Features

Wandoo Ityavyar: Go Vegan Because W.H.O Says Meat Causes Cancer

Wandoo Ityavyar

The World Health Organization (WHO) has determined that eating processed meat and red meat is just as much of a cancer risk as smoking cigarettes.  WHO went on to say that each 50 gram portion of processed meat (or red meat) eaten daily increases the risk of colorectal cancer by 18% and the risk continues to increase with the amount of meat consumed.  The article released by WHO states that this is not to say that the general populace should give up meat altogether. {Click here to read.} But isn’t this a bit of a contradiction? What good is smoking cigarettes in moderation?

Granted I am already vegan, so I might be a tad biased, but when you take an honest look around and see families who are stricken by cancer, meat really does lose its appeal. In society today, we are so used to seeing people get afflicted with various diseases as they grow older and we think that this is normal. When you do some research and find lots of people thriving even in their older years, you will discover that all these people have one thing in common, they live a predominantly plant based life style( e.g. the 100 year old vegan heart surgeon, Annette Larkins, Mimi Kirk, Karyn Calabrese and many others).

Veganism always gets the side eye. People assume it’s only for hipsters trying to get on the latest trend. Veganism is in no shape or form a trend/fad diet. Some examples of fad diets are: Low Carb, Atkins, Mediterranean and Gluten Free diet. This is not to say that gluten free is entirely useless.  A lot of people experience positive changes like weight loss, better digestion, and clearer skin when they go gluten free.
Here’s why: these days wheat which was formerly a wholesome ancient grain is now heavily processed and genetically modified. When people talk about carbs, they are often talking about bread, pastries, cakes and cookies made with white flour. As we all know white flour is what you get after you remove all the fiber and nutrients from wheat. What you are left with is a Frankenstein food that has no nutritional value, therefore it has to be fortified before companies can morally justify calling it food.

So you see when you cut out wheat from your diet and go for whole grain gluten free products, this can be a good thing. Also gluten free options are not always readily available, so when you do go gluten free, you have less bad food options, so you would unconsciously start to add more whole grains, vegetables and fruits to your diet. Again, this is not to throw shade at people who are gluten free because there are some people with an acute allergy to wheat. These people are referred to as having celiac disease. So far I have only met one person in my life with this condition. Celiac disease is no joke. When someone who has celiac disease eats from a plate that once contained wheat, they might very well end up in a hospital with a deadly allergic reaction.

However, given the percentage of celiac cases in the world- the gluten free issue pales in comparison to the discussion about whether to consume meat or not.  Once you eat whole grains, you are good. Cutting meat out of your diet on the other hand can be just as easy. It is important to look at Veganism in terms of what you are gaining.  About a year ago I visited Veggie Victory in Freedom Park with my parents. Veggie Victory is a vegan restaurant, the first of its kind in Lagos, Nigeria. We ordered a wide spread of jollof rice, beans, plantains, burgers, vegan suya and efo riro. Everything tasted so good and my parents both admitted that they could eat this food every day and not miss meat. They have since become about 90% vegan.

All tastes are acquired and for starters you can definitely tweak veganism to your taste based on the foods you currently eat. I find that I have gained more diversity in my diet since I went vegan. My options are limitless: pounded yam, jollof rice, injera (ethopian food), hummus, vegetable sushi, pad thai, curries, roasted vegetables, plantains, tofu (awara) steaks,  smoothies . . .I could literally go on forever, but you get the picture. All you need to do is try veganism for one week, you never know- it just might catch on.

After all is said and done, what is your take on the World Health Organization’s statement about the fact that meat is carcinogenic? When it comes to meat, are you literally ride or die? Do you think you would survive one week of veganism if you decide to give it a try? Let me know in the comments down below.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Innovatedcaptures

How do you find the vegan in the room? Don’t worry, they will freaking tell you! Or at least Wandoo will. Wandoo is an evangelical vegan who believes that everybody should be vegan, for the people, the animals and the planet. She is also a material minimalist. When she is not experimenting in her vegan kitchen, she dreams of moving to Thailand and back packing across the globe. Follow her for recipes and more @vegansofnigeria on instagram

1. Owl

October 29, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Vegans rule!

