Scoop

Julianne Moore Covers ‘The Hollywood Reporter’ and Explains Why She Doesn’t Believe in God

julianne-moore-hollywood-reporter-february-2015-photos03Hollywood actress Julianne Moore is the cover star for the latest issue of ‘The Hollywood Reporter’.

Photographed by Miler Mobley, the 54-year-old redhead beauty dresses in fur and lace for the feature and in her interview, Julianne opens up about a number of things including how she believes in therapy and not God.

Issue_4_Julianne_Moore_Embed

Read excerpts from her interview below!

On her early 30s: I was lonely. I don’t think I felt happy. I didn’t have the kind of personal life I wanted. I’d spent my 20s working hard and trying to get to wherever there was, which wasn’t really anywhere. It was just a job, and I really wanted a family.

On believing in God: I learned when my mother died five years ago that there is no ‘there’ there. Structure, it’s all imposed. We impose order and narrative on everything in order to understand it. Otherwise, there’s nothing but chaos…We don’t know why it happened. She went to bed, and it turned out she had a huge bacterial infection.

On her husband of 12 years being 9 years younger: He’s an extraordinary individual, and he’s always made me feel good about myself and about my work, and I hope I make him feel good, too.

Read more from her interview below.

Photo Credit: THR

1. EllesarisEllendil

January 30, 2015 at 8:39 am

Look up to the sky on a clear night, every spot of light you see is millions of light years away, a little planetiod with its satelites. As vast as the earth is, as hot as the sun is, as distant and beautiful as planets are when viewed through a telescope, imagine that they’re infact countless other galaxies and we nothing but an insignificant speck in ours. I can understand people who don’t like as religions are currently practiced, but to deny a creator is unfathomable to me.

• eyong

January 30, 2015 at 9:48 am

Now, I’m going to ask you, to imagine that somewhere in the near future a time machine is built, one that can take us back into the past, say a thousand yearss or so. Now imagine that modern day creations like cars and rockets are taken back into this time period, and are shown to those who lived then, do you not think they will call the modern man a god? Will they not equate the operation of a vehicle to some kind of magic? Will they not bow down to him and his science? Of course they will, because as humans, we seek to categorize everything, black, white, straight, gay, right and wrong. And when we can’t understand anything, we theorize and call it fact. It’s a coping mechanism. I believe in God, but it’s certainly not because I can look at the sky, and IMAGINE it’s grandeur. Yes, the universe is vast to us, but so is our world to an ants, and an ants to a germs. 🙂

• solo

January 30, 2015 at 12:51 pm

This has nothing to do with there being a creator or not. If you study Thermodynamics and the law that governs physics, it explains those things. All the things you mentioned where discovered and explained by scientific scholars. 99% of them are not religious.

Educate yourself and stop talking rubbish.

• Chinagorom Martin

January 30, 2015 at 4:58 pm

You need education more my dear. Start from Anselm’s argument for the existence of God

• solo

January 30, 2015 at 6:38 pm

You obviously did not read or understood my comment. Anselm’s argument is a philosophical one that can be disproved by its very own logic. The argument about the existence of god is a more complex argument.

Not understanding how the creation of cosmic bodies like the original comment seems to point to is just not understanding what we’ve already researched and has been proven through science.

2. concerned

January 30, 2015 at 9:02 am

Well, she has every right to believe whatever she wants. But the big bang theory doesn’t make any sense to me. The Bible’s creation story makes more sense, so I choose to believe the Bible. To each their own.

3. dor-dor

January 30, 2015 at 9:13 am

Oh My ! EllesarisEllendil -spot on! I had to click the loved button a 100 times!

4. bruno

January 30, 2015 at 9:29 am

first of all congratulations julianne on your oscar win. cant wait to see the gown u would wear to the oscars this year.

religion is man made. the stories in the bible/quran dont add up. they all sound like fairy tales like harry potter.

have u asked ur self, who wrote the bible/quran. dont u dare say the holy spirit cause I will slap u.
    everything in these books are outdated.

• eyong

January 30, 2015 at 9:54 am

The saddest part about it my brother is that when we were young and will ask suck questions they’ll tell us that it was the devil working in our minds and we shouldn’t be curious. And then we grow up, and like the mumus we are, we carry everything on our heads that is told to us, because we are too scared to question. Smh.

