News

Lagos Woman Seeks Divorce Over Husband’s Heavy Drinking & Smoking

NAN

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????A business woman, Celestina Falaye, 33, pleaded with an Igando Customary Court in Lagos on Tuesday to dissolve her marriage, citing her husband’s heavy drinking and hemp smoking habit.

Celestina told the court that her husband drank a lot of liquor and smoked Indian hemp, after which he often misbehaved.

“My husband takes alcoholic drinks excessively and gets drunk after which he falls inside gutter, misbehaving and disgracing me.

“Neigbours will be calling me to come and carry my husband that he has fallen inside gutter.”

Celestina said that after smoking Indian hemp, her man would always start acting strangely.

“My husband is always mentally disturbed after taking hemp and he always descends on me, beating me,’’ she said.

The petitioner said that she established a business for her husband, who was jobless but that the business collapsed after just two months.

“I opened a bookshop for my husband but he mismanaged it — the capital and profit were spent on beer. He is lazy and does not want to work.

“He depends solely on me for feeding, paying the children school fees and paying house rent,” Celestina said.

The mother of two begged the court to dissolve the two-year-old marriage, saying the love she had for her husband was gone.

However, the respondent, Segun Falaye, 40, denied some of the allegations but accepted some.

Falaye said he was used to drinking but that he was not always drunk. He denied ever taking Indian hemp.

“I have never taken Indian hemp before but I take alcoholic drinks moderately not excessively.’’

Falaye said that he used to pay bills when he was working but now that he had no job, he could not steal to fend for his family.

He said that his wife wanted to turn him into a house boy.

“She controls and commands me as if she was talking to her baby all because she pays our bills,” Falaye said.

He described his wife as an aggressive fellow.

“My wife is aggressive, she gets angry easily and always and she slaps me anytime we have misunderstanding and tells me that I have no say.”

He, however, begged the court not to grant his wife’s demands as he was still in love with her.

The President of the court, Ruphus Adeyeri, adjourned the case to Jan. 21 for judgment.

Photo Credit: Bryan Creely/Dreamstime.com

1. ATl's Finest

January 13, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Lol I don’t blame you neither is it the solution but some folks don’t know how to stop once they start…Healthy life comes first. Our wife please stop slapping a man that’s extremely RIDIC! Hopefully Oga finds a job so he can afford some bills too.

• tunmi

January 13, 2015 at 3:11 pm

But she had the bookstore for him and he spent the money on drinks. Could the slaps be coming when he’s beating her while drunk?

If it was the husband being aggressive when the wife isn’t working, would it be a problem?

2. Nkechi

January 13, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Babe, you are better off taking care of yourself and your kids alone. Why feed a young man who should be out there working and taking care of his family. Divorcing him may not be the best solution. Have you considered praying? However, please pray for him from a distance bcos I don’t quiet agree with the beating you up after a drag of indian hemp.

3. Reality of life

January 13, 2015 at 3:09 pm

In as much as i don’t encourage this, many ladies need to come and read between the lines and know why some men never want their wives to be richer than them.

Not that they don’t love their wives o, but what they have gets into their head and gets them so high.

The man was paying bills b4 he lost the job, now that you are the one paying you can do whatever you like? slap him? turn him to houseboy? saying he has no say?

The love you have for him has now gone bcos he cant pay the bills anymore? Dont you know that lack of job and inability to pay bills can send a man into depression and drinking?

chai!

You never know human beings till your dark period in life!

• Nahum

January 13, 2015 at 4:26 pm

What a stupid statement!!! The man is a heavy smoker and he abuses her physically plus he has no job and does nothing for his family, but you decided to ignore all of that and still blame the woman. This is why Nigerian women are still in bondage. Why should she be humble to a lazy, abusive, ganja smoking drunk who has neglected the needs of his family? How can you respect someone that you have tried to help with money and prayers and yet the person still insists on returning to their own puke? If the tables were turned and this was a woman acting this way, will the man still be married to her? Before men demand respect, they should assess themselves and see if they truly deserve it. This woman should divorce this man, for he is bringing her and her children down spiritually, financially and emotionally.

• Reality of life

January 13, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Nahum, you are the most ignorant, unlearned and nescient person i have ever met in my life.

