How REAL Agege Bread is Made! Not Sure if You’ll Eat Again After This…Watch

Agege Bread is one of those Nigerian food mainstays. Soft and yummy…yet we are told it is not good for us because of various reasons. Do you know how Agege bread is made?
Battabox delves deeper to find out.

Bread is one of the most eaten foods in Nigeria – especially for breakfast. You can eat bread and egg, bread and tea, bread and akara (bean cakes) etc. But if you haven’t yet eaten Lagos Agege bread, then you’re missing something.

“They started this business from Agege,” explains one of the bakers

Today on the hustle, BollyLomo works in a bakery where Agege Bread is made. So all our Agege Bread lovers get to see where it comes from.

“To start, you have to arrange and clean the bread pans,” says the boss as he sends Bolly off to start his day’s job

The bread is called Agege Bread because it originated from a place in Lagos called Agege. Everyday in Lagos you can readily find them in the stalls of food vendors, or people hawking them from street to street.

“People prefer Agege bread to all these sliced modern bread,” Says Mrs Joke, the bakery owner.

29 Comments on How REAL Agege Bread is Made! Not Sure if You’ll Eat Again After This…Watch
  • ElessarisElendil March 28, 2016 at 10:23 am

Tsk, una too posh. Already knew how it was made, also know that the heat from the baking renders that irrelevant.

If 8 years of Mishai hasn’t killed me, I don’t think I’ll stop.

• I’mJustSayin’ March 28, 2016 at 10:36 am

I’ll still eat it o

• keke driver March 28, 2016 at 10:42 am

Been eating Agege Bread since forever, and i’m healthy and strong as a horse, am not bothered biko.

• Wale March 28, 2016 at 10:44 am

So much for food safety, it is only by the grace of God that Nigerians continue to be spared. Even the batta box guy didnt wash his hand, all the sweat, sputum and uncovered hair. Still, the lagos state health department should look into this and regulate the industry. Who knows how many new jobs it will create if people are hired to check facilities like this…?

• ElessarisElendil March 28, 2016 at 12:42 pm

“Who knows how many new jobs it will create if people are hired to check facilities like this”:

Jobs paid………..with………….OUR………….taxes. Its bad enough we have an over bloated civil service and you want to add more??? Biko stop.

• Ola March 29, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Who will pay them? The same government that is owing lecturers money? I agree with you that we need food safety regulations but it is not a priority just yet

• Thatgidigirl March 28, 2016 at 10:57 am

This is one neat agege bread bakery, some use old bathtubs to mix the condiments…..however, i would still eat jor o!

• Ada Nnewi March 28, 2016 at 11:34 am

After I visited one bakery like that in lagos hinterlands 6 years ago, I never touched agege bread.. however like I remain a roadside puff puff addict…

• Ada Nnewi March 28, 2016 at 11:35 am

By the way this bakery is very clean

• Ada Nnewi March 28, 2016 at 11:38 am

Interviewer: so you don’t have back pain? Baker::: ehnnnn ehnnnn hits be cuz it is d first one you are doing. Me: ????

• DocDeola March 28, 2016 at 11:38 am

It looks fairly well organised but health and safety is crazy absent. Back pain from the initial process to hand injuries from the ‘milling’ process to burns from the charcoal fire. I’m sure they are aware but due to monetary or profit margin pressures….no changes. It’s disheartening that due to lack of electricity a lot of progress can’t be made in Nigeria.

• Iqram March 28, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Agege bread that has been in Nigeria from generation to generation and nothing do us! If it is fresh and well baked, then I’m all for it! #ImissIfobread

• B.E March 28, 2016 at 1:07 pm

This is such an amazing video!!!!! Nigerians are really hard workers sha. Talk about being industrious

• Sky Blue March 28, 2016 at 2:02 pm

That was awesome to watch! I <3 Bollylomo.

• Asgrl March 28, 2016 at 2:05 pm

Must be all that pit and ball juice that makes it taste so good. Extra seasoning! Lmaoo?

• me March 28, 2016 at 3:37 pm

What is the main reason for putting up this post, BN. was it to deter us for buying Agege bread? This is Lagos and not abroad – My grandpa ate agege bread and lived well till his 90’s. Whoever wrote this post must be barred from eating Agege for life!

• Olivia March 28, 2016 at 3:48 pm

I was just checking out the presenter throughout. When he walked in to the bakery I’m like, “Oh…, hello”. O_O.

• Bola March 28, 2016 at 8:25 pm

So was I!!!!
      He has a Nice body & he speaks well too! #MCM
      This clip was much more enlightening & entertaining than Olisa & Biola Alabi’s Buka’s & Joints.
      I want to see more presenters like this, I think Sisi Yemmie, Tuke Morgan and the Eat Drink Lagos Crew will do this really well too!

• MrNaijaD March 28, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Who Agege bread don kill? None
    Upon food safety in developed countries Who Cancer don kill there? Plenty!
    Eat Agege bread
    I remembered in high school my friends were already hustling making money while I was forming omo mummy so I decided to try to work too, I went to a bakery, they were to pay me #1500 weekly but after they told me my job description, How I will enter oven then knock from the inside to alert the bread is done. I run for my future you can’t bake my black self with bread but since then I eat Agege bread with passion and prayer for the bakery workers. Even in Canada I go every store looking for unsliced bread to help my Agege bread addiction.

• T.J March 28, 2016 at 5:35 pm

Lmao! This last post tho. Alert frm inside the oven!! Lol. Omg ur post is d icing.

• kk March 28, 2016 at 5:55 pm

These are the kind of “factories” the Nigerian government should invest in!!! People will ALWAYS EAT BREAD.

• swagg1 March 28, 2016 at 7:44 pm

I am not going to read it in order not to get discouraged. Those Bukka food has the same sanitary issues and they all rock.

• nene March 28, 2016 at 10:35 pm

wow this is amazing. local bakery and the bread tastes amazing. i love this country!

• Toyosi Phillips
    Toyosi Phillips March 28, 2016 at 11:12 pm

All I see is industriousness! We should respect workers like this more. Dignity in labour. Thank you for this Battabox. Love it!

• Omo Alhaja March 29, 2016 at 12:07 am

Agege bread aside, good presenter, went in, hands in, good naija english no accent forming, all on cue, camera, comments etc he is such a natural. I pray and hope more like him get employed in the industry instead of all these clueless woke up oneday and wants to be on the radio or television, half baked phone faking people .

• Onesinglegeh March 29, 2016 at 12:32 am

Abegggg forget agege bread this presenter is hawtttttt mehnnnn jeeezzzz forget abeg he is fine lol *coveringface* lols running to battabox on ig to find him lools

• “changing moniker” March 29, 2016 at 12:44 pm

i like the guy too… these Battabox presenters are the real deal… first the lady (map of Nigeria thingy) and then this guy.

• forbisi March 29, 2016 at 1:52 pm

lol at the oga’s “go and arrange ur kpan”

• Jinni March 30, 2016 at 8:56 am