Features

BN Cuisine with Chef Alex: Sweet Potato and Plantain Frittata

Chef Alex - picI arrived in Lagos a few days ago and I’ve felt very welcome, thanks for all the support and kindness. Eko o ni baje! (with phoné ☺)

I’ve been itching to cook with authentic Nigerian ingredients and flavours, and so I haven’t rested much since my arrival. I opened up my fridge this morning and found a big bowl of egg whites from yesterday’s baking extravaganza, and a light bulb clicked on in my head – make a frittata for breakfast.

So…here goes…

You will Need (for 3 servings):
• Egg whites from 10-12 eggs
• ½ large or 1 small plantain
• 1 medium sweet potato
• One Romano Pepper (tatashe)
• ½ onion
Vegetable oil, salt and sweet paprika to taste1

How To

Slice up the tatashe and onion. Chop the plantain into large dice and the sweet potato into smaller dice. 2

Place a large frying pan (choose one with a lid) on high heat with about a tablespoon of oil; add the onion, plantain and sweet potato when it heats up. Fry for 3-5 minutes, stirring quite often.

Turn down the heat to medium; add the tatashe and fry for another 7-10 minutes.3

Turn the heat down to very low, pour in the egg whites, sprinkle salt and sweet paprika to taste and cover the pan. 4

Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the whites appear cooked. 5

There it is! Quick, easy and yummy – I recommend this recipe for readers on the go early in the morning or on an early lunch break from work. It pairs very well with whole-wheat toast or a savoury breakfast scone, but is a meal unto itself for lighter eaters.

I always welcome questions about food and life in general so if you see me, don’t hesistate to strike up a conversation. If you’re shy (hehe) then use this forum, post a comment or ask a question.

Until next time, remember to cook with class, and serve with style.

Always yours truly,
Chef Alex

Alex Oke is a Nigerian chef who’s patently passionate about bread, pastry and confections. He trained in classical/contemporary French cuisine at the Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts in Canada, and currently lives and works in Lagos, Nigeria. Follow his personal and culinary adventures on Instagram @alexcooksfood, where he currently photoblogs.

1. Suzzy

April 17, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Definetly trying this over the weekend..

2. Speak Out

April 17, 2015 at 4:31 pm

This looks really yummy and will probably not break my fitfam diet.. I’ll probably give it a try. Is it fine to use an oil spray, which will minimise the oil, instead of the full tablespoon of oil? Want to cut down the calories from oil. Thanks.

• Alex

April 17, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Absolutely shouldn’t be a problem if you’re counting calories. Try to use a non-stick pan though.

• Anon

April 17, 2015 at 11:48 pm

I think i found my soulmate! 😉 I freaking love all your recipes they are so easy to make and are healthy choices. Thank you so much for sharing. I already tried your Citrus Habanero Chicken my friends loved it when i made…. Definitely making this for breakfast tomorrow. Xo

3. olajumoke

April 17, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Def trying this!

4. TA

April 17, 2015 at 4:32 pm

Thank you Chef Alex. This is very easy to make and the ingredients are commonplace too. Now I know what am having for breakfast tomorrow, complete with a cold glass of Zobo. 🙂

5. pinkie

April 17, 2015 at 4:33 pm

orishirish! did that plantain get cooked at all? calories mhen!! i’ll pass

• Speak Out

April 17, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Since you decided to pass, why did you bother to drop a comment?

• D

April 17, 2015 at 6:27 pm

What calories are you counting??? So you take in calories with every food you eat. now your body needs does calories to actually function, you need calories i.e energy, to think, (your brain,) to breathe and everything. So if you are saying eating plaintain in it’s natural state (according to you it is not cooked right?) is too much calories then you can also cut out bananas from your food. People just try to be forming one fake fitness !!!! Yes plaintains do have more starch then bananas but deep frying it just makes it worse and infact we all know the natural the better, i.e more nutrients for the most part when it comes to plants. or is it the sweet potatoes? which are actually known to be good for you, and you are actually advised to add a lil bit of fat to get the full benefit of the beta-carotene in your sweet potatoes. Or is it the white part of the eggs he used that has “too much calories” forgetting that he completely eliminated the yolk which contains cholesterol. So please if you have nothing constructive to say…say nothing at all…or better yet go read up what is actually healthy….on a personal note i am trying this just switching out the veggie oil for Olive oil.

