Features

Amarachi Okeh: Truth Lies in the Heart of a Child

I checked my time again it was ten minutes past four. The driver was supposed to have brought my cousin back at most 2 pm because his school closes at 1:30pm. Finally around 4:30pm I heard a knock on the gate. He dropped the 8 year old boy and zoomed off! Without explanation. I called my aunt and told her what time the driver dropped David. She didn’t believe but found excuses for him. She called back. He had told her that he was stuck in the line buying fuel; David was with him all this while in the fuel station but his story contradicted with what David told me.
David had told me he was in school and was among the last five persons left in the school compound with their math teacher. My aunt came back and I asked him to recount his story but he was inconsistent. Fortunately, my aunt believed him: ‘David won’t lie to me.’ After a few more incidents of such lateness and lying which David was always contradicting, the driver was changed.

Here then lies the problem most adults face when deliberating a case between an adult and a child. Who to believe.
This story is likely the story and confusion most parents, adults face. Who do you believe? The small child or the adult? Sometimes, you want to believe the adult so that you don’t insult him and not trust your child because it’s coming from a child’s mouth ’she’s just a child what does she know.’

Perhaps that’s the reason why a lot of children are being sexually and emotionally manipulated by adults and they keep quiet because their parents don’t believe them and only believe them when they see physical evidence. One of the most valuable things a parent can give her child is trust. Hey, don’t get it wrong, it doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t investigate because some children are given to lies and mischievousness just to have their way. Trusting your child is a way of boosting their confidence in you and themselves. Knowing your child and his disposition to telling the truth at all times helps inform you on how truthful she is when she tells you something about an adult.
I saw a meme which once had these words: three people that tell the truth are: a child, a drunk and a mad man.There is always a sort of truth in the word of a child (your child), and it is usually questioned when it involves an adult because one is torn between disrespecting the adult or insulting his credibility and the innocent story of a child who only has his words.

Never look down on a child. As an adult deserves respect so does a child too. Show her a little respect by putting in mind what she has to say to you, never brush off anything she says as the knowledge of a mere child. Consider what she says. Perhaps your inability to believe her is why she never can tell you what that teacher did, or that your cousin or brother or family friend. Because she knows that to you, her words amount to nothing. All her words are stuck with her in her mind until she finds a stranger who will let her know that whatever she says is just as important.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Handmademedia

A media enthusiast. Book lover and big time thinker! I love life, love, laughter, family and fun! Freelance content writer. Can be reached via email [email protected]

1. Okeh onyekachi

November 26, 2015 at 9:29 pm

This is really a powerful article that touches the silent parts of children up bringing…

2. Big Head

November 26, 2015 at 9:59 pm

Too many atimes, our parents play blind to signs of maltreatments; yet they are too quick to get us maids. These maids go ahead to puncture our bags of innocence. We never get these bags mended for how nature has made it. Never. Our parents need to rad this.

Nice one there, Anmarachi.

3. Jojo

November 26, 2015 at 10:00 pm

This article is really helpful as a parent,thanks

4. ELELE CHIMERE

November 26, 2015 at 10:04 pm

Well done dear. This is lovely. Thanks so much

5. Valentine

November 27, 2015 at 6:04 am

This article is absolutely a true fact…Thanks

6. mara

November 27, 2015 at 6:50 am

Ammy, thanks.

7. hephzibah

November 27, 2015 at 8:19 am

God bless you for sharing this,I pray the Lord gives us wisdom in knowing how to bond with our children amen

8. Chydee

November 27, 2015 at 9:24 am

Awesome hun.I am proud of you 🙂

9. Onye

November 27, 2015 at 10:48 am

I remember when I was a child, a friend of mine lied and said I cut her hair. Her mom came to confront me &n my mom at the school. I kept saying I didn’t do it & my mom said I would never lie to her. So if I said I didn’t do it, then I didn’t do it. When the girl knew she wouldn’t get away with the lie, she the changed her story and said it was her nanny that did it. At the time, I was hurt because she was my friend. But, looking back, I wonder what she was going through.

10. titi

November 27, 2015 at 11:11 am

Cool article!thank u for throwing light to this adult=truth syndrome!

11. Jackson

November 27, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Nice one Amy, very simple that I don’t need a dictionary to understand..

12. Amuda Slimchi

November 27, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Amy this is a wonderful work…Thanks for reaching out to the parents and future parents with this article…It will offer a lot to the society, parents & children…kudos dear

13. cleo

November 27, 2015 at 12:41 pm

As a child my mother usually scolded seriously and sometimes flogged us when we said anything in contrary to what our older ones(sisters, brothers, nanny, uncles, aunty said). TIll now i am hurt when i remember such moments. And the older ones used advantage of that to twist scenarios to their favor. I find it a wrong way to raise a child.
    Once a child has lost freedom of expression, it is a foundation for low self esteem and timidity.
    As present day parents i advice we should not make that mistake with our children. Study your child. ANd know their tendencies. You will be able to know when he is likely to lie.

14. O'BLe

November 27, 2015 at 4:05 pm

A very nice piece Amara.
    Keep doing what you know how to do best..

15. Chisom

November 27, 2015 at 9:23 pm

wow Amy that’s a good one,your article is a true one and that’s why the rate of abuse in Nigeria especially is high, am proud of who you have become, more grace dear

16. Patrick

November 27, 2015 at 10:18 pm

Nice article. Thank you Amara. Keep it up.

17. Abasi mbok

November 28, 2015 at 10:40 am

As a child, my mother never believed anything I said. Of things that happened in school or at home. It hurt me then, still does now. I wasn’t the most mischievous of the lot. Maybe as the last child…I don’t know. Thankfully I wasn’t sexually abused. She would have shot it down in a jiffy. My dad on the other hand, an ever ready listener. Whether I was making sense or not. God rest his soul. This just teaches me not to be my mother when it comes to my children!

18. Saint Victor EZEOBI

November 30, 2015 at 11:57 am

A nice one!
    I am much impressed though not surprised. Please keep it up.

19. Taiwo Adejoro

December 1, 2015 at 8:13 am

thumbs up. nice one.
    keep it up.

20. abutu Batholomew

December 1, 2015 at 8:21 pm

Wow! This is totally out of this world… I’m proud of you my friend. Thumbs up!

21. Emmanuella ukaoma

December 9, 2015 at 11:30 am

This is inspirational dear, keep it up

22. okazu powers

January 5, 2016 at 5:01 pm

What a great inspirational and life changing lecture from a brilliant mind..Kudos to you and keep it up dear