Features

Ari: Port Harcourt – Sex and the City

A couple of years ago, Port Harcourt to me was the capital of Rivers State –  a place where a few of my friends who worked in oil & gas companies got posted. I have never been to Port Harcout (or Pitakwa, as my friend lovingly refers to the place) but I have heard lots of stories in recent times that have redefined what the city is.

Almost everyone I speak with who lives in PH say it’s a city where sex is the order of the day. The first time I heard this, my response was “Lailai, Lagos and Abuja people indulge in it more”. Over the years, that theory of PH being synonymous with sex has come up a lot of times. So I got talking with my friends who live in PH.

Adeola believes PH is the worst city she has ever lived in, and trust me, she has lived in a lot of places. She works with an NGO; her work takes her to a lot of 3rd world countries. She believes STD transmission in PH is the highest in Nigeria. She also believes 80% of married men and women have sex with people other than their spouses. Being a religious person, she just cannot wrap her head around the way people engage in casual sex there.

Yemi went to visit a friend in PH. She took a cab from the airport to her friend’s house. During the ride, she told the cab man she needed to use an ATM to get some cash. The cab man thought she had no cash to pay him and told her he was cool with her not paying cash; paying in kind was also allowed. He went on to tell her he would find  a secluded place to park the car, and she could either give him a blow job or have sex with him as payment for the ride. She was dumbfounded and shocked. When she narrated the episode to me a week later, she was still in shock.

Tola has a couple of married friends who are sleeping with each other’s partners. She doesn’t know if the partners are aware of this. She also told me she knows a couple of families whose kids do not belong to the man. Paternity fraud in PH is on fleek – according to her.

Sewa was posted to PH for NYSC. During our phone conversations, she used to always talk about living the life, catching trips, travelling (without her parents and siblings knowing), you get the picture. Sewa became a runs chick; she said the married guys were willing and able to spend money on anything in skirts. She jumped at the opportunity. When she came back to Lagos after NYSC, a moving truck brought all her worldly possessions she had acquired through her PH escapades. She had lots of bags, shoes, electronics, 4 phones, clothes and money.

What makes PH different from Lagos or other cities where everyone is sleeping with everyone (joke oh). Sewa doesn’t have an explanation, she just knows it’s different there. It’s in your face, it’s not coded, no discretion.

So I wonder, is it because there’s a lot of money to throw around, because of these so called oil & gas big boys/babes? Warri is also an “oil city” but I haven’t heard such gory tales from there.

Is there something in the air in Port Harcourt, or are these people just badly behaved? Some of these people lived relatively normal lives in other states, but moving to PH brought out the beast in them. Is this phenomenon more noticeable among the married folks or single people.

Are the ladies/gigolos just out to get a quick buck? But what about those who do it just for fun and not for any material or financial gain, like the taxi driver who wanted a quickie as payment for cab fare?

Are the men doing it because they know their wives are doing it and vice versa? So many questions.

Do you live in PH or have you heard tales about PH? Please share in the comments section.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Mirmoor

I’m Ari. A thirty-something wife, mother and civil engineer. I have a B.Sc & M.Sc degree in Civil & Environmental Engineering. I’m a know-it-all; ask me anything and I’ll have an answer for you. I would love to learn how to code, swim and improve on my writing.

1. BlueEyed

October 16, 2015 at 9:17 am

Please this article is baseless, it’s in your face ? It is not coded? Excuse me…..sex in Lagos or Abuja is more coded?? Please no major city in Nigeria has it more than the other. Human beings will be human beings irrespective of geographical location, Been in places around the world and i have been pleasantly surprised. Sex and its effect on human beings span across locations.

• dee

October 16, 2015 at 10:20 am

Lol! Painment!. Everyone has different opinions sweets, and to an extent I agree with the writer. I have been to port Harcourt and saw for myself. It might be more in other places as u said and that’s also ur opinion.

• Icrossmyheart

October 16, 2015 at 12:40 pm

This article was very poor and tribalistic. So all the people judging individuals from PH are Yoruba? Yoruba people dont have sex again?

This piece was sad that even my fingers are pitying me for replying.

Taah gerrarahere.

STOP SHAMING PEOPLE OVER SEX. This religious tirade that Nigerians are in will cause another extremist group among Christians. Live and let live.

• beauty

October 16, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Shut up…

• Belema

October 16, 2015 at 2:25 pm

The article isn’t tribalistic, your reasoning and comprehension is just very poor. For goodness sakes, what the hell has this post got to do with Yoruba people?
      Did Yoruba people write the post? You’re getting too sensitive and emotional, it’s honestly affecting your thinking. If you’re frustrated or upset about this post, get a cold bottle of maltina or better still, direct your disdain at the author, instead of directing it at Yoruba people, it’s a lame approach. It makes absolutely no sense.
      By the way, I’m from Rivers State.
      This post is definitely hurtful, but downright truthful. It’s because majority are like that, that’s why some useless guys think the fewer percentage who are actually decent are as wayward as the rest.

