Features

Fathers Day 2016: Dr. Tony Rapu Writes Heartfelt Letter to His Daughters

BellaNaija.com

IMGB6928Dear Uju and Kene,

My precious daughters,on Father’s Day last year, I wrote a letter to your brother, hoping that even if he didn’t read it at the time, someday he would refer to it. This Father’s Day, I am also sharing words of encouragement with you, in the hope that they would be helpful now or when you need them in the future. Even though the world celebrates Father’s Day every June, I celebrate being your father every day of the year.

Uju, ever since you were young, you have shown a quiet strength and incredible thoughtfulness towards others. You have always carried yourself with gentle dignity, and we called you the ‘brainbox’ of the family. Not surprisingly, you went ahead and became a Medical Doctor. Kene, you have always had a ‘take charge’ personality. We were always proud to hear you speak your mind and see you address issues in a forthright manner. Of course, a Law degree seemed to be the natural direction of a profession for you. Both your unique qualities have helped you grow into two amazing ladies who have gone beyond the boundaries of Medicine and Law to express yourselves in very creative ways.

Special Moments
We have shared many special moments as a family. I cherish even those times when we worked together to resolve challenging issues which we faced either as individuals or collectively as a family. Whether it was a disappointment, a financial problem, difficulty at school, illness or emotional upheaval, we would encourage whoever was going through it to remain strong until they pulled through.

Even though we have had memorable conversations through all these, in some ways I have been the stereotypical man unable to fully open up and express my feelings to my daughters. So let me start by saying there will never be another man who will love you as much as I do; but I do pray there will one day be a man who comes close to cherishing, loving and caring for you as I do.

IMGB7125You have enriched my life and I am honoured to have you as my daughters. A man could not have wished for better daughters. You both serve the Lord not because of my relationship with Him, but rather because you have come to experience Him yourselves. That is such a gratifying thing!

Girls Need their Father
You will never know how deeply a father loves a daughter; it’s a feeling that is difficult to express in words. There’s a mixture of strength and tenderness in that special bond. A father protects and nurtures. A father’s love for his daughter provides a foundation for her emotional stability. That’s why neglect from a father is a cruel thing. A girl who once saw me hug Uju after a church service many years ago confided that her father had never hugged her. Hers was a deep pain. That is often the young woman who will seek her self-worth in the affection of a man, sometimes a man far older than her, because she is in search of the father who never provided that affection.

Never Forget Where You Come From
Do not forget about the value of a family that cares for you. Remember the experiences, training and guidance that you have received. Over the years, I have tried to help you define your identity as individuals rather than through the pastor-father image that some have of me. In the same vein, your self-worth should not defined by any man, but rather by God. Your mum and I have sought to model for you what a biblical and godly marriage should be. We are not perfect and sometimes you have seen these imperfections, but that’s okay – you can also learn from it.. Your mother is my equal. She is my friend. She stands as an individual in her own right. No male in your life was designed by God to be the source of your life, the basis of your happiness, or the stability of your future. Christ is all that to you and more. He is your source, your sufficiency and your stability. For this reason, no matter what you hear from well-meaning pastors, I will encourage you to remember what your mum and I have taught you over the years. You are equal in worth, value, significance and purpose to any man. You can both lead and follow. You can serve and be served; you can encourage and also be encouraged in every area of life including the emotional and spiritual.

Choose Your Dream
May you find who you are within yourselves because your God-given dream is in you. Discover what you want to do in the world, and when you have chosen it, pursue it with determination and tenacity. Enjoy life. Live life with a sense of meaning and purpose. Commit yourselves to developing your lives as good stewards of your gifts and opportunities. May you fearlessly and diligently live out your passion in the world. I have all the confidence in the world that both of you are capable of harnessing your strengths to be successful and to become the women that you want to be.

IMGB6858

Remaining Pure
Always remember that your worth, value and beauty are not defined or dependent on any man. You are no less of a woman for choosing to maintain your sexual purity. Of course there will be pressure from different quarters, and you may even hear loud and mocking voices calling you naive or old fashioned, but some things are worth the wait and this is one of them. We are told that engaging in sex and sexual activity is completely normal and natural before you are married, but if a man does not respect you as a woman and your desire for sexual purity, then he is not worthy of you. You are not a means to his end. You are of great value before God. You are worth the wait. You do not ever have to compromise or settle for anyone.

