Features

Temi A: Let’s All Live ‘in the’ Abroad

He walked into the office. Tall, slightly stooped. He wrapped his humour around him like an armour, and tucked his despondency steadfastly in his back pocket. You could see it bulging out nonetheless like an overstuffed wallet; out of sight but not forgotten, easily reachable and felt.

He is one of the United Kingdom’s “unwanted”, an illegal immigrant. He sent a generous smile at the receptionist and made his way his solicitor. There, he carefully unpacked his problems. Yes, he had 99 problems, and yes, a lady was one of them – Ms. Theresa May, Home Secretary of the United Kingdom.

She, backed by the UK parliament, has passed various laws to ostracise him from the society. The problems include and are not limited to a potential landlord acting as Home Office and demanding to see a copy of his visa before he could rent a place. He had to do the same at the hospital now. He could be picked up anywhere (yes including his home, his sanctuary) and deported at anytime without a right of appeal. It was the new law you see: the “deport first, appeal later one”. As for his job, he could not go to work for fear of being asked to show his passport or biometric card, and so he had resigned his job and started a new one. He was paid £20 a day for his efforts.

Still, he was optimistic. He was in the UK, he had a roof over his head, and if he worked hard enough he would be able to apply for further leave to remain in the UK.

Not so. His solicitor dropped a new one on him. He had to pay approximately £650 for an application to the Home Office, as well as pay a new fee called an “NHS surcharge fee”. This was a new law as well, courtesy of Messrs. Theresa May and Parliament. It is payable by everyone applying for leave to remain in the UK as they were deemed to be using free medical services. However, what this fee failed to take into account was that some people had legal leave to remain in the UK and were tax paying members of the society and as such had contributed to their medical expenses. Even my illegal Mister had contributed to his expenses as he had been able to “get” a N.I card and paid tax! Cui bono?

Now he starts to worry, and the worry is not only limited to him, but the other immigrant with legal leave to remain in the UK… like Mr. P. Assured in the knowledge of his biometric card currently resident in his suitcase, he had walked confidently to his solicitor until he realised that there was a price for his lust. You see, he and his wife had 4 children. Therefore, the money for applying for further leave to remain in the UK was this- £650 multiplied by 4, multiplied by £500 multiplied by 4. Convoluted maths! Can’t you calculate Temi. A you say? I say, get a calculator and do it yourself: as frantically as Mr. P was. The sums do not add up. How is he to afford £4,600 for application to the Home Office, excluding his solicitor’s fee? Mr. P cannot come up with the money. He works at Tesco, and his wife is a domestic worker. Their visas expire. They become illegal immigrants too- round and round the mulberry bush.

Mister. Tall and Stopped walks out of the solicitor’s office. Armour firmly in place. He walks past the receptionist and notices she comes from his place of origin. He also notices her British accent. He stops, looks at her and intones “you sound just like them…you are very lucky”. He flashes a smile and walks away. You ask why would he consider her lucky for sounding just like people who are making very serious, energetic and concerted efforts to make his life a living hell? No answer comes to you.

So you want to live ‘in the’ abroad? You have been advised that once you get your visitor’s visa, everything will sort itself out? Just get in first they say. Did they tell you the fear that permeates your system every time you hear a siren pass once the 6 months runs out? Were you told that the Home Office will routinely reject any application for further leave to remain in the UK for the simplest of reasons thereby inducing a legal battle that could last at least 2 years? What happens to your life in this period?

Oh, you were not also told that time, time does not wait for you. The victim of the love triangle between you, the home office and time is the loss of your life. The sum of what you were, what you could have been, and what you will finally be once you get the leave to remain in the UK after approximately 3 -6 years of fighting for it. This is not a prose. These characters are not fictional. It could be you. Yes, you. Your student visa expires next month I am told.

