BN TV

BN TV: “How I Make My Sunday Special Asaro (Yam Porridge)” on Bukie’s Kitchen Muse

In this new video from Bukie’s Kitchen Muse, Bukie shows us how she makes Asaro, also known as Yam Porridge. Here’s what she said;

Hey Lovelies, on todays episode I try my hands on ‘Party Asaro’ or what I like to call my Sunday Special Yam Porridge. The steps are pretty straight forward. I hope you try out this recipe some time. Bon appetit.

Watch the Video

1. Niyoola

September 13, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Please Ma, it is called Yam POTTAGE.

Porridge is basically Oats. E.g: quaker oats.

You are welcome ma.

• Anon

September 13, 2016 at 3:36 pm

I don’t think oats own the monopoly to the name porridge!

“Yam porridge (or yam pottage) is an Igbo dish known as awai”

Nigerians have accepted both names.

• Lala

September 13, 2016 at 7:24 pm

@Anon, for where yam pottage pass be Igbo food?

• Anon

September 13, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Lala – you think Igbos don’t have their own version? Big chunky pieces of yam with a lot of green vegetable? Awai.

Similar to asaro/ebe that has a lot of mashed yam and small pieces of yam.

The sentence in quotes was got off the net.

2. Tosin

September 13, 2016 at 4:22 pm

Asaro as a Sunday special – nice idea. I’m stealing that, thanks.

• The Kitchen Muse

October 11, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Great!

3. ACE

September 13, 2016 at 4:26 pm

My own is I don’t like the idea of adding sugar that’s all. I have had it before, I really didn’t like the sugar in it.

• The Kitchen Muse

October 11, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Quite a few people don’t, it’s personal preference really.

4. Neka - just minding my business

September 13, 2016 at 4:28 pm

It’s Ok to point this out @Niyoola I’m certain 80% of Nigerians are guilty of interchanging these word as is aslo the case with soup and stew – which I’m sure you also fall a victim of. It’s Nigerian nomenclature Sis’. That said at the end of the day, Bukie’s showcasing local recipes that have original names founded in local languages and translated to English. It’s like asking if Ojojo is yam fritters or yam balls – who cares. We get what she’s talking about. So next time cut us all some slack and be smart ass and try commenting on the recipes itself next time. No shade!

• The Kitchen Muse

October 11, 2016 at 1:28 pm

Thank you Neka. It’s certainly ok to point it out. We all have used a slightly different word to refer to something, what I believe is important is that people know what is being referred to and that the message isn’t lost.

5. felinda

September 13, 2016 at 7:14 pm

cholesterol alert

6. The Kitchen Muse

October 11, 2016 at 1:25 pm

Thank you for the lesson. I’ll still call it Yam Porridge though cos that’s what a lot of my people call it.