Inner Beauty
In a world increasingly defined by fashion trends, television and glossy magazines, we are bombarded with images that prescribe the world’s standard of beauty and how to attain it. The truth is that beauty does not come from the makeup you wear, the style of your hair or the even the curviness of your body. It does not come from how flawless your skin may be or how youthful your appearance is. All this is commendable and acceptable but true beauty comes from the radiance of God, which is the fruit of your yieldedness to Him. That is unsurpassed beauty. Your worth, value and beauty come from God and God alone. In that truth, you will never need to measure up to the unreasonable expectations of society about how you should look, act, or what you should believe about yourself. Who you are in God is what makes you valuable and beautiful. Refuse to buy into any other narrative except that which defines you as daughters of God.

IMGB6869

Don’t Marry a Boy
Don’t marry a boy no matter how old he may be. Today, there are many boys masquerading as men. Your brother’s school principal once told us that their vision was to prepare the kind of men we would be proud to have as husbands to our daughters. I found that simple but thought provoking, and I have myself since committed to mentoring young men. Do not fall for any man who just shows you attention. Rather, follow the one who comes along and shows the graces that come from knowing Christ. Be attracted to tenderness, self-restraint, internal strength, consistency and sacrifice. Love the man who fears the Lord. I apologise for the incessant complaints about our young men. I regret that they often confuse lust with love. Many say that it is difficult to find a man with godly virtues, but I advise you to search for this otherwise you will spend a long time nursing a grown man. The man you should look out for should be one who cares for your needs above his own. If I am at all the man I claim to be, my display of love towards your mother should help you understand what it is I am describing. You should be able to recognize this sort of love when you see it. The man who will lay down his life for you is the type of man you can easily give your life to. The man who gives himself in sacrifice is easy to serve sacrificially.

IMGB6966

God’s Love
I know you both respect and love me. I have been there for you both in good times and bad. However, if the truth be told, I have been working harder at directing your hearts more to God rather than to me. You may not realize it now but one day in the midst of life’s many difficulties you will recognize what I have been doing all these years. My leadership at home has been to give you a glimpse of God’s power over our lives. When those times of distress and pain come, I pray that God will steady you. I pray you will come to sense a steadfastness that you may not have sensed before. It is in those times that God’s love will be the greatest gift I would have given you in my lifetime. My own love will be overshadowed by God’s love. In those moments you will whisper, “Thank you, Daddy, God has been faithful to me. He has not left me nor ever forsaken me.”

I pray that you would not just have copied your father or mother’s faith but found the Lord Jesus as the supreme source of your own faith.

I will always be proud to be your father.

Daddy.

Photo Credit: Obi Somto Photography

1. bumble bee

June 19, 2016 at 10:41 am

This has to be the most touching thing I’ve read in recent times… there’s no love like a father’s love… Pls what church does he lead, i’ll love to go there

• Mo

June 19, 2016 at 12:10 pm

‘This Present House’, it’s at The Dome on Freedom Way, at the end of Admiralty Way in Lekki Phase 1.

• TPHlady

June 19, 2016 at 2:32 pm

This Present house. Please just drive down to the end of Admiralty road. You can’t miss it

• anon

June 19, 2016 at 10:18 pm

“You are no less of a woman for choosing to maintain your sexual purity…”
      É sir…how do you categorically know that one?

• Bukola

June 20, 2016 at 10:11 pm

This letter was written to his daughters. You can tell your daughters differently!

• Itunu

June 20, 2016 at 11:56 pm

I assume what he is trying to say is that ladies shouldn’t think less of themselves as women because the society doesn’t admire purity.

• T

June 20, 2016 at 10:31 am

He heads a few churches called ‘Expressions’. One of the expressions is The Waterbrook Church (TWB) If you are in your 20’s & early 30’s I’d recommend The Waterbrook Church. Dr Tony’s daughters go there. There are also other expressions like This Present House, Holy Trinity Lagos etc. Pastor will be at (TWB) this coming Sunday.