5. john somto

January 30, 2015 at 9:34 am

My dear ppl die and dat doesn’t mean there is no God

6. F.N Nwapa

January 30, 2015 at 9:38 am

yep team noGod here. i really do not believe in GOD. I have no problems with people who do. i truly believe that whatever works for you is fine. if you need some sort of structure so that life makes sense to you- all well and good, but that shit don’t make sense to me. my problem with NIGERIANS is being more christian than God . i have lived in different parts of the world and know that Christianity is different from country to country.but the Christianity of Nigeria is the most judgmental i have ever come across.
    we judge what people wear, what they eat, if they smoke, if they imbibe alcohol. we judge people who have other religions or even other denominations. we are so sure that our own way is the only way. and of course worst of all is any real African religion. that one is straight from the devil.
    lets not even talk about the need to have a ‘daddy in the lord’.
    I tire, so .. ‘God bless you’.

• concerned

January 30, 2015 at 11:24 am

So what are you saying? That because Christians are sometimes judgemental (very true) there’s no God? That’s not enough reason, IMO. You don’t have to have a religion to believe in God, IMO.

• Ona

January 30, 2015 at 2:52 pm

No. She’s saying that christianity/the bible mAkes no sense to her and in addition to that, nigerian christianity is the most judgemental of all.

7. jhennique

January 30, 2015 at 9:51 am

lol. The “fool” saith in his heart “there is no God”. I feel sorry for people like this. Life with God is sooooooooooo much bliss

• solo

January 30, 2015 at 12:52 pm

So is being drunk all the time.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

January 30, 2015 at 1:28 pm

But you get a mother of a hangover afterwards, no? And the worry of liver cirrhosis darkening the promise contained in every bottle/glass of the “good stuff”…

• solo

January 30, 2015 at 2:16 pm

my point exactly!

• Onachacha

January 30, 2015 at 2:57 pm

@ms socially awkward…. U also get loads and loads of disappointments when u trust in a god ur parents taught u to, when u loose ur loved ones, fail that exam, become unsuccessul in life, get a divorce, etc. The only diff between trusting god and chronic alcoholism is that christians know how to convince themselves by saying that “its god’s plan” or “it’ll happen in gods time” when their hopes fall short.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

January 30, 2015 at 7:59 pm

@solo, I disagree and I speak as someone who’s sought a relationship with God. There’s no comparison between it and drinking and you can’t make that comparison from an outsider’s point of view as well without applying yourself to the actual experience of both situations.

@ Onachacha, I think you’ve made my argument for me already. “U also get loads and loads of disappointments when u trust in a god ur parents taught u to”. The operative words there are “a God your parents taught you to”. They can teach us only so much: true knowledge of that God comes from getting to know Him by ourselves. If someone knows a man a certain way and tells you everything that he or she knows about that man, you’ll only ever know that man through the words or teaching of that person. This is the same mistake which is made by dedicated church goers who insist they are Christians when they’ve never actually looked for Christ outside the words which emanate from the pulpit. They won’t search scriptures themselves, happy instead to feed off their pastor’s own exploration. They can’t feed themselves without looking for a “man of God’s” hand to hold the spoon.

When you know the God that you serve and you lose those loved ones or you fail at that endeavour, then you understand these are not the end of you. There is more to you and you will rise again to that place you’ve desired to. I’m sorry luv, but what you’ve described doesn’t reflect an actual exercise of TRUST in a God that you truly, fully, hope in. Christianity (the one that Jesus taught by example) is not a walk in the park and doesn’t fall within the same category as chronic alcoholism. Go and talk to a recovering alcoholic and let him or her tell you how easy it is to succumb to the lure of drinking. Exercising faith, my dear, is one of the most difficult journeys a person can embark on.

• ogeAdiro

January 30, 2015 at 11:49 pm

Who should look for who, the father or the child? If a man fathered a child, isn’t the man expected to reveal himself to his child? If God is our father, and he put us here on earth, why should he wait for us to look for him? Shouldn’t he reveal himself to us regardless of any and everything? If you even try to look for God outside of church and still fall short, you’re told that you’re not looking hard enough or they ask you to wait, that he will reveal himself to you in due time. Yes, God might exist but the Christian God just defies human logic. That’s the reason you’re always going to have people who think the Bible is full of fairytales.

