Features

Seun Tuyo: Thankful For the Random & Little Things

In the past months, there has been a sensation making the rounds on social media about the gratitude challenge. Many people took advantage of it to recount some of the things they are grateful for. It was overwhelming to see how people remembered many things some take for granted. Naturally, we get caught up amiss the hustle and bustle of the society and we find ourselves complaining more about things we do not have than expressing gratitude for things we do have. I believe everyone has something to be thankful for every minute, even the most miserable, most pessimistic and the most ill-fated person. It might be something taken for granted by others, but someone else is thankful for it.

Scores of people have lost their lives to senseless acts of violence and terrorism in our country Nigeria so far this year and countless others have lost their loved ones, their jobs, and others are marred for life, in grief, sick and/or living without hope. Despite these setbacks and bumps along the way, you are here, and you are reading this. You are truly blessed. I have written a few of the many insignificant things I am grateful for but before I begin, I want to express my most sincere gratitude to BellaNaija for this platform and also everyone who has taken time to read my articles, commented, given feedbacks and shared them with others, you make this worthwhile.

Here is mine:

• I am thankful for my parents, they remind me that many people have lost theirs.
  • I am thankful for my brothers, they are simple proof that people are unique.
  • I am thankful for sleep, it comes to me easy. It reminds me of many others dealing with insomnia.
  • I am thankful when my alarm goes off at 5am in the morning; it reminds me that I am alive, I am 5ft 7inches over and not 6ft under, and I have a chance at another cup of coffee.
  • I am thankful when I get up from bed in the morning and I can hear the cracks in my joints as I stretch, it reminds me that I have some working parts left.
  • I am thankful for toilet paper and toothpaste…just imagine life without them.
  • I am thankful when I have to whisper or yell. Ot reminds me that I have the gift of voice.
  • I am thankful for my house. Despite the war with traffic in Lagos, it reminds me that I have a place to call home.
  • As much as I nag about Monday, I am thankful I have a job considering the high rate of unemployment in our society; someone thought I was special enough to hire me.
  • I am thankful for my body, although it is a work in progress. It only reminds me that I have sufficient to eat.
  • I am thankful for deodorants. It reminds me of how unpleasant the smell of perspiration mixed with body odour is.
  • I am thankful for my two besties – Mrs. Holland and Garfield, they remind me that with friendships, it is quality over quantity.
  • I am thankful when I see my laundry bill; it reminds me that I have clothes to wear.
  • I am thankful for my fingernails, they remind me of how soothing they make bites and how convenient it is to peel off a price tag from a new purchase.
  • I am thankful when I look at my shoe rack, it reminds me that not only can I walk, I get to walk with fancy shoes and not barefoot,
  • I am thankful to the lady who sings off key in church, it reminds me that I can hear.
  • I am thankful for the dressing mirror I apply make up in front of, it reminds me that I can see.
  • I am thankful for the bitter sweet sensation I feel around my chin and stomach after I have had a really good laugh, it reminds me that without laughter the world would be a sad place.
  • I am thankful for the pain I feel when I am disappointed, it reminds me to appreciate life’s joy,
  • I am thankful when I get the chills from my drinking cup filled with cold water; it reminds me that I can feel,
  • I am thankful for Disney. Yes. I said it. They produced Frozen.

What if you woke up tomorrow with only the things you were thankful for today? Now you are thinking of making an exhaustive list, right? Think of all the exquisiteness that flows around you, look within and smile.  Be grateful for all the little things in your life no matter how random you think they are, because when you put them all together you will see just how significant they become.  Ultimately, it is not the happiness that makes us thankful; it is the thankfulness that makes us happy. Gratitude has a way of changing your mood, positively.

No I did not forget, I am thankful for Chocolates and Coca-Cola, they are simply irresistible. 🙂 🙂 🙂

And so I pose the question to you, what are the little and most random things you are thankful for? Try it, I promise not to judge you.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Daniel Korzeniewski

Seun Tuyo is interested in social development. She loves to interact with people and has a desire to make a profound and positive impact around the world. She suffers moments of weaknesses at the sight of a cold bottle of Coca-cola and Chocolates. Feel free to reach her on twitter and instagram @seuntuyo.

1. Largerthanlife.com.ng

November 27, 2014 at 10:18 am

I AM THANKFUL FOR ASOS IT MAKES BROKE GIRLS LIKE US FABULOUS WITH THE LITTLE WE HAVE …HAHHAHA!