• ATL'sfinest

October 16, 2015 at 8:41 pm

Hajajjajajjq ajlmalhaha ????????????? Oh no U didn’t ! What does got to do with it??? I can’t deal with this right now.

2. that girl

October 16, 2015 at 9:26 am

Hi, I think pH nabone kain city. The description fits it. I think its more of the people plus when you add money its a whole level of combustion. I stayed there for a while before relocating and I can say that in a week for a conservative, reserved person you have an average of 5 ‘toasters’ all of which are mainly married men.
    Sex is nothing in that city especially if the seeking party has money to throw around.it doesn’t matter if you know their wives, in fact the better sef. Its been some years since I left the city and I still get calls from the married men I met there confessing love and asking me to come for a weekend.
    Rivers state once had the highest no of people with HIV/AIDS in nigeria. Don’t know which Nigerian state currently holds the record.
    To conclude, flee fornication eh, its the only sin against the body which is not yours but the Lord’s.

3. Daygirle

October 16, 2015 at 9:29 am

I don’t live in PH but i have friends who live in the city, and it was during one of my gurl’s wedding that i experienced the sex and the city thing. After the wedding reception, a classmate decided to show us (Lagos babes) around his pitakwa city, invited his friends too. We arrive the lively hangout spot, meet his friends and got talking, as sharp lag babe i discovered the guys were just going to see the bar manager one after the other. I was like, is it that hard to pay for the drinks? I pinched my gurls and told them, mehn i think these guys are paying for rooms ohh. And true to my suspicions, they came back and started yarning dust about “how e go be now? and how to take the hangout to the next level” We all left the place shocked, so just hanging out can translate to invite? I still don’t want to believe that every married person is cheating there though its a very popular in the city. And they do it with no qualms as to who sees them.

4. Letty

October 16, 2015 at 9:37 am

I went to college in ph in the mid nineties and it was super bad. Governors and politicians always came to pick up girls in droves nightly in fact there was this bad girl who we heard some Lebanese men forced to sleep with a dog I can’t attest to the validity. Port harcourt single babes slept around like crazy. I don’t know how bad it is now it must have skyrocketed to astronomical levels. I also don’t know about married women

• amaa

October 16, 2015 at 12:20 pm

I think this article is skewed .Reason being phc is a city of how many residents again with just one major road called aba road its expansion started about 10 to 15 years ago with new towns like woji and eliozu opening up that said .The population of phc city is tiny compered to lagos and Abuja. People tend to be all up in peoples business and every one knows everyone in a city like that. Then you have the tertiary institution which is also close to the cit. A city like owerri (5higher instutution )has thesame issue with people thinking that al over the town randy men and women abound. There is more discreation in the bigger cities but that doesn’t make them any more less culpable and worse than the oil city if you are in doubt ask city people how they made so much money before the blogs took away parts of there business. So my dear ari phc might be a raunchy city and women from arround there have no inhibition in quote just like the Barbados and DR but they are no where near Abuja and lagos In my opinion.

• oversabi

October 18, 2015 at 2:50 am

Letty, e be like say you and I go school the same time for PHC. I remember this Lebanese dog story. About 90 through 92. Hmmmm. Let me just say that there is this weird hype about PHC that people bring with them. They come psyched to have illicit sex and gun for it with all they’ve got so yes, the atmosphere is charged with sexual demands and frequently males becoem irritatingly desperate to prove they got some of that PHC booty so they go into overdrive with their demands and what they are willing to relinquish in exchange. I am from PHC and one of those very tempting fine maidens. But my pant buttons are welded on and I aint sleeping around with nobody – not then and not now. THe girls who were wild and went to govt house to see Adeleye, Anthony Ukpo, sheikh shehu and flew to Aso Rock in its early days with one Asaba man’s chopper were all easterners with a few Delta and Benin babes – except for one whose shortened name is “Ere”. So Anyhoo, I am getting off before I start revealing names.

5. Blah blah

October 16, 2015 at 9:42 am

Ari Ari Ari! Ever wanting to be controversial. All these your yoruba named friends sef, Did you ask the Igbos? Or even the Ikwere people that own port-harcourt? This is how stereotypes are formed o. Silly stereotypes that do not move us forward in unity as a Nation.

• Chichi

October 16, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Abeg leave Yoruba out of this, you want to start pointless drama. I’m Igbo and I was born in PH and lived there for over a decade, this is nothing but the painful truth.
      When I left PH, I never returned. I was so happy, it was annoying being tagged as a PH girl, idiots automatically think you’re like the rest. Quite alright, Lagos, Abuja, Warri, etc it’s no different, but PH is on another level.