October 30, 2015 at 3:43 am

I know right! How awesome would it be if everyone went vegan,we would literally rule the world. It’s amazing, but what most people don’t know is that about 90% grains produced at least in the the US are used on animals raised for consumption. And according to Peta.org, 55% of the water in the US is used on animal agriculture and only 5% used for domestic purposes. For instance, take the drought in California, experts suggest taking shorter showers, flushing the toilet less etc to fix the problem but animal agriculture is actually what is tying up most of the water. Same with world hunger, if everyone went vegan, we would have enough food to feed every last soul on this planet..

• Ada Nnewi

October 30, 2015 at 5:26 pm

All I see is a carb overload!!!!

October 31, 2015 at 3:42 am

We as a race are essentially carbivores so to speak. I think most people have carbophobia because they have picked up the bad habit of eating for different nutrients as opposed to treating nutrition as a whole. All whole foods are perfect foods that contain all the vitamins our bodies needs. Once you eat a variety of foods, you will not be deficient. Don’t aim for an apple a day. Eat the whole damn rainbow.
      Why is carbohydrate such a dirty word? Vegetables and fruits are carb’s mvps. That’s why many vegan doctors are not supplement pushers. Why take calcium pills when you can have broccoli? B12 is really the only nutrient gotten from animal protein. But a lot products like non diary milk are fortified, so animal protein is not an exclusive source of B12. The truth is, people like to hear good news about their bad habits. Unfortunately vegan is what it is. You cannot eat your cake and have it. Actually wait a minute, you can. vegan cake actually tastes delicious. I believe there is a Whole grain fat free vegan brownie recipe on the engine 2 diet website. An amazing website that advocates eating a high carb low fat diet. You should really check it out.
      engine2diet.com/recipes/

2. Californiabawlar

October 29, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Oh yeah? How do I feel about it? I have no feelings towards such news my dear. Of which, that’s how I met a former vegan who has transitioned to raw diet…his final goal is to train his body to only get energy from the sun (read photosynthesize) ??

Meanwhile, Breaking News: UNICEF has declared that living is the number one cause of death.

• Anon

October 29, 2015 at 10:58 pm

Mehn! I am usually a ghost reader, but I had say this: I literally fell off my chair while reading your comment. Thinking of it Sef is still cracking me up. I better shush before my flatmates come check on me….

October 30, 2015 at 3:58 am

That’s a good one. Aha! #thestruggle from vegan to raw to breatharian. Yeah breatharians are a little too eat pray love for me too. I gotta eat man.

And Unicef has a point though lol. You have to be alive to actually die. Although, I think on a deeper level we all know that meat isn’t the healthiest thing for us on the planet, that’s why people always bring in the moderation talk when the conversation comes up. As long as your diet is not based solely off of meat then you are good. Regardless of our dietary persuasions, I believe we can agree with W.H.O that processed meats are highly carcinogenic and red meat is probably carcinogenic. They haven’t touched fish just yet so its supposedly a healthier option.

• Fashionista

October 30, 2015 at 9:52 am

LMAO! its official, californiabawlar is unwell! Im fully with you o jare!

3. Teehee

October 29, 2015 at 10:10 pm

4. Anon

October 29, 2015 at 10:28 pm

“but when you take an honest look around and see families who are stricken by cancer, meat really does lose its appeal..” Are you trying to say all the families who are stricken by cancer got cancer because of over-consumption of meat?

“When people talk about carbs, they are often talking about bread, pastries, cakes and cookies made with white flour. ” Not really. How about rice, potatoes, maize, cereal…?

“these days wheat which was formerly a wholesome ancient grain is now heavily processed and genetically modified.” Not all wheat is genetically modified. Not all wheat goes through extensive hybridisation. For those who are worried about the type of wheat they use and aren’t sure if it is GMO, mixing it with flax seed meal helps. There are other types of foods that are more GMed than flour, like tomatoes for example.

A few years ago, I cut red meat out of my diet and I ended up with low iron, calcium and vitamin D. My GP told me to eat meat at least once a week.

A colleague of mine recovered from breast cancer. She was a health freak.. I told her, surely not you. Too healthy. She’s now stocking up on meat (lean meat.) Her Vitamin D levels were very low too.

I’m not big on processed meat. I make my own burgers but will occasionally buy frankfurters, gammon and bacon. We can eat anything but in moderation. It’s also good to cook meat very well. I can’t eat meat that drips with blood like most of my colleagues. I even boil my frankfurters, bacon and gammon first to get rid of most of the salt. Some types of sodium products used to preserve meat are the carcinogenic elements in meat.

Cynics/conspiracy theorists are saying this is a ploy by the kosher and halal adherents to get people to stop eating pork!

