Features

Ife Odedere: For Amina – A Call to Save a Life

I can’t say I know Dr. Amina Sobodu very well and I can’t say I don’t know her at all. We were classmates at the College of Medicine and for most part, she was very quiet. Every now and then, we said Hi to each other and got to talk about a few things. She was the quiet, easy-going type. You wouldn’t find her in the trouble spots.

Internship separated us, as is always the case. Sometime last year I ran into her on my way to Church. She was now married. I said hello to her and her husband and continued my journey. She looked as elegant as she always looked. So you can imagine my surprise when I saw a BBM Broadcast saying that she needed an urgent kidney transplant. I clicked the link just to be sure and there she was, her profile picture staring at me. I didn’t know when ‘Oh no!’ slipped out of my lips. Up till that point, I never knew she had Sickle Cell Disease. We had been in the same compound for about six years and had spoken a lot of times but there was no clue that she was going through so much. It shows the kind of person she is. A person of immense inner and outer strength despite the condition she was in. I can’t remember seeing her downcast.

Going through medical school was tough in itself and was enough to make many people re-contemplate life. Yet, here was a lady who braved the odds and despite her health condition, realized her dream of being a dentist, bringing smiles to hundreds of people. And oh, I forgot to mention: if medical school was hell then dental school was its headquarters.

It is saddening that after staying strong for 26 years, Amina now needs a new kidney to live a normal life. Tosin, a colleague, who started the awareness campaign said so far about 2 million out of the 5 million required had been raised. {Click here if you missed it on BellaNaija}. Judging by the responses on the post compared to those of other columns posted that day, it is apparent that the intended response may not have been achieved.

One reason many people don’t donate for causes as this is because they think their donation won’t make an impact. How much is N1000 when we’re talking of N5 million? But the reverse is true. Every N1000 counts! The N1.8 million raised so far was donated by people who dropped $5 (N1000) here and $10 (N2000) there. Truly no amount is too small. Every money donated counts. Imagine if 1000 people donated N1000 each, then we’ll have N1 million already.

Am I saying all this because I know her? Maybe.

When I asked how she was doing, she said she was much better than when she was admitted to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), which coincidentally is where she is doing her internship. But the truth is she still needs a new kidney and fast.

I have no more to write. If words were money, maybe I’ll just keep writing but the reality is it is not. So I will just hope that somehow, some way, we will be able to help Amina raise these funds.

To donate, use any of the following channels:

1. Direct Bank Donation: GTBank:  Amina Elizabeth Ogbachi  0014397186
  2. Mobile Money Transfer (GTB Users): *737*1*amount*0014397186#
  3. GoFundMe: http://www.gofundme.com/g72ebahg
  4. You can also share this post with as many of your friends as you can.

She has dedicated her life to putting smiles on people’s faces. Let’s hope we can do the same for her.

Ifeoluwapo is a Brand Strategist and the Author of Musings of an Analytical Mind. He loves to challenge conventional thinking and is a firm believer in the coexistence of aesthetics and quality. Connect with him - @ifeodedere

1. Que?

September 4, 2015 at 5:15 pm

This is confusing…one minute she was in med school another minute dental school; which one? Cos dentists are definitely not medical doctors.

why is she wearing a stethoscope if shes a dentist?

Sorry but i hate when nigerians do this, they mash up dentistry and medicine like its the same when its clearly not, plus the writer even went ahead to say that dental school is harder than med school?! Nne are u serious?? Speak for which u know cos theres a huge diff between learning about teeth and the complete physiology of ur whole body.

Good luck to Amina and i wish her well.

• Manny

September 4, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Que, you are mighty petty! And may I add that you are mighty ignorant too. I’m not a dentist but I do know that dentistry is more than just learning about teeth. Do you think the teeth act alone in the body? Eg, the state of your teeth impacts your heart health. And you do learn about the complete physiology, anatomy and biochemistry of the body as a dental student.
      The mashing up in Nigeria is because in most colleges of Medicine, the first 3 years are pretty much the same for dental and medical students.
      As for the stethoscope pic I have no idea why but FYI dentists do have to check blood pressure and whatnots during some procedures.
      You didn’t need to make your ignorant observations on this post silly.

