Features

Anne Mmeje: In Defense of Rich Kids – They Work As Hard As the Rest of Us

dreamstime_m_37722477This past June, when BellaNaija ran the story of Rotimi Williams, a 35-year old enterpreneur who owns the second largest rice farm in Nigeria, the comments were positive, calling the story  inspirational, that is, until someone mentioned that Rotimi is President Obasanjo’s son-in-law.

The tone of the comments changed from there. Somebody wrote, “Abeg I don’t like this story anymore; ain’t nothing wrong in saying a Lil truth. If OBJ is your father in-law, then he has his hands on it”-reflecting our preference for rag-to-riches tales. The credit went to OBJ despite the fact that in the interview Rotimi said that he learned all about rice farming  from Google by downloading every article he could find on rice production, consuming it and then practicing it in the fields.

Children who have rich or famous parents live in their parents’ shadows. Besides the expectation that they fill their parents’ often big shoes, rich and famous kids also have the unenviable task of proving that their success is the result of their own accomplishments and not crumbs from their parents’ tables.

Except they take unusual measures to prove, and always remind people, that they are smart in their own right, they are rarely given credit, however hard they work.

Take Joe Hill, son of famed horror writer Stephen King,  for example, When Joe first started his writing career, he concealed his identity from publishers and editors, wrote under a pseudonym, and collected his own shares of rejection letters. Reflecting back he said, “I had to know that if someone bought one of my stories they’d bought it for the right reasons – that it is a good story – and not because of who my dad is.”

Only after Hill had published more than twenty short stories under the pseudonym, won a bundle of awards and seen his debut novel reach number eight on the New York Times bestseller list, did he disclose his identity. He made it the hard way, like the rest of us. Yet, I imagine that even with this backstory, some people will still attribute his success to his famous father.

Rich kids who choose careers entirely different from their father’s are judged less. For all his eccentricities, Charly Boy escaped his Supreme Court Justice father’s (Oputa) shadow because he (Charly) pursued a career world’s apart from his father’s. Good luck to Mohammed Fawehinmi (Late Gani Fawehinmi’s son) topping his father’s legacy.

The cloud of perceived nepotism eclipse and taint the success of, not just kids, but also spouses of famous people. Before her husband’s 2016 convention speech that portrayed her as a nerd long before they began dating (what says nerdier than  a female college student who wears big glasses but not lipsticks) and his reference to their first meeting being in a Political and Civil Rights’ class, I wasn’t overly excited about a Hillary Clinton presidency.

I’d thought that her career in Politics was influenced by her husband’s, that somehow–please pardon me–she was fake. Whatever accomplishment she made as First Lady (State and Federal), Senator and Secretary of State are undermined by her husband’s presidency.While researching for this post, I learned that even before she met Bill, amid a roaring applause, people whispered that she could be the first female President of the United States after a commencement address she gave at Wellesley College.

Admittedly, nepotism has its place, (and I have argued that it’s not that bad as we all benefit from it at one point or another). However, it’s important we reconsider the judgements we pass on our mates whose only crime is being born with silver spoons.

I was inspired to write this post after reading comments made here  on Adanna Ohakim’s vlog this week. While some of the negative comments stem from people’s perception that she is “so out there”–which by the way is one way to make money these days (See Uche Pedro‘s “A Richer You in 2016″)– some suggested that people hated her, and DJ Cuppy, because of their parents’ wealth. Reading the negative comments, my heart bled as it had for every derogatory comment written on every one of her vlog.

Adanna has a German husband, is an identical twin, a naturalista, a medical doctor, an immigrant etc., attributes that make her life less boring than those of her over 150,000  Youtube subscribers.

Moreover, her vlogs are educative. I’m wearing kinky braids I made myself which I learned from watching this tutorial she made, thus saving at least $100 I would have spent in a salon. In the vlog, Adanna also recommended to reuse the kinky hair which I now do.

