Features

BN Travel: Zainob Fashola Goes to Anambra State For the First Time | Check Out Photos From the Trip

BellaNaija.com

Hello Bella Naija readers, it is Zainob again from ZeeGoes.com and happy, happy, holidays!

I received an invite to experience Anambra through the eyes of a local from a friend that was going back home for his friend’s wedding last weekend. Let’s be real here, when he mentioned that it was going to be a road trip, I started asking every Igbo friend I could think of about the rate of kidnapping in that region. I could already imagine the insults and slap I would chop if my wakadube got me into big wahala because I was doing I.T.K. My friends assured me, with a bemused smirk, to calm down and not to worry about anything but the very long drive ahead of me.I had no mental image of what Anambra would be like, but I knew that the food culture would be amazing and also very affordable.

Experiencing the food culture was number 1 on my list of things to do in Anambra. I also wanted to visit the touristy bits like the caves, visit the local market, experience a proper Anambra wedding, and squeeze in whatever unique experiences that came my way. I did not get to see some bits of Anambra as I would have liked but what I did get to experience blew my mind.

To properly tell my story of Anambra, I created a short video highlighting my total experience. Check it out and let me know what you think. I would also love to go back next year, so let me know what to look out for when I do go back.

Watch the video here:

1. Frank teacher

December 21, 2016 at 12:14 am

Nnem , I didn’t watch yet, but know this, I don’t blame you for the whole kidnap ITK , “classic man” should take the fall for that one.
    Thanks for showcasing this fyne state, my friend will say; “Willie is working…”

2. Avuekwe Ada mazi

December 21, 2016 at 1:27 am

Bia nwanyi a, I di sure na owu anambra ka I jere? I see omu aro ndi arochukwu. Please respect that wrapper. No be wetin dey dey tire stay house or Waka about. SMH and you want us to clap for you after the insult. Kpa cha ra anya gi

• ADA MAZI

December 21, 2016 at 8:21 am

my dear, is omu aro now for anambra peope

• ZeeGoes

December 23, 2016 at 2:15 am

lol! someone from omu aro was getting married to a lady from nnewi. I decided to help them tie wrapper

• Chi

December 22, 2016 at 3:40 am

There are certain towns in Anambra where Omu Aro is the native wrapper. My understanding is that some of the natives of these towns moved from Arochukwu many moons ago. In my town, Ajalli, Anambra, Omu Aro is the native wrapper and it is tied by both men and women during events like Igba nkwu nwanyi.

• ZeeGoes

December 23, 2016 at 2:16 am

lmao!!! chai, you should calm down small oh! the groom is from there, while the bride is from Nnewi. My naija people sha

3. Temi

December 21, 2016 at 1:43 am

Dat eguissi soup de make me so hunnnnnnnnnngry!

4. bruno fierce two

December 21, 2016 at 2:12 am

This is awesome! I would love to see you do a trip round Nigeria and show us on your youtube channel. This is what I think of when someone goes om a trip.

5. Chicadimples

December 21, 2016 at 2:31 am

Hi Zainob!
    Are you sure you u didn’t mean to write Abia state? That wrapper in your first pix is the Omu Arochukwu the native wrapper of the Arochukwu people of Abia State. Unless the event took place in Arochukwu .

• Keeks

December 21, 2016 at 5:54 am

I think the groom is from Aro,infact the Omu Aro made me click on this story…

• ZeeGoes

December 23, 2016 at 2:19 am

I was definitely in Anambra. hehe the groom is from Omu Aro and the bride from Nnewi…the comments here are so hilarious!

6. Worst place to be

December 21, 2016 at 3:42 am

Anambra no wayyyy

7. Jennietobbie

December 21, 2016 at 4:20 am

Nne, I need to treat you to another Anambra experience with ofe akwu, ofe onugbu and the masquerade festival. ?

8. Olusegun Odejayi

December 21, 2016 at 5:12 am

Good adventures.
    This could be packaged in an holiday tours for others.

9. Ekene

December 21, 2016 at 5:26 am

Those rice fields. Is that Anam area ? Ayamelum LG,

10. Asake

December 21, 2016 at 5:52 am

She’s adventurous with food

11. Ekene

December 21, 2016 at 5:54 am

Visit the riverine communities of Ogbaru, Ayamelum , Anambra East and West LG, they have interesting cultures. Amazing flat swampy land rice fields with its long streched lush greenery. Their palm wine is one of the best, very sweet fresh water palmwine ( nkwu). Ngwo ( stronger alcoholic content) are found in the dry lands like Nnewi, Idemili ( both ngwo and nkwu) .

