Features

Aunty Bella: Miss. Lonely in Canada

BellaNaija.com

Aunty Bella is our  agony aunt column on BellaNaija. We launched this column in the early days of BN and periodically feature issues sent in by BN readers.
We hope the BN family can offer insightful advice.

***
Dear Aunty Bella,

Please I would love for you to help me post this as it might help my situation. I am a young girl currently working in Canada, I am always so depressed and down because I’m all alone no friends, no family.

All I do is go to work and go back home, sometimes I feel like I’m cursed. I sometimes think about going back home to Nigeria, but I have a very good job I wouldn’t want to lose especially when I’m not guaranteed a job in Nigeria. It’s very hard to just go out by myself, go watch movies alone? Have dinners alone? It’s really really hard. The highest I do is go to malls and just look around.

I feel so isolated and emotionally abandoned ?

Please who is or has been in my situation and how do I deal with loneliness living in a foreign land.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

1. Uche

March 30, 2017 at 11:22 am

I feel you my dear. I experienced the same thing living abroad. the loneliness is frustrating at times. but going back home has it’s own set of problems. That being said i would advice you try and make the best out of it. Join clubs, groups, meetups , bookclubs etc. Join a nigerian church if you have to. Find and invent activities to help you fill that emotional void.

2. Blessing

March 30, 2017 at 11:35 am

What are you passionate about? What do you love doing apart from work? Have you tried volunteering? Like with the Canadian Red Cross or engage in interesting online forums? From these,, you get to meet people with like minds and you take it from there, but I’ll recommend you renew your Netflix subscription, get some pizza and youghurt on your way back from work lounge and watch something interesting,like Aziz Ansari Master of None, please don’t go on getting depressed O! I beg thee

3. www.thelmathinks.com

March 30, 2017 at 11:43 am

I wish some of you guys in the diaspora who feel this way can form an (online) support group, barely 2 days ago a blog reader of mine who’s schooling and working in Ukraine said these exact words to me. Just like you, the loneliness is driving her to depression and she’s at the brink of abandoning it all and coming back home. I have to beg her every other week to stay strong and follow through. I spent one month outside the country last year and I was soooo lonely that sometimes I’d cry myself to sleep ?. I even started having conversations with myself just to stay sane. After my classes I’d dread going back home because the loneliness that was waiting for me there felt like wet blanket trying to suffocate me, so I can’t imagine how y’all who spend years cope.

Well, my BV said she just started dance classes and yoga too, to stave off the boredom and inertia. Maybe you also can try doing fun things outside work too. And if you don’t make friends in the process, it would at least make the days go faster. Hugssssssss hun ???

4. Ebere

March 30, 2017 at 11:52 am

Find a religious group and attend before long you’ll start making friends.

5. Nicolette

March 30, 2017 at 11:56 am

Where in Canada are you and how old are you ?

6. Patrick

March 30, 2017 at 11:57 am

Move to Vancouver, its more fun !!!

• Ifeyinwa

March 30, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Vancouver is not more fun! I had my grade 10 to 12 education in North Vancouver(private boarding school). While I was never lonely most likely because I was young and really had no established social circle back in Nigeria, my older sister became clinically depressed as a result of loneliness.Keep in mind that she was a sophomore at UBC when the both of us moved without our parents. UBC is a university and as fun filled as fun can be even with the student workload. Besides loneliness is not about how much fun things are there to do. It is more about lacking a companion or friend that you connect with and that understands you. When I lived in Quebec city, I used to be crazy lonely even with the sick night life and crazy daily hustle. Everybody talked but nobody really talked. The conversations lacked depth and no real connections were made. Nobody really cared either! So sometimes loneliness is barely about the location and more about the person and their thought processes and emotional needs. Listen poster, there is always that strong Nigerian or African Niche where ever I go. While some can be over the top and loud, some are quite and comforting. Besides you decide where and when you go for these gatherings. They quite stress relieving. My sister found them and became better. I personally have found them somewhat useful. Start a conversation with the next person you sit next to that looks friendly. Tell them you are new and don’t really have a circle. I know I always took time off and showed new immigrants around and introduced them to Nigerians or those from the same Africa countries. I am sure there are people like me out there who enjoy stuff like that. My sis suffered quite a bit so I know. Weird thing though, all the people I have kinda brought in ended up pregnant for or married to somebody I introduced them to on the first day. I don’t know how to feel about that part of my social resume though ?Good luck! I hope it all works out for you in the end. Forgive any typos and parse, I am quite in a bit of a hurry.