Perhaps if we knew the hard work that goes into making a good vlog–filming, editing and administering a Youtube account with over 150,000 subscribers, we would, rather than focus on her pedigree (something neither she nor we have control over), learn good work ethics from her and find ways to make money online like she does from her several endorsements (something we have control over).

While there are valid safety reasons to keep one’s affairs private,  one must acknowledge that every trade involves a trade-off.  So if an intelligent woman decides that baring her belly for a pregnancy photo shoot is an occupational hazard she is willing to endure, we have no standing to  counsel otherwise. I made a similar argument in favor of the Kardashians when people were outraged that Time Magazine acknowledged “the kids with no talent” as influential. Kids with a combined net worth of over a 1oo million dollars.

Rich kids who work hard deserve our respect as many of them have no reason to hustle like most of us do. They don’t enjoy the luxury of the motivation we have to strive for decent shelter, go on vacations etc., because most times their parents have acquired wealth that can last generations.

I work hard so that my kids can become rich kids. I do hope that when they so become, someone will stand up in their defense when people attempt to undermine their successes.

P.S:  Although I am a freelance writer, nobody contacted or paid me to write this post. Since I started braiding my own hair in the past few months with the help of Adanna’s tutorial, I have saved hundreds of dollars. This is my way of thanking her.

Photo Credit: Atholpady | Dreamstime.com

1. Iris

September 5, 2016 at 6:54 pm

I get your point and I appreciate it, but I think you should examine the other side more closely. While on the surface it may all seem like hate, allow me to suggest that if these people’s parents were known to have made their money honestly, there wouldn’t be as many negative comments and while they may work hard, it is that Ill gotten wealth that gave them the opportunities they used to make their way in the world. I don’t know about Otedola’s money so I won’t go there. Maybe some people don’t like the fact that his daughter is famous for being a DJ as they don’t think of it is a career. Maybe they just love to hate. Personally I think she’s helped to open up society’s eyes to the possibilities of different careers or part time jobs. Adanna’s story is different. Some might say she’s too ‘out there’ but I can bet anything it stems from a bitterness that her leg-up very possibly came from money that rightly belonged to the whole country. This therefore makes the examples of Joe Hill and to some degree, Hilary Clinton, non-applicable.
    Also, I haven’t heard anyone hate on Falz. He’s Femi Falana’s son.
    My point is, there will always be jealousy and there will be senseless hate (eg with Eku Edewor a few years ago), but it isn’t always just that.

• Lacey

September 6, 2016 at 6:05 am

@Thank you Iris! I could not even correlate whatever the writer was trying to buttress!nobody is hating on anybody !Stephen King’s son clearly understood what they call being nouveau!people baring their minds as per rogue politicians kids trying to pass themselves as innovative minds on top Nigerian stolen wealth have fun!I have travelled the world studied in the Uk and in the US and I do not give a monkey on rich kids who would have been nothing if not for the platform of stolen monies!so those that worship them good luck to you all, it is poverty mentality that is at work!none of you should have the audacity to blame Buhari as well!as this set of people from 1985 until 2015 stole Nigeris blind! Since you have sold your birthright, they will continue to fritter away wealth meant for you and your fourth generation !as you guys are the one seeing red in Nigeria right now!Even if I decide to move to Nigeria tomorrow,I still will not be under the austerity that you guys are suffering as the wealth God has given me is everlasting!Isacc sowed and reaped a 100 folds even during intense famine!

• Lenny

September 6, 2016 at 8:18 am

But did anyone “hate” on the couple who own Ying Yang and Ice-cream Factory when their story was published here on BN?

Let me tell you, that couple is also from a privileged background. I went to school with Shade (nee) Olagbaju, so I know. And I have mutual friends with her hubby.
      However, their entire story and vibe DO NOT reek of spoilt over indulgence, much unlike the likes of Adanna, Maky Benson, Abi KD, DJ Cuppy and her sister Temi. For these people I mentioned, there’s absolutely nothing to aspire to, except to pray to be reincarnated into a rich family. What hard work?