• Dr. Zee

September 4, 2015 at 6:48 pm

I’m a fully qualified dentist and currently in my 3rd year in medical school (dual training to qualify as a maxillofacial surgeon). Dentistry is a branch of medicine -we are doctors – use the title ‘doctor’. In uni, we have joint lectures with medics.
      Dentistry is a specialty – not just about teeth but the head and neck region – Just like you have gynaecolocists, neurosurgeons – specialisms in medicine – so is dentistry.

It irks me that people don’t give dentists the respect they deserve and even go as far to say they are not ‘real doctors’. My dear Dentistry is also a 5 year course like medicine (at least here in the UK it is) plus 2 years post -grad training . Having been on both sides, dentistry and medicine, I can attest that yes, medicine is difficult but dentistry is the more difficult one – as every teeny tiny detail you must know, even the exam structures are way more difficult. And FYI – with dentistry on the course, we still learn about the whole human physiology – due you think teeth float in your mouth – do you not know how many hundreds of nerves are in your head and neck region – all these,dentists have to learn about and understand.

Do you know why? One little mistake by your dentist given you a local anaesthetic could leave you with facial paralysis, nerve damage, loss of taste sensations and a whole lot of other things. Have you heard of serious, life threatening conditions like – oral carcinomas, ameloblastomas, Ludwig’s Angina – these things dentists deal with and diagnose. So before you sit on your non- medical high chair and thrown stones at the ‘fake doctors’ please take a minute to understand what dentistry really is about – its not just teeth. If it was you wouldn’t need 5 years, plus 1-2 years post qualification training to qualify.

Anyhow, back to the matter, this is a sad story and wishing Dr Amina restoration of health. Please donate guys – as the post says – every little helps. A lot of ‘littles’ add up to a lot!!!

• brown-ice

September 4, 2015 at 7:19 pm

May your enemies be confused the same way you’ve confused amina with your great response

• brown-ice

September 4, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Sorry, I meant @que

• Que?

September 5, 2015 at 2:18 am

U are a dentist…..doctor in dentistry and not a medical doctor. Same way some one with a PharmD degree is a doctor in pharmacy and not a medical doctor…. Same way a podiatrist is not a medical doctor. U are a doctor in ur field not a medical physician.

It seems like the school system is very different in nigeria because here in america, dentists go to dental school and have DDS after their name…which is why i was confused as heck that the writer said shes in medical school but then said she was a dentist abd that dental school is harder than med school. My sister went to dental school and i know that it wasnt anywhere as stressful as med school….it doesnt even make sense to compare because dentists are learning physiology as it pertains to diseases related to the teeth while medical doctors are learning physio as it pertains to thousands of diseases out there. As a matter of fact ure pretty much just limited to teeth infections/disorders and its complications becausr if a patient has thrush, oral malignancy or any oral/esophageal/neck disorder, they sure arent getting a referral to a dentist….they will be referred to a medical specialist.

Specialties like GYn, endocrinology, GI etc are specialties in medicine and they went to medical school and have their MDs.
      I see its a bit diff in nigeria but anywhere else in the west, dentists go to dental school, just like podiatrists go to podiatry school and pharmacists(with pharmD) go to pharmacy school and at the end they are doctors in their respective fields…..but not MDs.

• Mzlyrics

September 4, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Are you serious right now? Like seriously!!! Gosh! i do not even have anymore words for you! Pschewwww

• anonymous

September 4, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Amina is wearing a stethoscope because dental students attend the same classes as medical students up until 500 level when they separate. Which means that they go through the same clinical classes medical students do and even treat patients so as a dental student you need a stethoscope to treat patients. True she is a dentist and not a medical doctor but her certificate regards her as Dr Amina therefore she’s a doctor. Plus if you ever went to medical school you would know that dental students go through hell. Ife is a medical doctor and knows that dental students don’t find it funny at all. Dental students spend the same 6 years as medical students plus one year internship. Obviously you had no idea about how medical school runs. Figured you needed to be enlightened. The important fact which you are missing is she needs help and no amount is too small

• xyz

September 4, 2015 at 7:48 pm

que, ode ma ni e o

• jane

September 4, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Dentists are DOCTORS.they take d same exam as Dr’s, learn the same thing and can even switch their degree if they want wit just little extra tym in training. How do I know this? I’m a medical dr, who trained wt dentists. And just so u knw, even the nurse uses the stethoscope too. So pls take note, dentists are very much the same as medical doctors. We all have the same basic training and just differ a lil in the end.