• Martha

June 20, 2016 at 11:45 am

You can say that again. This present house (TPH) in lekki phase1

• Becca

June 20, 2016 at 11:55 am

Yup! He’ll be at The Waterbrook this Sunday, at 12 Adeniyi Coker, off TY Danjuma, off Ligali Ayorinde, service starts at 10am.

• Rose

June 20, 2016 at 11:36 pm

This Present House

• The chosen

June 21, 2016 at 7:08 am

He’s the pastor of This Present House. In Lekki, Freedom Way

• stella

June 21, 2016 at 7:31 am

This present house also known as The Done in lekki

• Amara

June 21, 2016 at 11:05 am

God bless Nigeria Church (Formerly This Present House). They have one at Funsho Williams Avenue, Iporin , Surulere

• ariel

June 22, 2016 at 6:15 am

This Present House

• Paul

June 25, 2016 at 3:32 pm

This Present House, The Dome, end of Admiralty Way, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos. One London Church, London. The water Brook, off Ligali ayorinde Victoria Island Lagos.

• Hanny

March 9, 2018 at 11:49 am

This day dome. Lekki 3rd roundabout

2. Oma D

June 19, 2016 at 11:11 am

I cannot thank u enough for this…my dad is the greatest there ever will be but you sir have won my respect. Happy Father’s Day

3. Oma

June 19, 2016 at 11:24 am

So sweet, this brought tears to my eyes.

4. B.E

June 19, 2016 at 11:46 am

What a father!!!! Happy Father’s Day PT! I pray God continues to give you the grace to remain an amazing role model not only to your own biologicalchildren but the many other children who look up to you. Amen

• Amaa

June 20, 2016 at 2:16 pm

“. Your mother is my equal. She is my friend. She stands as an individual in her own right. No male in your life was designed by God to be the source of your life, the basis of your happiness, or the stability of your future. Christ is all that to you and more. He is your source, your sufficiency and your stability. For this reason, no matter what you hear from well-meaning pastors, I will encourage you to remember what your mum and I have taught you over the years. You are equal in worth, value, significance and purpose to any man. You can both lead and follow. You can serve and be served; you can encourage and also be encouraged in every area of life including the emotional and spiritual.’

5. Ariere

June 19, 2016 at 11:58 am

He sure is blessed with Beautiful daughters. Nd how lucky and blessed they re to have a father as such. The best giftS u will ever give u Child is Ur Undivided Time and unflinching Love for them, Urself and their other Parent.

6. Mo

June 19, 2016 at 12:08 pm

So beautiful. Wise, honest and heartfelt words that we can all learn from and become better parents and children. God bless them all.

7. gloria.o

June 19, 2016 at 12:35 pm

What a wonderful father you are, i pray that god wil continued to lift u up . And reach out to other pp too happy fathers day

8. Dr. N

June 19, 2016 at 12:54 pm

*sniff sniff*
    Lucky girls
    *sniff sniff*
    “You can serve and be served”
    “I have tried to direct your hearts to God”
    Should I just memorize it or what?
    Very.moving

• Jennifer White

June 20, 2016 at 5:24 pm

Just memorize it

Memorize the entire thing… I will

9. Ihunmehai

June 19, 2016 at 1:38 pm

I haven’t experienced a real Godly and fatherly love thus I have made those mistakes in your write up however I have made up my mind to be guided with these words of wisdom u you have given to your daughters and ultimately by His word. Thank you.

• mz_daniels

June 20, 2016 at 10:04 am

Nne, I was raised by a father in every sense of the word and still made lots of mistakes. The only difference is I was able to correct them.

God’s love is always there for us dear and you always had it even though you didn’t recognize it.

10. babygiwa

June 19, 2016 at 1:55 pm

This is so touching. God bless you sir. *sniff sniff

11. Pink

June 19, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Beautiful piece!!

12. Puzzles

June 19, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Where is Paul Adeyemo, Kelech and Chief? They will not comment now abi?

Come and see the letter a MAN wrote to his daughters.

• mela

June 19, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Lolzzzz

• Amanda

June 19, 2016 at 4:48 pm

You forgot to add Mr. Egghead and OJ. You can’t be expecting those ‘BOYS”to be here. You will only see them when Boy Freeze writes.