8. Max

January 30, 2015 at 10:00 am

There is a God and he reigns supreme over the world.

9. Steve

January 30, 2015 at 10:12 am

My worry is that kids turn out to be believers of whatever their parents believe or worship. We turn out to be Christians cos our parents are Christians, we turn out to be Muslims cos our parents are Muslims. In certain cases children grow up and abandon the religion their parents believe in and they are usually termed rebellious or evil children. Let’s give our children education and show them what religion really is and let’s leave them to find the truth and chose for themselves which guides their heart.

10. Cindy Love

January 30, 2015 at 11:13 am

America took God out of everything and see where their country is heading….2year olds killing their parents!!! I would rather believe there is a God than not believe and when I die I find out there was one all along. I don’t understand atheists

• bruno

January 30, 2015 at 11:44 am

nigerians put god in everything now see the way nigeria is. 200 girls missing, no electricity, corruption, terrorism, tribalism, hatred, oldmen marrying little girls. pastors slapping little girls and accussing them of witch craft etc

so u believe in god just incase. to be on the safe side. hahahahahahahHa. u are dumb and beyond foolish.

• solo

January 30, 2015 at 12:46 pm

So Nigeria better than the US?. Dumb Dumb

• Aijay

January 30, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Nobody’s saying dt, though in terms of religious life and better morals, we’re much more better!

• solo

January 30, 2015 at 6:44 pm

Which morals do you speak off. Name them and I’ll get the data to show you that you are wrong. Reading random tabloids stories does not tell you whats going on.

You live in a country where its normal to steal from the poor in the name of religion(god). Doesn’t get any more twisted than that.

• VeryAngryNigerian

January 30, 2015 at 2:22 pm

So Nigeria that didn’t take ‘God’ out, how are they faring? Boko Haram, ritualists, son killing father, child rapists on the streets left untouched, 419 left right and center. …. There’s a big difference between religion and spirituality. Funny enough those who practice religion are like ritualists to me, they do the physical aspect for the most part (church going,holding hanky calling it mantle, anointing oil, ablution, putting palm oil and schnapps on top of a wooden doll), and neglect the main reason why religion came to be, a lot of misunderstanding going on in the world in regards to religion. There is GOD….at this point we cannot prove to another of his/her existence or non-existence. That’s why it all boils down to faith, it is believing without seeing.

• hawttalkwithtosan.blogspot.ca

January 30, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Sorry but you seriously shot yourself in the foot on this one.

• Onetallgirl

January 30, 2015 at 5:48 pm

2 year olds killing their parents does not happen cuz America took God out of everything. That is a very foolish statement.

• mtchewwwww

January 30, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Look at Nigeria wey dey add God to everything how it is! Aren’t Boko Haram, ISIS and co supposedly doing “God’s work”? Mtchewww. America used “God” to enslave their fellow human beings for hundreds of years. They used “God” to turn their fellow human beings into beasts so they can steal their lands and occupy them as their own. They used “God” to carry justify why they infected millions of “minorities” with diseases and used them to conduct several tests. A large number of American politicians have ties to KKK which is also an organization founded “in the name of God” and believe they are doing God’s work by attacking anyone who isn’t like them and the list goes on. In other words dearie, your comment is too flawed to hold even the smallest amount of weight possible. I’m tired of people using God’s name to marginalize, brutalize, oppress, humiliate and justify cruelty, racism, negativity, evil and discrimination. We should all be free to believe in what we want or not believe at all… as long as your beliefs and choices doesn’t trample other people’s rights and choices.

11. xaadarh

January 30, 2015 at 11:45 am

even the devil belives in GOD.. so what does that make you?!

• Ekalor

January 30, 2015 at 12:03 pm

An Atheist

• bee

January 30, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Do you know the devil that you know he/she believes in God? Did he/she tell you that?Again those are theories that someone told you or someone wrote in a book.