• Que?

September 5, 2015 at 6:29 am

Ummm u must be a naija trained medical doctor then. Theres no way dental students are taking the same board exams/lisencing exams as medical students….or even the same entrance exams to get into school(med students take MCAT and dental students take DAT) or attending the same classes…..at least thats the case in the US. Thats insane. No wonder alot of nigerian doctors have a hard time passing the board exams in order to obtain residency in the US. What kind of system is that? Such a joke. Why are dental students taking classes with med students?? Where they do that at? Kai.

• ATL's finest

September 4, 2015 at 11:49 pm

@ Que pls ask for forgiveness for U do not know what I’ve said or done. However, instead of worrying about her career, worry about her health issues. I guess everyone familiar with medica field have explained to U how it works so I will reserve my 2cent.. Reading is fundamental.

• Alicia

September 5, 2015 at 7:31 am

Dear Lord please help humans, we are losing it. Dear Que, I know you’re knowledgeable but you just diverted people’s attention from the aim of the article. This is so unfair. I can only imagine what Amina is going through reading these comments. Your comment is heartbreaking. There’s a time for everything… “Now” is not the time to prove your intelligence.

• Abby

September 5, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Intelligence or foolishness?

• [email protected]

September 5, 2015 at 9:17 am

Que na wa for you!!!! A person’s life is hanging on a thread and what you care about is the distinction between medicine and dentistry.
      May God help us. I have donated what I can afford, it isn’t much but if we all do, it would make a difference.

• Tari

September 5, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Shame on you BN for continually posting this persons narcissistic comments. Shame on you, BN for defining a seemingly decent post with these comments that pollute the discourse.
      When I type comments that do not suit your narrative, you censor me but here you are posting utter drivel.

• Sandra

September 5, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Ignorance is your major problem. Think before you write next time. FYI the writer is a doctor who knows what he is writing. Google is available to clarify things too.

• Adain

September 5, 2015 at 9:07 pm

you’re actually foolish for this! Gerrarahia! ??

• James

September 6, 2015 at 12:13 am

Hey don’t confuse yourself. Let me explain it. I know this girl personally. I studied Pharmacology in the same school with them. We were all medical students I majored in pharmacology, the writer in Medicine while the lady majored in dentistry. But we were all in the same medical school. for a fact we studied physiology together in the same hall when we got to 200Level at Idi araba. What Ife has written about the young lady is true. she was a reserve lady. I am shocked to be reading this news. May God save her soul. Please help her.

• Ngozi

September 6, 2015 at 5:13 am

I beg someone is desperately in need of a kidney to keep alive. The writer has shown that Dr Amina is not a lay about but someone who rises above challenges. You don’t have to understand everything even if she was fully engaged as a make up artist or event planner help am biko. She needs a kidney. Doctor or Dentist debate na waste of time. Kidney is the issue.

2. Wowbox

September 4, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Good article, World could be a better place if there are many women like her.

3. Amazed!

September 4, 2015 at 6:09 pm

I usually do not comment on BN because of so much negativity that I perceive in people’s comments. The world could use more positive energy!
    There are times when it’s not just appropriate to try to show the world how knowledgeable you are. @Que, this is one of such. This person needs help, whether or not she went to medical school or dental is really of no consequence. The last sentence of your post was all you needed if you had no other way of helping!

4. Manny

September 4, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Bellanaija please can you add a “community centre” tab to the top of your page. It would really help.