• Manny

March 31, 2017 at 4:41 am

Ifeyinwa is quite right. It’s not so much about the activities. Loneliness is more about a lack of emotional satisfaction. I’ve been there where even with a packed day & interactions with people, I would still go home and feel bereft and lonely. However, whenever I had someone staying over, it would go away. A friend would come to stay over and while we might not even talk much that night, the presence of another person was comforting. This is why lots of single people sometimes get cats and dogs.
      There are people who do the work-home-work thing but are not lonely because they have a strong emotional support system that is reachable by phone. There are married people who are very lonely. There are celebrities with many “friends” who are lonely.

7. Ghostmode

March 30, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Hugs dear i completely know how you feel., my life used to be work, Netflix and Iroko TV, i just had to break that chain!!! what worked for me was to identify things i will love to do outside work. I joined a gym, when i’m there i make small talks with other people, I started a language class which i really enjoy. I tried sewing workshops, cooking workshops, wine tasting classes , volunteering… now i actually have a full agenda. I advise you to google for events around you and try them out! Break that chain dear! Live life and make memories.

8. purplieciousbabe

March 30, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Please join a club or something.. I like tap dance, I plan to join one etc.
    Find a local church that is one way to make friends etc.

9. beevee

March 30, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Have you tried going to Church? Join a service unit or youth group, you’ll meet a lot of nice people there. How about other interests apart from work, i.e. book-clubs, volunteer organizations, etc.

Explore some of those and you’ll be fine. It is well with you

10. James Clinton

March 30, 2017 at 12:43 pm

What happened with you. Could i know your real problem. So that you are feeling lonely in canada.

11. Cartoon HD

March 30, 2017 at 12:43 pm

12. Marian

March 30, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Don’t wait for people to make the first move. Leave your desk/cubicle/office and go say hi to your coworkers. Ask a few of them what they will be doing this weekend.

Bring enough (store bought) donuts/desserts for your coworkers to work.

Wear Ankara to work, someone is bound to compliment and ask questions. Use that in your favor and find out more about the person.

Smile and say hi to people first. You have been gifted with a wonderful icebreaker. Tell people you are from Nigeria and most people will have follow-up questions and wanna know more.

I love ballroom dance classes for beginners because you don’t need a partner. You rotate ever 2 mins during the session and you get to meet a lot of people.

Look for things to do in your area on Groupon.

My hubby’s friend dey canada too and he’s single and ready to mingle in case you are ready to date 🙂

This is the best time for you to travel and experience the world.

• Uzo

April 7, 2017 at 11:25 pm

Marian, I’m ready to date o. Hook a sister up but I live in Saskatchewan…i hope he is a stand up guy. Reach out to a sistur!!

13. dshine

March 30, 2017 at 1:14 pm

We have all been there, if youre in Toronto, holla. I have a couple of friends, we create activities games night, sight seeing and encourage one another in academics and job searches.

• bim

April 1, 2017 at 3:54 pm

I’m in toronto!

14. Ladybird

March 30, 2017 at 1:28 pm

I definitely understand you!. It’s especially worse during the holiday seasons, Canada day, thanksgiving, Christmas and new years. those days are made for friends to hang out and stuff.It’s not easy to make friends because some friendships don’t even grow especially if you are in university…you meet someone once in class… you seem to get along, the next you don’t meet them again after the class ends ..because you don’t keep in touch. another thing too it can be a culture shock when you meet certain kinds of people, you can’t really relate with them because they talk about completely different things and at different places altogether so you feel like you cant be friends with them.

