News

Who Will Be Nigeria’s Next Ministers? DSS Screens Pat Utomi, Festus Odimegwu, Femi Falana & More

BellaNaija.com

MINISTERS

Who will be the nation’s next ministers? September is almost coming to an end, and Nigerians are expectant, as President Buhari promised that all ministers will be named before the end of the month.

According to Vanguard, the Department of State Service (DSS) has completed a screening process for some of the ministerial nominees.

The nominees reportedly screened are:

• Former presidential candidate, Pat Utomi
  • Femi Falana (SAN)
  • Former governor of Osun State, Olagunsoye Oyinlola
  • Ex finance commissioner in Lagos State, Wale Edun
  • Former Managing Director of Nigerian Breweries Limited, Festus Odimegwu
  • Abubakar Malami (SAN)
  • Ex Chief of Army, Lt.-Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazu (retd.)
  • Former chief executive of the Federal Inland Revenue, Ifueko Omoigui-Okaru

The report further states:

A source very close to the presidency who pleaded anonymity that the aforementioned nominees had appeared before the DSS for their screening at the weekend.

However, the nominees are yet to give any confirmation on the supposed screening which may not be far-fetched from the fact that appointments of this nature are treated cautiously in the official circle.

It was gathered that no fewer than 20 nominees had been so far screened by the DSS operatives since the exercise started.

1. truenigerian

September 14, 2015 at 8:07 am

Where is the cat of ubima?
    You better be careful what you do to me cos. Someone might do it to you. !! Songs!!

2. Bubu baby

September 14, 2015 at 8:32 am

Making sense list!

3. Gistyinka Blog

September 14, 2015 at 10:14 am

The selected people are great individuals, but for me the nomination list will be incomplete without Fola Adeola be nominated.

4. Busarni

September 14, 2015 at 10:31 am

The list is not not complete; the one i saw had Rotimi Amaechi, fashola, Wale tinubu, Femi falana, Mohammed sanusi. Bella, do your homework well. The Chicken of UBIMA must be on the l;ist…..

• Anna

September 14, 2015 at 12:38 pm

So far the names that have been released are yet to impress me. I’m guessing these people who made the list, are the ones that wrote Buhari’s test/exam/essay and passe
      The list is not not complete; the one i saw had Rotimi Amaechi, fashola, Wale tinubu, Femi falana, Mohammed sanusi. Bella, do you…d? or scored highly? Hmm I’m guessing the likes of Amaechi got exposé.

And 40 names? Thought Oga said he wanted to reduce it to only 19 ministries?
      I have my own list of people (in my head) who I think should be on those list. I know Buhari would not take my advice, he has advisers for that, but they should have created a website or platform where Nigerians could suggest credible people for him to appoint. Then his team would have done background checks on the reasonable suggestions. Because the way I see it there are young technocrats who should have made that list but won’t.

• Anna

September 14, 2015 at 12:39 pm

*passed

5. nene+

September 14, 2015 at 10:57 am

Falana ok, Pat Utomi seem he knows what to do but application and enforcement I don’t know. Looks like he is more excited to jump like an excited white baby goat on a broken fence!

Odimegwu well, Falana will join the liars if he join politics. I prefer he criticism to appointment. Don’t be deceived, some activist aren’t good administrators!

6. Somto

September 14, 2015 at 11:12 am

@nene you are so right look at that Edo state governor hmmm Oshiomole. He has forgotten his hungry days in NLC who ever thought he had fat in his body before but now he is chopping too much that he has to exercise to stay in shape.

• warizdiz

September 14, 2015 at 11:51 am

Hnmm, do not be deceived o. Oshsiomole was a bad ass thief even while at the helm of affairs at the NLC. Oshio that would often instigate own arrest or no arrest at all just to make the news. Liar from the pit of hell. Indian prostitute master. OBJ knows him so well. Oshio that wanted to be Minister of Petroleum by fire by force to stop the NLC from giving OBJ’s administration trouble. Wheeling and dealing away the commonwealth of the masses. Beware of all these Nigerian activists.

This list, hnm, e get as e be.

1. Olagunsoye Oyinlola????????????????That man that could not make up his mind whether to be in PDP or APC? Even after he publicly declared for the APC he was still contesting his sack as Secretary/from the board of the PDP. Oyinlola, lacking in any moral compass. OBJ handwork if he is truly on the list.

2. Wale Edun???????????? How did he manage Lagos state funds during his tenure???? Tifnub be standing over his shoulders.

3. Utomi Pat. A lot of noise signifying nothing!!!!! Friend of the big friend to the President. He thot that Oba of Lagos’s silly comment was in jest.

4. The only credible person l see is Mrs. Ifueko Okaro-Omoigui. First class brain. Can do spirit/attitude.

Not that l expect Angels to come down from heaven to be Ministers. Although the Dullard created that impression. But, If this is what the so much anticipated list is looking like, very iteresin indeed!!!!!!! Propaganda as usual. The APC malaise.

We shall wait to see the real deal.

• Lala

September 14, 2015 at 12:46 pm

If you’re going to be critical of people, be objective. The one man who has built the most credible MBA programme in Nigeria is all talk ? (I mean Pat Utomi- Pan African University), please go and read Pat Utomi’s history.
      When I read/ see someone critical of another, I quickly read the person’s achievements and if you have not achieved 1 tenth of the person you are criticising, I tend not to take your criticism seriously.

The problem is we are an oversabi country- we think we know everything even when we don’t.

