think like u do.

• chyla

November 19, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Ouchi!!!!

7. nene

October 28, 2014 at 6:59 pm

for me, classy is having grace, style, and being courteous to friends and strangers. a bitchy woman with a negative character can NEVER be classy. it’s basically the act of comporting oneself in a good way that makes people want to emulate you. so it has nothing to do with wealth or social status, it’s a character/behaviour. classy to me would be Regina Askia and Bianca Onoh Ojukwu.

• Dee

October 29, 2014 at 1:22 pm

“a bitchy woman with a negative character can never be classy”

nene did you really type this? You? You nene kwa? Hian! Wonderment of life oh.

• benny

October 29, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Lmaooooooooooo as e de hot.

8. bukola

October 28, 2014 at 7:15 pm

HI Peculiar (your name is funny though) i like your posts, can i have your contacts… have something you might be interested in… please reach me via [email protected]

• sweettemmy

October 30, 2014 at 1:44 pm

bukky i see u

9. Bliss

October 28, 2014 at 7:27 pm

To me being classy is being able conduct yourself in a respectable manner, no matter the situation or what’s thrown at you. It’s about being able to blend with people of all walks of life in a modest way. It’s not about the number of brands you own or wear, or the type of car you drive. Mercy Johnson is classy; that’s a woman who has values, humility, and real life standards. You never see her gallivanting from one event to another, one club appearance to another. Yet, she has maintained her popularity, respects herself, is family oriented, and is very modest in her responses to fans and the media. Omotola is another classy lady, in my opinion. When I see Genevieve, based on the way she carries herself, I see pride and a tad bit of arrogance, not class. That’s my opinion.

• True

October 29, 2014 at 4:40 am

I agree with you more than 100%. Classy is the way you carry yourself. ….. I thought I was the only one who think Genevieve is proud not classy. Have not met her before but one can tell watching her in movies.

10. F

October 28, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Class to me is Betty Irabor or the late Pastor Bimbo Odukoya.

11. Simsi

October 28, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Honestly I’m not a fan of genevieve or omotola. I agree that omotola has achieved a lot but I’m not just a fan. As for geneveive I’ve not watched any movies of hers that I like. I love nse etim. I think she’s an amazing actress. Her diction is perfect. Same with rita dominic. We have some amazing actresses that are under appreciated. Please let’s start recognizing those ones tho.

12. moneke

October 28, 2014 at 8:32 pm

i think being classsy means taking the high road and respecting yourself. I think Stephanie Okereke Linus is classy

13. Busolarme

October 28, 2014 at 8:50 pm

14. Ms. Sane

October 28, 2014 at 8:52 pm

For me, classy means cultured. I definitely know it when I see it.

15. Busolarme

October 28, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Classy To me Means Being decent in all Ramifications! Also Having a Mind of your own and not following the Crowds. I think Omotola is Classy.

16. Woah

October 28, 2014 at 9:56 pm

What is class? Well it definitely isnt something they teach in school classrooms. I have noticed people fling the word about on this site for even the most superficial of objects. I think people just mix it up with any wanton show of wealth.

Classy is:

1. Not over-projecting your expensive tastes by dressing like New Masquerade. I know someone that once rocked a 2 watches on each wrist because he just couldnt drop one. On his left wrist, he wore a Audemar, and on the right he wore a Movado. He also sported diamond studs on both ears and doused himself in some cologne by Tom Ford. He just ended up looking like Dhalsim from streetfighter. Or Clifford Orjo

2. Poise and calmness. Personally I cant stand people whose speak loudly that their voices are over 100 decibels. Have you ever know someone who bathes you in spittle whenever they talk? Or when they eat, you are able to see all their molars and incisors? Or someone who doesnt think stuff through before it comes out of their mouth. People who wear their emotions on their sleeve or have no kind of finesse? Personally I cant stand people who get carried away easily. My friend Nogooder once dated a girl who was like that. Once they were driving with some friends through Old Ikoyi after coming from a wedding (from Festac where they resided) and she kept on shouting and hissing and pointing as they passed some of the huge McMansions: “Chei! See the house of life! Nogooder, see what your fellow man is doing in Lagos! You are a disgrace to manhood! See our State Governor’s house! Chei!!!”