• Mr. Egghead

June 19, 2016 at 8:23 pm

? ?

13. Tincan

June 19, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Chai! What a God-Man looks like. I see why my hubby has so much respect for this guy… Father, please shape my son, my hubby and the men in my life. Amen

14. Naijatalk

June 19, 2016 at 4:58 pm

BN where is my comment

• hmmm

June 19, 2016 at 5:21 pm

Hope you didn’t bring any tribalism to this beautiful post… this one BN seems to have seized it,

• Naijatalk

June 19, 2016 at 9:37 pm

If only most Nigerian men and pastors could reason this way . Happy Father’s day to my dad, a man who made me realise my invaluableness early in life; a man who encouraged and still encourages me to be the greatest.love you dad and Happy Father’s day to all great dads who inspire.

BN keep swallowing

• Naijatalk

June 19, 2016 at 9:44 pm

If only most Nigerian men and pastors would reason this way…Happy Father’s Day to my dad, a man who made me realize my invaluableness early in life; a man who encouraged and still encourages me to be the greatest. Love you dad and Happy Father’s Day to all dads who inspire.
      BN keep swallowing

• Naijatalk

June 19, 2016 at 9:38 pm

BN keep swallowing

15. Ijedinma

June 19, 2016 at 4:59 pm

This is such a wonderful piece! I’m speechless! God bless you Pastor Tony.

16. Wow.... Well said!

June 19, 2016 at 5:20 pm

• Sisi

June 19, 2016 at 6:29 pm

That’s big! let it sink in and digest it.

17. taiwo

June 19, 2016 at 5:25 pm

AM SO TOUCHED. We must mold our kids to see what we preach and tread same path.Poignant message.

18. Californiabawlar

June 19, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Wow!! It’s because of positive messages like this I used to come on BN…now it’s just a battlefield for foolishness and negativity of all shades of distress.

Some of the lines in this felt almost unreal…as someone who grew up without a dad, thanks for sharing this with me. And apart from the human angle, I am even more inspired to reassess my relationship with Christ.
    This is surely a much more peaceful, enjoyable and respectable existence…one I would mirror if I were a man.

19. NaijaBluey

June 19, 2016 at 7:05 pm

This is simply amazing and absolutely beautiful.

20. Abimbola Oseni

June 19, 2016 at 7:34 pm

It feels genuine, it shows what unconditional love should be , the love of Christ, it brings my spirits alive, i will copy it and read it each time i courage and upliftment. Happy Fathers Day Dr Tony Rapu.

21. 1 + The One

June 19, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Loved reading this. I will read it again and again. God bless all our wonderful fathers.

22. ashi

June 19, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Abegi mk we hear word joor. These pple are always acting as if their family is perfect like they don’t av skeletons in their cupboard. Nah today yansh dey for back

• Na wa

June 19, 2016 at 9:02 pm

There must ALWAYS be a Judas. Even in the midst of positivity, sad people like you must bring their sadness to the fore. Just GFOH please

• Tunrayo

June 19, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Did you read where he talked about challenges they faced in the family and going through tough times?

• mz_daniels

June 20, 2016 at 10:06 am

Nne, I had a family like this and heard a lot of cynics yimu like you are doing now.

The truth is, there are mistakes that will be made but the love, strong sense of self and assurance of God’s love, non-competitiveness and the ability to walk their own path is something these families have, They are not perfect but they do not doubt that they are LOVED by God and their nuclear family and this is worth more than all the oil fields of the UAE.

• Tina

June 20, 2016 at 11:15 am

Don’t be silly. Did you read the letter at all? Silly troll. Thank you for sharing this with us Sir. God bless you.

• Mom

June 21, 2016 at 8:28 am

You poor child, no one ever gave you affection so you lash out at any one receiving it…..I pray you ffind the luck of experiencing affection in your life time……after then, read this letter again and then comment.

• Viv

June 28, 2016 at 2:07 pm

If you had the mental capacity to understand this write up then you would have seen where pointed out that even as he tries with his wife, they have not been perfect; more so he mentioned various struggles they had gone through individually and as a family- financial, health…so please, if your parents did not raise you responsibly with love, borrow a brain at least

23. Oluchi

June 19, 2016 at 7:42 pm

Madam Wura, Oba’s wife…can you see?
    Did.you read what he wrote about his wife?