• Chichi

October 16, 2015 at 12:48 pm

And you do realize that most times when you write articles, you don’t give real names of friends, etc, for privacy reasons? Ofeke, smh.

• musingsofachristianchick.com

October 16, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Do you have proof to back up your claim that she used real names?

• Onaedo

October 16, 2015 at 1:24 pm

This isn’t about Yoruba’s. Please stop trying to start a pointless tribal war. I don’t get your point. My friend has sent essays to BN before, and she edited the names for privacy and all.
      Also, I am Igbo and just so you know PH isn’t an Igbo city and I lived there for about 10 years. You have Ikwerre’s, Kalabari, Ahoada and the likes. Although I’m not a fan of generalization or stereotypes, this is very accurate, even though it might come out as offensive. There’s a large amount of accuracy and truth to this post.

• beauty

October 16, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Shut your dirty mouth up…

• Ready

October 16, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Wow, ‘Beauty’, I like your own troll behavior o. Just throwing shut ups around. You would make a great parent. No need for explanations, courtesy be damned. A mere ‘shut up’ or ‘shut your dirty mouth up’ is sufficient. How beautiful.

• Koffie

October 16, 2015 at 1:49 pm

I doubt she’d be using their real names though and she should have varied the names from other regions but ehn, criticize Ari’s generalization (on a city she has never even been to), don’t make it about the tribes. This is not the day, haha.

• Blah blah

October 16, 2015 at 2:54 pm

The lot of you have comprehension issues.

• IB

October 16, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Excuse you, ikwere’s don’t own Rivers State. We even refer to them as igbo seeing as they speak igbo n have igbo roots. To the writer where is runs n sex not the order of the day, you just painter Rivers State so bad that if one wants to relocate or get married to a Kalabari man or any other tribe the person would change there mind. I was born n bred here schooled in East and South but its same everywhere. I av been to Delta n I av friends there but its d same bunkering, oil money men the girls are after. You just tarnish Rivers State moreover we have good people here and there population outnumber the bad ones. Thanks

6. Zayt

October 16, 2015 at 9:43 am

Mouth agape @ he was cool with her not paying cash; paying in kind was also allowed. He went on to tell her he would find a secluded place to park the car, and she could either give him a blow job or have sex with him as payment for the ride. Na wa!

• ElessarisEllendil

October 16, 2015 at 10:10 am

Notice how the friend didn’t say how she ended up paying. Hmmmmmm

• Missappleberry

October 16, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Lmao! Na that one concern you. lol

7. Madueke Chukwugozie

October 16, 2015 at 9:50 am

PH, yes it’s true that people sleep around anywhere, but i think the behaviour is more rampant yenagoa or Bayelsa State in general

• Diuto

October 17, 2015 at 9:51 am

I agree with you on the Bayelsa thingy as I served there but believe me even Calabar is popular for such escapades. In Bayelsa sex is just like drinking water. They have no chill at all. It’s disgusting

A family friend went looking for a fellow corner during his nysc. He got lost and a woman and her daughter were trying to convince him he was in the right place. They also wanted to sleep with him.

8. mimimi

October 16, 2015 at 10:03 am

Sometimes I wonder how a conclusion can be reached from 3 stories? First of all , promiscuity is a trend synonymous with all big cities all over the world. Sex is the order of the day in Lagos, Abuja, Owerri, Calabar……anywhere there are men and women with morale decadence.. Ari hasn’t even been to PH and yet this is a topic she is writing on as though she is an authority. And no I do not live in PH. Take a seat please.

9. Thatgidigirl

October 16, 2015 at 10:09 am

My first degree was in phc, during my jambite year I was taken aback by how easy/normal it was for a guy to ask a girl to spend the night after one meeting or phone call. It was a culture shock and my roommates in the hostel didn’t make it easy, their late night discussions were centred around sex…even though they tried to code it from the 3 jambites in the room by calling it sukumba or suku for short ?.
    Phc has some of the prettiest curviest girls in Nigeria, and they enjoy sex in that town unlike lag and Abuja where it’s mostly about the money. Sex is a culture, that’s not to say that runs girls do not do their business there. 90% of my lesbian advances were in phc, the babes there are not playing o! They would approach you like a guy in the club, hustle you if their territory is threatened. Slut shaming and baby mama bashing hardly exists because even the bad girls get married really fast, and how many people do you want to condemn?
    The “pleasures” of sex is deeply embedded in the south south culture and it’s not frowned upon. I attended a friend’s trad who happens to be kalabari and when they were “escorting” her to her husband’s house,the family women gave her towel for her to ” tamba” after doing the do with her husbad. It was hilarious, and we couldn’t stop laughing. During SUG week in my sch where diff ethnic groups displayed their cultures, there was a kalabari masquerade that would hump girls walking alone until you give it money. Corruption and free money in recent past has only magnified an already existing culture.
    But then what do they really do in phc that isn’t being done in lag and Abuja especially??? They started it but but lag and Abuja has taken over really fast. And for anyone that wants to mention marine/water spirit note that Lagos is also on the coast line and has a lot of water bodies.

