News

Nigerian-American School Bus Driver Lauded as Hero After Evacuating Children from Burning Vehicle

BellaNaija.com

Sammy newA Nigerian-American school bus driver named Sammy Agunbiade, is being called a hero after he successfully evacuated some school children from the bus he was driving, shortly before the bus burst into flames.

The incident occurred at the Houston Spring Branch Independent school district in Houston, Texas, abc 7 News reports.

Speaking on the incident and the recognition he has received as a result, Agunbiade says:

“They’re calling me a hero. I said hero? I just did what I was supposed to do you guys are mine I’m supposed to take care of you…

I just noticed a pop when we got up Westview. First we thought it was the kids in the back making noises. I wasn’t sure what it was so I it’s slowing down. Then I see smoke coming from the back of the tailpipe of the bus.. then a smell. I called into the bus yard to tell them what was going on. I told the kids we need to get out…Smoke had to started building up quicker and quicker.

I rushed all 30 kids off the bus just before it went up in flames, and then got a fire extinguisher.

I was trying to see if I could put it out because it was a little flame. I was surprised and I was shocked when the fire came up.

…I’m not only glad I was blessed. I was happy because some of those kids I’ve been driving them for the last three years. They are just like my own.”

Photo Credit: abc7

1. Yea yea

November 25, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Awesome. Very nice ending, seems like a very good person.

2. OD

November 25, 2015 at 2:50 pm

God bless you man for saving those kids. At least we have a good news about a Nigerian for once. Not those ones misrepresenting us. Keep it up man.

3. Ese_sleek

November 25, 2015 at 2:59 pm

To God be all the Glory…
    well done sir

4. DatEnuguChic

November 25, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Waooow thank God for everything. I have three Children who go to and fro school with the school bus and each time i bid them byes in the morning, i offer a little prayer under my breath and ask God to keep them safe. Thank God for wisdom and safety. God please keep our Children safe Amen.

5. chi-e-z

November 25, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Thank goodness aww he sounds like such a lovely and blessed peron. I’mm glad everyone is safe. when I saw it on the news they never said his name so I had no clue he was nigerian just glad everyone is safe.

6. Gerrard59

November 25, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Touching story.

Somebody like this deserve an award. Wish you the very best in your endeavors. Goes to show that in anything you do, do it well.

7. BIBO

November 25, 2015 at 3:27 pm

To God be the glory……
    Great Job sir

8. nonso

November 25, 2015 at 4:24 pm

He better oh before they say na Nigerian man kill little kids…

9. Seld Preservation

November 25, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Always a pleasure to hear good things about Nigerians in the press, though i sincerely hope he has his papers complete oh

10. Tosin

November 25, 2015 at 6:07 pm

Awww, I love Nigeria and Nigerians.

11. Joke

November 25, 2015 at 9:32 pm

I appreciate what he did, however, I also see probably a middle class Nigerian coming to the US for a better life. However, he has become a bus driver, something he wouldn’t even have considered back home.. Another rerouted life to “serve” Americans. God help us.

• Swerve

November 25, 2015 at 11:47 pm

And what’s your point exactly? Do you know the man or his circumstances? before coming to spout generalizations here.

12. Joke

November 25, 2015 at 9:37 pm

13. nnana

November 25, 2015 at 10:19 pm

Well I guess he won’t have such a job if his papers ain’t complete.driving a school bus will require them probably doing a background check.