Do you know that there are proposals for a new rule that means you cannot apply for an extension of leave within the UK? Oh, how about the one that says you will not be entitled to work, not even the part –time job to afford certain niceties. Why does no one fight then you ask? They cannot. Legal battles are expensive. Mr. P cannot afford to support a case all the way to the European Court of Human Rights even if he does have an arguable case based on the discrimination and the abuse of system by denying him an appeal right under Article 6 and Article 14 of the European Convention on Human Rights. However, will this happen anytime soon? No. not likely. That is a brief glimpse of what goes on behind the screens. Oh the joys of living ‘in the’ abroad!

This is longer than I intended it to be, but it comes from a place of deep frustration and anger at the system. Try as solicitors might, it seems as if they cannot beat it. As usual, comment and add more information to this if you have it at your disposal and feel free to share your experiences as well regardless of where you are. I have managed to thoroughly depress some of you on this fine day haven’t I? I apologise ☺

Photo Credit: Dreamstime |  Macsim

I like to believe that I am entirely focused on building a career as a Solicitor, but my love for Food and Yoruba movies poses a serious threat to this dream.

1. xag

October 16, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Can they be blamed? Everyone is looking for a better life in a sane climate because for every success story of those that stay behind in Nigeria, there are 1000 other lives ruined by the crazy system in the country.

• Tope

October 16, 2015 at 4:06 pm

You have a point BUT the citizens of our country – Nigeria has to share in the blame. They keep voting “thieves” into power in exchange for a bag of rice.
      The moment people get angry and say enough is enough with a system that doesn’t work – things will begin to change. Instead the average Nigerians have given hope and the slogan “e go better” is not far from their mouth.

2. Luch

October 16, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Never lived in the abroad, I kind of get the gist of what you were trying to say though cos I read about the new laws online but please you need to improve on your writing, it was a bit scattered, and u missed a few letters while spelling some words.

More ink to your pen. Have a great weekend.

• Temi. A

October 16, 2015 at 4:21 pm

I noticed some typos as well, only after I had sent off the email to BN, and the penultimate paragraph is a bit wonky, I agree. Enjoy it nonetheless. It was written with all the love and frustration that was flooding my system at the moment.
      @E.E – No labour propaganda o. It just is very frustrating is all. I went to a conference the other day, and a senior home office official informed us that one-third of applications for Tier 1 applicants was routinely refused. The implication is people pay money for these applications, yet a third of it will be refused for whatever summary reason a home office case worker can conjure. Haba!
      So much to write about, however I could only focus on certain aspects just to highlight the difficulty people face, and to dissuade others from relocating without going through the proper legal avenue.

• Evly

October 17, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Well done Temi. I totally enjoyed your post. You echoed the frustrations of a lot of people based in ‘the abroad’
      The conservative government are deliberately making thing harder and harder in a bid to chase out immigrants legal or otherwise. But they are happy taking your money and making you spend the very little you have been able to save. Bottom line is you never acquire anything in the Uk. They tax every penny off you anyway. Lesson to all Nigerians who think it’s a land flowing with milk and honey…

• Ross

October 18, 2015 at 9:11 am

I absolutely enjoyed the piece. Sometimes I was almost lost, but your writing is getting more and more interesting. Please keep it up.
      I also enjoyed that you touched on this issue and you nailed the crux quite aptly. People do not have a sense of purpose, otherwise why would a human being go to another man’s country to be treated like an outcast. Yes 10 years later, they allow you stay, but what is your mental state is what I keep asking? What about your children who grow up with this shadow over them? What does their future look like?
      Are these people telling me bringing up children with no sense of belonging and constant rejection in the UK, US or wherever is better than bringing them up in Amuwo Odofin in Lagos?
      It’s so sad honestly

• Mohammad

October 16, 2015 at 10:27 pm

Temi, you are far too modest! The criticism is totally undeserved, especially seeing the other stuff that gets posted here. I love the angle you used in presenting your analyses and it would do well to be broadcast in the UK liberal press. I love it! Seriously!

3. ElessarisEllendil

October 16, 2015 at 3:59 pm

I sense subtle labour propaganda.
    I can’t blame them though, I mean with how crappy Nigeria is, look at some of the bile IJBs get, imagine we were rich, it will Ghana must go all over again.