And do not come at me with Stephen King. Did he make his money through political corruption and stealing the common wealth of American citizens? Didn’t he write books that millions loved and turned into major blockbusters?

– Sell me stories of inspiration and hard work without stolen funds backing you up.
      – I also want to get into large scale farming knowing I can never have OBJ (one of the wealthiest and most ruthlessly strategic farmers ever liveth) as my support system.
      – I also want an “interesting lifestyle” but not with money my father used to rob a state blind and send people to their early graves through lack of basic medical care – yes my uncle died in Imo state during Ohakim’s tenure, because they didn’t have enough medicine at the general hospital.
      – I also want to flaunt a “luxury lifestyle blog” and a store selling the most expensive designer wear, but not when my dad is owing thousands of poor civil servants their salaries and allowances in Oyo state

All we’re saying is that if you know (and trust me these kids know), that your daddy or mummy did or is doing shady things at the expense of the well being of the public, please be sensitive and flaunt the resultant money less.
      Or at the very least, don’t try to insult our intelligence by making it look like what you do is a proper “hustle”.

Thank you.

• Uberhaute looks

September 6, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Anne, I’ll tell you the difference using myself as an example.
      I graduated with 2:1 but no job cos of age (30+), married and mother status plus no rich connection.
      I learnt makeup alongside another lady married to one of the Northern Elite (no beefing). Her studio was already set even before she came to learn, her products all shipped from US,
      Even though I am a bit better than her in class and after graduation, she has the connection and has gone ahead to build a successful career for herself while I’m still building mine from scratch. I’m even still fortune because I know some who can’t even boast of fees therefore, I have to do pro bono training for them or discount prices for products bought.
      In essence, our stories can’t ever be the same even if you try to pass it off as one

2. So

September 5, 2016 at 6:56 pm

Blah blah blah (rolls eyes).

• Bee

September 5, 2016 at 7:47 pm

And your type thinks you’ll be rich one day with this nasty attitude! how childish. @ Writer, many here are just bitter jare. They hate on everything, people’s relationships, weddings, money, nice things …. Basically everything

• Fani

September 5, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Grow up. People are just beefing them. Many here talking about advantages also had more than the average man on the streets. If you ever want to become rich better stop hating. It’s a typical Nigerian attitude though. It’s only in Nigeria that a man that can afford a bike will tell you how he hates Range Rovers because they are too common, give him a key to one and see him change mouth ASAP.

3. Hills

September 5, 2016 at 7:04 pm

Lol at the disclaimer. I’ve always wondered why BN commenters (not all) like to hate on kids of rich people. Oh well, people will still criticise this article.

4. Just my 1 Cents

September 5, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Although I agree with your central message, you are using the wrong examples of people in Nigeria. They are better hardworking “rich kids” than those you mentioned. They just don’t make noise.

There are 2 types of rich people in Nigeria. The fake rich (politicians, celebrities etc) and the real rich (anonymous). Let me tell you, the real rich WORK HARD and don’t make any noise. As a result, most Nigerians don’t even know who they are. They will pass right in front of you, and you will not suspect a thing. The fake rich folks are the ones that make the loudest noise. That’s why I tell people to not believe anything they see on social media. Most of these fake rich folks are BROKE.

The thing I have with fake “rich kids”, especially in Nigeria is that they show off way to much and have nothing significant to contribute to the society with all their power. Just live a humble life. See Dangote. Have you heard anything from his daughters??

• slice

September 5, 2016 at 8:59 pm

I think being a doctor confirms you as real rich. She worked hard for her education. Adanna that us. I hv respect for people who can study to become doctors. Its not beans

• Na

September 6, 2016 at 8:23 am

It’s not beans abi?

Like she had to struggle to get her fees paid like many other med students?

Or she had to work part time to sustain herself like many other med students?

Or she had to use ill-equipped libraries or outdated text books like many other med students in Nigeria?

Or she had to walk for miles under the hot sun to get from one lecture theatre to the next like many other med students in Nigeria?

