Features

Blue Skies, Scary Snakes & Good Food! BN Reader Hadiza Lawal Shares Details of Her Holiday to Cancun, Mexico

BellaNaija.com

IMG_9247I eat a lot, and shop a lot and it is the same with most people around the world. People hardly travel for leisure. The truth is, it is not until you break free of your surroundings that you experience the beauty of the world.

I recently got back from a short trip to Cancun, Mexico and I must say I was stunned. Through the chaos of understanding the locals speak (I do not speak Spanish) and getting them to understand my English, I lived an unforgettable experience in the short time there. My trip made me realize how important it is to get out of your comfort zone and travel the world. Even if you go somewhere just once a year, make it a habit to experience cultures and live through them.

From my recent experience, I would definitely recommend Mexico as a to go place (Cancun to be exact). A Mexican city on the border of the Caribbean Sea, Cancun is ever bursting with life and energy. It is famous for its many resorts and white sand beaches. Perfect for honeymoons, family vacations, and even spring break, the resorts in Cancun are all inclusive. This means that your hotel fees include taxes; all you can eat buffets/ restaurants and so much more, depending on where you choose to stay.

I stayed at the beach palace resort, which is approximately 30 minutes away from the airport. The resort was astonishing and the welcome was superb. Right from the entrance, you are treated like royalty. The rooms were beautiful and high tech. The balcony view of Cancun was breathtaking.

My Room
IMG_0720IMG_0747

I got into Cancun in the evening after a long flight. So on my first night there, I had a swell time relaxing in the Jacuzzi. After which, I went down to eat at the Oriental restaurant in the resort. I had a selection of things for dinner. My appetizer was spring rolls, chicken kebab and prawn tempura. For my main, I had a chicken dish (I cannot remember what it was called). Being a foodie in an all-inclusive environment, trust me to eat all that I could.

IMG_0755 IMG_0748

Day 2
Day two in Cancun was when all my fun began. I did not hesitate to start ticking things off my bucket list. The first thing to go down was parasailing. I enjoyed the breathtaking view of the little city from up in the sky. I tried to do as much as I could because holidays go by so quick and since this was such a short one, it had to be planned well. After parasailing, I went snorkeling. Snorkeling was quite an experience.

This is because I went snorkeling at the underwater museum in Cancun so as you snorkel your way through the ocean; you get a guided tour of coral reefs and underwater monuments. This was a super cool experience but also overwhelming swimming in such a large body of water. I was kind of frightened at first, because the currents were so high and I had never swam with fish before.
IMG_9125
IMG_9137IMG_0859

Day 3
On day three, I went on a guided tour to Tulum, which is about two to three hours away from Cancun depending on traffic. Tulum is an ancient Mayan city with Mayan ruins from long ago. It was amazing to learn about the history of Tulum and the people. The tour lasted about an hour, after which I had an hour and twenty-five minutes to look around. I spent this time at the beautiful beach there and then walked around the little village. I had fun drinking coconut water and carrying a SNAKE! I was really brave after screaming and negotiating for about 15 minutes.

hadiza lawal IMG_0992 IMG_1035 IMG_9168
Tulum was beautiful, but it was very hot. You need a lot of water to stay hydrated, so that you don’t get irritable quickly.
IMG_9172IMG_9209

Day 4
On day four in Cancun, I went swimming with dolphins. I did this about 40minutes away from Cancun. I was transported on a boat to my destination and back. The sea in Cancun is clear blue. The view at sea is always breathtaking. The Island where I swam with dolphins was amazing. There were all sorts of activities that ranged from the dolphin discovery, to swimming with sharks etc
IMG_9211
After swimming with the dolphins, I stayed back to eat and relax before I went back to Cancun.

IMG_1632IMG_1360

IMG_9116IMG_1358
I am definitely looking forward to revisiting or going to a similar Island. It was definitely worth the travel as I was adventurous.
Quick Tip: When you go somewhere new, or extraordinary, refrain from hitting the stores and doing things you can always do in your home Country. The point of a vacation is to live through experiences. Make use of your hotel/resort tour guides, they are there to help and guide you through unforgettable memories.

Hopefully you go to Cancun soon and have half the fun that I did. Be sure to take some sunscreen with you and sun hats. The heat in Cancun is HOT.

I am glad I could share my experience with you BN readers.
Lots of love,

Hadiza (Wovenblends)

www.wovenblends.com | @wovenblends Instagram

1. Lil

October 16, 2015 at 2:34 am

Cancun is one of the best places to go on vacay! the people are ever so welcoming.
    n.b take cash, don’t depend on your cards.

• ATL's finest

October 16, 2015 at 4:48 am

@ LIl u are so right on the cash ish.. I had to learn that one in a hard way LOL but thanks to God I still had fun. One of my BEST spring break ever! When I thought Miami did it for me, nah Cancun Mexico did.

2. bruno

October 16, 2015 at 2:52 am

what do u do for a living? how do u pay for your trips? okay oh.