The Brits aren’t as rich as they used to be and thus they feel less generous. Try Russia, Canada, Singapore or Brazil, they have more liberal immigration policies. The EU will only get more repressive as they get poorer or you know you could just stay in Nigeria, try to make it better……………….

4. C

October 16, 2015 at 4:00 pm

And while people like these are struggling with all these, relatives in Nigeria will be expecting them to send £££ from the abroad. God help us. Many Britons have never left the UK but we go through all sorts to live in the abroad. It is well.

5. Tope

October 16, 2015 at 4:01 pm

As a Nigerian legally Living in the U.S for more than 10 years. You have written well.

Although, i do not know much about UK’s immigration system but America’s immigration system is very similar but not as harsh. Living “in the abroad” is good but you need to have the right documentation to survive. A lot of our Nigerian brothers and Sisters come into this country and marry oyinbo in order to get their “papers”.

Thereby leaving behind their legally married husbands/wife and most time – children – in Nigeria,

I visited Nigeria 2 months ago and OMG, Temi, Nigeria has potential, our people are hard working. All i see in Nigeria is untapped resources and avenue to make money. YET, the American embassy keeps milking us dry with every visa application a person submits. And Nigerians are equally met with a Visa denial.

I tell friends and families in Nigeria that “the abroad” is VERY FAR from the bed of roses you think it is. Many people save for months or years to afford the lavish lifestyle they display for you when they visit Naija – Except the well to do ones of course – which are a just handful.

And in return, friends/family respond by telling me that if Yankee no good – come back home na. THEY DON’T JUST GET IT.

If only Nigerians in Nigeria will work hard to build our country and not run to the white man’s land overtime they get the chance. It is getting harder in “the abroad” guys. Stay Home, Work hard and visit on Vacation. Nothing more. Hopefully, my transition back home – to motherland is smooth and successful in the coming months.

6. Gbemi

October 16, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Great , the abroad had a sane society that is working very well .. But as a black man you would always be a foreigner because of your color (you won’t go around with your British passport to show everyone that you are a citizen) while I have nothing against people living abroad with legal documents but when you don’t have the right papers and you keep running like rats … I have a big problem … Nigeria is bad ., Nigeria is bad bla bla but people are making it daily (pure and legal) why must you kill yourself to be a salesboy at kfc all in the name of living in the abroad .., if the abroad is not working for you .. Come home and make something good out of your life ..the people you left here are doing well ooo

7. Dove

October 16, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Yep most of the abroad people are suffering. Yet they will keep asking those of us who have chosen to stay in Nigeria, “are you planning on moving to the UK to join your brother, cousin…?” Rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like seriously is it a crime that some of us have chosen to make it in Nigeria? When I visit the abroad I see how people live and I have decided that I will not be a slave in another mans country. The funny thing is with this my entry level banking job, I am doing better than the aunties and uncles who want me to join them in the abroad. So what is the attraction???

Abroad people, stop telling us to apply to join you guys in the USA or UK or Canada… Some of us are doing just fine here, suffer head is not by force.

• ATL's finest

October 16, 2015 at 5:24 pm

@ Dove it’s sad that your are doing better than the Aunties & Uncles U visited. U don’t ve to live here as long as you are comfy in Nigeria. I was in Nigeria sometime ago & it wasn’t very impressive. My last few days was insane & I couldn’t wait for my sanity. I left Nigeria when I could bare think ( before I finished high school). I had a great foundation (thanks to my parents). So it’s been over a decade living here & I wouldn’t change a thing about it. America is a land of opportunity, it doesn’t matter how old U’re, as long as u have the right documents, u will survive & achieve your goals. I mean hav achieved a lot for myself at my age. Sometimes I wonder if I was still back home, it would ve happened. I mean graduates can’t get a job. Yes some are suffering here but if u so the right thing & aim at your goal, there’s no reason anyone here should not be comfy. But u cant come here & don’t wanna work hard & think manners will fall from heaven. Folk are still getting treatment outside d Country, everyone that can afford it is either having an American Citizen or a UK Citizen baby ( so what are we talking about)? Those suffering abroad choose to suffer. There are A LOT of ways you don’t ve to suffer. Well that’s just my own opinion..