A balanced diet is key. An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

• Mabel

October 29, 2015 at 11:31 pm

Some people medically have to consume meat or their bodies will not function properly. My ex-boss was vegan for 16 yrs and went back to meat a couple years ago. Many ppl are going to jump on the anti-meat bandwagon, but drink water from plastic bottles, another leading cause of cancer, not to mention microwaving their food in plastic dish or with plastic wrap which also releases carcinogen into the food. I don’t even want to touch on the high levels of estrogen found in women’s beauty products which contribute to cancer, particularly hormone induced cancers. I think you are playing it right, moderation is the key to everything. and regular exercise.

October 30, 2015 at 4:47 am

I hear you Mabel. You are indeed right. It does seem like everything causes cancer these days, but here’s the thing: We live in a very toxic society, that is why it is very important to keep our internal environment pure. And by that I mean that the more animal protein you consume, the less resistance you have towards diseases. Take for instance some studies done by prolific vegan researcher Colin T Campbell. “He conducted a study in India to explain the correlation between animal protein and carcinogens. Carcinogens are cancer causing substances. He found that rats who were injected with the carcinogen (aflatoxin) who were fed a diet consisting of 5% protein did not show any symptoms of liver cancer. The other half, however, who had equal amounts of aflatoxin introduced into their system and who ate a diet of 20% protein developed liver cancer. As Colin advanced in his career he replicated the study on humans and found that no matter the carcinogen or toxic material which happens to get into the body, a low protein whole food plant diet had the power to nullify the effects.”

Please feel free to read my fill article http://www.bellanaija.com/2015/08/28/wandoo-ityavyar-lets-talk-about-proteins/ or if you get a chance read the book the china study, or you can watch fork over knives or cowspiracy on netflix. All very informative.Literally type vegan in the search box on netflix and you will marvel at what comes up

• Miss Meaty

October 30, 2015 at 12:45 am

God bless you. I was told I have microcytosis and low iron early this year because i cut red meat for 3years. I happily eat meat a couple of times a week now and i buy uncured nitrate free bacon once in a while. Moderation is key really. I am a chemist and let me tell you a lot of things can give you cancer. the chemicals in your soap, lotion, shampoo, the sun, the air you breath has all sorts of industrial emissions. Plants are not totally safe either, there are so many chemicals that leak into our soil and get into our food. Nope no vegan here. meat eater forever.

October 30, 2015 at 4:55 am

I know right. Our soil is repeatedly compromised by oil spills and our water. Our planet in general is big trouble. If I browsed through your comment in a haste, I could think it was written by a vegan activist, because we are literally saying the same thing. Conserve the trees, feed people with the grain, not factory animals, fight companies ruining our planet. . .
      I’m with you on all counts, but bacon is where I draw the line. You heard W.H.O and personally when it comes to meat, I do believe that moderation is like spraying gasoline on a fire.

October 30, 2015 at 4:38 am

Actually I would say that. About 80% of the medical problems people have are caused by poor nutrition. The power of food cannot be over stated. Even doctors usually look at ways to change your diet and lifestyle before any other radical procedure. If you have a minute, read my article about proteins. I really touch on the effect of cancer and excessive animal protein.
      bellanaija.com/2015/08/28/wandoo-ityavyar-lets-talk-about-proteins/

I know right. You are obviously doing something right, since those are the carbs that come to mind for you. Sadly, that is not the case with most people, especially in America.

To be honest, when I can get organic to buy- I do. But frankly I don’t lose sleep over it. Have you ever heard of someone who died from GMO disease? And scientists haven’t come up with a conclusive side effect of consuming gmos. As a vegan, I’m more concerned about the amount of cholesterol in meat which can eventually lead to a heart attack, among other diseases of affluence. Excessive consumption of plant oils too is problematic. I have no problem with consuming whole wheat however. As long as your diet is natural and full of whole grains, fruit and vegetables, you are definitely taking steps in the right direction.

Again back to the protein discussion. The Food and Nutrition Board in America recommend a diet consisting of 10% protein. And as long as you are consuming enough calories, you are getting enough protein. Literally everything has protein. Ugwu leaves, guavas, lettuce, tomatoes, peanuts, . . . seriously everything. Also iron is a very tricky nutrient. I know a lot people who have one concern or the other with it. Here’s the thing, even before I went vegan, my body had trouble absorbing iron and I find that lot of my friends who do regular blood checks have said their doctor told them the same thing. Frankly its not something I’m not worried about, its a trait I have in my blood cells that inhibit the absorption of iron. It’s something I always watch for and make sure to get enough broccoli and whatever greens on hand. I’m guessing you have a similar concern. Yeah you can definitely get all your nutrients from a plant based diet. I have been vegan 2 years and done regular blood checks, and my doctor always gives me the high 5. My vitals are perfect. Yes even iron, B12 and calcium.