12. manb4real

January 30, 2015 at 12:24 pm

You know, your believing in God or not doesn’t change who he is, He is God either way. If the message of God which was delivered by angels and those who refused to believe received their just punishment, how can those who received the one delivered by the son of God…..and yet rejected it ever escape. Man was created by God. God put a void in man that only Him (God) can fully satisfy that void. No therapy, no matter how potent, no drug, no matter how effective, no human Love no matter how strong (not even husband and wife love) can ever, ever fill in that void. Take it or leave it, there is a God who loves the world so much that he sent His only begotten son to die the shameful death of a criminal to save the world. He will come again to judge both the living and the death, it is not my headache to know how he intends doing it, but I know its true. ACCEPT HIM NOW AS A SAVIOUR WHILE YET YOU MAY, OR THEN (WHEN HE COMES) AS A JUDGE; of course then you wont have a choice. Everything must not make sense to you right now, you are human after all, you have limitations.

• solo

January 30, 2015 at 1:01 pm

You sound like Boko Haram

• concerned

January 30, 2015 at 5:45 pm

How so?

• solo

January 30, 2015 at 6:40 pm

Believing in god or get punished. That’s classic Boko Haram rhetoric.

13. Busarni

January 30, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Even my sweet first lady clearly stated that; ” there is God ooh” (Patience. J , 2014).

• concerned

January 30, 2015 at 5:43 pm

ROTFLMAO

14. Temitope for JESUS

January 30, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Pls guys just picture this… …If two people debate if there is something or not, does that not make it real e.g I say there is no cup and you say there is a cup. Does that not make the object “CUP” real and existing even though we both have varying opinion.

Another story for you guys…………………………..there was an old college mate, he was a confirmed 1st class student (Pls note that most atheist have things going very smooth for them, most times very intelligent). We used to have this same argument. At a point i left him to his belief and ignored. There was a day we both saw a Christian song showing on TV and he made a statement like”dis der yeye god”. I was so so furious and angry and also told him that this same God is a peacemaker and a consuming fire and that if he chooses not to meet the peacemaker God, then I pray he meets the consuming fire God. Guys, i don’t want to start mentioning all what happened to this guy afterwards, God dealt with him and he saw it plainly tha it was God (based on the stories he told me).
    He later came back to me saying he now wants to accept the peacemaker God, after i had forgotten what i told him way back. You need to see the way he wa quoting the scriptures.

In summary, do not speak LESS of my God if you do not believe in HIM and please take it that you were told of HIM but you decided to do your will.

• Mohammad

January 30, 2015 at 2:24 pm

There is unlikely to be God. If you like curse me all you like. E no dey work! You can’t just bully people into changing their opinions. We need more evidence. YOU need more evidence. Abeg I’d sooner worship Obatala to maintain my cultural identity than the middle eastern gods that seem to now dominate our marketplace.

• tunmi

January 30, 2015 at 2:31 pm

And cheers to that. Obatala, Sango, Oya, Yemoja and be be lo. My african history professor once said, “They brought their juju and said their juju was better than our own juju. And we accepted theirs”

• Kay

January 30, 2015 at 3:50 pm

Do you have facebook or twitter? I admire how you think.

• ogeAdiro

January 30, 2015 at 5:29 pm

I’m with you %100.

15. Jennifer

January 30, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Christianity is a choice… Whatever you believe in, make sure you do what is right. I am a Christian and I do not judge. God is alive. Whether he Blesses me or not He is still God. If there’s no God then who created the universe and You?

• ogeAdiro

January 30, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Why should there be a creator? Why can’t we have creators? What if our being here was an unintended result of some other design?
      Mental slavery is real!

16. charming

January 30, 2015 at 2:13 pm

To those who say there is no God,Congratulations!!The Bible mentioned your types,so its not a problem. For me,having to live the super indestructible Life everyday given to me by God through the Lord Jesus, where in every circumstance and in every place i always know what to do. Am never confused,regardless of what I see, feel or ear. I walk Tall because I know the Monarch of the Universe is my Father, trust me..THERE IS NO BETTER LIFE. Scientist of years ago could have given explanation to all of Life, but they sure cannot explain Why i was not hit by a car that was so close to me moving so fast but didn’t see coming and when i did,when other people thought it was too late and all i did was to say STOP,and the Car heard my voice and stopped, tell me what happened? The same Bible you say the writings are outdated, those writings are so alive and potent in my life,and i live the supernatural life naturally everyday. There is an Higher people and its in God!!

17. Istidele

January 30, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Never heard about her and won’t bother to find out. Like who cares what you do or dont believe in or if you are dead or alive?