Pat Utomi for head of national planning commission or minister for trade and investment- he is an economist and management consultant. He has given scholarships to people in his area – Igbuzo in Delta State, plus he’s not a broke guy. Minister for the Niger Delta will also be plausible.

Buhari, please, square pegs in square holes. Put the right people in the right ministries and commissions that function under the presidency.

I wish my state would be liberated from the claws of PDP, Pat Utomi- in the future, come govern Delta State please. We need your sound mind- not the Uduaghan ‘s puppet siting there now.

Falana for Attorney general and minister of Justice. If we want to make comments on this blog, please let’s be objective.

This is the one place left where the Nigerian intelligentsia (home and abroad) can come read balanced comments for and against any topic. I am not saying we can’t disagree, however, when we read comments here, we want to be sure a reasonably intelligent mind wrote it- and I don’t mean first class, just sound. Nay?

• warizdiz

September 14, 2015 at 6:29 pm

@lala, being an academic is not the same thing as leading people. If you say Pat Utomi is an excellent academic, maybe. But a leader of people? I’m surprised you did not mention his time at Volkwagen. How much do you really know of this man?

To say the current Gov’ of Delta is an Uduaghan puppet is laughable. Uduaghan and Okowa???? Night and day if you must know. What do you really know??? This your statement “…The problem is we are an oversabi country- we think we know everything even when we don’t” applies to you right now.

Your comment is just so juvenile. He gives scholarship to students in Igbuzor, so, he should be Governor??? I’m actually having a good laugh. I’m glad you say “….when we read comments here, we want to be sure a reasonably intelligent mind wrote it….” becos, l was beginning to wonder at your state of mind when you typed this.. ….

Pat Utomi’s age mates sure do not come on Bella Naija. If l were his age mate, trust me, l wont be on BN. But age does not bar anyone from critiquing right? It is watery come backs like yours that tire me out on BN.

• Biker Chic

September 14, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Kaka, l was liking your comment until l got to the part where you said Pat Utomi should be gov because he gives scholarships to people in Igbuzor. Are you for real? In that case, Fred Ajudua should also be gov of Delta State. He gives mega scholarships you know.

You also lost me when you say Okowa is Uduaghan’s puppet! I beg which Delta State are you from? Certainly not the one l come from Uduaghan’s and Okowa do not see eye to eye. Left to Uduaghan’s, Okowa will not be gov.

I like Warizdiz’s comment because, it is factual and l agree with her. Anyhow, l also like some aspects of yours. I am apolitical by the way even when l know Warizdiz’s is a die hard PDP supporter l respect her comments and actually look forward to reading them though l may not agree with her all the time.

• Biker Chic

September 14, 2015 at 7:35 pm

My apology. I mean @”Lala”

• nnenne

September 14, 2015 at 12:47 pm

@Somto.. the Oshimole man even refused to declare his assets. You would think he would the first to do so, due to his self righteousness.

7. Abeeeeeee

September 14, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Amen to Ifueko!

8. Lala

September 14, 2015 at 8:17 pm

@ Bikerchic- just stating Utomi’s qualities.
    I am not saying he should be governor solely for that reason.

9. bauss

September 14, 2015 at 10:50 pm

Pretty much my first time commenting here. Not one for commenting on online forums and posts cos of people’s immaturity. However, I must say I am a bit impressed with some of the names on the list and really hope they wud by assigned to ministries where they wud be fully effective; not what we have experienced in the past where someone like the late Dora Akunyili is made communication minister, a position that didn’t represent anything about her past achievements. I still wonder why she even took that post but that’s a story for another day.
    Anyway, some of us are skeptical of Pat Utomi and I wud understand that given that we can’t really trust anyone in this country anymore since most of us are whistle blowers eg Adams Oshiomole but I really think he can perform most especially in areas of economy and commerce. I have read many articles from him and I’m very impressed how intelligent he seems.
    Let’s not judge him by the failure of volkswagen cos if u truly understand the intricacies of doing biz in such a society like naija, u wud realize it wasn’t his fault.
    Let’s just hope every credible person in that list is assigned a ministry where his or her strength is fully utilized.
    Thank you.

• nerve

September 15, 2015 at 2:13 pm

@bauss. Maturity Manager.
      Ok. It wasn’t his fault becos it was/is difficult doing biz in Naija??? Okwaya? Therefore, it wasn’t GEJ’s fault that he was not super human! Nigeria is difficult to rule???

Listen to yourself. Your first time here, you could at least have made attempts to leave a credible impression. Pls. look up the meaning of “Whistle blower” Oshiomole, whistle blower???? How???? Abi na him be the tif sef that we should be blowing whistle for.

• bauss

September 16, 2015 at 2:30 pm

My brother/sister, I didn’t come here to attack but to comment. Anyway, I maintain what I’m saying by it not being his fault because I have read most part of the development of the volkswagen saga. Also, I was being sarcastic when I called Adams a “whistle blower”. One of our problems in Nigeria is that we refuse to learn how to talk to people or treat them without trying to belittle them. I appreciate you commenting on my post and criticizing it but it will be much better if you do it maturely. I am neutral when it comes to politics in Nigeria cos I don’t believe any of the parties fronting the colors has the right intentions for the country. However, I believe Buhari can work if he really wants to and as long as he appoints the right people for the job.
      Thank you.

10. mustapha shuaibu koki

September 15, 2015 at 1:41 am

i have my own list which include my ex- governor engr. Dr. rabi’u musa kwankwaso

11. kamoru

September 29, 2015 at 11:50 am

It depend on Mr .President to choose out of them .