• Anon

October 30, 2015 at 3:55 pm

my body had trouble absorbing iron and I find that lot of my friends who do regular blood checks have said their doctor told them the same thing…..just a small group of people. Different strokes for different folks.

Wandoo, you are throwing a lot of inaccuracies here all in a bid to throw being a vegan in our faces.

Actually I would say that. About 80% of the medical problems people have are caused by poor nutrition…..do you have the stats to back this up? Is this empirical or anecdotal?
      Actually, I have the stats at hand – 80% of premature heart disease, 80% of type 2 diabetes cases and 40% of cancers. Getting an average of the 3 is far below your 80%.

Here are some quotes –
      1. “Vegans Are Deficient in Many Important Nutrients (Loss of essential vitamins and minerals)
      2. There Are No Studies Showing That They’re Better Than Other Diets
      3. Proponents of Vegan Diets Use Lies and Fear Mongering to Promote Their Cause.
      4. Vegan Diets May Work in The Short Term, For Other Reasons
      5. There is NO Health Reason to Completely Avoid Animal Foods.”

Final quote – “But don’t use fear mongering and scare tactics to persuade people to join your cause and scare them away from perfectly healthy animal foods. That ain’t cool.”

BTW, I live in the Western world too, so the first thing that comes to our minds when we think of carbs are rice, potatoes etc. Not bread, cakes and pastries.

• Moshe

October 30, 2015 at 7:47 am

Question, do Hindu Indians get diagnosed with Cancer? Yes! And most have never tasted meat in their entire life. Grasping at straws and labelling all processed foods as cancer trigger agents is not anything WHO or any other medical body can 100% claim as being responsible for cancer. I guess a statement needed to be made for all the millions dollars funding that goes into cancer research. Not buying their bullocks!

October 31, 2015 at 4:32 am

Well Moshe, you are right. But here’s the thing: People like to hear good news about their bad habits, but unfortunately W.H.O is not the organization for the job. There are a lot of lobbyists for the meat and diary industry that prevent research like this from being published, but by an act of God, this study has been published.
      Also the most believable thing about veganism is that there’s no product pushing. The vegan movement isn’t trying to get rich from selling tons of broccoli. Produce farmers in America aren’t as organised as the meat industry. This message is put out by a group of thoughtful individuals who care about their fellow humans and the environment, no strings attached.

“WHO went on to say that each 50 gram portion of processed meat eaten daily increases the risk of colorectal cancer by 18% and the risk continues to increase with the amount of meat consumed.”
      Seems like an absolute to me. And btw Hindus are vegetarian not vegan. Milk is just as bad for you as meat, some researchers would even argue that it is worse for you than meat. Basically meat compromises your immune system and makes you more susceptible to diseases.

October 31, 2015 at 4:18 am

As the German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer says, all truth goes through three steps:
      First, it is ridiculed
      Second, it is violently opposed
      Finally, it is accepted as self- evident

As a vegan Nigerian, I do not expect anything less than being labelled a heretic. Veganism is a relative new concept in Nigeria. And gosh. I follow the works of many vegan scholars, my apologies. I was just trying to type off a quick response. I follow the physicians at prcm. Colin T Campbell of the China Study, Cadwell Esselstyn of Preventing an Reversing Heart Disease, Dr John McDougall of the Starch Solution and many others. Also in case you are interested, I have book reviews of these people up on goodreads so you can get a sense of the benefits of veganism and what not. I really recommend picking up all or one of the above mentioned books

Also about the quotes, I’m really happy that you are very curious about the vegan lifestyle and have read enough about it to come up with quotes, but anybody with wifi and a device can just google randomly and come up with figures from some random website.

And I’m afraid healthy and animal protein is a bit of an oxymoron. And quite frankly the prove is in the beans. If meat especially red meat was so good for you, why do doctors cut it out of heart patients diet ? And why do people insist on lean beef? What’s wrong with the fat? Do you think that communities who have been found to live the longest do so because of their genes? Nope because they eat a predominantly plant based diet.