18. Joan85

January 30, 2015 at 2:41 pm

I learned not to debate on the subject a long time ago. I’d rather live like there is a God and and die to find out that there isn’t, than live like there isn’t and die, only to find out that there is a God after all. Na there e go pain pass.
    As my pastor would say, keep on living… 🙂

• eyong

January 30, 2015 at 5:42 pm

if that’s the case, then also live according to the teaching of Buddha, the islam God, and the jewish God na. Abi, they all have their repercussions for non believers.

19. CoconutPineapple

January 30, 2015 at 2:42 pm

I used to not believe in God, too many things had happened to make me feel like he didn’t exist or maybe didn’t like us nigerians.

Until 1 day when I thought my life was over. That day I prayed, more like talked to him and said “God if you’re out there, just show yourself, I’m not ready to go”

Something miraculous happened that day. Needless to say, I’m still here.

I feel the pain and hopelessness of not believing, I completely understand. I wish I have the eloquence to prove the existence of a supreme being.

But all I have is my own personal miracle.

Instead of arguing, why not ask God to show himself to you.

• anon

January 30, 2015 at 10:46 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I’ve also dumped apologetics. I just believe because I believe. It also took a tragedy for me to get to this point. We will find out in the end. And even tho I used to thumb my nose at the Pascal wager, it’s takes up the bulk of my rationale for belief and its good enough for me.

20. Drey

January 30, 2015 at 2:59 pm

–ALL Science and ALL Religion were all created by MAN. Science based on physical experiments, Religion based on theology and faith!!

–All civilizations from Antiquity till date(Egyptian, Greek, roman etc even till this very second u get to read this all worshiped idols at some point and had these idols or symbols as gods.

–The story goes the Jews were the first to introduce the idea of ONE ALMIGHTY GOD into theology, they went with the idea of having just one GOD and that is why they don’t rate Christians. Cuz Christians believe in Jesus Christ. (the Son of God) but funny enough, the Torah/old testament tells us that MAN was made in the image of GOD so interpreting that would mean MAN is GOD. or maybe not exactly, but u can clearly see the connection of Man
    and GOD in theology!! (maybe that explains why Jews are so influential in all walks of life even till this very second)

–the only proof I can think of right now that shows even the “”Israelites”” were guilty of this from the Old testament bible (the Torah) is from EXODUS 32 -“the golden calf”

“”Now when the people saw that Moses delayed coming down from the mountain, the people gathered together to Aaron, and said to him, “Come, make us gods that shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man who brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we do not know what has become of him.””

MOSES had only been gone for 40 days to answer GOD and the so called Israeli were ready to go back to their old ways!! which was idol worshiping!!

—So to think, Christianity is the baby project of Judaism and that the mother Religion doesnt really give a toss about its baby project, clearly goes to show that it is MANs view that is driving the existence of god in our minds and heads.

—But what I couldnt deny is the existence of supernatural powers or third party elements in the universe, now whether that is what is classified as GOD or DEVIL. luck or fate etc in ones reality, thats entirely up to you to decide

As africans, xtianity is still at its infancy and the current brand of xtianity in Africa is shady, but people dont care, they clearly can see it, but wont question or challenge. cuz why, they think all will be well or forgiven when they get to ”heaven” !! hahahaha i don laff tire!! anyway, at least the imagination of HEAVEN alone increases ones threshold for PAIN and Suffer tolerance!! on earth

21. ghnikki

January 30, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Even if you dont believe in God, it doesnt change the fact that he DOES exist.
    There will always be evil, there will always be death…you will live, and die, God will still be there! no matter what, God still dey!

22. Rose

January 30, 2015 at 3:06 pm

God exists. I don’t have to understand, I only need to believe. That’s why He is God. It’s good to ask questions about Him, and I sincerely pray the doubter/unbeliever find answer(s). But don’t ridicule, because you might get yourself in trouble.

23. funmilola

January 30, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Read all the comments and I couldn’t help but smile……one thing I definitely know for sure which no one born out woman can take from me funmilola is that God exists!