• nwanyi na aga aga

October 16, 2015 at 2:21 pm

The Summary of this whole story lies in this line “The “pleasures” of sex is deeply embedded in the south south culture and it’s not frowned upon”.
      I have stayed in 3 cities in the south south namely Yenagoa (Kpansia & Okolobiri), Warri(Jakpa road, Ekpan, Orhuwhorho) and Pitakwa ( Choba, Aluu & Rumola).. One thing I noticed that is common in the south south culture is freedom of having sex and discussing sex. There is no baby mama shaming et all. This is the reason why it seems PH is the city for sex. I experienced that same culture shock when I first entered Warri, it seemed all the girls I met already had a kid and it was not a big deal compared to how they take such issues in the east. it took me a while to get my head around it. But after touring most interior of oil producing south south, I kinda understood the mentality – Sex is sex, if you had sex you had a baby nothing out of place there. So its not like they engage in sex more than any city in Naija, its just that there is no hush hush attitude attached to it. Its out there in the open, you are either in or out. The money in Ph magnifies the situation reducing it to demand and supply issue. Freedom of demand + Purchasing power = Excess Supply..Lol!

10. Yue

October 16, 2015 at 10:11 am

More rampant in Yenagoa? Please before You say things eh, I hope You have a little experience in it. I’ve lived in Bayelsa state all my life and I can beat my chest and say there’s no such thing as “sex in the city” being rampant over here. If someone wants to have sex, they have sex in their houses or hotels wherever. You cannot come and say it happens in just one place and shit! This sounds soo stale and pointless. Like people don’t have sex everywhere in the world.

• nwanyi na aga aga

October 16, 2015 at 2:23 pm

You lived in Bayelsa all your life and you say its a lie? Nne you should just leave matters such as this. I lived in BY for 12 Calendar months if I start the story of what I saw, this comment section would not contain it. leave matter for matthias..

11. ElessarisEllendil

October 16, 2015 at 10:12 am

On the subject of Port-Harcourt, why hasn’t it been renamed? Are PH people really proud that their city is named after just not a rapist, but a man who tried to seduce his son?

• MC

October 16, 2015 at 11:12 am

HUH!?!

• clos wrecker

October 17, 2015 at 8:51 am

read this —-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Vernon_Harcourt,_1st_Viscount_Harcourt#Private_life

• Wale

October 16, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Yeah! PH – Porn House, sounds more appropriate.
      It all sounds disgusting. Bet you can smell the stench in the air even before landing or entering the God Foresaken city. I wonder truely how many people really have HIV or STD in that country, everybody is – everybody else- c r a z y!

• Whither censor?

October 16, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Bella Naija, your censorship (or lack thereof) allows the use of ‘the f word’!? as in wale’s comment!? I’m shocked. Sincerely.

12. tannie

October 16, 2015 at 10:21 am

Yes i’m going to take it personal cuz i’m a born and bred ph babe

Ari your friends can’t be saints in other cities and be “runs girls” in ph. A runs girl will always be a run girls no matter where she finds herself, so Ari stop having runs girls as friends.

BN if you like, don’t post my comment. mtchwwwww

• Mz Titilitious

October 16, 2015 at 10:35 am

lol

• Lulu

October 16, 2015 at 3:07 pm

I’m sure she-Ari is a coded one.

13. art

October 16, 2015 at 10:21 am

This is the most watery article I’ve ever read in recent times. So you base your judgement on hearsay. Can you imagine the statistics you throw around without proof, 80% of married men and women cheat on their spouses in PH, married folks sleeping with their friends spouses is a norm thats a big joke. “Sex is the order of the day in PH” Smh.
    So many people that had a wrong notion about PH came to the city and discovered something entirely different. I could help you carry out a survey for a little fee if you need to write about PH next time. my dear “madam know it all” just so you know as far as promiscuity is concerned PH is trying to catch up with Lagos and Abuja just like in entertainment. I’m not saying everyone in PH is a saint but this article is an insult.