Btw the fact that my sample size of people wasn’t large enough for you, does not make my observation inaccurate. If you are engaged in the world of nutrition, you would know that iron deficiency is not hard to come by. Ask people around, ask doctors you know. With all the intelligent ideas you are coming up with, I know you are one researcher yourself 😉

And if say brown rice and sweet potatoes were the first thing that comes to peoples minds when they think of carbs, what is so frightening about those complex carbs. Trust me, if this was the case, there wouldn’t be an epidemic of obesity in America.

5. Blah blah

October 29, 2015 at 10:41 pm

I have been patiently waiting for the vegan ninjas to come out! Honey, predominantly plant based doesn’t mean veganism. It means 70-80 percent plant foods and 20-30% animal foods. So maybe have meat only twice a week. Honesty, veganism is a fad. How many vegans have transitioned back to vegetarianism or pescetarianism because their bodies were not getting all the nutrients they need? Many! And all these meatless meat, meat style meat, chicken less chicken you guys do. I mean if you don’t want to eat meat why do you crave the texture? You hear omg it looks like meat and tastes like meat. That’s crap. How many of these things are natural? Chemical laden textured style beef and what not. Give it up totally.
    I am personally giving up red meat. I thought chicken was the answer but after watching videos of packaged chickens being injected with steroids and all sorts of chemicals to make them weigh more, frozen chicken is out the window. With GMOs and pesticides and all sorts of chemicals going into our foods people would keep dying unless we individually adopt a farm to table diet. Fresh, organic produce. E go hard sha.

October 30, 2015 at 5:12 am

You are right. Predominantly doesn’t ultimately translate into vegan but boy, I gotta tell you most of the people I research had that label though vegan. Although the people of okinawa I would argue are around 90% plant based.

The major reason people fail on a plant based diet is because they do not consume enough calories. Plant based foods are lower in calories, so you often need more because the calorie count is less, especially if you a raw vegan.

And I certainly don’t speak for all vegans but, I would say some vegans are ethical vegans. They like the taste of meat, but they don’t want to harm animals- so they go for fake meats. Other vegans also like the taste of meat, but do not fancy all the cholesterol that comes along with it, so again they go for the fake meat. Personally I think there’s no point of going vegan and still eating the same things you used to eat when you were an omnivore. A big part of veganism is about caring for yourself, so you have to clean up your diet. But ironically in all that processed fake meat as horrible as it is, is better for you than the real deal.

And gmos are not amazing, but they won’t kill you. Have you ever heard of someone who died from gmo disease? I didn’t think so. As long as your cholesterol is low and you keep your consumption of plant oils to a bare minimum, you reduce your risk of getting diabetes, heart disease, cancer etc

6. ...just saying

October 29, 2015 at 11:14 pm

There’s chicken and lots of fish bro. Besides, veggies also have thei own cons…you need to be careful eating vegetables such as lettuce, cucumber etc that are not organic else, the pesticides used on them are worse than any type of meat

7. demashi

October 29, 2015 at 11:19 pm

“An international panel of experts convened by the World Health Organization concluded Monday that eating processed meat like hot dogs, ham and bacon raises the risk of colon cancer and that consuming other red meats “probably” raises the risk as well. But the increase in risk is so slight that experts said most people should not be overly worried about it”

Dear Vegan, that’s a quote from New York times article therefore I won’t be overtly worried about it.

October 30, 2015 at 5:24 am

Ahhh. I have to say, I’m very impressed that you are so passionate about the subject matter that you did some research of your own. In many ways we are all searching for the same thing- good health.
      I see the New York times, but then unfortunately this is the age of the internet and its not uncommon for even networks like CNN to retract stories. They get the general gist, but their quote is a little watered down. I have a direct link to the W.H.O article, so you can take a look for yourself. iarc.fr/en/media-centre/pr/2015/pdfs/pr240_E.pdf I also linked this to my original article, the New York times one must have been a mistake
      Processed meat= highly carcinogenic
      Red meat= probably carcinogenic

So there you have it. Whether or not you cut processed meat or red meat out of your diet, that part of the story I agree is subjective.

8. ATL's finest

October 29, 2015 at 11:33 pm

I hear Una .. I don’t eat meat a lot but I LOVE my baked Fish .. So maybe next life, I’d be a Vegan

October 30, 2015 at 5:31 am

Hahahahah..Yeah that’s the animal product that is doing a number on my parents too. They have given it all up, except for their fish. Seriously though, where there’s a will, there’s a way. I used to eat a lot meat when I was a teenager, even though I still loved my veggies. If you had told my mom, that I’d be vegan a few years later, she would have laughed in your face. Moral of the story: never say never. You can do it!

