Features

BellaNaijarian Alheri Writes Heartfelt Open Letter to Glory Edozien

BellaNaija.com

Glory Edozien - Grooming for Greatness - BellaNaijaHello Glory,

Yes, I know, this is weird. It’s weird to be writing an open letter to you when I follow you on instagram and like all your pictures. I could have sent you a direct message. I could have sent you a personal email on Inspired by Glory, but alas, I choose not you. I’m writing this open letter to you because the affairs of my concern are quite heavy on my heart.

I don’t remember the first time I heard about you. I do know that it was via BellaNaija. I took keen interest in the work you did on the website, especially after the launch of the Inspired by Glory series. I remember that one of the first episodes was called Growing Up Different in Nigeria (I didn’t Google that, I remember), where your cousin shared her story on the challenges associated with albinism in Nigeria, and even abroad. I remember the episode about female Nigerian entertainers, where you featured Kemi Adetiba, Seyi Shay. I also remember the episode about body confidence. Yes, I’m sure I’ve proven that I’m a true fan, tried and trusted (Insert large grin).

But there was one episode of Inspired by Glory that changed my life. It was the one that featured founder of Taruwa, Lydia Idakula Sobogun. When I watched that episode, I had chills all over my body. It was something. I bookmarked that episode in my brain, and sometimes return to watch it when I lose hope in my school work, or when I want to gain some perspective and inspiration.

Lydia’s honesty in that episode was refreshing. She did seem a little shy at first, but once you got her to open up (also, how do you do that?) the conversation flowed seamlessly and she shared intricate parts of her life. The one thing I remember most vividly was her monthly fast for seven days which changed her life. She mentioned that one day towards the later part of that fast, she lay on her bed speaking with the Lord. He asked her what she wanted, and after a mild protest, she budged and told Him about her vision for Taruwa. The rest is history and Taruwa continues to birth and nurture talent in Nigeria.

Glory, you are inspiration personified. I especially love how you always shine the torchlight on other people. You don’t try to hijack the interview by interjecting with unnecessary anecdotes. You always kept the focus entirely on the interviewee, and rightly so. You always were professional.

There was another episode that hit home for me. It was part of your Discovery series, and you spoke about your battle with depression, and how you even contemplated taking your life once, but couldn’t go through with it. That episode was highly encouraging to me. That was a rough period in my personal life and I had prayed several times for God to call me home. I had dreams of heaven, where they would be no stress from anything. Thankfully, I’m much better now. But I can never forget that I got through that period of my life because you spoke so openly about your own struggle.

I’m writing this letter to you because in this new year, I have decided not to admire from afar. I have decided that I will no longer harbor compliments in my heart. If I think someone is doing a great job, I’ll shout it from the rooftop, so they receive the commendation due them.

Thank you for being confident in yourself, it’s evident in the way you’re so comfortable in your vlogs. Thank you for being so honest with your struggles. Most importantly, thank you for sharing the women that inspired you in 2015. I looked them up, and I too, was inspired.

I am a young woman with grandiose dreams for my future. You have shown me that walking in my purpose, and being obedient and diligent with whatever I do, however small it may seem, always will lead me to greater heights. Thank you.

***
Alheri blogs at http://msalheri.com

1. chioma

March 28, 2016 at 11:02 am

I agree with every word of this writer!! Welldon Glory!!

2. Diane

March 28, 2016 at 11:32 am

Oh I love Glory. I shared with her my story on depression due to my bad skin and she shared her own story which seemed worse. I had to learn to feel better because she showed me strength. What a woman? So beautiful, so understanding and always ready to share. She always has the time for everyone, no matter your story if she cannot give you hope, she would try to calm you!!!
    Alheri, thank you for writing this about Glory. Your words are so true.

3. Wanderlust _Trekeffect

March 28, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Hahahaha I opened this wondering why anyone would want to lash out at my Glory, as is common in naija open letters * side eyes*, but alas you have said nothing but the truth! Glory’s vlogs are one of those edifying posts that make me come on bellanaija.??
    Chop kisses ??Alheri for writing this in appreciation, she truly deserves it.

4. Ba

March 28, 2016 at 1:34 pm

That’s such a great compliment for Glory. The best reward is when your works is making the huge impact, further making our world a better place to live and for the future and you are achieving by this open letter from a follower.

Depression: the day I saw someone going through worst situation than me and feel happy, that’s when I know, it is evil, it’s a fight and to be optimistic is powerful.

5. loma

March 28, 2016 at 1:35 pm

God bless Glory Edozien!

6. Tunmi

March 28, 2016 at 1:40 pm

“If I think someone is doing a great job, I’ll shout it from the rooftop, so they receive the commendation due them.” I need to do this more often

7. Chu

March 28, 2016 at 4:26 pm

Well done Glory, you have touched lives.

8. Juste Moi

March 28, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Well done Glory, keep up the good work

9. mee

March 28, 2016 at 8:50 pm

I couldn’t agree more. Thank you for taking the time to voice what a lot of us feel so Glory can see how much we appreciate her. Thanks for everything Glory!

10. Tincan

March 29, 2016 at 12:37 am

I am with you all the way. I left a comment on Glory’s blog recently, just to let her know that we may not always comment but we are listening and that she is inspirational. Glory, your calling is awesome. Well done! And well done Alheri. I was nodding as you listed your journey with her work. I also vaguely remember Taruwa story. Must listen to it again.

11. Ello Bae

March 29, 2016 at 3:14 am

Ahhhh!! This gives me joy to know that somebody loves Glory as much as I do or maybe even more. Glory you are a star. You have touched so many lives. I have followed you right from when you started writing for BM…now see how far we have come ( yes, we are in this together 🙂 Isn’t God good!!!! God will bless you beyond your expectations, I feel it in my belly.
    Thanks BellaNaija for everything. When Glory shares her story to the world you will be mentioned.

• Jazzuti

March 31, 2016 at 6:58 am

Lol. @ feel it in my belly….love it.

12. jennietobbie

March 29, 2016 at 7:07 am

Yup yup yup!!!! That’s my girl right that. I admire EVERYTHING about you and your friendship, especially with Wanawana. I can’t forget the video I saw where she mixed some natural oil for your skin regime and came by your house and y’all were chilling like secondary school friends. I told my girls….yah yah yah, these ones are the senior baby girls; let’s learn from them. I LOVE you, Glory and I’ve missed your lovey-dovey relationship articles. There’s nothing wrong with “Inspired by Glory” and a splash of LOVE. C”mon sister!!!!!!

13. @TomzPouty

March 29, 2016 at 11:51 am

Yes Glory!!! God bless you. You make it easy for some of us to just follow our passion and keep living life with a purpose.
    Plenty love !!!! :* :*