• Seun Tuyo

November 27, 2014 at 11:03 am

I am thankful for ASOS as well, they stock real nice for less! LOL

• B

November 27, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Was gonna write a thank you message to you all before the ‘yearend’.

I thank all the Bella Naija family. The articulate writers, the real BN team and most importantly those who comment on different write ups.

You really don’t know how you have touched me. I learn a lot here: the reasonable debates, health, lifestyle and fashion tips, the big big grammar, etc. thank you all.

Miss SA, Bruno, Debbie, the Texas hausa girl, all them anonymous, etc. the names aren’t comin to my head.

I say thanks thanks thanks. Love you all.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

November 27, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I love you too. No homo. 🙂

2. debbie

November 27, 2014 at 10:38 am

I am thankful for the ability to fart, pee and poo (without external aids) and the relief that comes after.
    I am thankful for my bulging tommy. It reminds me of the gift of food and appetite.
    I am thankful for my dearest friend Ny…he makes me smile. someone out there is still looking for a reason to smile.
    I am grateful for the lines around my eyes and mouth..they are signs of frequent laughter.

• Seun Tuyo

November 27, 2014 at 11:05 am

I just kept going “AWWWW” for every line, i can relate with them Debbie.

3. Joy Babasola

November 27, 2014 at 10:49 am

You are not thankful for your sister abi? Don’t mind me. Way to go girl!!! Nice write up. Love you to bits

• Seun Tuyo

November 27, 2014 at 11:06 am

I am super thankful for you my lovely sister, you remind me of how sweet it is to have one…Can i have my Jollof rice now please. 🙂

4. efe

November 27, 2014 at 10:53 am

Psalm 34:1. l will bless the Lord at all times and His Praise shall continually be in my Mouth.
    So #THANKFUL all the Way.

5. Owelle

November 27, 2014 at 11:04 am

I’m thankful for my parents, God please I need them more than You do so please don’t call them to your bossom anytime soon. Thaankful for the gift of sight, for friends, love, laughter, and time that heals the hurt…

6. flora

November 27, 2014 at 11:05 am

Very good write up .We take too many things for granted .This write up has touched me such that I will have to take stock of things God has done for us this year for which we should be grateful. Thank you Seun for this write up. Best wishes in the new year.

7. www.idolordomains.wordpress.com

November 27, 2014 at 11:17 am

‘It’s not the happiness that makes us thankful. It’s the thankfulness that makes us happy.’ So true, Seun. I’m thankful, and I’m happy that I can be…thankful.

8. Ephi

November 27, 2014 at 11:21 am

I am thankful for life. When there is life, there is hope.

9. Lydia Ebuwa

November 27, 2014 at 11:25 am

Love u ryt back my chocomilo! Thank u for being thankful! All Thanks to God for life, family & friends.. great piece

10. TANTRA

November 27, 2014 at 11:28 am

I am thankful that I read this. It reminds me that I can see/read. I am thankful for my friend Onyi. It feels nice to have one person to frustrate for the rest of his life. I am thankful for my family members. United we stand, divided we still stand. I am grateful for myself. Being me is not easy. I am thankful to God for being God. I love the way He fathers me.

11. bhookey

November 27, 2014 at 11:29 am

I’m thankful for you my dear friend for writing this and making me realise the little things I’m not grateful for…and most especially I’m thankful for life cos it gives me hope for a better tomorrow #thankful

12. Anonymous

November 27, 2014 at 11:51 am

I am thankful for my mom,she is the best of them all. Although we sometimes quarrel and she brings up the marriage talk all too often, I wouldn”t trade her for anyone else.
    I am thankful for my dad and all the times he made us laugh when there was tension in the house.
    I am thankful for my elder sister whom I get to gossip with and although I don’t share all the gory details of my almost failing relationship issues with her, she always,always knows what to say to bring up my spirit.
    I am thankful for Fox biscuit, Snickers bar and chocomilo. It reminds of the blessings that I am not allergic to anything chocolatey.
    I am thankful for my job. Even though it does not pay much in the way of salary, It has connected me to so many people and given me so much clients that I make atleast 3times my salary before the end of the month.
    I am thankful for the spirit of financial management that has helped me to put aside enough money that will see me buying my own house by next month.
    I am thankful for Tee Although things are not the way I feel it should be between us with the fights and all, at least, I have someone who calls me everyday to know how my day went.
    I am thankful for my nephew, the sweetest boy ever.
    I am thankful for my few true friends whom I can tell just about anything and they wont judge me.
    I am thankful that L, whom I thought was my true friend showed me his mean self and helped me make the right decision to put him out of my life.
    I am thankful for my acquired baking skills that has not made Cakes and Cream or any other bakery eat my money.
    I am thankful for Dealdey that helps me eat at fancy restaurants for less than the actual price.
    I am thankful for the guy who makes chicken and chips and delivers them to my office when I need it.
    I am thankful for ASOS. Making me look fashionable for less.
    I am thankful for Aliexpress, making me buy otherwise expensive things for less, including human hair.
    I am thankful for Nipost delivering all my ASOS and Aliexpress orders for over two years without me ever losing any parcel.
    I am thankful for Bright, my Nipost girl who makes sure all my orders are delivered to my house on the mainland.

