BN TV

BN Living: Unfollow Them! Berry Dakara speaks on Social Media Envy | What do YOU think?

BN TV

In this video lifestyle vlogger Berry Dakara is discussing the issue of social media envy and how to deal with it. She’s joined by her sister Tami and together they touch on topics like FOMO (fear of missing out), Snapchat, seeing perfect people and feeling like your life isn’t great or you’re not good enough. It’s quite an interesting topic and we’d love to hear your thoughts as well.

Watch the Video

What do you think?

1. Bella

July 14, 2016 at 9:33 am

social media, the woe of the 21st century if you don’t know your self worth! like or dislike, find your own worth and let those needing validation continue. Material worth has made social media a frenzy of wants and wishes, for why? if you don’t know who you are or value what you’re worth then you will suffer o. face your life and cut your cloth to size. We are all different and unique in our own ways. be content with whom you are. Find inspiration on motivational topics and leave the material worlds to those that will it.

2. Angie

July 14, 2016 at 9:42 am

Know you who are and social media posts won’t affect you. I’m glad I deactivated my Facebook account and now I am not on any SM site except whatsapp. The day one of my friends, who posts pictures of how excellent their life is told me what they are going through, living in debt just to keep up, I said thank God I am not easily pressured.

We are missing out on real life because of these SM and smartphones.

• AGirlHasNoName

July 14, 2016 at 10:40 am

Nice to meet a kindred spirit here. I don’t use any social media apart from WhatsApp – and only because my mum and my siblings talked me into it.

3. Damseldami

July 14, 2016 at 10:21 am

All I know is that I Oluwadamilola cannot and will not be intimidated by what I see on social media because I know who I am. Thank God I am well grounded cos I cannot imagine the pressure some people go through just to keep up with the Jones.

4. Mina

July 14, 2016 at 11:02 am

especially snapchat….

5. Truthservedhot

July 14, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Social media used to get to me before because all I did was mope at how other people’s lives were so much better than mine.
    Not anymore. I think the minute you start to ask yourself, who you are and what you want your life to be like and ensure that you are taking the steps to achieve everything that you want, you spend less and less time on social media. Even if you do go on social media, you’ll realise that the envy is non-existent anymore.

What I am saying in enssence is basically: MIND YOUR BUSINESS. Works every time.

6. o

July 14, 2016 at 1:00 pm

I’m not on Snapchat, but I have IG & FB. I don’t understand when ppl say IG makes ppl feel envious/inferior. Never been the case with me. Social media or not, my mama always told me “Je ki nkan to ni te eh lorun” (be satisfied with whatever you have). Everybody’s time is different and will come. I understand what Berry said about yummy mummies, but remember that it’s God that gives. Even if you don’t see them on IG, you will see them on the rd, in church etc. God will make it beautiful for you in his time, very soon IJN.

7. Mide

July 14, 2016 at 1:09 pm

so these kids actually shot a 21min video for this…???

8. "changing moniker"

July 14, 2016 at 1:11 pm

Honestly what is there to make me envious????
    here’s a breakdown:
    I follow @dooneyskitctchen on IG, Am i to be envious of her cooking utensils and skills?
    I follow @eveandtribe, Lady Biba and a host of other designers on IG, am i to be envious of their clothes.
    I follow lots of MUAs and Photogs on IG, am i to be envious of their pictures???
    I follow BN on IG, unfortunately i was blocked (shey you’re blocked if you stop seeing posts from the page and can’t look at their page). Am i to be envious of those getting married???
    I follow my friends and fam whose pics i have already seen before it is posted…. envy ke??
    I follow Toke and a couple of other celebrities who are paid to dress well and look like they have more than they really do…am i to be envious????

Please share what makes you envious of others on social media? me i want to join this envy business o…it might be the next big think like make-up 🙂

9. Nystyle

July 14, 2016 at 8:03 pm

@changing moniker. .you ain’t following the Real deal!

10. Hadiza

July 15, 2016 at 1:45 pm

I am so happy and humbled and honored to have the kind of foundation I have … Far before social media , I can never be under any pressure of anyone or group of people , from an early age I knew we are all different people and we will never ever produce same result , I am from an average family or even less … I have alway being around things and people that should make me under pressure but never ever have been under any pressure , rather I was inspired to be great and do better , the only pressure I get are goals I set for myself which by the way is not based on anyone life or situation . Life is a jonuney , life is in stages , life is a process … WE WILL NOT ALL MAKE IT SAME WAY , WE WILL NOT ALL HAVE IT SAME TIME … U can’t put ola n Bolu together to expect ade n kemi … Embrace who u r and what u have

11. Hadiza

July 15, 2016 at 2:04 pm

You will always see and meet people that are better than you and you will still see and meet people that you are doing better than too … So why why why allow this things effect you and your situation … I know you are saying the trust but my dear get it together … I know how that feel though , I followed all yummy mummy page on social media before I had my kids and that inspired me , a lot of educate from it … While my career was on a very high level most of my colleagues and friends took breaks n where busy building there family n having kids now I am on a break building my family and having kids while they r now re working on their career . So it’s just times and seasons under the earth …. No body had it all … especially at a time