BN TV

BN TV: Coming to America! Living Life as an International Student in USA by ThatNaijaChick

In this video by Cossie of ThatNaijaChick featuring her friend Ify of ThatFitAfricanChick, these ladies talk about what it means to be Nigerian in America.

It’s an insightful video about the experiences of two young ladies coming to America from Nigeria, dealing with new found freedom, culture shock, living life as an international student and what to expect for those who are thinking of taking the bold step.

Watch the Video

1. Red

August 21, 2016 at 5:58 am

Additionally, I’ve learnt that here in the U.S, there’s a lot of “sugar coating” & “padding” i.e. P.C (Political Correctness). People act as if they like you/ your views. But all….Na wash.
    Odd as it may seem, I’m eternally grateful for the Nigeria culture that allows for direct (sometimesunsolicitedd) critique & correction when necessary. No time for being TwoFaced!

• Grace

August 22, 2016 at 4:04 pm

@Red, this is something I find very difficult to understand or explain. I don’t know if it is a spirit or just a way of life. Someone appeared very nice to me and even gave me a gift. When her daughter told me what she said behind my back and how she was the one that made her give me that gift . I got so confused that I had to pray to Almighty God. It’s ok to smile but don’t act like you really like people when you don’t. My cousin had told me about ho her co-workers smiled and backstabbed her but I couldn’t relate with that then because I was ‘journey just come from Niger’ Here is my conclusion: Stay prayerful, be good to people, watch what you say about yourself and other people and understand the fact that not everyone who smiles at you likes you, they have their opinion but don’t fall into the lion’s den.

2. mike

August 21, 2016 at 6:35 am

ify is beautifull, and smart

3. Proudly Naija babe

August 21, 2016 at 10:34 am

Really nice video, thought it was going to be one I those “I too sabi,” or ” check me out,I don land Yankee” videos but I enjoyed it.
    I told myself before watching this video thatthe next time I travel to America, I will pack plenty ankara outfits to wear there and proudly rock native skirts and blouses functions.
    Well don girls.

• Red

August 21, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Nne, I agree with you. I do that all the time. Wetin dey pain me now be say, a lot of stores now sell African fabric and Dashikis as per “Summer” trends. Lol.

4. George

August 21, 2016 at 11:52 am

Really really enjoyed the video. Kudos

5. BA

August 21, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Lol. I live in Paris and that fake smile thing is same here. Me, I no dey look face. No smiles returned unless I figure that it is in deed genuine.

• le coco

August 21, 2016 at 4:08 pm

Hey Ba,
      I was curious.. do you school in Paris? and if so did you move frm Nigeria? I’ve been looking into furthering my degree in Franc.? what are the chances? are there opportunities for foreign students to find work etc etc? does the alliance française in Nigeria facilitate such programmes or do they have opportunities for Nigerian students to go to France for internships etc etc?
      please help

• Simi

August 21, 2016 at 11:46 pm

You can definitely find a degree program and go to France from Nigeria. Do you have an idea of where in France you would like to study, in terms of the city because Paris is quite expensive and even if you think you can handle that, it helps to research widely. Paris is really crazy expensive compared to most of France especially for good housing and transportation. With food, it doesn’t make a difference which city you live because the prices don’t vary that much. Weirdly, a lot of things are cheaper if you are below the age of 26 including bank charges, transport, health insurance. Don’t ask why, cause I don’t understand it either. Such an arbitrary choice of age regardless of whether you are a student or not.

Yes, you can work up to 20 hours/week on a student visa. Probably, the most popular jobs for english-speaking foreign students is babysitting jobs. By Nigerian standards, these don’t pay too bad and some are taxed. I guess if you have other skills, you can find relevant jobs. If you are bilingual, even better! But not to worry, in Paris more than other cities, you can get by without speaking a lot of French.

As much as I know, the Alliance Francaise in Lagos does not facilitate internships in France but may be able to connect you with Alliance Francaise here. You can take classes for as long as it takes you to gain proficiency in French. If you asked me, though, there are tons of other language schools in Paris where you can take classes at a fraction of the cost. Of all the ones i know Alliance is the most expensive. Unfortunately, I cannot help you with information on which of these schools can sponsor a student visa.

All said and done, your journey starts at the Campus France office in Nigeria which is located at the Yaba Alliance Francaise branch in Lagos. There is Campus France in Abuja. Not sure of location. They usually do the first visa interview required but you can go there for information too according to them. Ask about scholarships, best schools for your course, towns, cost of living etc. Remember that the same person will be interviewing you when you need the visa, so on your first fact-finding visit, please don’t sound like ‘I just want to leave’.