24. bee

January 30, 2015 at 3:34 pm

I under stand where she is coming from. I am in no way implying that she is right. For the record -I am not atheist. The world we live in or this thing called life is very complicating, and I THINK (I am not saying I know) people just come up with all of these theories to help us cope with struggles in life etc. No one knows for sure. There’s a difference between believing and knowing. . I do believe there’s a higher power. I believe in God, but all others theories I personally can’t say it’s a 100%. To each their own though, she has a right to believe what she does.
    I have listened to debates between atheists and Christians and I have never heard an theist deny that there is a force that created us, and keeps the laws of physics intact etc. What I think they mean by there is no God is, there is no God that listens our prayers and answers them, there is no God that says this is how life should be lived, and this is how humans can please me, or worship me etc, which to some extent makes sense. In this thing called life one person prays and might not get what they want, and another doesn’t pray and might get what they want. Also lets not forget that humans wrote the holy books(Bible, Quran etc), they did not fall from heaven or “heaven”. We all also know how humans are – we lie, exaggerate etc. None of us where there. Let’s not forget that.

• bee

January 30, 2015 at 3:39 pm

***understand
      *** an atheist

• anon

January 30, 2015 at 10:41 pm

This is exactly what I feel most times about this issue. Thanks for sharing

25. Authentic Sunshine

January 30, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Yesterday I left home in good time to beat traffic. Me? I was bright and early. It was snowing heavily. Two minutes off my driveway and I lost control down a slope. Picked up speed as my car sped. The middle pedal pressed to the end was making khri khri sound and not halting the car. As a seasoned naija driver, i dont use seatbelts. I remember shouting “blood of Jesus” thrice as my came to a stop, wedged between a street lamp and the street waĺl. This is at the neck of a busy A52 junction.Thankfully no casualties.
    Trust me, it coulda been worse. Old people go for early walks, regularly down my street.

Now, the Bruno and his likes will say: I know an atheist with the same experience or I know Christ lover who had a “ghastlier” experience. And I say to them, you’ve missed the point. His grace and mercy dwell over all mankind. Sinners and the faithful. Let me tell what believing in God through Jesus does. It gives you peace that nothing else “absolutely nothing” gives and nothing can take from you.

The debate over God’s existence will always be there to confuse us. Thankfully there are scriptures, experiences and sayings to guide us.
    Faith and belief go a long way. We can’t analyse or rationalise it logically. It ultimately is our choice. Somebody said: I rather believe and live my life righteously then get to the after life to find out there is no God than……………

Many people get away with murder literally in their pretentious practice of Christianity but then again if you listen to the depth of your heart, deep down in yourself, you would know the truth.

• CurvesAndEdges

January 31, 2015 at 9:55 pm

This doesn’t make sense… you seem proud of the fact that you don’t wear a seatbelt because you are a ‘seasoned Naija driver’. Now you escape an accident that could have been fatal to you and other people and then you remember the grace of God. *smh*. I wouldn’t be surprised if you’ve gone back to not wearing a seatbelt.

26. Lanna

January 30, 2015 at 5:14 pm

I studied Psychology and Philosophy as my undergrad degree. A double major. Those courses teach you that there is no God. And it explains to you why there in fact is no God. Throughout Uni and post grad, it was such a struggle for me to decide what was right. Like everyone, i figured faith was a way to make us not lose hope. My mother is deeply spiritual and holds a title in church. My father is one of those really intelligent guys who read everything and know everything about everything. Religion was difficult for him too.

However, my life changed in 2010. My favorite person in the whole world passed away. I started to do everything i shouldn’t to escape from the pain and i officially renounced God.

4 years later my life was a mess. Everything looked fine on the surface but it wasn’t. i was deeply unhappy. I went for Cross Over service at TPH -my first ever and i decided to truly try to give God a chance if He is there.

Its still unraveling so i don’t have years of experience ahead. All i can say is that i know He exists. Because in those moments when i am deep in depression and anxiety and I want to throw my hands up again and renounce Him, i say to Him. Lord if you really are there, and you know me and you exist, show me. (and i specify how i want him to do that). I’ve done it twice now, two days ago was the second time and He’s proven himself.

God exists. He is that quiet voice that you easily ignore. Like someone earlier said, ask him to reveal himself to you. And when he does, believe Him.

• solo

January 30, 2015 at 6:51 pm

The thing about science is that it works weather you believe in it or not.