9. Tolu

October 30, 2015 at 12:09 am

Actually, red meat is a risk factor for several cancers including prostate, colorectal (colon), stomach, bladder and pancreatic cancers.
    For those of us who enjoy red meat, we should choose smaller, leaner portions and keep some days of the week red meat free.
    It is recommended that individuals consume no more than 500g of cooked red meat a week or less if possible.
    It is not so much as the meat but rather the method of cooking. When red meat is cooked at very high temperatures (as with frying, grilling, broiling at very high temperatures) it leads to some chemicals being released.
    These chemicals may cause cancer.
    Processed meat is definitely a no-no.
    Instead of eating processed meat (bacon, hotdog, salami, e.t.c) go for fish or poultry. Also it is better to eat poultry without the skin.
    More light has been shed on this here (1.usa.gov/1GUtLFu)
    I hope this helps.
    Cheers.

October 31, 2015 at 4:38 am

Very nice! You are absolutely right. The one thing I will add is that poultry isn’t necessarily better. Some researchers argue that fish might be, but if you are looking for omega 3 fatty acids- God bless flax seeds. Humans will always be their optimum on a plant based diet.

10. Bee

October 30, 2015 at 1:19 am

“An international panel of experts convened by the World Health Organization concluded Monday that eating processed meat like hot dogs, ham and bacon raises the risk of colon cancer and that consuming other red meats “probably” raises the risk as well. But the increase in risk is so slight that experts said most people should not be overly worried about it.”

I think you probably should go read the WHO article again y’all because it doesn’t make as deadly a conclusion as this article suggests…

October 31, 2015 at 4:42 am

iarc.fr/en/media-centre/pr/2015/pdfs/pr240_E.pdf This the actual article by W.H.O

“The experts concluded that each 50 gram portion of processed meat eaten daily increases the risk of colorectal cancer by 18%.”
      This is a direct quote from the article. For processed meat, it absolutely does cause cancer and the percentages go up as the amount of consumption increases.

11. Admirer

October 30, 2015 at 1:48 am

I admire your conviction and like everything in life, I believe if you believe it strongly, you will it into existence. So do you and do you well. I recently learnt that that discomfort you feel because someone else is making a different choice from you, is because you don’t entirely feel comfortable with your choice. That being said, as long as you’re in alignment with yourself – vegan, vegetarian, or chop all – we’ll all be A okay. It’s easy to jump on a band wagon , sometimes it helps you find purpose and makes life worth living … But be true to you! I will eat meat in moderation … I also have an occasional cig too …

October 31, 2015 at 4:50 am

Definitely respect your conviction too. To each his own ai. Although I think you have misinterpreted veganism. One very common saying among vegans is that the only thing I regret about being vegan is that I didn’t do it sooner. How can you not share such a great secret that isn’t a secret after all. I hate to see people afflicted by nasty diseases in their old age. I hate to see youth die. I am bothered by the global warming and destruction that has come upon our planet. We can change most of this by changing our diet. I see pigs as pets and dogs too. People get upset about the Yulin fesitival in China, but not bacon. Bacon is pretty awesome.

12. Bowl

October 30, 2015 at 2:49 am

In the end , red meat, cholesterol laddened oil , carbonated drinks, excess seasoning etc will not kill you but plenty of garbage knowledge like this post. And very fast at that too.

October 31, 2015 at 4:56 am

You have a sense of humor. Excellent! Even though you aren’t vegan you have one of the antidotes for long life at your disposal 😉
      And if you think that people don’t die from high cholesterol, then you are sorely mistaken. The budget for by bypass surgery just in the US is atrocious.

13. Bolu

October 30, 2015 at 2:56 am

Nicely written and educative. “We ordered a wide spread of jollof rice, beans, plantains, burgers, vegan suya” but do people really consider themselves vegan when they eat these food and especially tofu!?!?!?

October 31, 2015 at 5:01 am

Vegan food
      Food that does not contain meat, fish, or poultry, eggs, or diary products .

