Features

Ima Richards: Traffic Tension Therapy

People have their own way or relieving tension! Some go on a shopping spree, eating spree and whatever other spree they want to embark on, just to ease the tension; but when you’re caught up in traffic in Lagos, what kind of spree would you embark on to ease the tension? People have various unconventional ways. I got to witness one of these unconventional ways in traffic, here’s the low down.

You know the bumper to bumper kind of traffic we have on 3rd mainland bridge after the close of work; people on the Island are going home to the Mainland. Motorists tooting car horns all over the place, moving at the slightest shift of the car ahead, looking for any available opening that would keep them moving forward. They’re driving with stern faces, as if they could will the traffic to move with mind control, how they wish that could happen.

Anyway, my dear friend, Dipo was caught up in this notorious traffic jam and was already tensed up, having been in one place for over one hour coupled with his hectic day in the office. He was already complaining and was holding on to the steering wheel as if he wanted to actually pull it out. The next thing I know, he sighed loudly, raised the volume of the radio, jumped out of the car, took off his jacket, dumped it in the back seat and started dancing to an upbeat song playing on the radio.

Someone shouted, “Ha! Ele yin ti ya we re oh! Abi won ti te le yin de bi?” (Translation: this one has gone crazy! Or have they followed you to this place?). Forget it oh, my guy just continued dancing; displaying all sorts of dance steps to the amusement, admiration and confusion of everyone else. Not long after, a well-dressed lady walked close to him, observed him for a while and she joined in, displaying her own scintillating moves. It became a free for all viewing center as people cheered, applauded, laughed and even dished out some moves of their own.

Everyone was so caught up with the show that nobody really noticed that the traffic had eased up. The 3rd mainland bridge traffic dance hall crew; dancers and spectators alike, didn’t hide their disappointment as they went back to their cars; all tension gone.

“That was truly exhilarating!” said Dipo as he got into the car. Laughing, I said, “It was quite interesting watching you but why did you do that anyway?” “My sister, it’s either dance therapy or you would see smoke coming out of my ears today,” he said. My dear friend, Dipo had to ease the tension by dancing it away and it did him a whole lot of good.

Gotcha! You think this actually happened? Not at all. It’s just a figment of my imagination and I am sure it got you thinking about how you can be relaxed in the midst of heavy traffic.
Tell us what you would do to relax in traffic!

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Ammentorp

I'm Ima Richards. I am just a typical young person, with great expections, loving life and enjoying it to the fullest. My best moments come when I write by the lagoon not the seaside, its peaceful there

1. me

November 2, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I actually dance while driving in traffic. I don’t let the traffic get to me. instagram helps too, I also call friends to gist or I have someone I have someone to keep me company in the car.

2. Corper Shaun

November 2, 2014 at 4:59 pm

You really got me, but then dance is one good therapy, just don’t see myself doing that thing you imagined. Lagos traffic drives me alright, but my typical unwinding technique is definitely l some music going on and when the music supposed to get me relieved starts to do the opposite, i switch to envisioning myself in the most peaceful of places, in the most relaxing pose and doing the things i love…, it works like magic for me, takes me away from the present hassle.

3. tutu

November 2, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Looool! Nice one!!! I just listen to the radio, laugh, bop my head or hiss at the talk shows or songs playing.

4. Author Unknown

November 2, 2014 at 6:30 pm

I’ll tell you what I won’t do, and that’s definitely not pull Dipo’s fictional move. I’d probably think the woman joining in is about to rob me.

5. aurora

November 2, 2014 at 6:37 pm

LMAO.. i was scared o.wondering how come i missed this particular drama on 3mb. for me, music always helps. the radio stations tend to play some really cool tunes at the drive time hours. especially beat FM and classic FM. if the radio stations are not doing me good, i play my own compiled playlist. sometimes, if its a standstill traffic, i whip out my phone and start to tweet and read tweets. also, most times i time my phone calls for that rush hour traffic. earphones in my ears and im chatting away with a friend or family i need to catch up with. it makes the journey bearable.

6. fyre

November 2, 2014 at 11:43 pm

I make sure my phone is full and talk on it the whole time. Happened to me before this one was an accident bad hold up, thank God my friend called me immediately like they send am and we talked the whole time even after it eased up. I didn’t even notice the traffic at all…..so that’s my option.

7. Bullet

November 3, 2014 at 7:09 am

I turn up music very loud, sing and dance….

8. Ceemij

November 3, 2014 at 7:10 am

I pack a whole lot of sweets and gums. Then the radio stations that play songs that you can actually dance to are my best. I fact I flip through all the channels searching for the ones playing songs we know. No time to start listening to issues and talks coz they frustrate the brain. With the music playing, I forget the stress and traffic and go with the flow. I don’t pick calls esp on that bridge and beyond coz there are so many miscreants waiting to jump on you, mehn.

9. efe

November 3, 2014 at 9:37 am

i have always had this thought in mind,just come down from the car in traffic and just dance to the Music. It would be fun and would be on social Media.. lol

10. Tosin

November 3, 2014 at 10:04 am

I wish it was true 🙂 What a nice thought.

We need a revolution against traffic right now. Kai.

11. Folarin

November 3, 2014 at 11:02 am

Nah u didn’t get me, i know that can hardly happen in this lagos except its planned in fact it sounds like a story for a Tv commercial. lol

12. Patrick O

November 3, 2014 at 11:36 am

Hmm my people if that will help people to live long and enjoy them self in Lagos, i think someone should try it and see what will happen. Lagos na wah.

13. Pretenseslayer

November 3, 2014 at 12:16 pm

If I was caught in traffic, I would wish I was driving next to that handsome hot choco moco dude up there in the picture so I can flirt shamelessly. Lol!

14. makeupbyebi

November 3, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Dance in Lagos traffic? hmm.. yeah like @Folarin said it sounds like a story for TV Commercial 🙂
    For me in traffic, once am not the driver i fall asleep first thing first. Now if unfortunately am the driver it will be music blaring of all my fav. jams 🙂 i will never come outa my car in lagos traffic! hell no. If you know the stuff that goes down especially at night in Lagos, you will sit in ur car and pray to God for the damn traffic to move… its a miracle getting home everyday safely in Lagos.

15. Onyinye

November 3, 2014 at 2:29 pm

This story is very hilarious. Excellent article. lol. I have been laughing since. Hmm, Traffic matters, I just play my Jewel miner game on my iPad when that bumper to bumper traffic starts Jare. Life is for enjoyment. Infact I don’t even know when we get home cos am so hooked on the game sef. lol.

16. Biodun

November 3, 2014 at 3:49 pm

I think it’s basically the same for everyone; listen to music, tweet, chat, imagine been elsewhere. Just something to take your mind off the stress and tension. Whatever works for you is cool, just don’t get robbed and ensure you enjoy yourself.

17. kekedukes20

November 3, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Good one. Enjoying every bit of this