15. mori

March 30, 2017 at 1:45 pm

where in canada are you? i stay there too. you just have to meet the right people

16. slice

March 30, 2017 at 2:06 pm

If you’re a Christian or even not sef, find the nearest redeemed church. They’ll take care of the rest

• Bleed Blue

March 30, 2017 at 2:52 pm

@slice hahahahaha!!!

Girl, you don’t tell a lie.

• larz

March 31, 2017 at 3:55 pm

As in. Redeem churches are everywhere.

• ranti

April 4, 2017 at 6:02 pm

lol!

17. Oloye

March 30, 2017 at 2:07 pm

This is why I love drinking (socially) and the pubs… 🙂 Never a dull moment .

#No YABmE

18. Deleke

March 30, 2017 at 2:19 pm

What part of Canada do you live o? Even at your place of work, don’t u guys go for happy hour, etc? Do u drive? Drive across the border to Albany and I will take u out. If u serious, send me your email

• KD

April 1, 2017 at 5:54 am

lol… Forget the writer… Whats your IG handle biko? I need friends too

19. Anon

March 30, 2017 at 2:36 pm

Hi there, I’m sorry that you feel lonely and emotionally abandoned. Hugs

I understand living in a foreign country or should I say countries. Due to work, I have moved around a lot – to even non speaking English countries which makes finding friends or joining an activity pretty darn hard.

However, you can really make the most out of every situation. First thing, learn to enjoy your company, so go to that restaurant and eat there. Dress up and enjoy a nice meal or go to the theatre or movies. Learn to have fun and enjoy the pleasures of life on your own.
    Even, do a weekend trip to a new city.

The upsides to this is that you learn to engage with people on the go, waiters, guests at the restaurants or hotels etc.

Second, perhaps joining a group like Meetup or Internations. Check them out. They usually organize events and you can sign up and meet new people. I met my bestie in one of those events.

Lastly, I know this is not for everyone but joining a gym, can really help you integrate into the fitness community and that way you can also make friends. You can join pump up – it’s a app for those interested in fitness.

I really hope you can find some joy in doing some of the things I listed above. It’s great to have a decent job and an income to afford to do decent things. Because you might just never have the time to do things later in life so enjoy the now ?. Good luck

20. Jen

March 30, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Hi,

I’m a 32 yr old bini female in Ottawa, and I know how you feel. As a matter of fact, I’m off on stress leave as a result of this issue. I’ve tried going to Nigerian churches, but I really don’t identify as a Christian anymore. Meditation has greatly helped with my outlook on life (I practice Vipassana), and I’m very into Taoism.

I feel like the Nigerians in Canada are very different from the ones in England and Nigeria, in the sense that I’ve met so many Nigerians that lack values here (419ers, and all kinds of fraudsters during my stay in Montreal; which was why I moved to Ottawa). Now, I’m meeting the good ol’ kind of Nigerians I grew up with in Nigeria, and England; but, they are now too young for me to be friends with.

I’ve seen and experienced so much, I’ve decided to be child-free. It would just be too selfish to bring a child into this world knowing what I now know. I just want friends in my age group I can talk business with, forex trading, and other things like that.

• Elizabeth

March 30, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Hi Jen,

I’m a 30 year old female that lives in Ottawa. And i would love to meet you if you are up for making new friends. You can drop a contact email or something.

E

• Jennifer

March 30, 2017 at 9:01 pm

Hi Elizabeth, you can email me at [email protected]

• Ottawa Queen

April 1, 2017 at 4:22 am

I stay in Ottawa too…I’m happy to make new friends.

• Elizabeth

April 4, 2017 at 5:58 pm

Hi Ottawa Queen,

Please drop a contact email address and would love to connect with you also.

E

• Uzo

April 7, 2017 at 11:27 pm

We should be friends.