5. Golden girl

September 4, 2015 at 6:43 pm

God bless u @Amazed u took the word out of my mouth. imaging d rubbish she is spewing out. may God heel u Amina

6. Amazed 2

September 4, 2015 at 6:59 pm

In this information age ppl that r ignorant on a subject r still d first to fire. @ Que, dental n medical doctors pass thru d same curriculum in med school, same class (writer mentioned it) until sometime around the 5th yr. Yes she learned d complete physiology of d whole body including clinical medicine and surgery

7. AAsh

September 4, 2015 at 6:59 pm

May GOD heal Amina and see her through this trying times.Amen

8. bezen

September 4, 2015 at 7:15 pm

In this information age ppl that r ignorant on a subject r still the first to fire. @Que, dental and medical doctors share the same curriculum, are same class(writer mentioned it) until sometime around the 5th yr (in Nigeria). She learned the complete physiology of the whole human body and clinical medicine and surgery

9. Joyful

September 4, 2015 at 7:30 pm

@Que, you may be confused about her profession but don’t be confused about her NEED. Amina needs US; I just gave my token…pls do also. Our prayers are with you Amina!

10. splendour

September 4, 2015 at 7:56 pm

@ Que, I wanna believe you are one of d “doctors” that would never get off their high horses! If not then you are just a complete ignoramus! For your info, medical school consist of the basic medical sciences, clinical sciences and the dental school, @ least for LUTH. And every one admited to either study medcine or dentistry had to go through three years of basic medical sciences before proceeding to the dental school or the clinical school (for mbbs), they are all taught to use the stethoscope and any other basic diagnosing tools! There is a reason why they both bear Doctors after graduation, and other medical courses like pharmacy and physiotherapy don’t! Get ur facts right before coming here to bash anyone! If u don’t want to donate for Amina, hold ur money and ur mouth too! Or ur fingers as ds case may be!

• Que?

September 5, 2015 at 2:26 am

They are doctors in dentistry(DDS)not medicine(MD) and yes there is such a thing as doctor in pharmacy(pharmd) actually….these are seperate from medicine and they dont have an MD degree.

• oyindee

September 5, 2015 at 8:22 am

Wa,gbe enu e soun,hanhan,just shush your mouth,everyone is trying to correct you but you won’t listen,DDS,MD,UPS,OPC it doesn’t matter what matters is Amina needs help,may God heal you Amina….

• Chioma

September 5, 2015 at 2:45 pm

With the lack of compassion you seem to have, I don’t you are ready to become a doctor… I hope you get it before you finish residency because at the end if you pass all your exams without basic human compassion you shouldn’t be treating patients and this coming from a medical doctor in the U.S

• Irritated somebody

September 5, 2015 at 2:48 pm

But u do know you might need urgent help from “doctors in psychiatry” right? I dikwa egwu! Did anybody tell u she is MD? She is BDS. Not MD, not MBBS, not even DDS ? (since u choose to make a distinction between the courses n d degrees dey obtain in diff countries). Get off ur fracking lame high horse and donate to the cause if u wish and if not, kindly stop this joke and allow others donate. Hian!

• Dr. Zee

September 5, 2015 at 6:07 pm

Que? You really are something else. To answer you’re statement above, actually oral thrush, malignancy etc are dealt with by dentists or max fax surgeons not doctors . You are clearly ignorant and do not know the facts. When patients wrongly present to doctors for these things they are told to see a dentist. Btw I’m a UK trained dentist and BDS stands for bachelor of dental surgery NOT doctor in.

Seems everyone else understands but you in you’re la-la land. No matter whether one is a dentist, doctor, PhD holder – pls give all professionals the respect they deserve because it sure wasn’t easy to get those degrees.

• Jenny

September 5, 2015 at 7:30 pm

@dr zee, i didnt want to say anything because this is not the time to discuss the issues que brought up. The DDS issue she also brought up it seems only applies to dentists in the US, as dentists elsewhere in the world like india do not necessarily have a doctorate in dentistry. BUT abeg, since when do dentists treat oral cancer? As in they administer chemo, radiotherapy and the whole bit in the case of a metastasized malignancy? Hmmmm. Ok o.

Sha i have donated my little token and wish amina a speedy recovery.

• Oloshi ni Que?