Although I still wished for many things, I am thankful for these few blessings in my life..

• Gold

November 27, 2014 at 3:42 pm

what shop on Ali express do you get your weaves???
      The ones i have tried have been disappointing to say the least!

13. Ugo

November 27, 2014 at 12:22 pm

I am thankful for the gift of life. With all the avoidable deaths in Nigeria , every day is truely a gift.
    I am thankful for my hubby who trusts me enough to leave his card with me to run the house and has saved me from the “what did you do with the money question ” .
    I am thankful for my two lovely looking boys . I have to pinch myself to believe they are mine.
    I am thankful that i am from a family with 7 siblings.
    I am thankful for my sister who i have very good laughs with . In my head we will always be kids.
    I am thankful to have discovered God. I am privileged to go to him in prayer and supplication and as random and petty as my requests sometimes are i know he is a God that is attentive to details so it’s all good.
    I am thankful for a job.
    I am thankful for the friends i have known and for the cousins in my life.
    I am thankful for God’s numerous blessings upon me and even as good as it is the latter shall be even greater for God is exceptionally able to do what we can ever imagine.

14. bb

November 27, 2014 at 1:02 pm

I am thankful for this post, it has reminded that thankfulness is the essence of joyfulness. Thanks girl.

15. anonymous

November 27, 2014 at 1:22 pm

I am thankful to God for everything, I mean everything! My life is indeed a blessing…, when I think of how far I’ve come, I marvel at God’s glory.
    I am thankful for my brother, he’s an innocent amazing boy and I just pray that heavenly father uses him for glorious things.
    I am thankful for the gift of love. I love loving my sisters. They are amazing! I am so thankful my elder sis’ is my bestfriend. We talk about everything!
    I am thankful for my amazing boyfriend. It’s amazing how two souls can come together and love like kilode! lol
    I am thankful for my boyfirend’s mum who loves me like her own. The bond between us is amazing!
    I am thankful for my amazing parents whom without them I wouldn’t be who I am today!
    I am thankful for my nephews. Basically, they are my kids.
    I am thankful for my job, it may not be my field but still I am thankful
    I am thankful for my body and face. I am beautiful hehe
    I am thankful for the spirit God gave me. This may sound weird, but I’m thankful for the fact I am very mindful of people’s feelings so careful not hurting them.
    !

16. oyat

November 27, 2014 at 1:34 pm

I am thankful to God for everything I am thankful for… He alone has made them possible.

17. C Holland

November 27, 2014 at 2:26 pm

I am thankful for you too my dear Seun. What will I do without my yang? 😉 love u boo. #somanyreasonstobethankful

18. Isha

November 27, 2014 at 2:32 pm

I’m thankful for successfully finishing my masters program. Postgraduate studies in this country can be frustrating.
    I’m thankful to God for blessing me with an amazing mum. She’s simply the best.
    I’m thankful for having wonderful brothers…I love you both .
    I’m thankful for my boyfriend, he is more than awesome… xoxo
    I’m thankful for my bestie, Josh, for always being there. I can’t imagine my life without you despite the fact that your hobby is to frustrate my life #Lol
    I’m thankful for the gift of life. I can’t thank God enough ‘cos He is the only one worthy of praise.

19. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

November 27, 2014 at 2:47 pm

I am grateful for the burnt offering my fried rice became this morning. I did not burn down the house as well.
    I am grateful for the glasses I have to wear all the time, It provides me with good laughs, like when I went an visit my boyfriend (at the time) without them and knelt down to greet his friends (who were my mates) cos I could not see well.
    I am grateful for the keloids I got from the chicken pox I had last year. It means they healed.
    I’m grateful for horrible menstrual cramps and stained sheets, it means I’m not pregnant.
    I’m grateful for being single, it means I have control of the remote.
    I’m grateful for my favorite wristwatch which has refused to set properly. It means I know how to tell the time.
    I’m grateful for my neighbors generator, with all the noise and fumes. It pushes me to work harder to afford a fully serviced apartment.
    I’m grateful for the deep bone tiredness I feel at the end of the days job. It makes me know I earned the salary alert at the end of the month.
    I’m grateful for pangolo music. It makes house cleaning more fun.
    I’m grateful for sad and lonely days. I get to wear my pepper red heels and have “Pretty Hurts” on replay.
    I’m grateful to the Lord Jesus Christ. For Him, I don’t need a reason.

20. myss omolola

November 27, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I am thankful for the gift of life cos really, death is now very cheap.
    I am thankful for my parents cos with them, i learnt contentment… So eating eba to school when I was younger was never a matter for deliberation…God please keep them safe for me…
    I am thankful for my siblings cos with them, i dont have to watch fuji house of commotion…
    I am thankful for my broken relationships cos the end of the matter is usually the best..
    I am thankful for my body!!!!! Oh mine!!!! My body is awesome! Just perfect for a beautiful geh like me…….
    I am thankful for my colleagues cos we disagree and come back like nothing happened…
    I am thankful for bee and bee… Although we dont talk as i type this but i know we will pick up from where we stopped soonest…
    I am thankful for tee who introduced me to my ex and later told him i dated dee and that i was eyeing her brother which i never did… She only reminded me of my mother’s saying *Who are your friends*…..
    I am thankful for my friends that are friends INDEED!
    I am thankful for this write up cos it lifted my spirit….
    #Foreverthankful

21. Aijay.....

November 27, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I am thankful for my kids. So adorable.
    I an thankful for my life and what God has been doing for me.
    I am thankful I can make myself happy with the various innovations God has made possible in the world.
    I am also thankful for appliances such as washing machine that make life easy.
    I am thankful I can help people.
    I am thankful for being alive and so on. Truly there are a zillion and one things to be thankful for.

22. chee

November 27, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Where do I begin?
    I am thankful for fingers to type this and eyes to read Bella naija.
    I am thankful for my adorable kids even though they make me yell sometimes,they give me reasons to live
    I am thankful for discovering Bella naija,its been exceptionaLly inspirational
    I am thankful for Iyke who ones said” even if there are no reasons to love,we love anyway because love is an action word and is not always based on feelings”

I am thankful to God for my job that gives me time but not so much money
    I thank God for helping me discover myself this year, I learnt how to make myself more efficient and happy,never knew I could do it
    I thank God for my parents and siblings and also bad belles,they made me hug my fears and I realised it wasn’t so frightening after all.

23. happychick

November 27, 2014 at 4:30 pm

first of all am Thankful that there”s a Special and Amazing Supreme Being “GOD” thank God for God because He is my Source, my Helper, my Confidant, my Miracle Worker and best of all My Saviour.
    Thankful for my parents, they are just so awesome, God grant them plenty of good health and long life (amen)
    Thankful for my sweet little sister, I love her like kilode even if i bully her atimes, the babe gets me more than any other person
    Thankful for the gift of life
    Thankful for my very flawless and beautiful face and skin, what else will I use to make shakara,#tongueout#.. its cos of it am asked questions like how do u cope with all the attention you get from men???..lol..me I reply am used to it, its really nothing hehehehehe
    Thankful for the special smartness and intelligence God blessed me with, how else would I surprise and dazzle people…yes beauty and brains
    Thankful for my amazing friends… their love and gist is second to none
    Thankful that with all the food I eat am still very much in shape…..cos am a foodie
    Thank God I have a job….at least it makes me appreciate my weekends more
    Thankful that I have so many things to be thankful for that if I keep writing people would jus conclude that my own is too much….lol…
    Finally thanks to the writer for this luvly write up

24. FunkyW

November 27, 2014 at 4:40 pm

>I’m thankful for my birthday today, I’m happy that I now appreciate my birthdays and celebrate myself whether or not I have money throw a feast .
    > I’m thankful for all knowledge I have about the Love and Justice of the Creator which helps me live my life in the right way
    > I’m thankful for my biggest fans; my mum and my sister Olumayowa. They’re my strongest pillars.
    > I’m thankful that even through feeling lost and clueless I know my future will be bright
    >I’m thankful for my emerging gardening business
    > I’m thankful that I can sketch designs and sew clothes
    > I’m thankful that I earn a monthly living
    >I’m thankful that I have an avenue to interact with children
    >I’m thankful that I have extended family that truly care.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

November 27, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Happy birthday, @FunkyW. The best of God, Love and Life.

