News

British-Ghanaian actor & Former MTV ‘Yo Mamma’ Host Sam Sarpong Commits Suicide

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

stream_img

Sam Sarpong, a British-Ghanaian actor known popularly for his role as a co-host of MTV’s Yo Mamma committed suicide on Monday, according to E! News.

His agent released the following statement;

It is with great sadness that the family of Samuel “Sam” Sarpong, Jr. must share the news that Sam has passed away. The circumstances surrounding his death are currently under investigation and no additional details are known at this time. Information about final arrangements will be forthcoming. The family appreciates the thoughts prayers and other expressions of sympathy, and request their privacy be respected at this extremely difficult time. Samuel Sarpong Jr. is survived by his father Samuel Sarpong Sr., and his sister June Sarpong. Samuel Sarpong Jr. was 40 years old.

The 40-year-old star, who played a lead role in Omoni Oboli’s 2010 movie ‘Anchor Baby’, reportedly jumped off a bridge in Pasadena, California.

Omoni Oboli expressed her grief on social media saying “Have mercy Lord!!! I have been balling my eyes out for the last hour! I can’t deal with this! God knows I can’t! My husband in the movie ‘Anchor Baby’ gone like that! I have never met a more positive guy in my whole life! He’s the most genuine, God fearing, lovable character you’ll ever meet. What is in this life now?  all the hustle! Over! Just like that! I’m MISERABLE! God speed fam! Rest in the bosom of The Lord!”

His Yo Mamma pal Wilmer Valderrama also took to Instagram to express his grief “I am so sad & so confused.. Sam did it all, believed in dreaming bigger than anyone around him.. We made memories together that will last us forever, thank you for sharing your talent with me and the world.. You were a light everywhere you went and I couldn’t be more proud of the journey you traveled.. You just left us too early Sam.. We will miss you and pray for you.. Once again thank you for all those years you dedicated to our show, we couldn’t have done it without you! Find your peace my brother! And to everyone in a dark place.. PLEASE, please talk to someone.. Anyone.. Trust me that we WILL listen.. You are not alone, there are so many people that feel the same darkness, let’s help one another, let us shine hope on all those that need our understanding!! Reach out to someone and make your first step towards living a life you deserve. My prayers and heart are with family and friends that were blessed to know his beautiful soul #RIPSamSarpong”

1. IKeepitReal

October 29, 2015 at 7:47 am

What a sad story. You never know what people are going through, the burdens they bear, their pain, their misery, their ups, downs, and challenges.
    Sometimes, all we need is God to guide us, a listening ear to listen to our groans, and our fears. An open arms to embrace us. A supportive shoulders to lean on. And these are things money and fame can NEVER buy.
    #Astghfurillah (In Allah we seek forgiveness)

• Prayforme

October 29, 2015 at 2:12 pm

This is too heartbreaking. Depression, hopelessness, helplessness doesn’t know anybody. Family, friends, people in general tell me I bring so much joy to them. I like to smile, laugh and give out words of encouragement/advice. I’m a good listener. Helping others through their pain and struggles. I hate to see people hurting, that’s why I go out of my way, from a genuine heart to offer any help for them get, to feel better.
      But life hasn’t been fair or be lucky to me at all. Academics, has been my biggest challenge, just things in general. And it’s not like I have some super talent where I can nurture, develop if school is difficult for me. My life is not close at all to the expectation I have for myself. I try so hard to remain positive, especially being a Christian. I cry out to God to help me, and Looks like HE’s not listening to me. There’s no day that doesn’t go by, I don’t pray for change. But it’s like my life is not getting better, not much progress. Suicidal thoughts running through my mind, I’ve prayed too many times that I don’t want to wake up. It’s been a very difficult long life journey filled with hardships.
      Recently, I’ve been doing better. I had to not put such high expectation on myself, don’t be so afraid to disappoint my parent, and pray more even if I feel like God has forgotten about me.

• One day at a time

October 29, 2015 at 5:37 pm

All is well!!! We must go through such hard lessons in life to grow, to understand, and to become a better human being. Later on in life you will look back and thank God you went through all you did, because someone else might be going through the same thing you went through and because of how you overcame It all that person will feel solace knowing that all will be well. So chin up, And smile.

• Bisisexy reply

October 30, 2015 at 6:24 am

Im so sorry to hear that your going thru this and it sounds like a pretty tough situation ur going thru and i cant seem to imagine what your going thru and must admit it sounds pretty difficult. Its okay to feel the way u feel, wen situations get really tough. However i noticed u mentioned your prayers to God which sounds like something that keeps you frm dyi g by suicide. I jst want to encourage you to reach out to pple who u trust and are your strngths, while i hope things get better for you soon. I hope you feel better soon.

• Jay

October 30, 2015 at 11:55 am

Dear, Jesus came to give you life, joy, success, victory and all that you need ABUNDANTLY… Always confess this to yourself. Regardless of what happens around you, keep confessing these to yourself and believe. Dont just pray. Spend time confessing God’s word in Psalm 23 upon you. Just keep confessing. Day, afternoon and night, keep confessing. Try and download ” intentional” by Travis Greene and always listen to the words. You will come out of this soon and be a testimony. God bless you….