September 6, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Que God punish you. May God continue to confuse you in very little things as this. Oloshi rada rada. We are talking about some one needing help. You use your stinking smelly hand to type rubbish. Devil advocate ! Bn if you like sensor this.

11. wiseone

September 4, 2015 at 8:02 pm

we have left the matter at hand to discuss irrelevant issues. You we are the ones who kill each other. The question is are you donating or not. if not get of the place. When the lady lives then you can all debate about dentistry and ophthalmology. Jeez humans are unbelievable.

12. Absolutely in Shock!!!

September 4, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Someone might lose her life to this terrible disease and what people are actually worried about on this post is the difference between medical doctors and dentists, what amount of respect should be accorded to who…. etc. Almost loosing the main essence of the post, which is to help save a life.
    HELP SAVE HER LIFE!!!
    If you can donate, please do so, if you can’t, then say a prayer for her… But by all means, please don’t derail the essence of the post by talking about things that are so insignificant as compared to her life.
    Do that on another post.
    I can’t with the ridiculousness, I just can’t. SMH

• Manny

September 4, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Calm down. People did donate. I did so on gofundme and since this post went up, several people have donated TODAY. All of the comments were in response to Que.

13. Tinuke

September 4, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Please guys , ignore Que and let’s focus on helping this amazing young woman. As someone who has sickle cell herself I can tell you she must be really strong to get through all the hard work required to be a dentist with her health. Please let’s all give our widow’s mite and if anyone has any connections to any NGOs or “big Ogas” that can help that will be wonderful. God will surely heal her , let us allow him to use us for this miracle.

14. B

September 4, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Madam Que ,
    The post is not to determine whether dentists are doctors it’s to help a young lady get well.
    The crap you typed is so pointless and the dentists replying I have no words

15. Lala

September 4, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Just gave via GoFundme.
    I encourage others to do same.

16. Paprika

September 4, 2015 at 9:51 pm

Dentists are real doctors whether you approve or not.They wear stethoscopes because they perform major surgery in the mouth and other facial structures and it is imperative to check blood pressure and pulses before and during treatment. Also the money in their bank account is very real too.Many ignorant people in this world.See how the idiot took the whole shine away from the matter at hand and Amina might now get the help she needs,Everyone please don’t be ignorant like that idiot and help Amina. Many reasons why Nigeria will never move forward. BN also please don’t be approving such comments.

• Que?

September 5, 2015 at 6:33 am

Again, they are doctors in dentistry not medical doctors.

• Kay

September 5, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Please shut up!! Its enough, you should have the decency and intellect to know when to keep your mouth shut.

17. AlabamaUncut Blog

September 4, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Que don enter executive one chance. Pls, make una forgive am and lets donate. PIAM!

#MosunmolaAbuduFutureHusband

18. foluke

September 4, 2015 at 11:04 pm

i just donated. God please heal her. Guys please donate to save a life.
    @ que, my husband is a dentist, a senior registrar at one of the teaching hospitals in the country and i can tell you for sure that dentistry is no joke. as others have said, its just ignorance for you to think all they deal with is teeth. please get good information before you just say things you are not sure of.

19. Asake

September 5, 2015 at 1:47 am

Forget whether she is a GP or a dentist.
    Forget whether you know her or not – btw, i dont .
    All you need to know is that she is human and she needs a new kidney.
    Get your phone, get your token, log in to your internet banking, or walk into a GTB branch or donate via gofundme ( whatever works for you) and donate.
    Tell a friend, tweet, broadcast – just assist with get as much money as possible to enable her get a new kidney.

20. framy

September 5, 2015 at 7:50 am

Wat’s all dese fuss abt? Pls, Amina needs our help n not sumone 2distinguish btw dentistry n medicine. Help her if u can n shift if u cnt. Sumday, u cld write an article 2lecture us on d difference. Speedy recovery Amina… God bless y’all

21. Pep

September 5, 2015 at 9:47 am

@ Que, are u freaking kidding me? Dentists are not doctors, whoa! . FOH. You are so ignorant. Who said PharmD are doctors ? When you have a pharmD, that means you have a doctorate degree in pharmacy. The chic needs help and you are talking about degrees. Mehn you look stupid here abeg shift.