• D

April 17, 2015 at 6:28 pm

****those calories******

• FemmeFatale

May 5, 2015 at 2:09 am

Can we not be trolls today? It’s possible to reply without being either rude, sarcastic or altogether unpleasant. You made some intelligent points in your write up, if only you got rid of the bile!

Cheers

6. ene

April 17, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Definitely tryn this 2nite!

7. Fiona

April 17, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Looks good..both food and chef!! 🙂 Keep the recipes coming, i definitely need to take it up a notch when it comes to my culinary skills as it relates to Nigerian food.. Hmmm so you said we should ask you any question: So do you use your culinary skills to woo women?

• Alex

April 17, 2015 at 5:50 pm

With great power comes great responsibility. 😉

8. bruno

April 17, 2015 at 5:10 pm

show us your abs (khloe kardashian voice)

• Alex

April 17, 2015 at 5:55 pm

In the French restaurant. Hurry up with my damn croissants! (kanye west voice)

• Person

April 18, 2015 at 5:17 am

Instagram is your BF, Bruno 😉

9. bibie

April 17, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Would def wanna try this

10. Truth Teller

April 17, 2015 at 5:39 pm

Hey Alex! Would love to try this. Wondering if one could use less egg whites or whole eggs instead.

• Alex

April 17, 2015 at 5:51 pm

Sure thing, it would be an omelette then (richer and fattier), and not a frittata.

11. Yummy

April 17, 2015 at 5:44 pm

Can i eat the chef instead?

• tunmi

April 17, 2015 at 7:09 pm

I feel so bad for objectifying the chef. I acknowledge my privilege. He is just gorgeous. But yeah this looks good. My godmother makes some similar but the eggs are separate.

12. Kemi

April 17, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Please what is sweet paprika? How does it taste and where can I get it? Thanks

13. vivianmor

April 17, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Pls wat is sweet paprika? And hw do i get it?

14. Alex

April 17, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Sweet Paprika is perhaps the mildest member of the paprika spice group. Regular (or smoked) paprika will do if you can’t get your hands on the sweet version.

• Hungry Girl

April 21, 2015 at 11:17 am

Any alternative to the paprika or sweet paprika?

15. Jojo

April 17, 2015 at 7:44 pm

A new twist to the fritata. I’ll try this

16. Paypay

April 17, 2015 at 7:46 pm

I made something like this out of creativity didn’t know it’s called Frittata. Pls more recipes. Thank you brother

• Alex

April 19, 2015 at 8:44 am

Home cooks make the world go round. Glad to hear this

17. Iniabasi

April 17, 2015 at 7:56 pm

This is really nice Alex. Would definitely give this a try soon. Welcome to Naija… Wish I was near enough to try these out… Cheers

18. Ivy

April 17, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Hi Alex,
    Can i be your taster? You don’t have to pay me at all just lemme always taste the food you cook……pretty please.

• Alex

April 19, 2015 at 8:43 am

Cute try

19. Kunmi

April 17, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Chef Alex, this student thanks you 🙂

20. Duchess Maria

April 17, 2015 at 8:05 pm

I aint even pay attention to the recipe, all I saw was Chef Alex. Bruhh, do you come with a recipe? *winks*

LMAO.

• Carliforniabawlar

April 18, 2015 at 10:15 am

As in eh!! Attention kwa?? At this rate, one day Chef Alex go tell us to cook sh*t and we go cook am oh! choi! ^_^

• Alex

April 19, 2015 at 8:42 am

Is this where I shamelessly plug my upcoming cookbook? *wink

21. DocDeola

April 17, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Do you love Pierre Hermes? Do you think it is morally reprehensible to give up saving lives to feast in gluttony or do you think feeding people sugar at some superior level helps their soul? You did say ask questions! Corden Bleu or Le Notre or New York Institute of Culinary Arts?