3. Simplisiti (Simplicity) – Allow me use the Yoruba spelling – no harm done. There is something endearing about someone likes to act simply and is content with him/herself (or itself if it is a winch by night). Some like Pat Utomi comes to mind. Yes he is well off, but his mind is really the diamond. He exudes calm and contentment (which is easy to say I guess for someone worth a few million stacks) but you get my point. That is one reason why most Nigerians like Kanu – he always kept his head down and stayed from undue press coverage due to his simplistic demeanour. Compare and contrast with a certain artist that was kicked out of a hotel recently for smoking gbana. His name ryhmes with Biz Did

4. Not accent – Speaking Queens English or Lekki-British does not confer class. Speaking clearly is classy, no matter the accent. Speaking with a foreign accent manufactured from doing a 2 year masters program in a 3rd rate University in Lancashire, North England does not confer class. Speaking with confidence and clarity in an Igbo ridden accent due to a childhood spent in Aba is classy in itself.

Thank you.

• nne

October 28, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Where have you been o????

• biz did

October 29, 2014 at 3:01 am

Biz did lmao

• Ruth Atamenwan

October 29, 2014 at 9:50 am

Woah! (As in waoh, not your name) nice one! E pa te wo fun jare!

• Ada ada

October 30, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Your last paragraph got me! My boyfriend grew up in imo state and as a result has an igbo accent, but man o’ man can he speak so well and so clear. He speaks better and clearer than all the ‘i school and live abroad guys’ I dated. Please preach this again!

• lola

December 10, 2014 at 2:00 am

I rolled with laughter per “Lekki-British”

17. Iamnephiza

October 28, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Genevieve

18. P.O.P.E

October 28, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Classy = Bruno cough!!!

19. Sabifok

October 28, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Eku Edewor.

She once posted a photo of herself in a new outfit on Instagram. Someone made a very uncalled for comment saying something frivolous like “No breast, no nyash..you are so flat”

Eku just answered “Really?” and said no more. Her friends attacked the “hater” but Eku was calm and sweet.

There was just something about the way she answered her attacker and what she said which stands out for me. I have seen several instances where people come at her on social media and she would not even answer or bat a verbal eyelid. That for me is classy, and thats one chick I would not mind on my arm.

Saw her too on that Tracie Nwapa show – i think it was a cooking episode. She was so easy-going and calm

• Cee

October 29, 2014 at 1:26 am

Whilst it takes a strong person to answer like Eku did, a stronger person would have just ignored the bitter commentator.

For me Nse Ikpe Etim is easily my Nigerian definition of a classy woman.. She radiates it effortlessly. Nse also commands attention without dancing in the spotlight, as her fellow actress Nollywood peers do.

• Tosin

October 29, 2014 at 6:36 am

This is a nice example.

I saw at least one funny example up there, someone I think is more clownish than classy, at least in appearance.

I was going to share an article today about Kim Kard and a cell phone tech industry thing, I found that I could not bear to let her photo go with the article; her face is a thing of extreme plasticness and prettiness and repulsiveness to me, so I chose the picture of the blackberry phone. Her body in nice clothes is classy and classic, if you remove her over fixed head.

I also didn’t think this article was very classy, (just the ten seconds I spent browsing through, but I’m willing to accept that the author is maybe a decade younger than me, and at that age, maybe this is a decent level.

20. Dundee

October 28, 2014 at 11:41 pm

Bella, the Pope has declared Evolution real. Biko go bring the gist come.

21. joy

October 28, 2014 at 11:49 pm

Classy,snobbish and reserved are often interchanged for oneanoda..well I think classy is wearing d wool wearing d beige going to d Princeton, Harvard drinking d french wine vacating on islands,taking cruise on private yatch, talking good international politics and money matters maintaining an intelligent conversation. etc .Reserved is Covering up d body being polite and contended. While snobbish,one dnt have to b rich or she cud b one not socialising With people below her or not rich snobs are just sucking up i think Allison Diazeni is classy Mercy Johnson is polite Genevive is a ghetto snob (sry but I love her )while Rita Dominic is a rich snob. Oya make una dey talk *runsaway*

22. Apk

October 29, 2014 at 12:57 am

Osas is classy.