Return your degree, everybody goes through a patchy time. Some get through it and some don’t, So all these people giving church testimony about how god takes time out of his day to come solve their personal problems (out of the billions of people in the world) should tell him next time to go help those girls that were kidnapped up north, or the school kids that were shot up in Pakistan, or those hungry kids you drive by on the highway everyday. Or tell your god to come reveal himself to me in a specific way. I’ll come back tell you if he/she came.

27. hawttalkwithtosan.blogspot.ca

January 30, 2015 at 5:23 pm

I do not like arguing about religion, faith, politics and sport teams so I”m just gonna enjoy the commentary.

28. akinwumi bamidele

January 30, 2015 at 6:10 pm

My own question is, of what purpose is human creation on this earth?? And why was adam and eve left alive when they’ve failed God commandment in the garden of Eden??, As a technologist if you created a ceiling fan and it got spoilt due to high voltage input of whose fault is it?, The fan or the technologist? Ponder on this and don’t focus on my english I will work on that when I have time for it. I’m just curious if you can create something and still put the thing at fault for failing to carry out the assignment you gave to it.

29. Fizz

January 30, 2015 at 11:15 pm

I agree that religion is man made. But the feeling of the existence of a higher power(God) is definitely the basis of all the religious loons out there.
    I believe in the source that fills our souls with energy call it God, Buddha, Allah, Shiva, Zeus, or Fizz… who cares. Just keep it to yourself and stop using it to tamper with peoples emotions. Sheesh.
    Religion na politics…

30. Vocalcords

January 30, 2015 at 11:46 pm

Your analogy is truly funny,comparing an inanimate object to beings created in the image and likeness of God. Yes, I do believe God exists and no matter how much we say he doesn’t exist,it does not make Him automatically disappear. I will not even attempt to explain or convince anyone because a whole bunch of people already have their minds made up. Any explanation here would have me referring to the greatest book of all time-the bible. I have no doubts because he is as real to me as the very device I’m using to type this. I have too many occurrences in my life that can no longer pass for coincidences..The peace I feel is one of the greatest gifts of knowing Him, I just know it will work out somehow no matter what lies ahead or what I face. If you want to know for a fact just ask Him..its that simple. Say hey,I hear you exist and I do not believe, but if you are real,reveal yourself to me. It’s not His desire that anyone should perish. I know how I may sound right now but give it a try. I did and have never regretted my decision…#God’sloveisunfathomable

31. Okeke nwaka

January 31, 2015 at 1:20 pm

I don’t know the need for this rubbish argument.

32. Warren

January 31, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Interesting to read such varying opinions. The question about whether or no there is a God is more complex than it sounds. It is not enough for one to belive in the existence of a deity. More questions arise; what deity do you believe in? Is it Jehovah/Yahweh, Allah, Krishna, etc.. And even then more questions come up as to what denominations we affiliate ourselves with; are you a roman catholic christian or a presbyterian or a lutheran, etc or are you a shia muslim or a sunni, etc.

The truth is that belief (or lack of it) in God is an individual’s prerogative. No matter how much you’d like to think otherwise, there’s no way you can effectively prove or disprove the existence of God. If it were possible to do either, then there’d be no need for the recurring debate.

So believe if you feel you need to, or be an atheist if that’s what you can allign yourself with. However, irrespective of whatever works for you, do not try to shove your doctrine or ideas down other peoples’ throats. You see, having an opinion on matters such as this is tantamount to having a penis; It’s perfectly okay to have one but it becomes an issue when you start dangling it in everyone’s face.

To each their own.

33. Ibukun

January 31, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Thanks Okeke, neither do I. The argument is so silly.

34. Sparks & Tingles

February 1, 2015 at 11:06 am

I believe in God. Maybe not the Christian God or the Muslim God. I believe in a supreme being without whom nothing would have existed.

It doesn’t make sense to assume that something as complex as a plane would have existed without a fabricator. The same way all our features and organs wouldn’t have existed without an intelligent designer that knew what he wanted with every organ. A genetic accident couldn’t have given rise to something as perfect as he human body.

35. Felinda1

February 1, 2015 at 12:12 pm

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

i will never debate idiots or fools WHO DON’T BELIEVE IN GOD, Its a Complete waste of precious time. I can only feel utterly sorry for you and pray almighty GOD saves you from YOUR lost cause