No doubt that studying medicine is tasking.
      BUT ABEG, Adanna’s study was made waaaaaaaaaay easier through the privileges of being the daughter of a thieving politician.

• Seriously

September 5, 2016 at 10:21 pm

True. I believe, it’s the attitude behind being rich. People are more welcoming to rich American kids because a lot of times they “try” to act normal and don’t rub it in your face. American system may favor them but they can’t bribe their success like how it happens in Nigeria. Most of these rich nigerians got there through corruption it’s not HARD EARNED money while majority of Nigerians are SUFFERING. At least in other countries, the middle class is stable. Many Nigerian rich kids are spoilt brats who only brag about their parent’s money. Nigerian society make you treat them like they are better than you. They walk around like their shit don’t stink. They want all attention, service on them. The last time I visited Abuja with my dad, we went swimming and played tennis. My dad is friends with a governor. So, we hung out with his kids. I was so irritated bcos they all acted like they are were superior and talked disrespectful to other people. We had a convo about vacation spots, and I said I have a thing for Asia and the islands. Then she said, since I haven’t been to Dubai, she will take me there. She goes there at least three times a month in a condescending tone. Meanwhile, I have been to Dubai, she assumed bcos she’s full of herself. Then insulted one of their house help, her bag cost her whole life so she should be careful with it. I was disgusted. Don’t get me started on the arrogant rich boys, they think all girls want them and can treat girls anyhow.
      Nigerians in general have a messed up mentality about power and wealth. Those hating if they get rich will act the same way. That’s the sad part about it.

• Derin87

September 6, 2016 at 12:22 am

Your example makes zero sense, a persons character does not define their wealth. Take Abi-KD (Ajimobi) for example, I believe she has 4 siblings, a lot of people don’t know them, she’s the only noise maker in the family…so what do you call that?

• aj

September 6, 2016 at 2:15 am

Seriously is telling the truth! seriously ride on jare! their wealth sure defines their character.

• Seriously

September 6, 2016 at 12:37 pm

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, to test a man’s character give him power” Abraham Lincoln.

Yeah, some poor people are arrogant with nasty attitude but wealth/money can be easily used to oppress, intimidate, treat others like they are lower and just blatantly disrespectful. Your example made zero sense though. One sibling shows off her dad’s money, the others don’t do it on social media. What’s the correlation there?
      Through my experience, I saw how these rich kids behaved, talked down on others, consider themselves superior and believed they had right to treat others less privilege like garbage.

What is interesting about most wealthy Nigerians is, they don’t use their wealth to build the community, help others and invest in the interest of humanity. They sit on it, and abuse others with it. Then it’s easily justified bcos they are rich.

• Seriously

September 6, 2016 at 12:43 pm

@derin87
      Well, just bcos the other siblings are not noise makers doesn’t mean they have a healthy balanced mindset being rich kids. They probably are more scared of other people’s criticism.
      I don’t care if your dad is rich, just act normal and treat others with respect regardless of your money status.

• Just my 1 Cents

September 6, 2016 at 3:25 am

@ seriously, you are right. I’m not a fan of spoilt rich kids and their attitude. Most of these kids don’t have a future outside their family’s wealth. I respect those who use their wealth wisely in investments and co. The real rich make the least noise bc they are more humble.

@ Derin87 , Wealth is actually a state of being rather than the amount of money you have. Why do you think so much “rich” folks in the world live in depression, do hard drugs, & commit suicide? Not to mention that a lot of rich folks in Nigeria die early.

Tbh, Nigerians generally (both rich, middle class, & poor) have a very messed up mentality. The fake rich oppress the lower class. The lower&middle class assumes you have to be fraudulent to be rich, therefore some end up engaging in fraudulent activities to no avail. A lot of Nigerians will do anything, even kill to become “rich”. There are many poorer countries in the world who don’t have our messed up mentality (ex. Nepal). Our problems extend beyond poverty. There is greed in the blood.