23. Zadok

October 29, 2014 at 3:25 am

I must say “quite an intelligent answer”.

24. ...just saying

October 29, 2014 at 5:05 am

I am more worried about the fact that you spent one hour of management’s time arguing about class and another, asking your bbm friends of its meaning than I am about the meaning of class. SMH!!!

• Peculiar Okafor

October 29, 2014 at 10:21 am

Dearie, the matter was serious oh! Anyway let’s just be glad we could make your day with this article.

25. HappyFellow

October 29, 2014 at 5:22 am

Once you see Bruno’s comment, you’ve seen class……shikena!

26. bolarinwa

October 29, 2014 at 6:21 am

Love me some Eku Edewor

27. May

October 29, 2014 at 7:05 am

Classy- Joke Silva, Gloria Young, Funlola (brenda in Tinsel) Genevieve.

Omotola and Dakore are beautiful or lovely.Mercy Johnson is gifted and lovely too but not classy. I’m sure she would even be the first to tell you this herself.

28. wen

October 29, 2014 at 7:06 am

Nse Ikpe Etim and Genevieve wld do it for me pls….

29. Lol

October 29, 2014 at 7:45 am

Classy is being comfortable being yourself, knowing your self worth and exuding it to those around you in a positive way. Despite her passionate love life Angelina Jolie is classy, and Georges new squeeze Amal is too. I think what puts me off a certain Nigerian celebrity is knowing she frolicked with that politician to the extent of hospital intervention and mixing brands with family members of a despotic/indisposed politicians. Class has standards.

• ekalor

October 29, 2014 at 9:59 am

How can we put AJ and George’s wife in the same sentence.. Dakore is classy

30. www.thelmathinks.com

October 29, 2014 at 8:13 am

In my thinking, a classy person is someone with finesse, elegance, poise and grace. Someone who isn’t loud either in their manner of dressing or in the way they speak. Someone who obviously thinks before they talk and who is not at all careless with the things they say. And lastly someone who while being friendly and pleasant maintains some mystery to them.

I think Genevieve is the celebrity Peculiar was talking about and I think she has some class. But if I were to nominate classy Nigerian celebrities my pick would be Agbani Darego, Monalisa Chinda, Mo Abudu and Uche Pedro.

• Olori Tari

October 29, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Yup! Uche Pedro of Bella Naija is VERY classy. Immediately I saw the article, I decided to do a quick brainstorm myself. I tried to remember actors, actresses, musicians etc and i couldn’t 100% put my hand on somebody. Then I checked presenters and I went to blogs…immediately Uche Pedro came to my head..I went YES, she is the one! Took me a while to think to her side but she is VERY classy. How does one manage to be so elegant and graceful, with such a job! (Okay lol let me stop. I wish I didn’t have to drop the comment on here because now it looks like I’m patronizing- I promise I’m not).

• Sugar

October 29, 2014 at 4:10 pm

I love your definition of classy, that’s how it resonates with me.

• Sugar

October 29, 2014 at 4:13 pm

I love your definition of classy, that’s how it resonates with me.

31. Que

October 29, 2014 at 8:31 am

Your discovery aptly captures mybthoughts about class and sophistication….

Class is style, wit, manners, intelligence, the type of people one spends time with. It is treating everyone with equal dignity and respect. It can walk with kings and keep its virtue and talk with crowds and keep the common touch. It never tries to build itself by tearing others down.It is a cocoon of values: commitment, respect for learning, accomplishments and the feelings of others. It is being well spoken and well dressed. It is not going public with ones personal life. It is being the best you can be and doing the best you can do. It is good quality in everything.

Quality in everything, a habit of excellence, and charm with all people….thats class. Thank you!

32. Classybae

October 29, 2014 at 8:41 am

My definition of class is Stephanie Okereke Linus, she is smart, stylish and has decorum!

