News

Lagos Court Dissolves 18 Year Marriage Over Wife’s Frequent Partying

argumentAn Igando Customary Court in Lagos on Tuesday dissolved the 18-year-old marriage between Olukayode Atolagbe and his wife, Bisi over her frequent partying.

The court’s president, R.I. Adeyeri said that all efforts to reconcile both parties failed, and the court had no choice than to dissolve the union.

“Both parties are no longer husband and wife, they are free to go their separate ways,’’ Adeyeri ruled.

The petitioner, Olukayode , 47, had filed a suit seeking for the dissolution of his 18-year-old marriage over his wife’s alleged frequent partying.

“My wife hardly stays at home as she frequently goes from one party to another, both on weekdays and at weekends.

She cannot do without attending three to four parties a week; sometimes she will go for days without bothering about what the children will eat,” Atolagbe said.

He described his wife as a “fighter and a trouble maker,” saying that she always fought their tenants and even himself in public, to the extent of tearing his clothes.

“Before I built my house, our landlords always eject us from our apartments due to my wife’s frequent fighting with either the landlords’ wives or fellow tenants,” he said.

Olukayode said that his wife would strip herself naked to swear on him, and that such curses had affected his life and businesses.

He begged the court to separate them, saying that he could no longer cope with her behaviour and that he did not love her anymore.

In her response, Bisi, 40, accused her husband of sleeping with one of their tenants.

“My husband is having an affair, I caught him red-handed with one of our tenants,’’ the mother of four told the court.

She, however, did not contest the allegation of frequently attending parties.

“Yes, I attend parties a lot, especially those organized by my friends, relatives and my customers, so that they can continue to patronize me.”

She said that her husband wanted to kill her, and that he once put a charm at her doorstep.

“If not for God that woke me up, I would have been dead by now. I sighted my husband dropping something at my door, I asked him what he was dropping and he said it was rat poison.

“But we had never seen any rat in the house, by the time I came down from my bed to see what he dropped, he had picked the thing and ran back to his room,” she said.

The respondent said that her husband could not take any decision of his own except he first consulted with his family.

Bisi also accused her husband of starving her of sex, saying that he last slept with her in March 2014.
She, however, begged the court not to grant her husband’s wish and that she still loved him.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime.com

1. gia

January 6, 2015 at 3:42 pm

I no fit shout

2. D

January 6, 2015 at 3:48 pm

lmso…

3. AB

January 6, 2015 at 3:51 pm

She, however, begged the court not to grant her husband’s wish and that she still loved him….lmaoooo, so the guy’s concerns are valid then…You still love him but wont do the right things to keep him and save your home!

4. Mystique

January 6, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Playing the devils advocate here: oga, suck it up o. how many married women have gone to court for dissolution of marriage just because their men are party animals???? women have been enduring this for as long as i can remember………..night life especially in lagos, ph and abuja is boosted by the activities of married men. lmao

• olu

January 6, 2015 at 5:04 pm

So, because wifes in OTHER marriages suffer in silence, he should do the same in his marriage..right? OK

• Nahum

January 6, 2015 at 6:28 pm

To join her in playing devil’s advocate, Naija men do not know how to suffer in marriage. Any little thing and they are calling family meetings and asking for divorce. But Naija men have PHDs on putting their wives through hell. Maybe he should suffer small in silence sha.

• ada nnewi

January 6, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Very sure you are one of the undisciplined married men!…

• Iris

January 7, 2015 at 4:00 am

Err he’s not suffering that much compared to her, it seems. He’s cheated on her, allegedly tried to kill her, and has refused to sleep with her. If you think they should separate amicably fine, but he’s not the sufferer here abeg. Lots of men are like spoilt children I swear. You will write prose about how a virtuous woman should adjust to all the rubbish her husband dishes out to her, from infidelity to bullying to mental and physical abuse. One small thing happens to you and the whole world must hear your crying and wailing.

• Iris

January 7, 2015 at 4:01 am

Plus if this article had been about a woman leaving a man for frequent partying what would you have said? Only men know how to suffer abi? Nonsense

5. HAWTTALKWITHTOSAN

January 6, 2015 at 5:59 pm

I have died! But seriously the partying habits of some people are just questionable. What are you looking for that is not in the home? That is what the Mr should be asking his Mrs. I think they are better off apart because there are life threatening accusations involved here. Unfortunately not all unions are meant to be.
    hawttalkwithtosan.blogspot.ca/

6. Dr. N

January 6, 2015 at 6:04 pm

“She however begged d court not to grant her husband’s wish….” E ji kwa m ogu O! According to Zebrudaya.

7. Nahum

January 6, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Eya, so if daddy is sleeping around and mummy is the owambe queen, who is raising the kids? Hmmm, those poor kids! Having such selfish parents. God help them

8. True Talk

January 6, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Nice to see a woman complaining about her husband denying her sex for a change…..it is always women complaining and I was beginning to wonder.

9. porshe

January 6, 2015 at 11:46 pm

He married her at 22 n he was 29 n u dnt xpct such frm her. Nowadays i will advice ladies to v a little xposure bfr settling down so by den nothn will b new to dem, m not tlkn abt runs or sex ere but a reputable social life. But when u jump n marry wvout zero exposure and social life, u wil start gettn gingered day by day wen u c ur frends, colleagues hvn fun which u cnt v as a married woman but shud v as single lady, not evn wv all ds oppression on ig lmao. If dat type of wife is on ig d man own don done lol. Social life is very essential in a ladies Life. I refuse to marry under pressure. M 28 n stl yet to settle dwn. Stl cnt figure out y all ds young ladies r in a haste to settle dwn. If was 22 my mother wl nvr allow me get married at dat age(in ds century). My 2cents

10. iseemaths

January 7, 2015 at 5:52 am

i laughed so hard… cos this is no issue at all.
    madam is an extrovert, Oga is an introvert. Meet in the middle, and find a balance. stop killing her owambe spirit (after buying asoebi she no go attend event…. kai na lie). Madam you too, feed ya man ooh, cos somewhere in lagos a sidekick is praying for this so she can swoop in and be the mainchick.

11. mrtolulope

January 7, 2015 at 8:03 am

na wa oo… nothing we no go see for naija

12. JULIE

January 7, 2015 at 11:40 am

wait oo, why some men cant satisfy their wives on bed. why she no go go party when the husband cant keep her company.

13. mulikat

January 7, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Man want to kill you, but beg court not to grant divorce,i cant belive u woman.