• Honeycrown

November 27, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Happy Birthday FunkyW. Best wishes now & always…

• Mz Socially Awkward...

November 27, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Happy “Born” Day, Funky! 🙂 May there be more reasons to thank God in the new year of your life to come.

25. Gold

November 27, 2014 at 4:46 pm

I am Thankful for life and health,
    I am Thankful that Hay fever hasn’t destroyed me,
    Thankful that through all the episodes of food poisoning i have had this year, am still alive,
    Thankful that I have a job that i absolutely love (doesn’t pay the best, but am excited to go to work in the morning),
    Thankful for the horrible break-up i had this year, thankful for the “ex” that walked away and the ONE God is keeping for me,
    Thankful for my wonderful family; my mum is AMAZING,
    Thankful for all the disappointments I had to go through this year, I know in all that my God is mindful of me.
    Thankful for all my friend’s that got engaged and married this year, they make me realize that God is still in my neighborhood,
    Thankful for my Church and how refreshing it is to serve God is such an atmosphere,
    Thankful for the new people i met this year (not too many), but makes me realize that there are people for every time and season,
    Thankful for the friend’s that walked away making me realize that friendship doesn’t last forever and it’s okay for people to move on,
    Thankful for safety in all the trips i have made this year (life of a consultant);
    Thankful for good food; when you get food poisoning as often as i do, good food becomes a luxury;
    Thankful for all the progress i can see in my siblings, we are all truly growing up and it’s amazing how far we have come,
    Thankful for my Brother, he’s such a charming young man and i just can’t help but imagine how blessed He’s future wife is,
    Thankful for all my cousins, we don’t get along as much as we used to anymore but i glad we have all the beautiful memories,
    Thankful for the woman i am becoming, am still amazed at how much i have grown up in the last one year
    Thankful for the amazing vacations this year, makes me realize how much i have grown up,
    Thankful for DSTV Channel 172, 173 and 174; made most of my boring evenings bearable,
    Thankful for JESUS and for how much He loves me, His Love is indescribable!!!!

26. Tytes

November 27, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Lovely article. It reminds me of so many things but would only mention a few.
    I am thankful for the gift of life. For my Lovely Husband ( My DEE) and Adorable Son. It reminds me that God is indeed very faithful as He has given me making my life so beautiful
    I am thankful for my Fab Parents ( Papa & Mama) and Sweet Siblings( Tahlu & Bobo). I must say. I have the best of these bunch in the whole world.
    I am thankful for that fact that I am born again and have the Holy Spirit. It reveals to me the REAL ME and how I should live.
    I am thankful for answered prayers even when I felt guilty of not praying as I ought to. Gods mercy is new every morning.
    I am thankful that we have good food to eat, a roof over our heads, good clothes on our back, a welcoming place to work to show a bit of my skills and even have the privilege of reaching out to others to bless them too.
    So many more things……… Full of gratitude.

Thanks Seun for making me truly reflect on many many things to be thankful for.

27. flora

November 27, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Seun I am thankful for you being my daughter. Through you several people have been able to know the essence of appreciation. I appreciate you my treasure, your brother Gerald, your trusted friends our families our jobs that we are alive healthy and content .we remain grateful to God who is the sole provider of all these gifts. We love you our sister daughter and confidante. God bless you richly .have a wonderful Christmas and a great new year.

28. Mz Socially Awkward...

November 27, 2014 at 10:04 pm

It’s Thanksgiving Day and thus a wonderful excuse to display my random list of thankfulness to God.

– I’m thankful for food and that I have such a discerning palate for eating it. A life without good, tasty, delicious food isn’t even conceivable to my mind and I don’t know how I would have coped if I couldn’t cook it.

– I’m thankful for the great females God has put in my life. Seriously, these women just fill me with amazement at their awesomeness. Mum, sister, cousins, friends & my wise BN “sistren”. You are such an inspiration in ways you can’t imagine.