5. Ade

September 5, 2016 at 7:10 pm

Most of it is just envy ( exception is cases where the parents stole our money) . When I read all the hate filled comments I just shake my head because the same people writing those comments are busying praying and looking for ways to be rich forgetting that if they succeed ( unlikely because you don’t attract what you hate on) their kids will be in the same position as the people they are hating on. Many people are just hate filled sha and social media allows people to hide and spew the hate in their envious hearts. You’ll be checking out someone’s Instagram page yet complaint she’s materialistic for buying expensive things ( even though she worked hard for her money) or she’s attention seeking yet you keep checking ! What kind of hypocrisy is that! Even news of someone’s engagement will turn into an opportunity for some to throw shade or try and reveal things that are no one’s business. Many people just find it hard to be happy for others yet na them claim religious pass!

6. Darius

September 5, 2016 at 7:16 pm

I understand what you are driving at, but you should also understand that kids from affluent homes enjoy privileges that other kids whose parents are not so well off don’t enjoy. Rice cultivation is time-consuming, and capital-intensive. If Rotimi learnt all about rice farming from articles he gleaned from google, he sure didn’t get funds to start his farm from google too. To own a vlog and be successful, you need a high-definition camera. And a quality camera doesn’t come cheap. Ask jumia! I have met kids with exceptionally brilliant ideas but they lack the wherewithal to bring their ideas to life. Truthly speaking, being from a rich family gives you an edge in life. To make money, you also need money(capital).

• Ngozi

September 5, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Yes they have an advantage over others but is that a reason to always say Nasty things about them or hate on them? Is it their fault they were born to rich parents ? If it was you would you turn down those advantages? Your parents sending you to good private schools gives you an advantage over others that went to some bad public schools , should they hate you then and try and belittle your success? Those of you who got a chance to school abroad or travel and get exposure does that mean those who didn’t should hate you? Compared to someone you are also a rich kid with advantages they didn’t get. Why should they have to apologize for their families success? Aren’t we all hoping to be rich and give our kids all the advantages we can? Any one hating rich kids is just bitter! If the persons attitude is bad that’s different but many times here it’s just people bashing them because of plain old jealousy

• Darius

September 5, 2016 at 8:14 pm

For the record, I don’t hate rich kids, and I didn’t give the impression that I did. I only stated a universally accepted truth.

• Ngozi

September 5, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Not saying you do Darius, just saying that’s not an excuse for those who do because at the end of the day we all have an advantage over someone else but that doesn’t negate our successes

7. Darius

September 5, 2016 at 7:19 pm

.Truthfully speaking*

8. Lulu

September 5, 2016 at 7:21 pm

This article is pointless because it at the end of the day, these people have a greater advantage than the “common man” only because they were born into money. Nobody is saying they are not hardworking. What they are saying is that if my neighbor at Mushing, Abike wants to be a DJ, she will not go on a world tour to get her career “started”. How will she even find Dangote to DJay for his birthday party. Your argument is invalid to the max.

• Bee

September 5, 2016 at 7:54 pm

If your parents are middle class then you also have an advantage over the “common” man. Many of you here got oppourtunies the common man didn’t get yet you are hating those who had more than you. It’s just hypocrisy. Would you it be fair for people from a lower class than your parents to then hate on you because they feel you had more advantages and try and rubbish your achievements? Other people have the advantages they did but didn’t do anything with it and chose instead to eat Mum and Dad’s money so why are you lot bitter towards those who are trying to make something of themselves despite their parents wealth?

• BlueEyed

September 5, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Thank you Lulu, people have time to write pointless articles, this writer just wanted the comments, this whole debate is absolutely pointless (I was only 2 likes into this and I was already exhausted) and just aims at stirring an unnecessary debate, I mean the world over, people from privileged homes enjoy better benefits than the average joe’s, I mean bright ideas suffer because of zero upstart or a lot more struggle to the finish line, whilst not so bright minds enjoy a smoother sail, because in the end the bank roll is there. So please Mr/Mrs writer, I’m still trying to imagine whatever went through your head with such a title. (I didn’t bother to read the rest)

9. Tru

September 5, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Haters gon’ hate. That is the sad truth. At the end of the day sha, after all the hating, folks will still give an eye and an arm if it would get them facetime with any of these rich kids. Also, in spite of all the hate talk, these rich kids continue to advance. Who’s losing in the end?

