News

Amazing! Nigerian Movies Gross over N1 billion in 2016

BellaNaija.com

The past couple of years has seen Nollywood record massive wins and we’re so excited about it!

From AY Makun‘s “30 Days in Atlanta”, Ebonylife‘s “Fifty”, Omoni Oboli‘s “Wives on Strike” to Kunle Afolayan‘s “The CEO”, and now “A Trip to Jamaica”, “The Wedding Party”, “93 Days”, “76” and many more, it is clear that the Nigerian movie industry has the potential to rake in billions of dollars in revenue.

50-locally produced titles brought in about N1 billion in ticket sales. This figure represents about 30 percent of the total N3.5 billion generated from just 28 cinemas across the country.

Filmmakers are now putting in more money to deliver quality movies, knowing fully well that Return on Investment is guaranteed for quality work.

We cannot exclude the impact of top notch marketing on the results we are seeing today.

The Wedding Party, Nigeria’s latest blockbuster movie, has broken box-office records at every milestone since it was released nationwide on December 16 2016. It took just two weeks to eclipse the record of N178 million, held by ‘A Trip to Jamaica’, emerging with a staggering N200 million before the New Year weekend was over. Both films led a strong lineup of popular Nigerian films in 2016, including ‘Wives on Strike’, ‘The CEO’, ‘93 Days’ and ‘76’.

The Wedding Party debuted with the biggest opening weekend in Nollywood history with N36 million; the best-ever opening week with N66 million; the biggest week ever with N110 million; and a jaw-dropping Christmas box-office total of N146 million.

What followed appears to be unprecedented, with cinemas in many parts of the country reporting sold-out screens throughout the rest of the holiday season, as excited fans who saw earlier screenings returned for a second round, often with friends and family in tow. Much of the appeal of the film is due to a heartwarming storyline, beautiful sets and gorgeous costumes, while most of the audience can identify with the lavish Nigerian wedding, contentious relatives and almost-chaotic proceedings that defy even the most careful planning.

This amazing response to a Nigerian film suggests that the producers, the ELFIKE Film Collective, were right to assemble such a stellar cast and to trust director, Kemi Adetiba, to guide them to superb performances. Relative newcomers like Banky W and Adesua Etomi, look comfortable alongside veteran actors Richard Mofe-Damijo and Ireti Doyle, while the comedy genius of Sola Sobowale, Ali Baba and AY shine through. ELFIKE relied on the collective experience of the partners, EbonyLife Films, Film One, Koga Studios and Inkblot Productions, to ensure high production values throughout.

According to Executive Producer, Mo Abudu, “We really believe that the Nigerian consumer will support ‘made in Nigeria’ products, if the quality is comparable to international standards. We wanted to create a film that would make our people proud and the response of movie-goers suggests  that we have succeeded. Equally important has been the support of so many sponsors, including Dubai Tourism, Airtel, Diageo and Bank of Industry, who were instrumental in getting us off to an amazing start.”

Moses Babatope, COO of FilmOne Distribution, is delighted by the public response.

“This has been an amazing year for Nigerian cinema. With returns of well over N200 million, The Wedding Party is on track to deliver numbers we have never seen before for a Nigerian film. It’s important to note that it is selling more tickets than Rogue One, part of the Star Wars franchise and the biggest film worldwide this season. For the first time, Nollywood is competing with Hollywood at the Nigerian box-office and winning,” he said.

EbonyLife says there are two new films in the works, including a sequel to ‘The Wedding Party’, that will ensure more outstanding commercial success in 2017/18.

Fifty, was the most successful film at the Nigerian box-office in 2015 and has spawned a television series, due to air on EbonyLife TV in 2017. Fifty was the only Nigerian film, and one of only five African films from a global selection of 238 films, to be screened at the 59th BFI London Film Festival.

Here’s how 2016’s Top 10 Chart looks like for Nigeria – Please note that not all the figures are verified rather we have used Filmhouse Cinema’s weighted average market share to come up with box office estimates for films not released by FilmOne.

