Scoop

Ali Baba disagrees with ‘Don’t Judge Someone Just Because They Sin Differently than You’ – Here’s Why!

Ali Baba 1Ace comedian Ali Baba reposted a quote that says ‘Don’t judge someone just because they sin differently that you’ and he clearly disagrees.

He explained why he disagrees in the following words:

Not really. If I lied that I didn’t have money to borrow you, because I have need for the money or know you will not pay me back the money… It could count as sin because God says let your yes be yes and your no no. So I can’t shout when 20billion is missing? Haba na!!!! Or let’s say a lady and a guy tried to but count not help themselves (circumstances beyond control or one thing led to another, as they say) does that mean if I see a rapist I can’t say “look at that monster!”? Abegi!!!! Or because i don’t pay tithe I can’t say “a terrorist who killed over 3000 people should be killed?”… Sin get degree oooo… Because looking at a babe and swallowing saliva, could be seen as sin since Jesus said so. But trust me Jesus know say e no reach to take 250m to buy 2 bullet proof BMW!!!

What do you think?

1. NIRA

June 10, 2015 at 1:59 pm

I used to be an advocate of ‘don’t judge me cos your sin is different from mine’. However, I also have to agree with Alibaba’s point of view.

2. Ochouba Chidinma

June 10, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Abeg Sin no get degree oooo….Sin Is Sin no matter how you spell it!!

• NIRA

June 10, 2015 at 2:37 pm

There are degrees, even offences are punished according to their degrees. Now, I’m not bringing the Bible and what is says into this discussion as I’m aware that there are ppl with diverse religious beliefs on this blog and in the world. Stealing a pen and killing a human being are both offences, but are they of the same degree??? That’s what I believe the funny man is talking about.

• url

June 10, 2015 at 5:57 pm

sins have degree, always read the bible to understand and apply in context across the board.
      Matthew 22:36-40
      Jesus replied: “’Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.

3. Reverse

June 10, 2015 at 2:07 pm

People like Alibaba always looking for speck to remove from others eyes, while carrying a huge log about… odiegwu

4. olajumoke

June 10, 2015 at 2:16 pm

Errm… i really dont understand this oo.

5. prince

June 10, 2015 at 2:35 pm

this one hard small o.

6. Dee

June 10, 2015 at 2:39 pm

A sin is a sin, no degree…its the consequences that are different…

7. Tosan

June 10, 2015 at 2:58 pm

There are two primary views of this.

1. There are different levels of sin
    2. All sin is equal in God’s eyes.
    Unfortunately, they’re both pretty sound beliefs.

1. There are different levels of sin

There are many verses to back up this belief that all sins are not equal. Here are some of them:

Matthew 12:31-32 (NIV)

31 And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come
    1 Cor. 6:18 (NIV)

Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body.
    John 19:11 (NIV)

Jesus answered, “You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin.”
    Matthew 7:3 (NIV)

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?”

2. All sin is equal in God’s eyes.

The idea that “all sins are equal in God’s eyes” comes from the idea that any one sin will lead to death. If we commit a single sin, we are as guilty (in God’s eyes) as if we had committed the worst sin–regardless of which sin we committed.

It’s based on the idea that God’s holiness is so extreme, that even one transgression is greater than he can accept. This idea is supported with two key verses

James 2:10 (NIV)

For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.
    Romans 3:23 (NIV)

for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
    The argument goes, therefore, that if even the smallest sin prevents us from attaining the perfection that God calls us to seek, then that one single sin is as great as the worst sin.

Summary

We can reconcile these two seemingly opposing viewpoints: we can clearly see that some sins are greater than others, but that any sin will prevent us from going to heaven without the saving grace and sacrifice of Jesus.

Essentially, any one sin is sufficient to keep us from God, but all sins are not the same.

• url

June 10, 2015 at 5:54 pm

you are absolutely correct, people misinterpret the bible a lot. the Bible says and I’m paraphrasing here “Judge with righteous Judgment, for whatever measure you use shall be used for you as well..” A drunk knows it is wrong to do so, when he sees others do it, he can correct them but he is an hypocrite, the only time he is justified in doing so his when he decided to continue to stay sober from thereon.

