News

Read this Twitter User’s Planned Response if his Daughter is a Victim of Domestic Violence

Twitter user Gimba Kakanda (@gimbakakanda) has written an interesting article, detailing how he will respond if his daughter is a victim of domestic violence.

“What to do if my daughter’s marriage gets to the point of domestic violence, following Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II‘s instruction to his daughters,” Gimba wrote as he shared a screenshot of the post originally published on his Facebook page.

Dear unborn daughter,

We are divided in what to do if, but may Allah intervene, you end up with a hare-brained husband. This debate was instigated by Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II’s public instruction to his daughters, asking them to return any slap from their husbands.

Note that I do not subscribe to his style. And I don’t need anyone’s example to tell my beloved daughter what to do if slapped by her husband.

So, dear Zainab, if your marriage ever gets to that shame, your own lover turning into an unfamiliar animal, get your things and come back home. Do not return the slap. Immediately. You are not a thug.

When you’re safely home, I’ll send for the godforsaken monster, and while he’s under my roof, I’ll be able to determine the next action from his words and remorse – or lack of it. If I wink to you, get up and deliver a well-aimed slap, in front of me and your mother and your siblings. Because, at that point, I would’ve already established the fact of what transpired and concluded that a life of safety in your father’s house is millionfold more valuable than an unhappy marriage.

Asking my daughter to return the slap of someone biologically more advantaged is a dangerous wisdom. In fact, it’s suicidal. You will not only be turned into a punching bag, but, knowing the ego of a man humiliated this way, a mere retaliation of one slap may turn into uncontrolled fisticuff, two beasts competing to hurt each other, with whatever comes to hand. I can’t even imagine the possible outcomes!

I can’t put your life at risk this way.

And if your husband refuses to honour my invitation, we will visit together, to get your things. And there is also an opportunity to have a talk, and for you to return the slap, in front of your Dada who loves you more than everything and your family ever ready to shield you from attacks.

With love,

GK

1. Babym

February 28, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Lol this made me chuckle ? Nice strategy

2. Freemind

February 28, 2017 at 8:58 pm

Lol…hahaha….the slap just has to be returned . This sank real well. I dont think I will be able to forget this.

3. Dee

February 28, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Amazing father!lol

4. Iify

February 28, 2017 at 9:38 pm

I wished my mummy was given this type advice when she was alive and married to my daddy or was told to come back to her father’s house if she faced any domestic violence. It is good that women are told that their life is more precious than any marriage. It is good to have options and not make women think that marriage is a do or die affair.

5. Exceptionalstar

February 28, 2017 at 9:39 pm

A wise father.
    exceptionalstar.wordpress.com

6. Californiabawlar

February 28, 2017 at 10:05 pm

Lmao! I didn’t know where this was going at first! I loled at the wink and slap part! ???

7. FasholasLover

February 28, 2017 at 10:57 pm

Now, this is the real Dada. No, l will not retaliate immediately. You cannot trust the man not to kill you there and then in a moment of rage. Na devil dem go blame later. Mba. You will surely get your slap and a broken ankle to boot in the presence of my brothers and cousins. But then, how do things degenerate to slaps and fist cuffs? If there is a single incident of verbal abuse during courtship, darling keep it moving. Whatever bad habits you see/get in courtship, be ready for double in marriage becos, at that time, campaigns are over. May God help us.

8. Dr. N

February 28, 2017 at 10:58 pm

So said my dad to his 4 daughters
    Whoever marries into our family knows his fate if he lifts a hand
    Violence is not an option pls

9. Mz smiles

February 28, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Very funny dude. I love it when men condemn DV

10. Dee

March 1, 2017 at 8:39 am

Lmao… correct dada
    But emmmm
    Spousal domestic violence will not be me or my children’s portion.

• Bimbo

March 2, 2017 at 8:39 am

The people who are unfortunately affected by it are not God’s children ? They have half a head while you have one ? They pray less than you ? God doesn’t answer their prayers but answers yours ? It’s sad when religion makes people not think.

11. Lee

March 1, 2017 at 9:11 am

What do you do when your wife slaps you first?

12. Rugged Obi

March 1, 2017 at 11:21 am

Nice piece.
    Spotting a hare-brained husband is as uneasy as finding a pin in a hay stack.

In as much as I am tempted to subscribe to the slapping epistles of Saints Gimba and Sanusi I believe the gospel according to Apostle Obi will do the magic.
    And it goes thus:
    If the smart and cunning fish-brain husband of my daughter (I wish not to have any daughters) gives her a black eye or a blue nose or red lips, it wouldn’t matter who was at fault. I simply affix a full magazine to my AK-49 and pay the learner a visit.
    Thereafter I leave the bloody trash for Lawma or Rawmarsh depending on which state I would be resident in.
    A man shouldn’t strike a woman. There are several ways to make women feel remorse for their actions.

13. Fabulous

March 1, 2017 at 12:26 pm

Correct Dad. I like you jor.

14. AsobyEbi