You would have visited Nwafor Orizu’s place since you were in Nnewi. He was the first Senate President and all his vintage cars and all paraphernalia of his office then are still intact..

You can visit Ogbunike cave in Oyi LG, close to Onitsha and you could even have a fun day visiting all the markets in Onitsha; though it will be hectic at this Xmas period.

You can visit the Museum at Igboukwu. You will be amazed at the finess of the archeological artifacts there.

You can go to Agulu lake if you want to see crocodiles in huge numbers, but don’t enter the lake. Only natives of that town swims there.

Awka is the town of hotels and clubs with its own unique cuisines and culture. Their masquerades are monsters, just don’t near them if you don’t want to be bruised, just watch from afar.

Night life in Anambra is almost non existent. Onitsha used to have a bubbling night life with clubs, cinema ( the famous Broadway cinema). In a bid to control crime in the 1990s most night outlets were closed down in Onitsha giving way for more “Joints” A typical beer parlour joint in Onitsha will serve some good life band or DJ set.
    Point and kill crocker fish well marinade with local spices, Nkwobi and isiewu, some serve ugba and other local meat chops and unending lists of drinks.

Anambra people are very hospitable and proud people, very welcoming and ever willing to impress and please you if they noticed that you’re a stranger.

• ZeeGoes

December 23, 2016 at 2:26 am

oh wow, many, many thanks for the information!

12. survivor

December 21, 2016 at 6:11 am

don’t bother go to the museum,, cos u might have a nightmare thereafter

• ATL's finest

December 21, 2016 at 2:45 pm

????????lol

• ZeeGoes

December 23, 2016 at 2:35 am

hahaha thank you for the tip!

13. vora

December 21, 2016 at 6:22 am

Is dat wat u wore to a trad marriage??am dissapointes

• ZeeGoes

December 23, 2016 at 2:25 am

lmao! you sound like my mother #dead

14. vora

December 21, 2016 at 6:22 am

*dissapointed*

• Anon

December 21, 2016 at 10:56 am

Disappointed* even!

15. rain

December 21, 2016 at 10:53 am

think you went to Abia state…….not Anambra . The dressing and the food and the locality.

16. Ifeyinwa Atuanya

December 21, 2016 at 10:54 am

@Ekene, are you from Awkuzu in Oyi Local Government Area of Anambra State

17. Tade johnson

December 21, 2016 at 12:30 pm

Ibo pple congratulate the girl for making effort to visit your state and wrote good things about it… She is a yoruba girl that loves to explore and made her holiday to the east not america and you guys r belittling her and asking her baseless questions. Some even ask why she is wearing a common useless wrapper that lookks like what i use to clean my floor. All y’all should shut the fuck up. Enemies of progress. Its these same people that will complain that yorubas donot visit eastern parts too to know they r hospitable. Fuck yall bitter roaches man

• Grace

December 21, 2016 at 5:15 pm

Why should we congratulate her for visiting our state. Guess to you, One Nigeria is just a slogan.

18. chioma

December 21, 2016 at 2:31 pm

@tade johnson chai…so much vile. what’s the difference between you and the people you are castigating? We are meant to be one biko nna/nne! whatever you do, do the best that you can do. Its journalism so you have to put out facts, properly. People are just curious about what has been put out is all. The fact that she has people commenting means she has got people’s interest which is a plus not a minus. Good work Zainob, hear the naysers but let it fuel your intent and better it! Igbo kwenu! lol!!

• ucee

December 21, 2016 at 3:47 pm

chioma, from your comment i can deduce the fact that u r a sound individual. With your mentality, u will surely go far in life.

• Dee

December 21, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Well said, Chioma, i bu ezigbo nmadu.

19. ZeeGoes

December 23, 2016 at 2:25 am

lmao! you sound like my mother #dead

20. Mutiah Kazeem

December 23, 2016 at 9:46 am

Looks like they are eating too much wheat, it’s not healthy at all. They should really go back to eating traditional anambra swallows please.
    Really Nice video zainab. Mwah.