33. Lonely girl

October 29, 2014 at 8:59 am

To me classy is something that radiates from inside … its not about the amount of money you have its about how simple yet dashing you look. No celebrity in Nigeria comes to mind but i sure have one society woman that makes me puke Nkiru … she looks like something I would use to scare my unborn child anytime she doesnt want to do her home work 🙂 . I however have this colleague I could term classy. she is beautiful with brains. she can be around all day and you wont hear are voice. she dresses simple yet chic. So anytime she wants to speak.. she has the floor. plus, she is intelligent and humble even though she is from a wealthy home.

• cos I say so

October 29, 2014 at 11:48 am

Beauty isn’t class

34. gucci

October 29, 2014 at 10:01 am

Joke Silva, Stephanie Linus, Kunbi Oyelese

35. ejogene

October 29, 2014 at 10:14 am

My definition of classy Kate Middleton (Duchess of Cambridge).

36. sum1special

October 29, 2014 at 11:23 am

My classiest celeb till date is still Genevieve Nnaji…she can do no wrong in my eyes. the fact that she had a whatever past, came out of it and is on top of her game is my reason for choosing her.

37. Adebayo Aishat

October 29, 2014 at 11:38 am

Classy shuld be all abt U, both ur inward & outward.

38. cos I say so

October 29, 2014 at 11:41 am

This is a topic I’m a tad passionate about,i was always browsing the internet for the right definition of the word classy and how to behave classy till I realized that class is inborn
    Class is being able to resist screaming like a shrew when you are upset
    Class is not being swayed by latest trends of crop tops and high panty baring slits(lol)
    Class is knowing that less is more
    Class is never seeking for recognition but always “somehow” standing from the crowd
    Class is having your own sense of style and taste
    Class is timeless,elegant and sophisticated
    Class is Alhaji Dangote… he’s rich,well educated and we’ll known and yet we don’t see him giving interviews; he’s a very humble man and with all his money he’s not interested in all the brawling that is politics
    Class is Stephanie Linus( she’s always well turned out,comfortable in her own skin and careful to avoid scandal)
    Being well spoken alone isn’t Class… Rita Dominic isn’t classy
    Being humble and polite alone isnt Class… 2face Idibia isn’t classy
    Being rich and powerful alone isnt class… Aunty Ebele isn’t classy
    Class is a mix of everything,thats why it’s hard to imitate
    Class is inborn… Class is in a class of its own(pun intended)
    So u can be broke and be classy; You can be wealthy and be crass
    Class cuts across social strata and wealth
    Class is just Class

39. thatshychic

October 29, 2014 at 11:48 am

@Woah, …over 100 decibels? seriously!? you go about with an instrument for measuring sound? *bbmconfusedsmiley*

40. Mercy

October 29, 2014 at 12:00 pm

y do i have a strong feeling Peculiar is talking bout Genevieve?hehe.Anyway my idea(mine!) of classy Nigerian celebs counting with one hand would be Asa,Eku Edewor,Agbani Darego,Uche Pedro and Nse!Not so classy,I’ll just say Poko baby!*runs away*

41. BlueEyed

October 29, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Can we just take a moment and appreciate women like Michelle Obama and Carla Bruni, that’s the type class I respect.

• BlueEyed

October 29, 2014 at 12:10 pm

^^Type of

42. Toma

October 29, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Sometimes you can tell a person is classy without having met them. That being said, i think Ms Socially Awkward must be classy. Just my thots

• Bleed Blue

October 29, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Yup Toma, she is. I’ve known the lovely lady for a bit.

She can teach a class on class.

43. Rachel

October 29, 2014 at 2:03 pm

what will you define as socially awkward….#another debate

44. Audrey

October 29, 2014 at 4:30 pm

yep. I agree with Mz socially awkward being classy. you can feel it from behind your computer

45. lindo

October 29, 2014 at 5:12 pm

The truth is I learnt a lot from this article and everyone’s thought. Thanks a lot..

46. Peculiar Okafor

October 30, 2014 at 1:18 pm

And you are very welcome dear

47. Wrong!

October 30, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Y’all wrong!

Class or being classy is a social construct!

If you read all the comments, you would see they dont agree and mean different things to different people.

Class is what the society has termed it to be.

Classy to you is reserved to him, classy to you is snobbish to her, classy to you is carriage to peculiar….

Class is a social construct!