Be there jonsing!

Enough respect Sir!

24. xx

June 19, 2016 at 8:05 pm

I wish I had a Father like this.

25. Bukola Smith

June 19, 2016 at 8:15 pm

Beautiful words! Thanks Pastor Tony for being a worthy example. So happy for you, Uju and Kene (and of cos, Tobe too). God bless you, PT!

26. Funmi Ayo-Ojo

June 19, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Amazing letter!
    The love of a father…so real and re assuring…
    I miss my Dad!
    God Bless you pastor Tony and may you continue to be a Blessing to our Generation.
    Amen

27. Omo

June 19, 2016 at 11:11 pm

Most important line here is – For this reason, no matter what you hear from well-meaning pastors – I just screamed at a pastor using the pulpit to tell the congregation that a particular tribe is bad for marriage……. I hope pastors, fathers, mothers, etc. read this message.

28. Beverley

June 20, 2016 at 5:16 am

What a genuine piece! Thank you Pastor Tony, you blessed me with this!

29. Chiomah

June 20, 2016 at 8:30 am

This is such a beautiful piece full of a fathers wisdom. I sincerely believe that good fathers give a girl the confidence and affirnation she needs as she grows into womanhood. Its is the lack of good fathers that make some girls enter bad market while looking for love. Your daughters are blessed to you have you.

30. chibaby

June 20, 2016 at 9:35 am

Thank God that he made this letter public!! It has strenghtened a lot of young women and i am keeping a copy for my daughters.

31. Motola

June 20, 2016 at 10:08 am

Now this really brought tears to my house.The love of a father is so re-assuring.My parents were separated before i was two,now am 37 and i still miss not having a father figure early in life.I think all men should read this ,hopefully some men will stop been boys

32. mimimi

June 20, 2016 at 11:40 am

‘You are equal in worth, value, significance and purpose to any man. You can both lead and follow. You can serve and be served; you can encourage and also be encouraged in every area of life including the emotional and spiritual.’- Madam Olori ‘I don’t believe in gender equality, pls be educated.

33. Martha

June 20, 2016 at 11:48 am

I’m personalizing this letter. Will read over and over again. Thank you sir.

34. Nife

June 20, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Wow. Words I would most likely personalise and read over And over again. Thanks for making this Public . Role model

35. omotola

June 20, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Just crying… Words here i never want to forget. My Dad doesn’t even speak to me. Thank u Lord fr ds good read.

36. Okunlola Onaolapo Yetunde

June 20, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Wow this is touching and helpful

37. Lachipsy

June 20, 2016 at 2:54 pm

God bless your wisdom words PT…heaven bless your ministry….am better inform

38. Taiwo

June 20, 2016 at 5:04 pm

This is exceptionally beautiful. Thank you for being a model father, possessing attributes that we(young men all over the world) may emulate. Thank you. WOW!

39. Theresa Obaitor-Zaku

June 20, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Beautiful. Truly wise. A bank of wise words to draw from as they journey through life. Well done Pastor. Great that you are mentioning others. May God continue to bless you and all that is yours.

40. Theresa Obaitor-Zaku

June 20, 2016 at 7:07 pm

*mentoring

41. Bunmi Oluyinka

June 20, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Hmmm….Pastor Tony you certainly left no stone unturned in this letter to your daughters. In many ways you echo the heart of Jesus to His bride through your love for your wife (Mrs Rapu) and your daughters. Your letter last year to son was profound but this one to your daughters is very, very deep. It left me with a WoW. This is a must read for every father who intends to model a good relationship to his daughter. Likewise every lady should read as it will correct any negative mind-set or better still instil your self-worth in Christ.

42. Uloma

June 20, 2016 at 7:39 pm

“Do not marry a boy”

• Sue

July 6, 2016 at 8:56 pm

“……no matter how old he may be!”

43. Chiamaka

June 20, 2016 at 7:59 pm

Awww How sweet, A very beautiful piece

44. Dave Best

June 21, 2016 at 6:49 am

What a piece!!
    Its Beautiful, plus I’ve learnt even more.

