Features

Akudo Abengowe-Adebayo: The Wonder & Beautiful Innocence of Children

Akudo AbenogweChildren are special gifts from God, they make you smile even when you don’t want to, and their ability to forgive is amazing. You can beat, spank or scold a child and he/she still comes crying to you, waiting for you to still console them. They also instantly forgive you without any grudges; imagine doing that to an adult! They would first complain and then narrate what wrong you have done them to other people. Then, they go on to analyse the extent of your offence and then hold a grudge or two before deciding whether to forgive you or not. No wonder Jesus, in the Bible, said that we must have the mind of little children if we ever want to make heaven. Even Kanye West in one of his famous rants said that we should ‘listen to the kids y’all’.
Don’t get me wrong, children can stretch your patience to its very limits and derive great joy in seeing you in distress, but they are such joys to be with.

Let me tell you about my daughter. My daughter is special. I know every mother says their child is special but I mean this, she is special. Her uncanny ability to understand people and her surroundings, far beyond her age, amazes me. Sometimes I pause and wonder where her sensitivity and smartness comes from. Let me give you some instances.

One day, I had come home from work, tired and irritable from the long traffic and endless workload. The minute I walked into the house, she ran to me hugged me and said

“Mummy how are you?” my heart melted instantly at her thoughtfulness and I carried her in my arms

“Mummy is fine” I said as I placed a kiss on her forehead. It has become our routine now; she asks me how I am doing regularly.

Another scenario, one day their nanny had annoyed me and I was shouting at her in the kitchen, my daughter walked into the kitchen from their room and asked me.

“Mummy, what is it?” as if she could solve the problem if I told her about it. Of course I stopped my shouting and told her there was nothing wrong. Since then I make conscious effort not to shout to their hearing. God help me!

This one happened recently, just a few days ago. I had been following up on a particular client and the business was put on hold for no justifiable reason. I felt so disappointed especially as I had put every other thing aside to push for that deal. So the next day, I sat in a chair sulking about the whole issue and my daughter walked up to me. She gave me her usual probing stare and when I didn’t respond with a smile at her, she took my hand in hers and said

“Mummy, let’s sing You Are Great!” Something shifted in my heart, I was moved beyond words. There I was sulking about a deal gone wrong and God had to use my little girl to remind me that He is still great and that all will be well. I started singing the song along with her and forgot my troubles.

You see now that my daughter is special and she is only two and half years old. She already exhibits her big sister ish to her younger brother as she will hug and cuddle him whenever he cries; and if she is asked to watch over him for a while, she will do just that – keeping him entertained, so he does not miss either myself or the nanny. When I think of all these little acts of love, I marvel and believe that indeed children are God’s reward. It is my prayer that every woman desiring the fruit of the womb will be blessed and bring forth a child and experience this wonder called children.

Do you have a story of a special moment with your child? Please share.

Akudo Abengowe-Adebayo is a multiple award winner, with over 8 years in the media industry. She also hosts (Love Moments With Akudo) and is CEO of SATT Media, a content and media marketing company. She blogs at Akudosworld. She is married with two adorable kids and loves Jesus with all her being. She is a TV addict, loves dancing and traveling, and a lil gossip now and then. Follow her on [email protected] or [email protected] http://akudosworld.blogspot.com.ng/

1. Prim

November 29, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Lady please use another picture for your segments. This one is a little hard on the eyes.

2. Marlvina

November 29, 2016 at 10:46 pm

Aww so touching and sweet. Children are indeed so adorable. God’s perfect gift to families. Every child is special and unique in the sight of God. They’re a reward from the Lord. As parents, God has given us the mandate to bring up our children in the fear of the Lord. We would be held accountable if they depart from the Lord.

3. BeautifulOnyinye

November 30, 2016 at 12:56 am

Nice one.Kids are wonderful.My daughter is 18 months old and sometimes she’s such a handful and it’s like she wakes up daily thinking ‘what new thing will I do today to drive ‘Onyinye’ crazy'(she still calls me by my first name.Then most times she’s the sweetest thing;when she hugs and kisses me randomly,or the sunshine of her smile or the sparkle of her laughter.I just feel blessed she’s in our lives.

4. Chi

November 30, 2016 at 7:49 am

Why were you shouting at the nanny????

5. Nengi

November 30, 2016 at 9:28 am

My son is 8. He always runs to the door to give me a Big hug everyday when i get home from work. He then proceeds to carry all my load to the room. I really LOVE IT and it makes me soooo happy.

• olorire

November 30, 2016 at 11:03 am

husband material 500 yards

6. Ranyinudo

November 30, 2016 at 9:32 am

I smiled all through this write-up. I can relate! Baby-sitting my nephew is one of the most amazing things in the world. Even though he drives m crazy sometimes, his smiles melts my heart.
    I can’t wait to have my own children noni.
    Pure bliss it would be!

7. faith Onwuka

November 30, 2016 at 10:13 am

Hello Akudo,
    I admire your daughter. She was well nurtured by you.
    I trully agree with you, children are precious gift from Jehovah God.
    Every blessed day I come back from work, one of my sons will asked me that “” Mum how was work today?”. And I will hug him and his siblings , telling them dat work was fine.
    Couple with asking them dat ” How was school today? My boys will give me a sincere smile, saying school was fine, ma.
    My children mean alot to me, that is why I make efforts to instill in them the fear of Jehovah God.
    Cheers Akudo.

8. tee

November 30, 2016 at 7:50 pm

I dont like the all back hair style on Mrs. Adebayo

9. OA

November 30, 2016 at 9:28 pm

To me the hair is very fine oh! Very fine sef…!

My nephew, when he was about 18 months, would always just want to help. He would grab a broom and attempt to sweep the kitchen floor. He had a xylophone with wheels and he automatically converted to his own version of a vacuum cleaner and run it around the house wherever there was carpet. His Nanny cleaned the house as part of her duties so I guess he watched her when she cleaned and felt he could do it too.

Whenever his father would bring home groceries which was always in bulk and set them on the front porch, my small nephew (though he had some mini muscles) would run through the front door to grab stuff and bring them into the house. One day we saw him struggling with a gallon of milk, but he kuku successfully brought it inside. He was such a cutie!

I was staying in my sister’s basement then. Everyday I returned from work, he would follow me downstairs, and follow me from room to room until it was time for his evening bath. He would eat his dinner and come back downstairs again to hang out. He definitely holds a special place in my heart.

He is now 16 years old and I see him turning into such a gentleman. He has a 13 yr-old sister that he has spoiled rotten. He faithfully completes her chores along with his every night before going to bed, makes her breakfast, and packs her lunch daily. Talk about a good kid!