22. @edDREAMZ

April 17, 2015 at 8:56 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Niceone man and more grease to ur elbow….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• Morolake

April 20, 2015 at 12:26 pm

edDreamz, we were corrected last week about this “more grease to your elbow” …Hahhahaaha. Did you not learn a thing or two from that post? LOL.

23. faith

April 17, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Chef Alex, why is your food always so small?

24. UmmiX

April 17, 2015 at 11:32 pm

What vegetable combo (available in Naija) would you recommend I use for a vegetable frittata?

• Alex

April 18, 2015 at 11:06 am

Great question! I’d recommend leeks, peppers and parsley – with a topping of tomato slices for aesthetics after the eggs have been poured in, cover and cook! If you’re not averse to cheese, throw on some slices of mozzarella or bocconcini before cooking. Enjoy.

25. jane

April 17, 2015 at 11:44 pm

thanks for the tutorial, i think i might have found a new recipe to keep my man haappy

26. Kay

April 18, 2015 at 3:47 am

U do well Chef Alex, will sure try it

27. TA

April 18, 2015 at 6:50 am

@ Bruno.you know what they say ‘never trust a skinny cook

28. Ginika

April 18, 2015 at 7:09 pm

Interactive writers/bloggers are the best!!!

This is just fantastic, I will be trying this but with a few tweeks, plantain isnt readily available so I will try use plantain’s distant cousin butternut (dont ask me how they are related, they are both sweet and mushy alternatives).

Going along with the idea of the vegetarian optiion, I have always wondered if we could get healthier menus in Nigeria, using Nigerian ingredients or vegetarian ‘inventions’ using our Nigerian ingredients? But Alex, you seem like a confectioner extraordinaire, would that be your forte?

• Alex

April 19, 2015 at 8:38 am

Thanks Ginika, where are you? Europe or North America if plantains aren’t readily available I suppose. Butternut Squash would be very nice with this – a recommendation, dice the squash and roast for about 15-20 minutes at 400F (200C) with olive oil and kosher salt/cayenne pepper before you include in the frittata, thank me later :D. Bread and pastry are my forté but I’m constantly learning more about chocolate and confections.

• Ginika

April 19, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Hi Chef

Thanking you now! Forget later. Well to get plantain I need to go to the Nigerian market in my area 😀

Got it, hoping to see more posts from you.

Bests
      G

29. warizdiz

April 18, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Hanhan! 10-12 eggs, dat na dozen naaa for one meal? But, but Mama dem talk say too much egg can fit make pikin steal! All you here living in Banana Island of Agege pls. be trying dis in ur dream.

30. shantel

April 20, 2015 at 2:35 pm

thank you chief alex….please keep the easy recipes rolling…will definitely try this. it luks yummy.

31. Lola

May 18, 2015 at 2:57 am

This recipe is good .well done chef!

32. whocares

June 3, 2015 at 11:46 am

I cant believe I am only just seeing this. Well, hello, how you doing? lool. Oh I have wanted a sweet potato recipe for a long time that was not baked, and was easy on the cheese. Most fritata recipes I also saw required owning a skillet, what does the skillet do for fritta anyways that a frying pan cannot do? I did not want to have to buy a skillet (even though I saw this skillet cookie recipe and I am going to have to buy one now just for the cookie and the general opportunities it opens food wise. I did not know you could do so much with a skillet. I digress) Thank you for this. It looks easy enough, and wont break the bank! I dont think I want the plaintain though. It might be too sweet? something savory instead? I might chop some chorizo in it? No?

33. kcz

July 22, 2015 at 1:30 pm

so trying this, pls wts d alternative to paprika

34. sera