• lily

October 30, 2015 at 9:22 pm

i have found myself in such situation lately but all i am doing is praying. I worked too hard to be in the Nursing Program and now everything is falling out of hand. It is well

• Friend

October 31, 2015 at 3:25 am

Sorry to hear about your depression. Find this book, The Power Of Now and read it. The book may help you with your issues. Sam was a friend.

2. Honey molasses

October 29, 2015 at 7:50 am

Oh my lordddddddd! May the good lord accept his soul! What could make such a positive young man who seem to have everything together commit suicide is really beyond me. Lord help us to be strong even when we don’t feel strong and help us to notice when people around us are struggling with the dark cloud of depression which usually ends in sucide so it doesn’t end like this.

3. webofnaija

October 29, 2015 at 8:08 am

too sad.

4. webofnaija

October 29, 2015 at 8:09 am

webofnaija.com will be a great miss

5. adams E

October 29, 2015 at 8:25 am

Been thinking about my brother for the last 24hrs, angry that he left me so early even though he died of illness, don’t know Sam buh I feel like I do. I pray that before anyone gets to his breaking point may God wrap them in his loving arms and give them if nothing else one more reason to live, love and be happy

6. hmmmmmm

October 29, 2015 at 8:46 am

RIP Sam, Just heart breaking. @ikeepitreal well said my thoughts exactly. You never know what people going through.

7. ATL's finest

October 29, 2015 at 9:59 am

So sad! I remember that show ‘Yo mamma”.. Afterall d hard work & successs all gone just like that.. RIP Sam

8. maryjane

October 29, 2015 at 10:22 am

So sad! Sometimes all we need is just someone who is genuinely interested in us, someone who will listen to us, someone who wouldn’t judge us…somone who will make us see reason for living. RIP

9. i no send

October 29, 2015 at 10:31 am

all is not ever what it seems ..so behind all that swag and confidence was a very troubled soul…RIP

10. beauty

October 29, 2015 at 11:51 am

This is so sad clearly, because there is NOTHING that should make anyone take his/her LIFE… That said, I guess he was depressed and battled some insurmountable issues…It’s sad

11. Yue

October 29, 2015 at 12:54 pm

You know those “hey, how far” people you meet? Say their brother is your friend and he just went like “oh, meet my younger brother” and you both do the “hey, sup” thing whenever you meet on the street? They are not really acquaintances.
    Yea, I lost one. We were not friends, but we spent at least 3minutes saying the “good morning”.
    He was very shy, a little taller than I was. He just left school for hols’ to return to 300level and he just fell sick for a few days and died.
    I didn’t know how to handle it. I don’t know him much, but when he passed away, the memories seemed like a slide show, it still seems like a dream. This happened 2weeks ago, but I’m my heart still breaks when someone asks “when did …. Die?”.
    The thing about those “hey,hi” people is, You never really get to know much more than their name, where they live and that’s it. You never dream of knowing more than that. Prolly in the next two years when you relocate, you’ll have no idea where they are. In or outside Earth?
    The worse is you might just live your whole life still thinking they are alive. You might try describing your previous apartment to your bff at the time and say “oh, you don’t know that my place? Ha! It’s after …. House nau” and unknown to you, …. Is no more.
    It’s really funny how life goes. The most you can do with the time you have is being the best person you can. Ask yourself “being here, doing this, is it my best?” Your attitude leaves memories with people, improve on them.
    Rather than hurt people, let them go.
    If you can’t keep friends, let them go.
    The life is just too short to waste yours or someone else’s.
    Xoxo.

12. mary

October 29, 2015 at 4:06 pm

this is so sad, may his soul rest in peace. you never know the burden people are carrying. that was not Omoni’s movie. rather he was a lead actor with omoni in Anchor baby, it was Lonzo’s movie

13. lucia

October 29, 2015 at 4:19 pm

Why will a 40years old man jump off the bridge and commit suicide! Hmmm! When you have Christ and the Holy Spirit living inside you,you have this joy like a river! I am a woman who is going to be 40 next year,not married but I have a lot going on my life professionally and I am so happy that I have come to understand my worth and not even settling for anything in marriage but believe God because now my standards are even higher for the man I want! I currently live in the Western world! I wake up better everyday because I look around me and help others who are down with encouraging words!because you might save a life! The worst thing that can happen is having the feeling of nothingness after you have accomplished so much just because one thing is missing! It is so sad when people say somebody that has committed suicide should rest in peace,when the person took away the gift of life with their own hands,so how can they rest in peace?