• aj

September 5, 2016 at 7:49 pm

spoken like a real airhead brat!

10. MurderSheWrote

September 5, 2016 at 7:26 pm

you were very bored to come up with this rubbish article. voltron, defender of the universe.

• Ngozi

September 5, 2016 at 7:41 pm

Try not to be so bitter

• MurderSheWrote

September 5, 2016 at 9:14 pm

you are so stupid. nowadays anyone that says anything contrary to your own idea is “bitter” like STFU already. that word is beginning to sound stale lol look for another word alread, sweet ngozi.

11. Thatgidigirl

September 5, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Anne, I think most of the animosity towards rich kids success stories especially in Nigeria stems from their parent’s association with corruption. Unfortunately a lot of people (including me) find it difficult to acknowledge or stomach success stories that have been marinated with stolen tax payers’ money.
    Furthermore, people want stories that give them hope. That’s why Walt Disney productions are a success, they sell hope…. A poor girl becomes a princess etc. The leverage that rich kids have are sometimes a distraction from the motivation their stories can give. Especially in a country as hard as Nigeria where a large percentage are living below the poverty line, a lot of people are inspired by success stories that let them know that their current state isn’t a limitation to their dream. You can’t imagine the glimmer of hope the likes of daddy showkey and patoranking have given a lot of young men with talent on the street but without the means to project. The mentality of “if he can do it so can I” goes a long way.
    I acknowledge that there are hard working and inspiring rich kids with values worth emulating, (Arese Ugwu is one of them and I totally adore that lady) But please don’t try to make it seem like our struggles are similar or that they don’t have a head start in life. While the regular dj on the street with dope talent is hopping on and off bikes around town for years trying to validate his talent, Aunty cuppy fresh out of school is starting from the top of the ladder, signing autographs and landing gigs that we all know daddy’s name got her. How exactly are we supposed to take you seriously when your CV can’t speak for you? Even in human growth you have to crawl before you walk right?

• molarah

September 5, 2016 at 10:24 pm

“Furthermore, people want stories that give them hope…”

Dear writer, you started your article wondering why Rotimi’s story lost its appeal once the OBJ connection came out. That line up there, quoted from the comment I’m replying, is the short and simple answer.

I have nothing to say about the rest of this article…

• Sisi

September 6, 2016 at 12:11 pm

This is it, whilst some are ‘haters’ – you will always have haters in life – others are simply stating facts, speaking from a place of valid grievance. A lot of people who come on Bella have a ‘priviledge’ that the common poverty striken man living on less that $2 a day in Nigeria doesn’t have however the majority didn’t earn that ‘priviledge’ from their parents essentially channelling the nations public funds for private gain. The poorest don’t have a voice and it’s insensitive of this writer through this ill written post to class valid grievances as unfounded and expect that ‘we’ have to be nice and lap up all display of excess and luxury (hard work where?) with oooos and ahhhss. Whilst derogatory comments aren’t called for, the average Nigerian has every right to raise concern/feel cheated at the majority of these rich kids lifestyles based off funds that would would have gone into funding better educational, healthcare, infrastructure services. If the shoe fits wear it, if it doesn’t then this isn’t applicable. To those that work hard (Arese stands out to me) – kudos, please acknowledge even if just within yourself that your hard working hard is relative. To those striving to be rich making use of the ‘average priviledges’ made available to them work hard and keep at it – I pray your hard work pays off. To those starting right at the bottom – we pray for a better nation that can provide basic public services and safety nets to catch you when you fall so that your future generations will be better off. However this article right here is why alot of people are suffering – excusing wrong doing! Writer I assume the riches you plan for your children will not be accumulated through the diversion (theft) of public funds. Essay over 🙂

• Obi

September 6, 2016 at 1:23 pm

The truth right there. End of.

