News

Obasanjo Lauds GEJ for a Successful Handover to Buhari

BellaNaija.com

GEJ and OBJ

In a letter to former president Goodluck Jonathan, Olusegun Obasanjo offered words of encouragement, and also congratulated him on the successful handover to current president Muhammadu Buhari.

According to Vanguard, Obasanjo wrote the letter in response to another letter sent by Jonathan in which he revealed plans to start a foundation through which he would continue to service humanity.

Obasanjo’s reply to GEJ, dated October 12, 2015,  reads:

I write to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of September 22, 2015. I take this opportunity to congratulate you on your successful handover to the current President of Nigeria, H.E. President Muhammadu Buhari.

I am happy to note that you had a good rest and time with your family during the break. I hope you also had time to reflect and see what lessons you have learned and what you can bequeath to others.

All of us who have had experience in our service to the nation and to humanity must not put it under the bushel.

I have to commend you and your Foundation, Goodluck Jonathan Foundation, for the faith you continue to have in Nigeria.

Maybe seeking how to be better and more serviceable to the nation and humanity is also a form of penitence and soul-searching to give conscience a relief and to show remorse.

I wish you well as you continue to forge ahead with your activities in the coming months and years. If there is any area you feel I can be of help, you should not hesitate to call on me.

Yours Sincerely,
Olusegun Obasanjo

In case you missed it, here is the initial letter Jonathan wrote to Obasanjo:

Dear Baba,

On Friday, 29th May, 2015, I completed my term of office as the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and successfully handed over government to President Muhammadu Buhari. I immediately proceeded on a long deserved break. I have enjoyed a delightful time with my family and close friends.

Now, well rested, I am back to work; to continue to serve and dedicate my life to promoting peace and prosperity for all. I have set up an office in my home state of Bayelsa, where I can be reached and members of my staff are poised to serve you and respond to your enquiries at all times.

Furthermore, I will be devoting the rest of my life and energy to making the world a better place. I am currently finalizing efforts to set up The Goodluck Jonathan Foundation. More details on the work of the foundation will be available at the launch, which I believe should take place by the 3rd quarter of 2016.

As I start this new phase of my life of renewed service to humanity, I look forward to your continuous support, counsel and cooperation.

Please, do accept the assurance of my esteemed regards.

Yours Sincerely,
Goodluck Ebele Jonathan

Photo Credit: Newsbreak.ng

1. Taipan

November 26, 2015 at 8:43 am

GEJ is the chosen one anyday anytime, the truth shall prevail one day and he will seat with kings and not mare men..

• Beeeee

November 26, 2015 at 9:25 am

As in ehn, All I could say as I was reading GEJ’s letter was, “what manner of man is this?”……The truth will be exposed and may God keep us all alive to witness that day….

• FasholasLover

November 26, 2015 at 11:42 am

OBJ is an evil man. The sort you don’t want to encounter in your life. Tufia.!!!!
      The man GEJ showed respect by formally letting you know he left office and to let you know he bears no grudge and you are talking of remorse….????

Only me one, the bane of Nigerian rulership. Obasanjo and his ilk – the worst thing to happen to Nigeria. The third term dreamer mtscheeeeeeeeew.

• nnenne

November 26, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Iseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

2. keeks

November 26, 2015 at 8:52 am

it seems like a personal and private letter, why is it on Social media? and by this, i am guessing they have both burried the hatchet! good for them…. on a side note, i am sure if these were 2 sisters or female ex president, it would freeze over in hell before any settlement.

3. Heretostay

November 26, 2015 at 10:34 am

Dear Bella,

kindly correct the spelling error as it should read ‘letter’ and not ‘let’

According to Vanguard, Obasanjo wrote the letter in response to another let sent by Jonathan

4. Grapes

November 26, 2015 at 11:30 am

I just cant with OBJ….”Maybe seeking how to be better and more serviceable to the nation and humanity is also a form of penitence and soul-searching to give conscience a relief and to show remorse”…. What penitence? Has he (OBJ) shown penitence for his own sins? OBJ needs to give a break to his bitterness against GEJ. Wruwbisshh letter

5. kk

November 26, 2015 at 11:51 am

Is baba throwing shade at GEJ with this statement he made …………..”Maybe seeking how to be better and more serviceable to the nation and humanity is also a form of penitence and soul-searching to give conscience a relief and to show remorse” ??

6. Missy J

November 26, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Habaaah!! so the hatchet has been buried and they didn’t bother to keep us updated and to think some already ruptured their carotid artery because of these two…
    No politician is worth my blood pressure jareh!
    Good to know they are fine. Wishing GEJ the best as he continues to serve the nation in his little way.

7. Somto

November 26, 2015 at 2:09 pm

OBJ nwoke aruru ala. Cunny man of life. A very dangerous somborri. Agbaya of the highest level. OBJ you belong in the snake kingdom. Choi tufia smh.

8. BB

November 26, 2015 at 4:08 pm

OBJ agbaya, let GEJ be already

9. FasholasLover

November 26, 2015 at 8:07 pm

@Somto, I just cant stop laughing at this ur comment….agbaya of the highest level….snake kingdom! Choi.

10. Damilola

November 26, 2015 at 10:48 pm

This whole thing of Jonathan handling power to Buhari is getting blown out of proportion. Enough already. Jonathan was slow, incompetent as a president. He might be a nice person in real life or on a personal level. But other than that, his jtime was over. And if Buhari keeps traveling up and down not get things done, he will be voted out too. And nigerian media should start critiquing him the way they did with the last administration.

11. Chi-e-z

November 27, 2015 at 4:08 am

Doomed country. Feel sorry for all those who die in service to her. I can’t see a future till all these old abayas die and hopefully good meek honest responsible leaders come. Smh I’ve lost all hope won’t happen…..