8. whocares

October 16, 2015 at 4:37 pm

I rarely go to church, but one time I went, a church member was giving testimony about how God saved her brother’s life. He does not have leave to remain in the UK, and when he heard immigration officers were coming to his work place (construction worker) apparently he leaped from a building. He was injured and what not but he managed to escape the immigration officers. Boy was I depressed. Do you have any idea what kind of thoughts runs through a person’s mind to decide escaping the immigration officers is more important than his life? UK immigration now is a joke. An absolute joke. If the UK manages to withdraw from the ECHR then it is all over cos Theresa May and her cronies are not joking.

9. Paul Babalola

October 16, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Great write up. I live in Manchester, my personal opinion on immigration is if you are not engaged in a top professional job, I personally don’t think it’s worth it. If I have the option of rising in a top pharmaceutical company, I will rather stay put in Nigeria. I was working in a state hospital, the salary was ridiculous, I tried my hands on opening an outlet, market forces was against me. I opted then to go for HSMP, now cancelled, I got into the UK . UK is not a bed of roses, from very harsh taxation, to litigation in work places that could make you loose your licence and to the subtle institutional racism. The onus for us is to improve our country. When I see what Nigerians do to eke out a living here, I just feel bad, highly educated Nigerians, MSc holders. I have seen a Nigerian PhD holder doing a clerical work at the London underground, I told the man to go back to Nigeria instead of that kind of work, many private universities are springing up.

10. A.b

October 16, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Yes! My student visa expires exactly one year from now! I have bn in the uk for the past 5years now . First degree done! 2nd degree done! Do I wanna go back home? Of course yes! Yes, there are opportunities here and also at home. Work harder and you won’t regret it . Everyone keeps telling me z what do you wanna come do in Nigeria like I don’t get it. What will I be doing here ? I can’t make it as much as I will make it back home . We pay bills, rent . Everything . We all live in debt . Phone, everything . I am so excited to go back home . I really can’t wait . I am happy to start from somewhere . Abroad is overhyped .

• ATL's finest

October 16, 2015 at 8:15 pm

@ A.b I pray U get a job & hopefully u ve some connections to see U thru.. I wish my cousin could say the same thing. Did everything in UK, came out first class for Masters. I begged her not to head back Omo she didn’t listen.. Till this day, no Job she came to d States but decided to go. She moved from PH to ABJ & then Lag but stl no Job. Thanks to God her parents are wealthy cuz she’s to the point of frustration. Even her parents connections isn’t bring nothing at d moment for a job. I felt heart broken when she said ” if I had known, I would ve married someone for papers”:( cuz UK is TOUGH but in d States, u ve all that degree Omo U go enjoy am. I don’t care how much bills U ve to pay, taxes etc u will still be comfy & be able to invest back home. My cousin is a nurse in Nig when she told me her salary, even CNA is richer than her. Abegi let’s be truthful to ourselves there’s prons & con’s living outside the country & in Nigeria. Best of luck A.B. for I know the lord is your strength.

• Frida

October 16, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Why are you doing everything in your power to prove that it’s better to live abroad. One man’s meat is another man’s poison.

• ATL's finest

October 17, 2015 at 3:41 am

@ Frida! U’re funny.. Why do I have to do that ??? Pls my experience is different from others and I may like it those mean those will. So all U WWE find some one else to attack. Opinions are like Assholes everyone’s got one & so do I.

11. tunmi

October 16, 2015 at 5:24 pm

Of course there will be people back home doing well as there will be people abroad doing well. I can speak from my experience. To be honest, my family is poor as are many families in Nigeria. Which is why BN will never be a representative sample of the Nigerian population. Maybe LIB or Stella or even twitter would be more representative.