• honey

September 6, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Err please, Dj Cuppy actually worked to get where she is. I remember being in uni in 08/09 and hearing about her aspirations to be a Dj and then playing at clubs in London just to make a name for herself. Does it help that she’s an Otedola? Most likely, But let’s not undermine her efforts because her dad is wealthy.

12. aj

September 5, 2016 at 8:00 pm

abegi! i know of rich Nigerian kids who will be lying that their parents did not raise them to feel rich but they think they are better than the struggling class of Nigerians and if their parents were to die today they would crumble to pieces.Anne If you like be defending them..you are just deceiving yourself.

13. Josephine

September 5, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Wow, some rather bitter people here. Sorry, o.

14. mrs chidukane

September 5, 2016 at 9:24 pm

Adanna ohakim is a very nice girl. I used to know her casually. My problem with her is that she got her come up on the back of stolen wealth from imo state people. It really pains me when I see these thieving politicians kids flaunting their lavish lifestyles. It does because I see how people suffer while they enjoy themselves.

15. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

September 5, 2016 at 9:48 pm

????????????????????? LIPS SEALED.

16. Chy

September 5, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Of all the rich kids, you wrote only about Adanna Ohakim. Aunty don’t worry, I know she paid you. Sometimes she and her sisters will change their monikers to defend her on BN.
    For this article, since you wrote about Adanna, Madam pls travel to Imo State and ask the Imos how Ikedi Ohakim governed them. Without their dad becoming the governor and the state’s money that he looted, do you think they will study overseas? Before their dad became governors, the twins were both in ABSU. He used the state’s moi-moi and gave his kids the best at the expense of the common man’s kids. Those type of success doesn’t move me at all b/c stolen money is behind it.
    The writer should have also written that Kendall Jenner works her ass off too thats why she gets high modelling gigs. Mtchwwww. Ana agba egbe onu ju na mmadu ama nu ife.

• Chy

September 5, 2016 at 9:59 pm

*she practically defended Adanna all in the name of defending rich kids*lol

17. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

September 5, 2016 at 10:00 pm

I will always say this NEVER HATE THE RICH IF NOT YOU WILL DIE IN POVERTY. IT IS LIKE A COMMUNICABLE DISEASE.

18. Becca

September 5, 2016 at 10:57 pm

I think you have written an interesting article and from your reasoning, it would seem like you have had a relatively easier and more advantageous start in life. Please do not take this in the offensive. First of all, no one is disputing that rich kids do not put in effort, our ideas generally come to life because we have invested effort, however “rich kids” have an edge- what you refer to as crumbs off their parents tables. Please take note that these are not crumbs, would you feed crumbs to your children?
    See, credit will be given where and when due regardless of your background. That being said, if person A had a significantly easier time achieving same feat as person B simply because person A had access to certain resources that made that achievement easier, of course more credit would be given to person B as this person “worked” harder. I believe that you are undermining the fact that the world is not a level playing ground and some are lucky enough to have it easier than others. While you are simply considering the money here, you forget the plethora of opportunities and lifestyle advantages that come with having money. These include very good formal education, extensive and diverse professional network easier access to capital and other resources, internal exposure amongst others. For example Adanna Ohakim did not go to university in Nigeria, hence the chances of meeting her German husband and having such a diverse and enriched lifestyle were significantly higher. Please, how many average Nigerian families can afford to send their kids to university abroad, place their kids on a level playing ground with their counterparts in a global environment so they can meet partners from a different race and become more culturally and intellectually diverse individuals?
    Yes, rich kids have talent and certainly they work hard but it does not take as much time nor effort as it takes another kid of same age and even same abilities from a lower socioeconomic class to make same impact of equal magnitude. Personally, I do not support the insults and the constant backlash. I believe that credit should be given where and when due and people’s achievements should be celebrated regardless of their economic status.
    That being said, I could not resist the urge to add that DJ Cuppy is not the most talented female DJ around and her body of work is not very impressive, perhaps if she did this as a hobby but professionally…

19. Van Gogh

September 5, 2016 at 11:31 pm

Story for the goods. I still don’t understand the analogy with OBJ. I don’t know if you’re aware of OBJ antics with operation feed the nation. I am not a hater. One day you will tell me that abacha children are one of the most hardworking people you know. Madame leave talk for Matthias

20. ....