– I’m thankful that in 2009, I sank to the very lowest that I’ve ever been and I made it out of that pit to remain standing today. That couldn’t have been possible without the amazing prayer partners I had in the Pastor of my church and my choir director. These men are the truest description of “leaders” in my mind.

– I’m thankful for being a Nigerian. Can’t explain the basis of this particular note of thankfulness but trust me when I say that I wouldn’t have it any other way in another life. 🙂

– Almost similarly to the above, I’m thankful that God made me a woman. The male folk may never understand this one…

– I’m thankful that I’m educated enough to understand and quickly shoot down the shocking ignorance of certain white people that I experience from time to time. Minus joke plus seriousness, you need to have a level of wisdom to handle their foolishness without earning the “Angry Black Woman” tag.

– I’m thankful for the quirky sense of humour my dad imbibed us with (because, mumsie can be a tad too serious… But please don’t tell her I said so). Life would be very dire if you couldn’t laugh at it or yourself from time to time.

– I’m thankful for all my friends in good marriages who are proving to me that I have nothing to fear, regarding that mysterious union as there really can be happiness and the chance to meet a good man for as many who still hope.

– Almost on the back of that, I’m thankful for the lessons which God has taught and is still teaching me regarding the state of being a single unit.

– I’m thankful for being such a bargain shopper with a finely tuned understanding of how to hunt down a great deal. Otherwise, I would be flat out broke if I only bought things at full price.

– I’m thankful for all the other reasons whirling around in my mind but which I can’t put down here lest my thankfulness be misconceived as boastfulness. I’m thankful that I can even be thankful for them, if that makes sense.

And thank you Seun, for giving us an outlet to recount all our many thanks. 🙂

P.S: How could I forget music??? I’m thankful for the beauty found in great music and that I can be a part of its magnificence! Music is truly some other kind of magic. Good music, though, no all the pangolo offerings put out by the multitude that shall not be named here…. Happy Thanksgiving, BN’ers!

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

November 28, 2014 at 9:36 am

I’m grateful for Mz Socially Awkward. She taught me to be unselfish and that with the help of the Holy Spirit, I can have genuine affection for everyone I meet.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

November 29, 2014 at 6:28 am

Nne, you want me to tear up, ehn kwa? I shall not disgrace myself in a public arena like BN, oh! *reaching out with an invisible hug*

P.S:, We are still looking forward to reading your articles, missy 🙂

29. Happy baby

November 27, 2014 at 11:14 pm

– I’m grateful for my dad, who does his best to provide for the family in all manners.
    -I’m super-thankful to God for the been the product of a union of my parent, God gave my dad the best fit for him.
    -I’m thankful for my mum who can go 365 days without food praying and fasting, climbing the highest mountains for each member of my family (where would I be without her prayers).
    -I’m thankful to my friend Oluwatosin Omojola who believed so much in me and blessed me with a gift beyond my imagination.
    -I’m thankful to my bunch of friends, they are just awesomely awesome.
    -I’m thankful for my God-daughter Isabella, God bless you darling and your parent.
    -I’m grateful to my lecturer (Mr. Akinwunmi) who saw the potential in me and pushed me beyond my limits, now I’m in the middle of my PhD.
    -To my only younger sister, the one I love to bully and shamelessly beg for money, I’m highly indebted to you.
    -My two brothers who make me shout and realize the essence of siblings.
    -To my supervisor who has made my PhD a smooth sailing, you have been a total darling.
    -I thank God for everyone I have met in this journey called Life, there was always a lesson to be learnt good or bad but it shaped to be the strong woman I am now.
    -To Elim Pentecostal church, its been a home away from home and has opened my eyes to true Christianity.
    -To Pastor Rick Warren daily hope for refreshing me daily with the promises of God’s word.
    -To Bella naija, how would my day be without Atoke, Isio and Aunty Bella, so much stress relief.
    -To the make of indomie for saving lives since 1997, All hail indomie.
    -To God who always blesses me,always I love you Lord.
    -Lastly, to my Oloye my Dee the one that accommodates all my different shades and chooses me to bear his children you know I got deep love for you.

30. Alive and grateful

November 28, 2014 at 1:30 am

I am thankful that I haven’t given in to the voices in my head to end my life.
    I am thankful for that moment every morning when I realize that I am alive.
    Thank God for God because without him, there would be no me anymore.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

November 29, 2014 at 6:36 am

Those voices want a victory you should never give them. Imagine how much they want to rob you of; otherwise why else would they be pre-occupied with this life of yours that they claim has no value? I repeat – they want to steal something precious they can’t have without your consent.