• le coco

August 22, 2016 at 4:51 am

@simi thank you so much. That was so helpful, I will look out for the campus France in Abuja . luckily for me I am already proficient in french so that won’t be a problem.. I know writing DELF helps with application processes.. I am not specifically looking to live in Paris as I figured it wld be ridiculously expensive.. I’m not sure what places like Versailles and Marseille are in terms of cost of living and employability.. also cost of tuition wld be a factor.. I would be looking to do a masters programme or maybe an honours if they have such opportunities and if they have some scholarship programs or even if thy have English tutor programs that wld be great. .. thank you so much once again.. you have been a huge help.

• Pat

August 21, 2016 at 6:48 pm

I call it the 2 second smile. Its so fake that u can even see it from d smile and looks abnormal

• Simi

August 21, 2016 at 11:48 pm

Hahaha. The smiles always get me. If I could figure out how to say it in good French, I’ll have told some lady, ‘You know you are not obligated to smile at me just because our eyes met, right?’

6. African Original

August 21, 2016 at 1:48 pm

And the hedoius weave……Gosh Nigerian girls smh….

• African Original

August 21, 2016 at 1:49 pm

***hideous*****

7. Nigerian Men

August 21, 2016 at 2:09 pm

I’m curious. Do Nigerians in America identify with the whole African-American struggle? Do you guys go on rallies and protest or do you feel like a separate block?
    I also wonder if African-Americans are accepting of Africans? What kind of relationship exists between both blocs?

• Spirit

August 21, 2016 at 2:59 pm

The relationship between Africans and African Americans can be quite complicated. A lot of time and history has passed. Those who are not well-read and lack exposure only know the Africa of CNN and they are ashamed to be associated with what they see as a hopeless continent ravaged by war, poverty and hunger. It is nevertheless possible to forge genuine relationships as with Caucasians it just depends on the individual.

• Red

August 21, 2016 at 11:15 pm

Hi. In most cases, they are not. It’s weird to see that the “Ndi-Ocha” are more accepting and welcoming than the “Ndi-Oji”. As if there is a denial of their African heritage.

8. Stella

August 21, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Please, I am intrested in doing a 1 year college degree program in canada, what are my chances of getting work and maybe my work papers

• Red

August 21, 2016 at 11:12 pm

Usually, Canada gives you work permit equivalent to the length of years spent in school. So, for a 3year program, you get 3years. But it depends on the viability of your school and program as well. All the best.

9. olekanma

August 21, 2016 at 7:09 pm

I won’t lie, this video saved me from ordering my pizza, garlic bread and chicken wings!! the food hustle is real 🙁

10. Klaire

August 21, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Word!

11. toju

August 21, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Always a good idea to stand out and be unique. Any time am in the US for work, I wear lots of Ankara pieces, beautifully stoned or beaded. The comments I get are fantastic, I feel a sense of pride when I tell the oyibos my outfit is from Nigeria and not from any of their stores.
    Keep repping Naija positively anyway you can!

12. Hadassah

August 21, 2016 at 10:50 pm

Wow thanks ladies ,this is really enlightening and timely too.I am trying to work my admission to one of the schools in Florida,you know daily the thoughts of going to a different environment,learning new culture and traditions,differences in educational systems sometimes scares me.The video was hilarious and enlightening.Please for further curious questions,how do we contact you?God Bless.

13. Kay

August 22, 2016 at 1:43 am

I returned to Nigeria last year and I was depressed for so long. I couldn’t take it. I gained a lot of weight and found it so hard to integrate back into my own country!!!! I had been away for so long after my studies. I met a really nice guy heading back out of the country and I was on my way out too. We got married and left and all depression disappeared. I think the universe read my energy very well and brought someone who felt exactly how I felt and we relocated back together. I also got my old job back surprisingly. So I understand the feeling of what am I going back to. Now I understand not everyone might get this opportunity, but hey if you can, why not.

My own opinion is whatever you want to study, have a 10 year plan, it doesn’t matter what uncertainties are there. When you want it so bad you give out an energy that attracts exactly what you want and bam!, its done. Cos I must add that I pray a lot!

• Grace

August 22, 2016 at 4:06 pm

If you had not returned at all, maybe you wouldn’t have met the guy. In my opinion, most Niger guys born and bred in Nigeria though have travelled for studies act differently.

14. wendy

August 22, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Yup to the accessibility.

Let me put it this way…. A Rich man’s diet in Nigeria is a Poor Man’s Diet or Not health conscious in America.

15. wendy

August 22, 2016 at 2:01 pm

About the Uniqueness, Naija people fail in that department.

16. wendy

August 22, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Yes, you are correct that it is not a privilege to eat all those food. Unfortunately, it is a privilege in naija to have access to all these food.