September 6, 2016 at 12:15 am

May we always have more than enough to do what ever we want. Haters gonna hate. @[email protected] together we rule the world.

• aj

September 6, 2016 at 2:28 am

lol

21. nnenne

September 6, 2016 at 1:27 am

There are so many kids from rich homes who grow up spoilt lazy, useless and nobodies.
    I have much respect for a young lady who stayed focus and completed medical school at 26 years, regardless of who their parents are. More so, when they studied in a place, where no one knows their parents and they couldn’t have cheated in school.
    The same lady, is vlogging, raising a family
    (without house maids), and getting residency done.
    A lot of the people winning and complaining on BN, cannot commit to doing these things.
    Adana Ohakim, whose father ruled Imo state for FOUR years have earned my love and respect!

Like the writer, I don’t know her and don’t need to know her.

Truth is, there is much jealousy among our people., especially women against women.
    How about people who work 9 to 5?
    Just come home for Christmas and dress up and watch how some people look at you like you committed a crime. Like how dare you relax and party, have an ordinary barbecue when I am miserable.
    These people have no knowledge of how hard you have been working through out the year before you get the opportunity to relax and unwind.
    That’s why some people would rather vacation away from folks!

Sometimes, when you get an insight into the lives of the so called rich people, you would beg to remain where you are. We all have different blessing. Let’s all discover ours and be happy.

22. "changing moniker"

September 6, 2016 at 3:51 am

hahaha…..so you know that it reads like a paid article. …don’t lose your “writing integrity “(if there’s a word like that) for bread morsels.

23. I_I

September 6, 2016 at 4:30 am

I don’t particularly care take note of who’s father stole money or not, and I have a few of these guys as my friend. However, every now and then, you come face to face with real poverty (not the lagos variant ooo = I’m talking human debris – Ogbomoso style), and you get down-cast cos you know your friend’s folks had a hand in inflicting this much suffering on so many people. HAve you gone to Tinubu square at past 9pm to see the hordes sleeping on the road? Or driven past Marina at 5am in the morning and seen so many sleeping under staircases and what not? A few times after I have had such experiences, and I meet with these friends, I’m very uncomfortable, and just thinking in my head ‘what sort of people are these?’ On the other hand, the ones whose fathers made legit money, I’m always happy to associate with them, so that maybe a bit of their magic could rub off on me – God knows we all need to learn from these few folks how they navigated the murky waters of Nigeria.

This article although well-intentioned is very insensitive; forget those beggars in traffic, there are some places you would go to in this same Lagos, and you come away with your heart churning when you see people living lives worse than animals would.What am I even saying? I know a lot of middle-class kids that attended private universities rotting away without jobs especially in this economy – infact I met an old friend earning 30k – a graduate from a private uni ooo. This is someone a couple of years older than me – someone we used to sneak out of school to party – and no, he is not a third class graduate + uni was 7 years ago. How would he get his own apartment, have common girl-friend, buy clothes -start off his life?

You cannot simply ask us to sweep the fact that these people are products of ill-gotten wealth under the table.

• Iris

September 6, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Thank you. She makes it seem like some of these people’s parents just worked hard and got rich.
      I guess they did – at stealing! That’s all o. Not earn some and steal 5 percent. All of it, thief-thief.
      In fact, after I commented the first time the enormity of how much was ignored hit me and I started getting angry. You may as well have come and told us not to be annoyed if Abacha’s children are successful business owners, which they probably are sef. Mtchew.

24. Lacey

September 6, 2016 at 6:14 pm

This Lady always writes senseless articles that lacks depth!I will not be wasting my time reading anything from her anymore!