• i no send

October 16, 2015 at 12:46 pm

ihaving lived a good part of my life in ph …. and i take exception to this kind of lame article ..where did she get her statistics from? this is simply a baseless beer parlour analysis…..i have also lived in lagos and have heard of importation of foreign hookers for nude parties of which i had previously never heard of any where in nigeria but i didn’t rise up to announce that 99 % of men there are into it….and why should non – indigenes be allowed to make this kind of provocative comments in a public forum as such as this … we have a lot to say about people who come from that part of Nigeria as well, but we going to keep it civilised..a big city any where in the world has all kinds of immoral vices its not peculiar to ph ……thanks

14. art

October 16, 2015 at 10:29 am

This is the most silly and watery article I’ve ever read in recent times. So you base your judgement on hearsay. Can you imagine the statistics you throw around without proof, 80% of married men and women cheat on their spouses in PH, married folks sleeping with their friends spouses is a norm thats a big joke. “Sex is the order of the day in PH” Smh.

15. Nina

October 16, 2015 at 10:58 am

Warri use to be an oil boomed city until most of the companies shifted base to PH so that is why i will say its different there.

In 2013 my company transfered me to PH,my sister what i saw ehen,my mouth cant say all,Yes its a town with big boys/girls .
    PH is the first place/city in Nigeria a man i met barely 2 weeks gave me 1m (without sex o,i know no one will believe me sha)as he wants me to leave the company’s guest house and go get my own place.,and another was already looking for a place me calling me to come check options(to see a beautiful all curvy girl and calabar for that matter easy?),smh

But i only stayed for 3 months then got transfered to Lagos.

But the truth is the highest rate of sex is in PH.

16. Paul Babalola

October 16, 2015 at 11:02 am

This is article is thrash. Stop stereotyping. Did you go to University at all? I did my one year internship as a pharmacist and NYSC in Port Harcourt 2005-2007. All the copples I know and was close to don’t sleep around. How on earth BN allowed this stupid write up is beyond me.

17. Trip

October 16, 2015 at 11:06 am

She’s damn right.
    I’ve spent some years in Ph ,I bet you she’s so right. Even in churches. A woman in my choir group almost turned me into her sugar guy thank God for wisdom, I ran and after discovering my Face was up, she decided to introduce a younger chick to me which I snubbed with disdain……It is well.
    Tiri gbosa for Portharcourt people wonle dobon?

18. Just it!

October 16, 2015 at 11:29 am

The most annoying of the cheating thing is the fact most of their women are chronic lesbians. I hear they even have groups where you can flaunt who has the hottest girls to her beck and call. A married woman openly asked my friend out cos she was curvy, promising her heaven and earth, and stating how she can’t wait to flaunt her to the rest of her clique. what a world!!
    Another one asked me out on facebook, Never met her.. she sent me a msg like someone who needed ladies to promote a certain line of product she deals with, and i gave her my number after some questioning. of course, she is a married lady & I didn’t suspect anything. she calls me at mid night to talk all trash and how my eyes are sexy and turn her on and as she hears my voice, masturbating and want to cum..Like seriously?????…. Lady is married with 3 boys. Asked her why she does what she does, and said she’s been a lesbian since school days. she got married and decided to stop but her husband was out of the country for the first 2 years. she had go back to sleeping with women that cheat with men. How she doesn’t need my holier than thou attitude. Most port harcourt married women are bisexuals. if you’re beautiful and ask them for a favour you’re in trouble cos she’ll tell u she MUST fuck u. And these women also have high positions in their various churches. Head chorister, head usher blah blah blah…

19. Bellemoizelle

October 16, 2015 at 11:32 am

Abegi! I served in ph from d principal of the school wanting to date me ,to some guys I felt we cld just to be friends wanting to sleep with me and yes oo yes PH city is a sin city ,Sincerely the only sane people I met in Ph were in church (not saying all of dem were saints ooo) I was super shocked cos I have never been to a place where sex is like drinking water,I had a friend hu tld me his landlady made passes at him and said if he didn’t like her,her own children cld satisfy him.

This article is spot on abeg.Another crazy place to be is Onne in Eleme oh my goodness lemme stop here!!!
    I cld not stand the madness I left 2days after passing out (Nysc)and my house rent wansnt even due,I cld have stayed for 3months more but I was just wary.

La vie est belle…..

20. Bellemoizelle

October 16, 2015 at 11:34 am

*I have never been in a place*

21. Margie

October 16, 2015 at 11:34 am

Most people coming into Port Harcourt for the 1st time seems to have wrong notions about Port Harcourt based on hearsay gotten from other people. I have lived in this state since my birth, schooled and also married here though not from this state. Port Harcourt people I believe are like people in other parts of the country as there’s a daily struggle to earn a living. If you travel to a place with a bad impression about the place you are visiting then your eyes will most certainly catch bad happenings but if you travel there with an open mind, then you most certainly pick up nice things there.
    Some months back at a family friend’s wedding, a babe who attended from Lagos pulled every seductive tricks in her book to seduce the groomsmen but was left disappointed when the guys started flashing their marriage bands. If PHC City was that kind of Sodom that our dear writer has stated above, then her tricks would have worked.
    The write up didnt do any justice to Port Harcourt people at all but the writer is entitled to her opinion.