• Jagaban

October 16, 2015 at 11:14 am

pls what are you trying to imply? dnt bring ur unfortunate self here o

• Hands

October 16, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Bruno, cannot stand this idiot. Your comments are forever bitter, stupid and unnecessary. Did you really have to leave a comment? Your life must be so sad and poor, that going on a vacation is a a big deal to you, that you’ll have to start imagining nonsense with your fish brain. What an ignorant fellow you are.

3. larissa

October 16, 2015 at 3:06 am

Thank you for sharing this, me and my boo will be going to Cancun in December and was not sure what to expect but now my excitement has tripled!

• Bimbi

October 17, 2015 at 1:21 am

LOL. I know youuuuu!

4. Afam

October 16, 2015 at 5:04 am

Baby sorry were d u base?

5. Afam

October 16, 2015 at 5:07 am

Baby sorry were d u base dis Afam you ar very Beutiful

• Amanda

October 16, 2015 at 9:16 am

Is this Oritsefemi? What the heck is “were d u base”

6. Yue

October 16, 2015 at 6:20 am

Woooow! Girl, You went to that Haven alone? (Damn You didn’t even hit your girl up) It’s nice, not very expensive I guess? And it is beautiful! I just can’t see myself going there alone, unless……. And, there’s a lot of peace of mind, when You don’t have to be real quick and be up and going because of how short the vacation’ll be. But then, making good use of the short time you have, like You did was something I admire..
    Again, the view is something I can’t get over with. With that kind of sand (I know that HOT sun doesn’t shine in the morning) I’ll plan my work out for a week, cut out time for writing and learning from the whole place.
    And Boy will I explore their food!! What with? My damn mouth!!

7. shady

October 16, 2015 at 7:46 am

Yay me and my hubby are both going to cancun this month. Can’t wait

8. craving travel

October 16, 2015 at 8:09 am

hi hadiza, did you travel by yourself? I crave so much to travel, but don’t know how to do it all alone as a single female.
    Ideas anyone????

• Eny

October 16, 2015 at 10:40 am

Hi Hadiza, single female does not mean putting your life on old anymore. Especially if you work hard! We all deserve a little break/me-time/getaway. I just started travelling alone and i don’t have any regrets! I’ll just share a few tips. 1. Don’t over think it: Have enough time to research thoroughly where you want to go but don’t give yourself enough time to talk yourself out of it i.e. Just do it! 2. Start small till you get comfortable: You can start with a 3-day getaway and i can assure you you can get as much fun in Ghana which is quite close by and can fit a small budget. Have fun girl and thank me later.

• B

October 16, 2015 at 11:59 am

Hi Eny, could you please give ideas for Ghana, details please!

• Eny

October 16, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Hi B, for Ghana, you can do the well known and central Accra or choose to do less known states like Takoradi which in my opinion are more luxurious. Then Accra also has options of uptown and reserved areas like Trasacco Valley, Otinshi or Beach Fronts in Greater Accra Region. Just be such to appreciate Accra’s laid back nature (there is no hurry in life) and soak up the sun. Be sure to visit Accra Arts Center (It was the best thing i did and i got something for everyone). Enjoy!

• Hi Hadiza

October 16, 2015 at 1:10 pm

sweetie dont let anyone stop you. I am used to doing things alone as a single female oh …………….. including travelling. You will find some cheap vendors that will get you all inclusive deals when you will not need to stress yourself

• Tosin

October 16, 2015 at 5:48 pm

you just go.

• Hadiza

October 16, 2015 at 8:21 pm

Hey! I didn’t go alone. I actually went with my mum and we went for a wedding. I tried to do as much in the short time that I was there. I wouldn’t mind travelling on my own though. It’ll be relaxing.

9. Bee

October 16, 2015 at 8:13 am

Definitely planning my next holiday to Cancun!! And the lady is gorgeous!

10. glow

October 16, 2015 at 8:30 am

Please may we know the average budget for a trip like this? Thanks!

• Hadiza

October 16, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Hey! Budget depends on where you stay. My mum and I stayed at an all inclusive resort and room prices were shared so it turned out cheaper. If you go with a group of friends or family, you should be alright. Just make sure you do a lot of research before you go.

11. Sadia

October 16, 2015 at 8:31 am

Yeah right wheree is the money for me to yravel with .this useless country where things have become so difficult

12. MissSilentReader

October 16, 2015 at 8:38 am

Dearest father in heaven, please provide the means for your daughter to enbark on such vacations, living vicariously through all these pictures is not enough anymore ??

• molarah

October 16, 2015 at 5:47 pm

You don’t need to live vicariously o. Sometimes these vacations look like they’d cost a lot of money to embark on, but when you check out travel vendors, you might find the rates pretty reasonable. Just put it in your plans: decide where you wanna go, and save towards it.