Back to the class thing, when talking about those who make it in Naija and those who leave, we often leave class out which is important. My mum works as a civil servant. My dad is a shipping clerk. There are 4 of us and they put us through school: Command, Reagan, and Queens College. So when the opportunity came for me to live abroad, my parents took that opportunity for me. So we were and are poor. My mum was lending money to pay our school fees as she worked. When things were good with my dad’s job, he contributed greatly.

I live in the US, I came when I was 11 and it has been 12 years now. The US seems more lenient to illegal, especially in certain states. I came on a visitors visa and even without papers I make more than my family combined with hair braiding, tutoring and leveraging my math skills. I’ve been going to school since I came and I’m now pursuing actuarial science (insurance math) in university. My older brother recently got a contract job with his polytechnic degree in finance (it was difficult for him to find work).

I say this to say that while some folks are doing better in Nigeria, many are not. These are the people whose voices we don’t hear because they can’t afford the phones or data plans or the time to come to BN and share their plights. The things I am able to do (even as an undocumented in the US) is more than I would have been able to do Nigeria because we don’t have that connection. I got lucky and I absolutely know it.

• Lulu

October 16, 2015 at 7:19 pm

@Tunmi, all I want to say is WELLDONE! You must have passed through trying times but you are an overcomer. Please, do your Actuarial qualification well. It will take you places.

• mami

October 16, 2015 at 7:53 pm

I completely agree with u…….people on BN forget that 90% of Nigerians still live in abject poverty…..dirt poor….no TV talkless of internet…..no hope,no education, how do u explain to that person to come back to naija…..when even from the airport or sea port which ever way they got in thru…..they are treated like human beings……things are in order……you work and you actually get PAID……these days in naija……having a job and working doesn’t mean you will get paid at the end of the month…..and my dear there’s nothing you can do about it……so Plsss it’s much much more complex……..a whole lot has to be done…….if you hear some people’s stories…..smh…..you no go get mouth tell them to come back sef.

• ATL's finest

October 16, 2015 at 8:33 pm

@ Tunmi I don’t know U, but I felt like my spirit just glued to urs. That’s the Hardwork you put it. U believd in yourself. U knew where u came from & where u are heading to. My dear u are doing the right thing. Keep on pushing and trust me, U will see the day light. I have a FAM friend in Nig they don’t know what NTA channel is because even the oldest is 22 & have never watch a Tele or they ve never owned one. I will continue to say it I DON’T care how hard it is here if I have every chance bring in all my Cousins back home I will.. If its to get a better health system, it’s sth. Person go dey suffer cancer dem go say na typhoid smh.

• Mohammad

October 16, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Tunmi, why do I love you so much? Without being patronising, I always thought of you as older but you speak so many truths

• Dee

October 19, 2015 at 8:34 am

Tunmi, thank you so much for touching on the class issue!!!

When I see someone from a poor family, I have more compassion for why they are in “the abroad”, struggling against all odds; cos e do do, u go come house, meet light—food nko, forget, u fit chop finish your life–and children go go school- which way, anyway…some people are content with these basics of life, hopeful that their children will do better- and they will- and you see the elevation between generations..

On the other hand, I am always annoyed at Nigerian rising middle class people who leave Naija and quote superfluous reasons- my annoyance is u know things have gotten better for u, and will most likely continue to, why give all that up to come and start from scratch???? Like people who can afford #200,000 for pre-school/child in Nigeria- u have no business coming to suffer in America. I just have no compassion for your “suffering”

Interested in studying overseas? Need funding? Details on e-book here: goo.gl/0HdjW7

12. Chinedu

October 16, 2015 at 5:24 pm

God bless you A.B. Nigerians in Nigeria don’t appreciate what they have. Those telling you “what do you wanna do in Nigeria” most likely have not lived “in the abroad” to experience how hard life can be over there. There is really no place like home.