22. MY WORDDD!!

October 16, 2015 at 11:47 am

I will NEVER read an article written by Ari again. Goshhh!!! How myopic can one be? You are such a small minded person. So from 3 experiences narrated by ‘friends’ you are now an expert in the PH citizenry’s body count stats?

SHAME!!

BN if you like use my comment and cook beans. Na una sabi.

23. Margie

October 16, 2015 at 11:50 am

If the above write up about Port Harcourt is true how come Lagosians complain that Port Harcourt is very dry as there are no night life and parties?

• Eqhaa

October 16, 2015 at 3:49 pm

PH is very dry, if your going to he honest. Out of all the places I’ve lived in my life. PH, Lagos, Houston, Frankfurt, PH is my least favorite. Very boring and not as exposed as Lagos or Abuja. I’ll rather live in Abeokuta or Calabar than live in PH. It was dreadful living there, I don’t miss it at all.

24. Annie

October 16, 2015 at 12:05 pm

[email protected] wonle dobon…. lol. PH shaaaaaa…. hmmmmm

25. Rose

October 16, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Am I the only bonafide porthacourt chick….born and bred there….went to uniport and all who don’t get to see all Dis sex in the city stuff about porthacourt….I had friends to and they were all disciplined as well….o well whenever people talk about ptown like this am always quick to tell them I can’t relate with you because my own experience is the direct opposite. May its because of the type of life I lived and who I let get close to me…..if you follow a randy crowd or a runs click…well that most definitely will be your experience..,. OK bye

26. Prince

October 16, 2015 at 12:58 pm

I was born in lagos, I finished my high school in port Harcourt and fortunately for me i got admission to study banking and finance at RSUST.
    Everyone cannot have the same opinion about a place or even a person. But PORT HARCOURT is the worst place to raise a child. I lived there for almost 10years. I had a neighbor that was sharing a girl with one of his sons (it wasn’t a hidden thing). I personally have caught a girl of about 5years giving a blowjob to a boy of less than 2years old. Port Harcourt is a mess.
    I live and work in Abuja though and I am never miss that city for anything

• Huh

October 16, 2015 at 3:48 pm

How is that posible???? Two years old boy please educate us???

• Prince

October 16, 2015 at 5:32 pm

I didn’t say the small boy enjoyed it, it was his cry that made us (4 of us including the little girls mum) knew something was wrong. It was painful bcos his stuff wouldn’t go down for a long time, you know how that feels if you’re a guy. I don’t have any reason to lie.

27. ednutey

October 16, 2015 at 1:02 pm

@Nina:so basically,u got free 1mill in 3months in PH without activity,pls I can like to know the soap u used that day o,u can send me an email,so its not made public.Thanks dear….Lol

• Ok baai!

October 16, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Lesbo alert??????

28. mrs chidukane

October 16, 2015 at 1:03 pm

To an extent I have to agree. I served in ph and the number of toasters I got everyday had me feeling like Kendall Jenner. Men will park their cars and run after you. It was always worse whenever I wore my khaki and tshirt. Maybe cos you know how tshirt can accentuate ones curves, maybe cos I was a Corper.

29. cleo

October 16, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sex activities is always part of any city, but some are more discreet than others.
    ABuja, Lagos, Port , Kano, Kaduna and many others =, there is always lose sexual activity. Why your friends noticed Port Harcourt is because they are no making efforts to hide the fact that this is what they are unto. So it is wrong to sex shame Port harcourt.

30. Due deligence

October 16, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Please do a proper survey before reaching a conclusion and if you are not sure then leave it open for discussion. On a side note, the fact that few people know of others that cheat doesn’t mean that everyone cheats.

31. EVE

October 16, 2015 at 1:24 pm

I can see more of politics in this post. PH now Bayelsa……… hmmmmmmmmmmmmm y such post? all cities are corrupt. We have few politicians in PH is not up to the number we have in ABJ how come the politicians in PH do more than the ones in ABJ?
    PLS NEXT STORY

32. Scarlet Xianne

October 16, 2015 at 1:28 pm

What kind of nonsense article is this? You haven’t even been to the place! Port-Harcourt is no different from Abuja or Lagos abeg . I’ve lived there for over twenty years, went to Uni there . Haba

33. Koffie

October 16, 2015 at 1:43 pm

I’ve never been to PH so I can’t say anything about this. But Ari, you should apologise as some folks will find your article to be very offensive. And with the comments, I guess your story will depend largely on the quality of people one moves with.
    And even when we say sex is rampant in all cities, remember that Lagos is some people’s hometown as well? There’s no win with this ‘sex and the city’ topic biko.