• Nene

September 5, 2015 at 7:36 pm

I have a pharmD degree and i am a doctor. What are u on about?! Doctor doesnt only apply to medical doctors abeg. Phd holders are doctors, just like denstists are doctors and pharmds are doctors. U just said ur self that pharmd degree means doctor in pharmacy yet they are not doctors? What then does the doctorate stand for?

22. sussy

September 5, 2015 at 10:51 am

I was going to say this does not sound like the “Que” that comments here till I saw the “Que?”,go figure. Pls let’s all donate to Amina’s cause.

23. chikoadi

September 5, 2015 at 10:55 am

lol, u r so funny n showing ur ignorance. check out high ranking ivy dental schools in US, both dental n medical students have classes together for d first 2yrs. yeah am a dentist, dental school was hell I would have needed 50% less energy to do medicine

24. Ephi

September 5, 2015 at 11:59 am

And this is how Que has ended up derailing this thread concerning a cry for help!! That’s just plain callous and selfish 🙁

25. Ephi

September 5, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Btw Ifeoluwapo, has she found a donor yet? Is the money being sourced for the operation?
    Would be great to have some more details.

26. TAYLOR SWIFT

September 5, 2015 at 1:22 pm

pharmD, Doctors of optometry, medical doctors, dental doctorss all na doctors. doctorate degree phD is totally different and higher than all these bikonu.! meanwhile Amina needs our help

• Nene

September 5, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Lol! Yea sure. So doctorate in english or anthropology is higher than all these. All of u should keep ranking. It seems people dont know that each field in life from theology o, basket making o, journalism o…all have their own doctorate degree abi?

27. molarah

September 5, 2015 at 8:35 pm

I’m just weak right here. A post that is a clarion call to donate to save a human being’s life, and the first 40-something comments are petty arguments concerning a very insignificant detail on the post? This right here, is the problem with today’s world.

Please BN commenters, let’s learn to not fuel the fodder of stupidity by providing a response to a senseless comment. If someone makes a silly comment, ignore it and move down to make your own comment. You just make the comment more important by continuously responding to it, and by doing so, you end up derailing others from the real essence of the post.

Ifeoluwapo, thanks for bringing this once again to our attention. I will do what I can financially, and pray for the best. Please keep us posted on the progress of the fundraising and the outcome.

28. Adain

September 5, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Comment directed @que

29. Bowl

September 5, 2015 at 9:17 pm

@ Tailor swift. Pls PHD. Does not in anyway compare to ordinary MBBS talk less of fellowship in any medical discipline. A dental and maxillofacial , is a subspecialty of surgery.they are big doctors . Doctor of pharmacy and optometry pls , are not doctors . Make una no enter one chance. Meanwhile help Amina’s cause

30. keiskwerd

September 5, 2015 at 10:40 pm

Please shut up……this is an appeal…what you r doing is heartbreaking and distracting……or are u letting something to use u as an agent of distraction here? What points are you trying to prove? People have corrected you yet you still maintain your stand….even when it’s obvious we run different systems from your US…..do you want to change our curriculum? If so, let Bella give u another post and u stay off this one. ..How can you be the first to comment and you manage to steer 80% of people in the most obscure direction. ..do u know what it is to be in need? Please have a heart and be human……just take a time out and reflect on your life

31. tee

September 7, 2015 at 1:02 pm

@Que don’t you think it’s very shallow and silly of you to digress form the main topic. The post is about helping a lady in need and not about your dentist/doctor argument.
    Please get off your high horse already and donate if you want to.

32. tee

September 7, 2015 at 1:13 pm

from*

33. Peaches77

September 7, 2015 at 2:58 pm

See ehn, little drops of water in deed make a mighty ocean. Your N500 or N1000 will surely go a long way, don’t underestimate it.
    I will be making my own donation now. Get well soon Amina, kidney disease is surmountable with the right medical care and knowledge. Know and believe this. Ask a lot of questions and do a lot of reading pre and post transplantation. God help you.
    I know someone who had her 3rd kidney transplant about 5 years ago and is doing very well.