News

Burkina Faso’s Members of Parliament Agree to Cut their Salaries by Half Following Public Outrage

BurkinaMembers of Parliament in Burkina Faso have decided to cut their pay in half following public outrage about their monthly salaries.

It was recently revealed that they earned over $3,000 a month, BBC reports. This revelation led to feelings of anger amongst the people of Burkina Faso. The average salary earned by the country’s citizens is approximately $150 a month.

Burkina Faso’s former national assembly was replaced by an interim parliament,  the Transitional National Council (CNT), following violent protests in Burkina Faso over President Blaise Compaore‘s attempt to extend his 27-year-rule in October 2014.

According to reports, “members of the 90-member CNT have been paid a gross salary plus attendance fees, office allowances, healthcare supplements and fuel costs.”

Photo Credit: BBC/AFP

1. Benson Ossai

January 13, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Nigeria law makers should follow suit please.The next legislators coming should endeavor to cut their salaries too.

2. right

January 13, 2015 at 2:58 pm

People over there are gathering some balls. Nigerians are permanently scared. Politics remains the most lucrative job in Nigeria.

• Soraya

January 13, 2015 at 10:51 pm

NIgerians are deeply divided, by the same people lording it over them!

3. Tony

January 13, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Ooohhhhhh. Power to the people. Some countries in Africa are in slumber not knowing that as a united front they can destabilise all the crocodiles in power. I applaud you Burkina Bays. Keep it up and transform your country.

4. tunmi

January 13, 2015 at 3:12 pm

When citizens actually put their words to actions

5. Naijababeii

January 13, 2015 at 4:08 pm

If d make dat place less profitable(NASS)EX-GOVERNORS/OLD MEN AND WOMEN will neva smell there, they d will sit in their homes and babysit for their grand children.Lawmakers in NGA shame on all of you

6. Iwitnessng

January 13, 2015 at 4:10 pm

This is impressive, I am proud of the members of parliament of burkina faso, when will nigerians arise and take to the streets? In today’s Nigeria when you ask youths to rise up and follow you and protest or challenge an executed authority as regards policies affecting the common man , they ask you how much? I pray for a country where greed and corruption is eschewed, where will all arise when our neighbor is in need.

7. nwa nna

January 13, 2015 at 4:18 pm

$3,000 per month is probably what each Nigerian legislator gets per month for their feeding allowance on top of their already outrageous pay. I’ve never come across such a wasteful & inconsiderate bunch like the Nigerian elected officials. ssh

8. BubblyBliss

January 13, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Which way naija?

9. Nakoms

January 13, 2015 at 6:47 pm

See my Life!

Me and my country men dey speak english, dey argue on social media on who is sexier, between Amber rose and Kim K. When we are tired and bored we heap insults and curses on our dear country; that nothing works here, with picture proof from our last visit to Dubai and America.

See Burkinafaso people na! Making real change where it matters! And am here on social media calling for a revolution! Revolution that I don’t have the liver to go outside and partake in! Common fuel subsidy demonstration I no fit attend.

Shey Gani of blessed memory has gone for good! All I have left is my john in my hand forming metrosexual male withe no balls to effect real change!

See my life!