The confirmation is contained in a statement issued by the acting spokesman of the army, Col. Sani Usman.
He said that the attack, which occurred at 5.15 a.m. on Friday, was targeted at the Damboa Central Mosque.
“In the early hours of today, precisely at 5.15AM, two Boko Haram suicide bombers attacked Damboa.
The first suicide bomber targeted Damboa Central Mosque but due to stringent security measures, he could not gain entry but he eventually exploded and died near the mosque.
The second bomber veered off and gained entry into another smaller mosque and detonated the bomb killing him and six other worshippers and injuring one other person.
The wounded have been evacuated to a hospital while efforts are on to clear the rubbles and secure the area,” he said.
Usman said that suspected Boko Haram terrorists, in another development, attacked Gaskeri village ahead of Dalori on Thursday evening.
He said that the insurgents killed three civilian vigilantes and looted food items from the village.
He said that troops had been mobilised and were on the suspected terrorists’ trail.
The spokesman added that the army had commenced escort of motorists as part of the efforts to keep Maiduguri-Dikwa-Gamboru Ngala road open and safe.
He said that troops of 3 Battalion, 22 Brigade on Thursday escorted four trailers and 44 other vehicles from Dikwa to Gamboru Ngala.
He said that the troops also ambushed the terrorists at Gajibo crossing point and recovered one AK-47 rifle, a transistor radio and a knife.