Vegan suya is made from tofu/awara which is made from soy beans. Burgers made from the same thing as the vegan suya. So yes, I would consider myself vegan 😉

14. fleur

October 30, 2015 at 4:47 am

This is the problem with blogger journalism. Your opinions risk becoming someone’s fact. Please go and read the WHO risk assessment thoroughly. The meats in question are cured meats. Bacon, sausage. jerky. In Nigeria, we should be worried about Suya, Kpomo, Shaki, smoked fish. smoked bush meat. etc. Think Nitrites oyibo peeps use in Curing meat to preserve it. Think also about the burning of plant products to produce polyaromatic hydrocarbons which are Known carcinogens_ this is soot the black smoky residue on your smoked food. Finally, Think dioxin from the reaction of heat and proteins on animal hide. Dioxin is a class A carcinogen. its not just about meat . its how its processed!

October 31, 2015 at 5:04 am

World Health Organization said red meat is probably and processed meat is highly carcinogenic
      iarc.fr/en/media-centre/pr/2015/pdfs/pr240_E.pdf

In case you’d like to confirm

15. Nuna

October 30, 2015 at 7:35 am

Newsflash: Everything now causes cancer in case you havnt heard, dear poster.

16. miss Pynk

October 30, 2015 at 7:39 am

I have to weigh in on this issue….not dietician or nutritionist will recommend a vegan diet for anybody unless you are suffering from other things. My mom is a certified one and what they preach is a balanced diet. I was a pescetarian for 5 years and bou it didnt do much for me….and this was with nutrionist consent and counselling. When I tried to exercise I was almost near expiration as seafood and plant protein are broken down a lot faster than animal protein. I went back to eating meat and chicken real fast. The catch is not to feed on hotdogs, bacon and co everyday – eba etc are all ok in moderation – serving sizes which is something a lot of us struggle with. As for me and my household we dont buy GMO frozen chicken anymore-but best believe the natural chicken’s are skinner than skinny so its more expensive to be full.

cars cause accidents- didi we stop driving them? Alcohol kills people have we stopped drinking it? All things done in moderation.

Its like when I used to ask my dad what killed someone – his response was “death”…@ the end death must take us all, no need to fear monger.

pynk360.com

October 31, 2015 at 5:17 am

The problem you might have had could be with absorption. I always hear this excuse as a reason why someone went back to eating animals. Unfortunately we are mere mortals and we all have one absorption issue here or a slight disorder there. For example I have been vegan for 2years and my b12 levels are fantastic(says my doctor). My brother on the other hand who eats meat and drinks milk has worrisome levels of b12 and had to supplement because of an absorption issue. So its different with everybody but a predominantly plant diet is optimum for every body. Hell until a few months ago, my dog was vegan.

And totally veganism doesn’t stop a car from knocking you right off the road, so does that mean that while you are on earth you won’t try to be the best version of yourself because today might be your last day? I would think the opposite would be the case. If you are gonna do this life thing, you might as well live to be a 100 and still go jogging. Look at the this youtube.com/watch?v=hGQTpxjbwaM

October 31, 2015 at 5:18 am

youtube.com/watch?v=FX58PyQwrcI

17. peyton

October 30, 2015 at 9:32 am

There is fish, Snails etc. So if we reduce the red meat we can consider those other ones. Snails for example is good meat. There are a whole lot of options before I get to being a vegetarian. The key word is eating healthy having a balanced diet full of all the necessary ingredients. I could never be a vegan aint gonna happen.

18. Magz

October 30, 2015 at 10:01 am

Like someone said in one of the comments above, many things can cause cancer. I studied biochemistry and i have to agree, SEVERAL things can cause cancer. Even if you decide to go vegan, do you have any idea what chemicals they use to grow the plants?
    Everything should be consumed with moderation.

Me, go vegan? Mba! I think my mother, whom everybody has dubbed “the tigeress” (cos of her love for meats, may even disown me if she thinks I’m thinking of going vegan……:D

October 31, 2015 at 5:20 am

Of the things that will kill you, meat will kill you the fastest. Because it essentially robs you of your health.

• Magz

November 2, 2015 at 1:12 pm

No Wandoo, meat will not kill me the fastest! i know people who died as a result of malaria rather than prolonged case of “eating meat”. Meat doesn’t rob people of their health, no, it doesn’t! Over-eating of meat is bad for the health, just like the over-eating of everything else! Smoke inhalation from generators can kill faster than meat, it robs people of their breath! Just because you have chosen to have a belief doesn’t mean those who do not have same belief will die from eating meat! My grandma eats meat regularly, she’s 85years old and still very agile!