13. PACE

October 16, 2015 at 6:26 pm

Circumstances differ and this should be taken into consideration. For some, living in Nigeria would avail them with more opportunities than living abroad. For others, especially the lower class who the people nor the government give a toss about stand better opportunities living abroad. I read a comment stating brits don’t want to live anywhere else than the UK. I would not want to live anywhere else if I was a native brit as well. There is some sort of provision or the other for all classes. You don’t have to be affluent to get good quality education, you can live in a serene environment without having to be a billionaire. The list is endless. It’s very true that there’s nowhere like home. However, one gets confused when the conditions of living at ‘home’ are way tougher than the conditions of living outside home. I will NOT like to join the bandwagon of people who blame all their life problems on the Nigerian government. Truth is we all as Nigerians have a role to play in making life in Nigeria more habitable for us all. If we can all play our roles, things will definitely be better.

14. TrueTalkCritique

October 16, 2015 at 7:03 pm

This article hit the right notes for this issue/Topic. I have a friend who was in a legal battle with the home office for over 6years ….thats 6 years without the ability to work or travel……its completely insane and not to talk about the amount of money that went into the whole process! The conditions for getting a visa is absolutely ridiculous but hey, can you blame them for doing as they please? if only our own leaders had the sense to invest and not steal! The fact that you could pay app £1K on renewal for a single person and when denied, you don’t even get a percentage of the fees back and sometimes they honour your application but only giving you a few months at a time and I have been there, having to make 3 applications in one single year. Every time I speak to a UK born person about how much investment we make in just application fees, they are usual dumbfounded when most of them still mourn seriously about the £130 it cost for obtaining a British passport. I have been in the UK legally for 17years and I wonder what life would have been had I just invested all that money………O Lord!
    Now coming to study a foundation course cost about £15ooo……now multiply that by N330…God help us and most annoying thing I just found out ……you cant submit a company account as sponsor account except the company has an International affiliation…….aint that a joke!

15. TrueTalkCritique

October 16, 2015 at 7:07 pm

when people tell me the want to relocate to the UK, I tell them as it is with no sugar coating……roads here are not paved with money, you work hard to earn good money and 7 out of 10 times, peeps are better off staying with what they have in Nigeria…well except you have nothing!

16. Anon

October 16, 2015 at 7:28 pm

This is the first I’m hearing of this NHS surcharge. I haven’t really been keeping up with immigration laws as I’ve still got about 18 months left on my visa. It is however a rip-off as I currently pay the same tax and NI as any UK citizen. I therefore see no reason why I should pay an extra £200 yearly to use the NHS. That said, David Cameron and Ms Theresa May are powerless against the people who abuse their services most – Europeans!!! I see this as a move to make all non-EEA immigrants pay for the EU immigrants. This move should ideally be resisted but…..them no force anybody stay here.

17. L

October 16, 2015 at 7:30 pm

I was going to type something long, but then I realized that people may not get it until they live in America. This may sound cliche but it’s true. America is a country where if you come to you can survive. Nigeria is also a place you can survive and maybe survive better because it’s your country.

Let me just tell you some stories this pastor came to America from Nigeria no job. No house. They got him this black American to be with and all she was over there doing the most. He left and started sleepin in the church. He is on his two feet now. He survived. And will continue to push on to survive. To me that’s no different to what he was doing in Nigeria.
    This guy I think he was doing some petty job in Nigeria mechanic or so came to America he can’t even speak English well can’t drive. Now he was surviving in Nigeria came here people helped him for a WHILE he got a job it will not pass all those under the carpet job. He got fired from there. He is jobless now but still surviving.
    I got one advice for you DONT COME TO AMERICA if you think it’s going to be easy. The job at the fast food restaurant is hard to get if you aren’t even a citizen or have work permit. If you know how to do something with your hands, hair, sew clothe. That is good it’s something you can start off with and tell the members of the local mosque or church you join. FYI if you don’t have a license you aren’t supposed to be doing all that, but ??.
    When you start doing that you start making money the little money you can make take classes in community college graduate with AA degree if you wish get bsc. If you wish again get masters.
    Education is important here.

If you are in Nigeria and you get a job that is paying all right and you have the opportunity to be promoted while on that job. and you get the opportunity to come and live in America (I did not say work o) I suggest you stay in nigeria.