34. deedee

October 16, 2015 at 1:54 pm

This article is baseless and generalising….i lived in Ph for a while and none of this sexcapades ..well only a few… This article just sounds like its coming from a kid with a small circle of ruins girls as friends… next pls writer write something else that is S.M.A.R.T!

35. Ann

October 16, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Tho this article is exaggerated, derz some truth to it…but then again i heard all dis kinds of gist when i got admission into uniport some yrs ago and i was expecting the worst…only for me to get there and i met Jesus n got SAVED!!! And i’m forever grateful to God for that!!! I’m sure d promiscuity is not any different from Lag or ABJ…it’s just “less packaged”

36. Ilaye

October 16, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Swerve already! Another lazy ass blogger too lazy to do research.
    P.S: At least you got traffic

37. mimi

October 16, 2015 at 3:41 pm

well it depends, the city is much modernized so what do you expect, i lived in ph, but i never experienced a lot of that, but still people are people they live for themselves and not anyone, i love living in ph and i don’t see nothing wrong in it, at least i lived in woji and haven’t seen any harassment in the night while working but that is popular in Abuja and lagos

38. mz_daniels

October 16, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Bestie just moved to PH oh and she hasn’t given me this gist. Bestie, I’m coming to PH in November. You better get one maga to give me trips.

Notice I said M-A-G-A. We are chopping and cleaning mouth

39. Eqhaa

October 16, 2015 at 3:51 pm

The truth hurts. This is offensive but the truth. We can’t generalize but it’s accurate for the most. I mean, go through the comments section and see personal experiences.

40. Laila

October 16, 2015 at 4:49 pm

I don’t get. BN, you need to include a poll with this Ari’s post with the following options:
    – Port Harcourt is Sin City
    – Port Harcourt Holy Pass
    – Ari, I hate you.
    – BN, don’t swallow my comment.

My conclusion from the comments are:
    Port harcourt is Sin City (at least 20 people agree with the writer)
    Ari wrote based on her friend’s experiences, not hers. Is this enough to make port harcourt a sex-hole (is that even a word)? Well, I don’t know, but it isn’t unusual to write based on others experiences.
    BN, please y’all need to do something about tribalism on here. I didn’t even realise she used yoruba names until I read the comments. Some people just see life thru tribalism-tinted glasses. Na wa o, on top post wey be say she probably used fake names. If used English names now, u will say she has self-hate is uses oyinbo names. So we must knowingly use names from each major tribe in naija for articles to be sure no1 gets offended? Like those specimen ID cards? Mustapha Chinedu Bimbo.

BN people are special.
    Meanwhile, see the article raking in comments 60 comments and counting.
    Pls I’m boiling water for tea, anyone with special PH gist shld spill abeg. I don’t know why some people are saying they can’t talk about their experiences on here. Me I like gist o, and I’ve heard PH gist, but pls give me specifics.

41. Enigma

October 16, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Ok, i read the article, i live in PH and i also saw the BIOGRAPHY OF THE MAN PORT HARCOURT WAS NAMED AFTER……People, it says it ALL. Lewis Vernon Harcourt was known as a sexual predator attracted to both sexes. He attempted to rape Dorothy Brett, the daughter of Lord Esher, and followed this by an attempt to seduce his son. Dorothy Brett wrote of him that “it is so tiresome that Loulou is such an old roué. He is as bad with boys as with girls … he is simply a sex maniac. It isn’t that he is in love. It is just ungovernable Sex desire for both sexes”. His behaviour was known and tolerated in certain private quarters, however, after attempting to seduce a 12-year-old boy (Edward James,

42. ms

October 16, 2015 at 10:50 pm

This writer is FUCK’d up. It is like their is the plot to paint Niger Deltans in a derogatory light I sit and watch the shit going on in this country and some of you for a cheap sum will be vessels, maybe we should just break up. Tribalistic article. Your yoruba brothers uncles and fathers are there whoring around like dogs and swapping their willing women, Hausas men are screwing horses, men and women and their women in veils humping around like dogs on heat and you come here to talk shit, I am so angry. Very convenient to pick one set of people as immoral, nonsense.