19. Exotique

October 30, 2015 at 10:36 am

Vegans. Breatharians. GMOs. Processed meat. As much as I understand that the BN family is diverse and predominantly live or have lived outside Nigeria (?) let us look at this thing from a Naija point of view. I worked for four years in Northern Nigeria helping to combat malnutrition in children and women of childbearing age.. Now I live in Lagos. I have observed that feeding is basic for a large population of people. Only a very small percentage/strata of people in Nigeria need ever worry about GMOs or over consumption of red meat. The average Nigerian woman buys just enough meat/fish to ensure that the food she serves her family at least has ‘something” on top. The emphasis should be on healthy feeding on affordable and varied food items for everyone.
    I hope and pray maternal and child malnutrition begins to get some spotlight. GMOs and over-consumption of processed/red meat will never cause as much short and long term damages as malnutrition has.

October 31, 2015 at 5:30 am

Malnutrition is a very serious issue. And I do honestly hope that it gets the attention it deserves. Eating for health is also really important. The food you eat can either heal or poison your body. Also, I don’t feel like veganism is an elitist concept. Farmers in small villagers have the right idea. They sustain themselves with the organic crops from their farm and often times they skip out on the meat because they can’t afford it. Most people who live this type of lifestyle are a healthy weight and live really long lives. Look to the people of Okinawa.

20. Blessedheart

October 30, 2015 at 10:56 am

I believe in moderation but not omitting anything from diet except for health reasons. The problem I have with vegans is the search for stuff that taste like meat. It simply means you need meat. I can go days without eating meat and I don’t miss it but I think humans are omnivores for a reason.

October 31, 2015 at 5:36 am

You are right. Some vegans eat fake meat because
      1. They are ethical vegans and do not believe in harming another being in order to nourish themselves but still like the taste of meat
      2 Like the taste of meat, but don’t want to consume all that cholesterol meat comes with

21. ThatShyChic

October 30, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Vegan this, Vegan that…. Meh

I believe in moderation, but I love my beef. Cutting red meat out of my diet is a total no… And this is one of those instances where ‘never say never’ doesn’t apply. Can’t stand the smell of most types of white meat. And those funny wanna-be-meat vegan options -_- y’all should stick with chewing grass biko. Why try to replicate meat?

October 31, 2015 at 5:39 am

You’d be surprise at how many people come to the lifestyle because of health reasons or even ethical reasons. Lots of vegans were avid meat eaters, like yours truly. Really never say never. ThatShyChic you sound like a potential vegan 😉

22. CeliacFamily

October 30, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Please be advised that your understanding of Celiac Disease is incorrect. It is not an allergy. It is a VERY serious disease, but a Celiac will not end up in the hospital with a deadly allergic reaction if s/he eats gluten. Celiac is an autoimmune disease where the body attacks itself when the person eats gluten. It can cause hundreds of different symptoms. But it is an intolerance, not an allergy. And, in the US, 1 in 133 (about 1%) of the population has Celiac Disease. So it is NOT so rare. Please do your research prior to publishing information about diseases so as to not mislead people.

• Onyi

October 30, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Actually as well as being regarded as an autoimmune condition, celiac disease is classified as a Non IGE mediated food allergy by immunology and allergy specialists. worldallergy.org/professional/allergic_diseases_center/foodallergy/. It is IGA mediated so it primarily affects the Gi mucosa. Hence the author is not completely wrong in labelling the symptoms experienced following ingestion of gluten by a celiac sufferer an ‘allergic’ reaction.

October 31, 2015 at 5:46 am

1% out of a 100 seems a tad rare to me. Although yes like Onyi said my friend who has celiac disease does react horridly to wheat when she ingests it. Being someone who has suffered from IBS in the past, I know a thing or two about digestive disorders.

23. Idomagirl

October 30, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Kai but ‘healthy eating’ can be expensive sha.

October 31, 2015 at 5:52 am

It doesn’t have to be. Beans and rice are one of the cheapest foods on the planet. Some days I eat for literally $2 with my rice, beans and greens and other days I’m a raw vegan- munching on only fruit and vegetables through the day. Let your wallet take the lead you follow 😉

• thelly

March 8, 2016 at 8:29 pm

You know that hospital bill is really expensive than food. I rather choice food over hospital bill.

24. memebaby

October 30, 2015 at 9:42 pm

something must kill a man…

October 31, 2015 at 5:54 am

You are right. Just do the best you can, and be better every day.