Read it all over again before you start foaming

ode

• Nahum

January 13, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Lol!!! You can’t win an argument by insulting me, only children argue like that. Typical Naija man, resorting to insults when challenged. You made a stupid statement and I stand by my words!!!

• Reverse

January 13, 2015 at 10:40 pm

Nahum biko don’t mind this ganja smoking “reality of life”! You said it all…

• Diuto

January 14, 2015 at 10:17 am

Your reality is a disaster. Did u even read the part she said stated she set up a business for him but he squandered the capital & profit in 2 months? He also beats her after drinking and smoking hemp but u conveniently avoided that in your comment.
      So until she is killed when he’s under the influence of drugs & alcohol then u would be satisfied abi.
      Pls wake up before I pour ice on u!!!

Who knows the man mayb lying bout she slapping him. She should relocate with her kids without informing him. Until he becomes sober he may not even notice she’s gone
      He’s unemployed doesn’t mean he cant help with chores in the house to relieve his wife the bread winner of additional stress when she returns. Real men who work & are married help around the house, how much more one without a job. After job hunting for the day, get home early & assist her not go drinking. Afterall the kids n home belong to both of them not just d wife. Sorry 4d long rant

4. MC

January 13, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I’m confused. Why is this news?
    Is such a thing unheard of?
    (serious questions)

5. diodos

January 13, 2015 at 3:45 pm

If he was rich now she wont be quick to divorce him

• Nahum

January 13, 2015 at 4:27 pm

He can never be rich. He is smoking and drinking his wealth away. GTFOH with your victim mentality

• Bitter humanbeing

January 13, 2015 at 8:43 pm

You need mental checkup

You are a very bitter human being

God have mercy on your soul

6. E l

January 13, 2015 at 4:17 pm

They need to investigate to know who is being truthful. Did she really open a book shop for him, if so, then she doesn’t want to leave him cos he’s out of job. The guy is lying. But then prayer is the way out, from a distance

• olu

January 13, 2015 at 4:40 pm

You judged the guy to be the guilty one …and then you brought in prayer. smh

7. Do better

January 13, 2015 at 5:54 pm

But it does sound like the guy is more guilty although both sides may have added some ‘pepper and salt’. If, as he claims, she slaps him and controls him etc, why would he be against a divorce? If he’s truly not a lazy person, why claim to still be in love with his wife despite all his counter accusations? That’s really strange in any environment talk less of Naija. Its probably more likely that he doesn’t want to let go of the easy life she enables him to have.

8. Chacho

January 13, 2015 at 7:47 pm

I will say if a man does not have a job, he will start constituting a nuisance. He will go into some ridiculous depression. Worst part is if he has an ego and then his wife has a job. God forbid, she is doing very well in her own job. All hell will be let loose. No matter how much respect she gives him, no matter what she does, there will be a problem. If she says something, or walks a certain way, he will say is it because I don’t have a job? No matter how much money she gives him, or how she takes care of all their responsibilities even without complaining, he will find a way to frustrate her. The day she lashes out, he will say ehn, “its because I don’t have a job”; you did this and that but he will not say what action he took to cause such reaction in her. They say they want someone to stand by them when they are down, but they don’t have what it takes to let someone stand by them, They just end up ruining the woman emotionally. At the end of the day, they will still come and say she has not done anything for them. after-all. With this, I have come to conclude that men are twisted.

• girlie' o

January 13, 2015 at 9:06 pm

You are so right. This was my reality in my teens. Terrible, terrible place to be in especially in your childhood.

• olu

January 13, 2015 at 9:20 pm

So nice of you to generalize. I know a few men in such situations ..and they are very supportive and appreciative of their wives. This might be because they dont live in Nigeria but they are men all the same so please do not generalize.

9. chacho

January 13, 2015 at 9:34 pm

My reference wasn’t even to the ones in Nigeria. I was referring to the ones abroad actually. All the scenarios I have seen (I have seen a lot), has gone this way. I think its safe to say this is a rather appropriate generalization. However, they may be some outliers.

10. Daisy

January 13, 2015 at 9:49 pm

See what money is causing! Hmmm…Only God in heaven knows the truth about this matter! Let’s not judge or condem any of them, it could you,pls let’s help dem in our advice, pls celestina and segun call this number if you want your marriage to be restore bcos wit God all things are possible,celestina remember it wasn’t like that when u married him. Pls call quickly 08184061403