BN TV

BN TV: “How I Rework My Day-old Rice to Make the Perfect Fried Rice” on Bukie’s Kitchen Muse

On this episode of Bukie’s Kitchen Muse, Bukie shows us how she transforms day old rice into the “perfect fried rice”. Here’s what she said;

“I don’t eat day-old soup. I don’t eat day-old rice. I want my food freshly cooked because that’s how my mother brought me up.” How many times have you heard people around you utter these words (or something similar) when they’re served with food that was cooked and refrigerated for only a couple few days? It gets even worse if your partner is a ‘Mr. Freshly Cooked’

Well, on today’s episode I go through a recipe that I use to re-work left-over food in my home. In this particular case, I had some side dish of cooked rice refrigerated from the day before that clearly wasn’t going to be touched by anyone in my home – irrespective of the hard economic times. So I had it I reworked it into fried rice the following day without anyone even knowing that it was their left-overs from the day before.

I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think in the comments below and please feel free to share how you rework day-old food in your homes. Now that I think about it, I might just make this a series.

Watch the Video

1. queenbee

September 21, 2016 at 8:53 am

Love her but seriously veg shouldn’t be soggy. It’s called fried rice because the veg is fried. That pan is all wrong. A wok is used because it doesn’t allow veg to settle at the bottom and soak in oil. Not fried rice. It looks more like steamed rice with boiled veg. Get a wok!!! Let the oil be hot. Get the veg in there. Let the veg be a bit crispy by turning round the veg continuously. Also get some ginger and scotch bonnet onion and some brown sugar and soy sauce in there before you get the veg in there. Makes a huge oriental flavour outburst. And get some five spice. Also scramble eggs separately and douse in after uve added rice. I think I need my own channel.

• Anon

September 21, 2016 at 2:04 pm

Liver? Gees. Who still uses liver in this day and age? Shredded chicken or beef please. If you want to be stingy, then just use veg.

Why use oil, when there is butter, margarine, lard or even coconut oil spread? Oil has a way of soaking everything in and making it oily. The ones I noted don’t make the final dish oily. Except, you like oily fried rice, then use oil. Good luck.

queenbee – look again, that is a wok. A nice colourful wok in a small size. She scrambled her eggs separately. I take it you didn’t watch. Five spice in fried rice is an overkill. Not needed.

Thyme and curry are not needed in fried rice. Okay, Nigerian fried rice with thyme, curry and liver. So 1990s.

All the veg should be added to the melted butter to fry and not after adding the rice. Yes, to the soggy bit as this avoids it getting soggy.

I won’t use old white rice to make fried rice. the key to making sweet tasting fired rice is using stock/omi eran to parboil the washed rice. The curry is added to the stock and then you don’t need to add again. The thing with adding curry directly to the rice is that it gives it that yellow colour that doesn’t look nice. Thyme is also so over-pouring in taste.

Correct stock will make your fried rice tasty. Try it please. Thanks.

• The Kitchen Muse

October 11, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Lol. Liver because I prefer it in my fried rice. You can use chicken or beef but what if you don’t eat those. Cooking is about personal preference, the recipe is open to tweaking. Food should be made as one likes, there are no hard or fast rules especially as I stated this is how I make mine. I get the tip with the omi eran and that works great too if you’re cooking the rice from scratch.

• The Kitchen Muse

October 11, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Thank you for the lesson. I’ll get a wok next time, I was only showing how I make mine.

2. Grace

September 21, 2016 at 9:09 am

Hmmm, i like the idea.

3. Joy E. Ojo

September 21, 2016 at 10:05 am

My dear with this Buhari recession, this is the way to go. I wash my meat well and reuse if the soup or stew is sour. No wastage at all. By the time I finish with the dish, you wont know its old food. Your brain works and thinks faster when you are broke. Works like magic.

• The Kitchen Muse

October 11, 2016 at 1:37 pm

I totally understand that. One can’t be wasting food these days.

4. seyi

September 21, 2016 at 9:13 pm

So.nothing nice to say about about video. If you know so much, where’s your vlog. I think criticsm should be constructive. She’s human too you know.

• The Kitchen Muse

October 11, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Well said Seyi, thank you.

5. Naijatalk

September 21, 2016 at 9:57 pm

I hate this business of day old white rice for fried rice. Parboiled rice is not the best for fried rice.
    You can get away with day old rice when using Thai scented or unscented rice

• The Kitchen Muse

October 11, 2016 at 1:40 pm

I’ll take note.

6. The Kitchen Muse

October 11, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Well said Seyi, thank you.