• Ona

October 29, 2015 at 6:05 pm

Ure very insensitive and ur post was actually quite confusing; one minute ure feeling sorry for those in a dark place, the next minute ure questioning their guts and then gloating about ur so-called wonderful life. How would u like if someone asked u why a 40 yr old like u isnt married yet and have no kids? Yet , even worse , u are here asking a mental challenged person why he took his life?! Why not ask a schizophrenic person running around stark naked talking to themselves why they are naked? Can they help it? People are sympathizing and trying to raise awareness about mental illness and ure here telling us about ur wonderful life. Please educate urself about the ills of depression/mental illness so u can better understand that its a real mentally crippling disease. Just because u dont understand something or never experienced it dont mean u should shun or rebuke those suffering from it. The least u could do is sympathize or zip it!

• lucia

October 29, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Ona I guess you must be mentally challenged to come and say the rubbish you said! My dear I am not 40 yet but will soon be by next year and I am very happy that at my age I do not have children because I am not ready and it is my decision! He took his life and he is in eternal damnation already so how am I insensitive? Am I the person that killed him! Ok go and sympathize with Judas Iscariot now! I wrote my story to give those reading this and are struggling hope! I will not sympathize with anybody who decides to end their own life! Please if you are schizophrenic then let the power of the Holy Ghost deliver you!If you are depressed then I release God’s peace that passes every understanding into your life! Don’t get me wrong I will sympathize for people that die as in die! But I do not have any sympathy for anybody who takes their own life! Because if you ask me it’s selfishness! If they think about their loved ones and their family members they will not decide to kill themselves! Yes I am happy about my life and the joy of the Lord will continue to flow like a river in my soul and I wish you same !

• Cocolette

October 30, 2015 at 11:59 am

Lucia u are actually not giving anyone hope with this your comment. What is “why will a 40year old jump off the bridge and commit suicide”?! Because he just felt ‘I’ve accomplished all my dreams in life, why dnt i just jump off a blasted bridge”… that’s why ?. Ona is right with all she said, u are being an insensitive ‘christian’ , i doubt u let the holyspirit direct your utterance

14. jwezee

October 29, 2015 at 6:39 pm

The Peace that passeth all understanding only GOD can give.. That the mystery the world is yet to understand.. That the Lord takes our Burdens and makes them lite … I look around me and I see people going thru half of what I am going thru and they feel like giving up and me am here with gladness in my hear and knowing GOD is always faithful to his WORD…point is people need GOD a more better relationship with him makes life a whole lot easier

15. Mabel

October 29, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Well, what I have learned in my short time on this strange as hell planet is that not everybody enjoys life or desires a physical existence. Yes, there are people who struggle with varied issues that may lead to suicide, from money troubles, relationship troubles, health problems etc. Life is not easy for anybody and many people just exist until their expiry date is reached. As always, it is the family and loved ones who suffer the most when something like this happens, but he is a man of 40, if he decides to damage his vessel to end the physical experience then so be it. I hope he finds the peace in his death that he could not find here on earth.

16. bisisexy

October 29, 2015 at 10:29 pm

This is what I hate the most, this is what happens always when pple die enough praises, but when dey are alive nobody cares, every one is asking that he Shld have told some one, when every one knows how fake pple are,if u tell them ur secret they begin to ridicule or look down on u,any one depressed Shld talk to God or try jisting ur parents or friends abt ur self but say it’s some body else story

17. Rome

October 30, 2015 at 12:48 am

Peace be with him now. Good guy. I will carry on his legacy for the dark skinned brothers now. RIP

18. Educate

October 30, 2015 at 6:34 am

Pls @ lucia i wont b mad at u cz u are not enlightened in this area of mental health. But pls depression and mental illness dat lead to suicide is no joke. I relate with this pple everyday and maybe if i didnt i prbly will talk d way u jst did. But really people who r depressed to d point of dying by suicide dnt necessarily have d “luxury” of d peace u have. Dnt judge dem. Dis guy is dead fr a reason. Maybe jst as simple as nt hvn a supprtive system dat dint judge him. What we say to people and how we relate with dem might be d difference between what keeps dem alive or otherwise. PS mentally sick is not alanguage u thrw around any how. #endthestigma

19. Amaqqs

October 30, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Profound….. One of those mysteries of life…. Same thought have gone through my mind…. Especially at times like when we were graduating from secondary school and you tell yourself that you might never meet again with some of these people you’ve spent the last 6 years in the closest proximity with…. #sigh…..

• Amaqqs

October 30, 2015 at 2:57 pm

*thoughts

20. Love is real

October 30, 2015 at 9:05 pm

God will never leave you nor forsake you. Believe me,I have been there ….that dark place of hopelessness where i even tried to commit suicide but it was God who saved me by His Grace and taught me that as long as i am here on this earth ,my life matters.. Please remember that life may not be so rosy for you but the fact that you bring joy into people’s lives means you are very very special .Instead of focusing on all the wrong and negative things in your life,why don’t you get yourself a journal and write down all the positive things about your life and you will see how much God has been good to you. There is always blessings on the other side of pain..Turn your tests into testimonies that will bless someone out there and know that God loves you so much and it is for this reason that the enemy is so mad at you. Don’t give up. #FightForU..