43. Ello Bae

October 16, 2015 at 11:46 pm

Ari something tells me you are from Rivers State. That same thing also tells me you have lived in PH and are not just speaking/writing based on other people’s experiences. Most writers don’t just write things that don’t concern them. As someone who (maybe) lived in PH for a period of time, you are bringing this to light for us to be made aware of this somewhat pink elephant in the living room. PH like most big cities, has a lot of sex and the likes associated with it and by no means is this something to be proud of. That being said, the things I hear about Lagos and Abuja makes me think everyone there is a runs girl, bed hopper, cheater etc. However, I don’t come to a conclusion on that because I know I could be wrong. The same way I could be wrong in my assumption of your place of origin. Jumo laye akawai.

• Ello Bae

October 17, 2015 at 3:56 am

I guess I was wrong.

• Quiss

October 17, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Your point? Sex sells everywhere, sadly. As you’re saying you hear people in Lagos or Abuja are runs girls, that’s how MAJORITY of people hear same about PH girls. When I was much younger, I used to live in PH, and people even indigenes used to crack jokes that as long as you buy a PH girl Malt or you have a car, she’ll follow you home, that was in the 90s.
      You see, if you wanna say, oh you hear Lagos/Abuja girls are runs girls and you don’t generalize even at that, it still holds no weight as people can say same, even worse about PH or most south south states. Then, married men, Aristos and Politicians will go to UNIPORT in search of girls to sleep with. PH once had the highest number of HIV/AIDS in Nigeria. I agree this article might be quite brutal and hurtful, but at least 75% of it is precise.

44. Ese

October 17, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Please do I live in a hole in this Port Harcourt? Because I don’t think anything that happens here is so different from anywhere else. I have lived in Lagos,Benin, warrI and pH and I see the same things happen every where. There are some sexual lifestyles in Lagos that the PH people would be repulsive to. Being that I have lived in quite a few places I wouldn’t say it is more decadent than other major cities. Except I am really in a hole oh.

45. Temitope

October 17, 2015 at 6:46 pm

The article is not accurate, I lived in Port Harcourt for around 21 years from my NYSC days throughout my working career and presently I live out side Nigeria. Port Harcourt is not different from other cosmopolitan towns. The amount of sex you can get in PH and how easy you can is the same as in other towns worldwide. I have spent time in some towns in Nigeria and outside and believe it’s the same experience. Only thing I canadd is PH people don’t pretend if they do everybody will know they did

46. Dale

October 18, 2015 at 4:23 pm

I live in Port harcourt presently. I practice my profession here. In line of duty i have experienced cases where children of a deceased stay in court for up to 15 years to determine who will be the chief mourner of the dead man, Being a chief mourner for some of the ethnic nationalities gives the person an added advantage when it comes to presiding over the estate of the dead.
    I think the post has 80% accuracy. I also think the others about Bayelsa is true to a very good extent. The culture of the South South people especially Riverine part of Rivers State is
    matrilineal in nature. This means a child can inherit from the mother’s family if all the phases of marriage are not completed. This form of custom tend to give women an equal place in the society where they are free to decide who to sleep with and what to do with consequences thereafter. in my own view i dont think that the custom was geared towards giving women the option to give birth at random or behave in manners they like, i believe it was made to provide for children whose fathers have nothing to share for them or where the phases of marriage are not completed.
    On the other hand most other areas of River state do not see any thing wrong with being a single mother. In a case for damages for unconsented sex, my client’s father who came as a witness stated that in the custom of Ahoada people having a child at home is not against the custom. A simple test is, which city in Nigeria can you see more female indigenes who are single mothers or baby mamas? And where will such trend be in the increase in the next 10 years?

• beth

May 25, 2017 at 11:38 am

In that case, South South is practicing equality already and we need to appreciate them.
      They consider children as gifts doesn’t mean they approve sex. E don happen, e don happen.

47. beth

May 25, 2017 at 11:30 am

I lived there for twenty plus years. What you get there, you get in Lagos and Abuja. Sometimes it depends on the people you hang with or places you go to. Yea you can find them in decent places too but don’t just use 10 persons experience to bring down a whole city. How did you arrive at that 80% shit? PH is a small city so it is all up in your face. Look at Lagos, married men, chasing young girls up and down, even newly married guys and ladies in Lag. Is it ABJ where oga pata pata dem will be sleeping with very young girls? Na Lagos and ABJ holy pass abi? The reason why you are all shook by the PH story is because you didn’t expect the city to be like that. Lagos stories don’t shake anyone because we know Lag is like that.
    2 years in Lagos and i have seen it too, we know what happens in the areas we live, young girls owning houses you know they can’t afford , young men and their sexual escapades with both sexes. Same Lagos, men are not fathers of their supposed kids (you will ask how i know), it happens everywhere.
    My people, make we live talk, sex is in all cities, especially big cities. Discuss with people that have experienced this in Lagos and Abuja and you will write another article.
    By the way, how did the chic pay finally?
    Abeg, make una no curse me ohh, na talk we they talk?????