• ATL's finest

October 16, 2015 at 8:23 pm

@ L God bless U chaiiii u feel me die! I wish I can like ur comments back to back. I tell people this EDUCATION is the key here. In Nigeria, u don’t need an education to be successful. But here sorry too even a driving test , u must make an 80ish to pass lol. That’s the only way but then u ve people that come in with Green card or legal way and still don’t wanna do Shit. How do u expect to be ok & not suffers? America is sow ur coat according to your size. I’ll survive it U make the BEST out of it. Even if is not college sef (professional hand work, u will make $$ and be comfy).

18. L

October 16, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Plus what I typed was not what I was going to say. LOOL all I wish Nigerians dying to come to America is that what you are doing here you can do it to in Nigeria. It may be harder but it’s doable.

Plus ehhh you see all these people in America that are your age mates or even you get and flashing house and car. They are all on payment plan. The moment they can’t pay gbam their credit will spoil. Ask anyone of the American credit system it’s so hard to get back up.. Don’t let their lifestyle cause you heart attack and be thinking deep and make you ask God why me. Biko everybody Get e own lane.

19. its not that simple.

October 16, 2015 at 9:41 pm

I really like your response to this article and I really enjoyed reading this article. Good luck to anyone who is facing these problems where ever you are in the abroad. As for me I agree quite a bit with Tunmi. I often get the sense that most Nigerians commenting on posts here are in Lagos and certainly of a different class to the mass amount of people who simply cant afford to recharge let alone buy data. I was fortunate to live in Lagos for a good part of last year and I loved it. I saw opportunities that thrilled me but in the end I’ve returned to the UK where I’ve been over 20 years. Why? Its not so simple to just pack up and return. I was living for free with family on the island but that arrangement wasn’t forever.

I agree with anyone who says that we Nigerians could make Nigeria work and I want to be part of that. But I think if you keep that goal in mind you’ll start to see where you can make a difference. And if sending money home makes a difference to loved ones then let that be enough for now. Not everyone is suffering abroad but it is hard just like it is anywhere in the world. I have a love hate relationship with the UK and I’ve never had to go through document issues neither have my parents having come here since the 80s. But if you don’t have your papers together don’t come here thinking it will work out different for you. And if you can come legitimately do come because trust me I’ve seen people doing amazing things and they haven’t been here as long as I have. So in the end its about the will and the luck. Don’t believe the hype about any country, even Nigeria, not everywhere is Lagos.

20. Bowl

October 16, 2015 at 9:54 pm

Let me say it again , the Nigerian dream is more real than the American or British dream. The. Indians, Chinese, South Africans , Lebanese believe they can pick gold off the streets in Nigeria. Why can’t Nigerians see the same. I think many able Nigerians are lazy .i am an employer of labour so I know. I know the conditions are anything but agreeable but many Are still making it . Almost anything can sell given our enormous population . At the end of the day same thing it takes to prosper in nigeria it takes to prosper in America with all the right conditions. If you ask me , I actually think it is easier here ,. minus ‘African magic ‘and ‘Airforce’.

• Sugar

October 17, 2015 at 11:05 am

You just spoke my mind. Do you know the number of Indians with big companies in Lagos. so many renowned names. Indians and Lebanese are making it big here in Nigeria and even enslaving our own Nigerians working for them. Try and Google Indian and Lebanese Companies existing in Lagos alone and you will be shocked!

Even the Popular Intercontinental Hotel is owned by an Indian man

21. Sass

October 16, 2015 at 10:46 pm

This year is the year I would have gotten my citizenship if I had just stayed back in the UK.
    The cold no grEe me. I was constantly depressed cos of the weather. To be honest who will make it will make it whether home or abroad. There are many dirt poor English people. When I was doing undergrad I had an English classmate who said no matter what she graduated with her family would be proud as she was the first one in generations to go to uni.

My point is this, I have 2 degrees from England plus my call to bar and my salary is somwhat shitty while I know people who went to “dead” schools in naij and let’s just say they are packing Major coins. Major LEGIT coins..

Who will make it will make it whether home or abroad. Just put your back into it, pray and have faith and believe me things will fall in line.