45. Abosede Ademosu

June 21, 2016 at 7:58 am

Thank you so much Pastor Tony for this rich and very deep piece. I was truly blessed, inspired and motivated by it. I am sure keeping a copy for myself and anyone who cares to read. God bless you Sir!

46. twb fan club

June 21, 2016 at 9:04 am

and all them twb people are out rolling comments hahaha …..

47. okiki Thompson.

June 21, 2016 at 9:35 am

God bless u pst Tony.What a beautiful and wonderful write up.So inspiring.Am really touched.

48. Amara

June 21, 2016 at 11:14 am

Thanks Pastor Tony Rapu. Your words to your daughters had brought tears to my eyes. How awesome a father’s love towards her children. You are not only talking to your daughters but also to all daughters out there. I can never forget you, right from Freedom Hall. My prayer for you sir, is that God will continue to strengthen, empower and anoint you for greater heights for Him and at the last day, your name will not be found missing in the book of life in Jesus’ name. amen.

49. Monique

June 21, 2016 at 11:38 am

Now one stupid boy in form of a man will come and say that this man did not train his daughters well that is why they will never be married or submit to their husband,

50. ME

June 21, 2016 at 11:45 am

Hmm…Pastor Tony looks so young! He can easily pass for a brother to his daughters. God bless you and your family, may His Wisdom not depart from your household IJN (Amen)

51. Dee

June 21, 2016 at 12:31 pm

This letter deserves all the accolades it is getting and much more. And the man doesn’t need to see all the comments here to know the weight of his letter. Going through this letter you’ll see a man protecting his daughters from the ‘boys’ of nowadays which is very well expected from all fathers. There’s just a part I feel he left out or probably did not emphasize. God made us equal man and woman, each to discover his/her purpose and rely on only Jesus Christ. We also need to let our daughters know that in the institution of MARRIAGE they are to submit to the authority of their husbands (A Godly man of course). That they are also free not to marry if they don’t have a good understanding of that and are carried away with SOME of the call for total equality we see. Emphasis on independence is good, emphasis on roles in marriage is equally good. And we need to pray that our daughters get men that will love them as we do and even better.

• UGh

June 22, 2016 at 11:25 pm

Abeg….The bible also commanded everyone to submit to one another. So the men will submit and the woman will submit. which he essentially covered by saying “You will both lead and follow”

52. IBONG

June 21, 2016 at 1:00 pm

God bless you Dr Rapu (WHEN THE GENERAL OVERSEER OF THE REDEMMED CHRISTAIN CHURCH DURING THE 2016 JUNE EXCEL OF RCCG SAID GIVE 1000 TONY RAPU I WILL WIN THE WORLD FOR CHRIST IN 5YEARS, HE KNEW WHAT HE WAS SAYING. GOD BLESS YOU MET YOUR DAUGHTER DR UJU, BRILLANT GIRL AND KNOWS WHAT SHE WANTS. MAY GOD BLESS YOU REAL GOOD. TO ALL MEN AND GUYS PLEASE READ THIS AND ON ALL MY SISTERS READ THIS.

53. Maureen Oseji

June 21, 2016 at 1:23 pm

That was touching!

54. Awwwww

June 21, 2016 at 6:39 pm

PT, thank you sir!

55. Ojoye Yewande Oluwakemi

June 21, 2016 at 11:30 pm

Woooooow… Gained à lot from this letter

56. Tk

June 22, 2016 at 8:57 am

Beautiful piece..but I hope he hasn’t tuned them to becoming feminist. Trust me feminist aren’t a typical idea of a virtuous wife.

• UGh

June 22, 2016 at 11:28 pm

@Tk.. Well his wife is doing just fine and I am sure she is a virtuous wife to him. and I doubt he wants his daughters to be a “typical idea”. How about you go find your non-feminst virtuous wife and leave him alone.

57. Tobby Francis

June 23, 2016 at 12:50 am

See serious epistle now
    Well written and stated.

If only Eli write this kind note to him two sons, maybe reverse for be the case.

58. Akin Daniels

June 25, 2016 at 4:20 pm

This Piece is thought challenging. I pray I learn from this. Thank u doc.

59. Juliana Amos

June 29, 2016 at 2:23 pm

wow.this letter is amazing…Gained a lot from it #smiles#