1. The Wedding Party – FilmOne Nollywood – N203 million
  2. A Trip to Jamaica – FilmOne Nollywood – N178.5 million
  3. Batman Vs Superman – Warner/Crimson – N140 million (Estimated)
  4. Captain America – Marvel/Disney/Crimson – N119 million (Estimated)
  5. Suicide Squad – Warner/Crimson – N116 million (Estimated)
  6. London Has Fallen – Independent/Okhma – N90 million (Estimated)
  7. Doctor Strange – Marvel/Disney/Crimson – N85 million (Estimated)
  8. Gods of Eqypt – Independent/Okhma – N80 million (Estimated)
  9. Mechanic Ressurection – Independent/Okhma – N75 million (Estimated)
  10. 76 – Silverbird Nollywood – N72 million (Estimated)

These movies are currently showing in all cinemas across Nigeria.

1. Tosin

January 4, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Wow

2. Ada

January 4, 2017 at 9:13 pm

I am so happy for Kemi

3. Mannie

January 4, 2017 at 9:30 pm

I’m so glad to see another Nigerian product thriving in Nigeria. The only other Nigerian product I know that thrives so well in Nigeria is Canoe soap. Well done Nollywood!

• Anon

January 4, 2017 at 10:50 pm

Mannie – you need to get out a bit more.

• Mannie

January 5, 2017 at 12:00 am

I’d really like to get out a bit more, but not under the freezing weather outside. For now, it’s BN and hibernate.

4. xplorenollywood.com

January 4, 2017 at 9:34 pm

Great! The industry needs this. Great quality movies, good script will always top charts??? congratulations to everyone

• olorire

January 5, 2017 at 10:35 am

good scripts dont always top charts o! it doesnt work like that

5. isaobi

January 4, 2017 at 10:28 pm

Nice !! Judging from the above figures, it shows that the Nigerian audience are only interested in slapstick comedies and rom- coms. No Nigerian filmmaker should dare serious themes or stories except you are Izu Ojukwu or you have followership like Kunle Afoloyan.

6. nene

January 4, 2017 at 10:52 pm

this is great news

7. yeni

January 4, 2017 at 11:12 pm

So I have seen the wedding party three times already. The first time with the hubby, then with my girlfriends and later with my parents and siblings…I’m not surprised at the numbers at all. Really good movie. It’s not rib cracking funny (except for sola sobowale’s part, that woman deserves a best actress nomination for her part!) but it would make you grin and it’s totally relatable. The story was really well told. If you haven’t seen it yet please do before it leaves the cinema..totally worth the hype.

• bitumen

January 5, 2017 at 9:09 am

I have seen the wedding party twice and i agree with your points. Personally, it is the best nigerian movie i have ever seen in the cinema and i have seen a whole lot. Kemi Adetiba and Tosin Otudeko who wrote the script both did an excellent job. if you have ever attended a wedding in Lagos albeit a yoruba wedding, you can mostly relate with the wedding party. Sola Sobowale literally killed the movie; her acting and comedy was over excellent.you can substitute other characters but i dont know anyone in the whole of nollywood that could have killed and burried that character like sola sobowale. i am also happy for ebony life. After the debacle called fifty, i vowed never to watch any of ther movie productions again. I am happy the bounced back with this. As for Kemi Adetiba, i will watch any movie she directs henceforth . She nows has my cult following similar to me watching any movie that is produced or has been produced by Tunde Kelani, Tade Ogidan and Kunle Afolayon. Abeg go and watch wedding party o. Its very good.

• bitumen

January 5, 2017 at 9:13 am

Please note i said best Nigerian movie i have ever seen in the cinema not best nigerian movie ever o Best Nigerian movie ever for me will have to be between Diamond Ring by Tade Ogidan and Ti Oluwa Nile part 1-3 by Tunde Kelani.