13. Gozie

October 16, 2015 at 8:44 am

Lovely experience yu had. Wld love to try sth like this sooner. But I wld love to know Wt budget one can work with

14. Babay

October 16, 2015 at 8:58 am

Your Quick tip is so apt. many times when we go on a vacation, we jump on the shopping wagon and we end up being tired.

15. Koffie

October 16, 2015 at 9:32 am

I love traveling but my salary does not agree with me YET. The place looks so beautiful and serene… Lord, bless the work my hands have found to do. Let me be able to afford more than Tarkwa Bay, loooool. Has anyone here been to Tarkwa Bay here in Lagos? The water in some parts of it can pass for blue. Bye!
    Is it just me or does the lady look like Isio in the very first picture? She looks amazing. Do they have like local concerts where they dance like in some Mexican movies? I love watching that and plan to dance with them when I go.

• Amaa

October 16, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Try Ghana and don’t stay in the city and take abc from Lagos it’s far cheaper that way you don’t have to pay airport transport which is expensive . Also try the coast of Cotonou they have lovely clear blue water and it’s also very cheap with 50 to 100k you can have an all inclusive package for 4nights ask your local travel agent they sometimes have all this amazing deals . I have taken to African countries recently and I am having the time of my life especially with tight budget. Also try traveling with a friend that way you split accommodation costs . Another tip is to avoid countries that are not visa free or visa on arrival for Nigerian passport holders . Sometimes looking inward is the key until you can afford a Mexican get away.

• Eny

October 16, 2015 at 3:48 pm

The Coast of Cotonou may just be my next adventure!

• Tosin

October 16, 2015 at 5:49 pm

thank you. keep thinking i’ll do this, keep putting it off.

• Hadiza

October 16, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Hey! I didn’t go to any concerts. However, I am pretty sure that they do.

16. dior

October 16, 2015 at 11:02 am

After seeing all these lovely pics trust me to go make research, this resort along cost $582 per night ehmmmm lemme go back to planning my zanzibar trip

17. sylvia

October 16, 2015 at 1:28 pm

i will go next year by God’s grace, this is so beautiful.

rosyandchic.blogspot.com

18. Femi Shine

October 16, 2015 at 2:18 pm

I started traveling alone some years back and haven’t regretted it, the task of covering for others rolls eyes esp a gf lol So far my list has exploded . Try to budget for each activity and add extra $10 that way you have a cushion effect incase things dont go as planned. Toronto ..coming, just hate the cold.

19. SVT

October 16, 2015 at 3:50 pm

HAAAAAA!!!!! I’m going to Cancun in two weeks and this just gingered my spirit. YASSSS!!!!!!! I CANT WAIT.

20. Demilade

October 16, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Ooh these pictures are so beautiful! The place sounds so fun and I like that there are many things to do.xx

21. Amaka

October 16, 2015 at 10:03 pm

Hello Craving Travel, I love to travel as a single female or not. Holla lets explore the world together!

22. desmond

October 17, 2015 at 1:55 am

enjoy yourself whenever you can, life’s good.

23. Dee-USA

October 18, 2015 at 8:38 pm

My list of solo trips so far includes Johannesburg, Budapest, Vienna and Beijing. I also never envisioned traveling alone, but have since found it to be a thrill all on its own. But make no mistakes, it can still feel lonely at times, especially after you experience something so profound/exhilarating/momentous, and realize you have no one to bask in the moment with. Case in point, after I reached the top of the Great Wall of China (at the Mutianyu location,) and wanted to hug and share this with someone. I was reminded of why I’d rather do it with someone.

Besides the company, it can save a lot traveling with someone. I took a girls trip once with friends to Barcelona that was both adventurous and economical. My current travel buddy and I have taken trips to Istanbul, Athens and Mykonos, Greece, and Bangkok. And it has saved us both tons of money sharing a room. Thankfully, we share similar interests so we don’t fight over what to do.

There’s no better advice than to say, just do it! Obviously, you’d need to plan with greater detail to make sure you don’t end up in a bind. I had one of my best times navigating Beijing by train and a private ride to the Wall. My first encounter at the subway was with a non-English speaking woman, who somehow managed to explain the train system to me. I basked, then reviled in the many moments of people asking to take pictures with me (being a black in Beijing is still a rarity,) or sometimes doing it without consent.

I digress…

In summary, taking a solo trip should be on everyone’s bucket list.

24. Mo

October 18, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Abeg who wants to go/meet up to Cancun for thanksgiving weekend? Nov 25 to SundayNov 29?
    Anyone who is interested should let me know. Would be nice to have a vacation buddy?

25. babybaby

October 19, 2015 at 4:09 pm

What are the visa requirements pls? Will a US visa suffice?

26. @babybaby

October 20, 2015 at 7:55 am

I’im not sure but it may have to be a Mexican visa. You can do a little research online about it. If you are a US citizen, you don’t need a visa

27. SVT

November 2, 2015 at 9:12 pm

I just got back from my solo trip to Mexico, It was really an adventure and I can’t wait for my next one. Read more on my blog: that9jababe.blogspot.com/