8. Jamce

June 10, 2015 at 4:00 pm

@Tosan, kudos for this wonderful analysis. This is the point a lot of people are missing. Pointing out an error does not mean we are free from errors and thus being judgmental. We are to point out each other’s errors and to take correction. If pointing out errors is judgmental, on what basis do we as Christians (who are not also free from sin) preach the gospel to others?

Don’t judge in the Bible means that we should not condemn others because we do not have the power to judge and condemn anyone. But we are to watch out and correct each other. However, a lot of people don’t want their errors pointed out because they do not want to be corrected. So they revert to the psychology of “persecution of truth” by claiming that the person pointing out their error is being “judgmental”.

• Chynwa

June 10, 2015 at 5:20 pm

God must bless you Jamce and Tosan… the same question I asked last week and I still stand on the fact that because we correct people when they err does not mean that we are without sin. We shouldn’t all hide in the fear of not letting people call us ‘judgemental’ and allow moral decadence in our society.

9. bruno FIERCE

June 10, 2015 at 4:23 pm

what is sin? a silly man made concept invented to make people feel guilty about their actions.
    (don’t mistake “sin” with crime, they are different)

nobody should be punished for committing that thing called “sin”

trivia-the first person to commit “sin” in the bible is a woman. sexism at its finest

10. stephanie

June 10, 2015 at 5:13 pm

alibaba shut up …i am tired of you posting rubbish and seeing it everywhere ,no one cares for your opinion deal with it

11. Mostest

June 10, 2015 at 5:27 pm

So this sexual immorality is a sin against your own body? Hmmm, what is the weight of this sin and is less severe than doing a sex change?

Sin is sin, at least against your fellow man. The hired killer who have his life to Christ last Sunday is in a much better predicament than you who did weekend with bae

• url

June 10, 2015 at 5:49 pm

if you don’t understand what Tosan wrote up there, too bad. it is that easy to understand.

12. Papacy

June 10, 2015 at 11:15 pm

There are degrees of sins. However all sins have the same consequence; cutting us off from God.
    However, for the sake of discussion, these degrees sometimes are formed by our individual “thresholds” of sin. When I was younger, the worst sin I could commit was tell a lie. Stealing was absolutely mortal for me…still is. As I grew older my threshold changed, increasing in some for instance, from kissing girls which was seen as “bad things” to well sex. Now, I think premarital sex is my “threshold” (even hard to consider it sin these days sef). So if the good ol’ rump with bae is what I consider my threshold, and someone takes it a bit higher by say…having sex with multiple girls. I can say, this guy is just a dog. Why? Cos he has sex with every girl n I’m holding body with one? I can say hateful words that hurt or literally kill my partner and then gasp when another man hits his wife? It’s d same abuse but my threshold is words, the other man’s, fists. So my threshold for sin maybe someone else’s starting point and so on which is what leads to all that ‘judging’ we complain about..does this make sense? I hope I made sense, lol.

13. Aj

June 11, 2015 at 3:53 am

Well said Tosan!! #Wisdom

14. M&

June 11, 2015 at 11:17 am

I’m actually starting to get tired of all the people that use ‘don’t judge’ as an excuse to ‘allow’ any and every, like anything goes…people can do whatever they like within the society, forgetting that society cannot last long like that, there have to be some rules, standards, boundaries, written or unwritten for people to co-exist together. if not we’re heading to anarchy. so anyway the word ‘judge’ has been weighing on my mind lately and here’s my conclusion. we start with the definitions of the verb….” to form an opinion about (something or someone) after careful consideration”, “to regard (someone or something) as either good or bad”, and legally “to pass sentence on; condemn”, “to make an official decision about “. I think most people when they make comments or cry out about good or bad, right or wrong are actually referring to the former definition i.e. having an opinion (the ‘after careful consideration’ may be lacking though) which for different individuals would be based on different things, some their convictions, some their faith or lack of it, some on their experiences, upbringing, etc; and not the latter i.e. to pass a sentence or condemn. So while we live in today’s world of individual expression, we must not forget that we still do not live in isolation and most of our actions would affect the next person, just like in the old society. And while we live in today’s ‘permissive’ world, the ‘voice of reason’ must not be completely and totally drowned out. Everything is cyclic, it goes around and comes around.

15. Ummm...

June 12, 2015 at 1:40 am

“Not really. If I lied that I didn’t have money to borrow you,…” Ok Ali Baba, you don’t borrow people money!!! You LEND them money . If YOU were getting the money, then YOU borrowed! Get it right