• Marian

January 5, 2017 at 11:32 am

Oleku needs to be on your list too 🙂

8. Ekene

January 5, 2017 at 3:45 am

The success of The Wedding Party lies with its marketing team. Artistically that movies is very average. I went to see it with high expectations because many where talking about it. Mehn, I was a bit disappointed. It doesn’t live up to the hype.

Some of the acting where over the top; From Alibaba to the woman that acted event planner and some other actors who where trying so hard to act funny. Sobowale is a natural born actress, even her over dramatisation is over funny. Ireti Doyle deserves kudos for her role too.

The highest cinema selling movie and not the best Nollywood movie.

• Latifa

January 5, 2017 at 6:55 am

I love the movie and I’m so proud because Nollywood has really stepped up their game. However I didn’t like the way event planner’s character was portrayed, it was more annoying than hilarious. Kudos to the actors good job.

• olorire

January 5, 2017 at 10:30 am

I AGREE! it is not the best of movies…it was hyped so much i was expectant but i gave it a 5. but i would def see the movie again because its a movie you can relate to. SHOLA SHOBOWALE was awesome. i am just so HAPPY that the movie was loved by many and i loved how Nigerians supported by going to watch it so many times. as i earlier commented…its just a comedy about a Nigerian wedding most people can relate to.

• olorire

January 5, 2017 at 10:35 am

yes the planner and alibaba were average….but who can blame them they are not real actors.

my best where the grooms brother – though a supporting role but i really felt his character (the hardworking serious son who was over looked), the grooms mom, of course SHOLA SHOBOWALE she played the yoruba-mother-with-just-one-kid-overprotective-ah!-i-will-do-anything-for-my-child role WELL!

9. capt j

January 5, 2017 at 4:06 am

The worst film in 2016 to me remains 76…from bad sound to bad lighting and terrible cinematography despite the great picture quality, I mourned my money every minute of the film, not to talk of the soundless nature of the shirts film

• Tosin

January 7, 2017 at 4:43 am

I enjoyed 76. Nollywood is getting better?

10. capt j

January 5, 2017 at 4:06 am

*shitty film

11. BijouxthisBijouxthat

January 5, 2017 at 6:35 am

I finally watched the movie and this is the first time I would pay money to watch any African directed movie..
    Verdict : I LOVED IT! No regrets at all.. Worth the hype! I was even teary eyed in some scenes..
    As for the Sola woman, she’s the Star! U just have to love her!..
    I don’t have any complaints whatsoever.. The iya Michael scenes, dope..
    Well done to them

12. Billionaire in grace

January 5, 2017 at 7:31 am

i hope once i will get to watch the wedding party i would really enjoy it…cos some of this Nollywood movies BN will do an aggresive marketing type but after watching you are so disappointed.

13. Scorpiogirl

January 5, 2017 at 8:20 am

sola Sobowale is the reason for wedding party Sucess! Take her out of the movie and it falls flat!…. That woman deserves multiple awards!!!!

• Cookie

January 5, 2017 at 6:38 pm

I agree!!!

14. Mo'Diva

January 5, 2017 at 9:09 am

Go Shola Go Shola Go. I love that woman

15. Puzzles

January 5, 2017 at 9:10 am

The dance in by Ali Baba and Sola shows why yorubas are the ultimate party people!!!
    The back hand slap Somkele gave Beverly Naya was awesome!!!!!
    The scene with the thief was hilarious!!!!!
    The wedding planner shocked all when she spoke Yoruba! Chai!!!
    And the best of the best, the prayer at the reception!!!!! (All those daughters of Jezebel, we know they are here).
    Had to watch it twice!!!! Didn’t regret it.
    Kemi, I want to be your BFF. Move power to your hands, girl!!!

16. o

January 5, 2017 at 9:44 am

I will give the wedding party 7/10 only because Sola Sobowale single-handedly held that movie. The woman deserves an award. Her acting was ???Take her out and the movie gets 3/10. Ali Baba over acted for most of his part. Adesua was ok. Banky could have been better. AY blehh. Ireti was very good as usual. Zainab was surprisingly good too tho her character was too fake but she executed it well. Iya Michael the caterer was very good. Maybe Beverly Naya should have played the bride probably she would have put in more life but as the temptress she was ?