I’m thanking God that you’re stll here, hon! Still standing and still mining the treasures which are waiting to be discovered inside you. We all have stories to tell about certain voices and I pray yours will be a great testimony for someone else to cling to in hope, very soon. xx

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

November 30, 2014 at 3:13 pm

@Mz Socially Awkward has said it all.
      God had a purpose for you before anyone else had an opinion, including the voices in your head.
      From life’s first cry, to final breathe, Jesus commands your destiny. No power of hell no scheme of man, shall ever pluck you from His hands. You stand in victory, Sin’s curse has lost its grip on you. Beauty from ashes, God’s perfect work yet, We await you….

31. Mzlyrics

November 28, 2014 at 3:35 am

Hmmm, I am thankful for the holy spirit who gentle nudges me to go back to the place of prayer and fellowship with the Father

I am thankful for life, good health and the gift of family and friends

I am grateful for opportunities that came my way when I least expected it

I am thankful for answered prayers and those expos, assurances and words in season I get from the spirit when I pray

I am thankful for even the ability and boldness to come before the Father in prayer without guilt and fear

I am grateful for platforms like BN which gives me a feel of home away from home and the wonderful commenters I love to read from all the time and learn wise words from

I am grateful for life itself, the hope for tomorrow, how far I have come and the dreams for the future

Happy thanksgiving people! God bless y’all.

32. Aduke

November 28, 2014 at 4:30 am

I’m thankful to God, even when am unfaithful, he remains faithful to me and reminds me how much he loves me.
    I’m thankful to my mum, she has been my rock. Her prayers keeps me going.
    I’m thankful to my dad, thank God he is alive, lord pls I need him to walk me to church and hand me over to my man so pls keep him for me.
    I’m thankful to my brother, although he can be annoying but he is still d best
    , when I had my baby, I disappointed everyone, I’m thankful my daughter is a blessing to me. So many open doors, @3, you never have a dull moment with her.
    Thank God for my friends, I hope I find a real friend some day.
    I’m thankful for my fiance, who understands me, accepted me with my flaws, my personal and most adorable critic.
    Thank God for making me who I am today.
    Thank God for my business,am hoping to get a good job with the help of God.
    Thank God for my body, beautiful shape. Well formed hips and massive butt.
    I’m thankful to my boobs, my twins, the make me feel more like a woman
    I’m thankful to my legs, the make me bold to wear short skirts and gowns without d polkadots
    I’m thankful for my big tummy, they make me jog and keep fit morning and night,
    I’m thankful to Bella naija.. They give me nice styles for my aso ebis, make me work harder so I can have a beautiful wedding, the write ups I learn every day… Now am a grown woman, aspiring to be a good wife and to raise mor godly children.

33. Aduke

November 28, 2014 at 4:32 am

*to my big tummy *

34. Gbenga Adeseye FAKOYA

November 28, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Brilliant piece..

35. Tunmi

November 28, 2014 at 6:38 pm

I’m thankful for:

1. Nigeria which produced my family, myself, As a, Brymo, Nigerian films and music, the Yoruba language (pre Nigeria).

2. My healthy body which saves me so much money in medical bills, and which I deem absolutely gorgeous (even with Hep B).

3. My mind and personality. I love my INTJ self, I love my naïveté, my humility, my ITK, my ease of laughter, my shortness, my attention to detail.

4. The USA: for its cultures, peoples, ironies, history (good and bad–so so so much bad), and its opportunities, and above all my godmother without whom I would be homeless or worse.

5. The solar system and earth…we’ve made it another year. Here is to several more.

6. Technology: toilets that flush, drainage systems, sideqlks, roads, BN, smart phones, Facebook and WhatsApp and twitter. And KOREAN DRAMAS!!!!!!!

36. Trendy

December 1, 2014 at 4:51 pm

I’m thankful for:
    1. My dudyemi self
    2. Gari and kulikuli, it refreshes my tummy. #wink wink
    Am thankful for everything joor

37. chee

December 8, 2014 at 8:56 am

And d voice came again,to haunt me and show to my very face the things that have gone awry,but God in his infinite mercies told my brain “daughter,scroll to the gratitude page and read again” I just did and I feel recharged and grateful to see this day on planet earth cos I know that this too shall pass,tnx seun!

38. chee

December 8, 2014 at 8:57 am

Gratitude all d way,#gratitude# gratitude rocks!!!