For once I didn’t regret falling for the hype and going to see a Nigerian movie (unlike Fifty & 30 days in Atlanta). If you haven’t seen it pls do.

Silverbird (ICM) you stopped free popcorn and drink giving only free drink selling popcorn for #800. Well-done. You now oversold tickets knowing fully well the capacity of your halls. Made so many ppl stand throughout the movie. You guys should be flogged.

• olorire

January 5, 2017 at 10:37 am

yes i agree adesua was just ok. rmd was ok, alibaba tried too hard!

• Aisha

January 5, 2017 at 7:53 pm

Lol @ you implying Beverly is better actress than Adesua. Joke of the century

17. olorire

January 5, 2017 at 10:26 am

wooooow!!!! just wow!!!!!! OMG OMG this is just too amazing!!!! this is just to show you that if we Nigerians love something we support it to the fullest!!!!
    there is great hope for the Nigerian Movie Industry!!!!
    many Nigerians including me 10 – 15 years ago would never listen to anything Nigerian but now thanks to 2face, psquare, style plus and the emergence of new artists (WE CREATED OUR STYLE OF MUSIC) the music industry was revolutionized!

THIS IS TO SHOW YOU THAT IF YOU ARE ABLE TO GIVE NIGERIANS WHAT WE CAN RELATE AND SOMETHING ORIGINAL…YOU GO BLOW!!!!!

watch out for the new crop of Movie directors and writers in Nigeria

#SOINSPIRING

18. GY Online NG

January 5, 2017 at 10:33 am

Nollywood is a bea, hope music industry could reach that pick that Nigerians will start buying songs online down our from downloads for artists free PR.

19. Deb

January 5, 2017 at 12:20 pm

OK, I just watched 50 and I’m like why did people abuse this movie so much. 50 the movie is a DRAMA, which highlights our reality in the society especially amongst women, no suspense, climax, just drama which is relatable. The movie is so good, I loved it. I’m yet to see the wedding party

• tunmi

January 5, 2017 at 11:19 pm

I don’t understand why 50 gets so much hate. Technical wise, it was well done. Story wise, it was well done. Clearly it was written by someone who was tired of female characters being punished and one-sided

20. She

January 5, 2017 at 3:23 pm

For me wedding party was an okay movie … If not for Shola, definitely It would have fallen flat. I agree alibaba and Zainab over acted as well, but I guess it’s what they were told.

And please everyone should go and see ’76, if that movie had gotten half the publicity that wedding party got, I bet it would have grossed more. That was a classic movie with star performance from Ramsey and Rita. Unfortunately, wedding party stole their show.

21. Pamela

January 5, 2017 at 7:52 pm

I absolutely loved LOVED this movie from the beginning to the end. I disagree with those saying Sola was the only one that held the movie up. Sola was exceptional no doubt, but the others did very very well. I had no complaints. From the driver to the best man, wedding planner, thief lol…I loved them all. The first nigerian movie I watched in the cinema was stalker and I regretted it to the last. This one just proved there is hope for Nigerian movies. I can watch it 10 times sef without getting bored. Nigerian weddings are the best, especially when Yorubas are involved (I’m ibo btw). Amazing script, amazing directing, amazing acting!

22. Tash

January 5, 2017 at 8:09 pm

This is huge wow ?. I personally thought the movie was amazing. It was a simple comedy movie. People saying zainab over acted uhm I’m pretty sure her character was suppose to be funny and dramatic. I loved the chemistry between Adesua (Dunni) and Banky (Dozie). Ireti Doyle, RMD, Ali Baba, Somkele, Ikechukwu and all the other characters delivered. And Sola Sobowale killed it. The top Nollywood movies of 2016 for me were 1. The Arbitration (still pissed it didn’t get nominated for an AMVCA smh) 2. 93 days 3. The Wedding Party. Nollywood is def stepping up ?