21. Omoge

March 30, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Hi dear, try joining meetup.com, they have loads of groups, only women or co-ed that focus on so many things that may peek your interest, e.g. yoga, tea tasting, travelling, club hopping, sewing, fashion, business startups/entrepreneurship, movie watching, etc… list is endless, just put your city in Canada and voila!
    Good luck

22. NaijaBluey

March 30, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Story of my life. I stay in Canada too.

23. Abi

March 30, 2017 at 5:07 pm

this is just exactly like my story but mine is worse cos i quit my job on tues so that means it can only get better or worse send me a mail if anyone is in toronto and wants go hang [email protected]

• Jen

March 30, 2017 at 11:51 pm

Hi Abi. I sent you an email. My email addy is: [email protected]

• Daisy

March 31, 2017 at 11:59 pm

hey dear! I can totally understand how you feel. I’ll suggest you create more time to socialise with like-minded individuals like joining a youth group or something. Try not to isolate yourself. I know of a youth group called The Empowerment Centre (TEC) in toronto. I’m a part of it and I can honestly tell you its an amazing place to be. Very fun and empowering. You meet and connect with different people. You can learn more about TEC on our website mpowerme.ca. We hangout every thursday evenings at 25 Claireport Crescent, Etobicoke ON M9W 6P7 and its soooooo much fun 🙂

24. Sugamama

March 30, 2017 at 6:17 pm

So, I want to be nice and understanding, but you’re not going to make friends if you are not approachable and you don’t make an effort.
    Go to the movies alone if you want to watch a movie, to the beach, to have dinner, to get a drink. Don’t be afraid to do stuff on your own.

Having said that, you work with people don’t you? You should be able to hang out with at least one person. Volunteer, do stuff. Did you not go to school there? How can you not have ONE person to hang out with?

I’m not in Nigeria and I move around a lot, so I know how it can be. I’m also not the friendliest person, so I’ve learned to make an effort too. However, if I want to go to a concert, I’m going, I won’t stay home because there is no one to go with me.

Might be a time for you to self examine. Do you need to work on your self confidence? Do you make it difficult for people to approach you? Maybe you do need to find some interests outside of work as people have suggested.

Don’t wallow in your misery girl. Take action. You’re in Canada and not Trumpmerica, that’s already a good thing. Lol. Summer will soon be here and you can actually be outside soon. Be ready to make the best of it then.

25. Bee

March 30, 2017 at 7:11 pm

Okay so we all should form a group or something. I live in Canada too and it really can be very boring. Is this the same for folks in the uk and usa? I live in Calgary by the way. Let me know if you would love to connect.

• Jay

March 31, 2017 at 7:51 pm

I live in Calgary too! I’d like to connect with you! my email is: [email protected]

• ranti

April 4, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Yes it can be like that in the US too depending on which area you live. If you live in heavily populated areas – the coastal areas with a lot of foreign nationals might be a little easier but once you start going inwards you pretty much get the same vibe, In my single days, just like the others said I watched movies and was involved in my church,it can be either African or non African, I was always available for after work hangouts, All the best!

26. jhsc

March 30, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Bee, are you on any social media platform?

27. Hawt Talk With Tosan

March 30, 2017 at 8:37 pm

Hey boo. I know how you feel. I live in Calgary; married with kids and even I feel the loneliness sometimes. I think the biggest thing is the mundane life we live here in Canada. While structure and routine is good it can also be very monotonous. That’s one of the reasons I decided to start my YouTube Channel. I enjoy making the videos and spend quite sometime editing my videos which is a break from my routine. I suggest you join a social club or find a hubby you are passionate about. Good friends are hard to find in the abroad but you will find one and when you do hold on to them and talk as regularly as you can. Cheers and good luck.

28. Itha

March 30, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Hi poster and you all,
    I am a little surprised at all the commenters feeling lonely in Canada. I guess i really have to appreciate my circle, and realized how much I take the sense of community around me for granted.
    I live in Canada too, Ontario to be precise. and I am always up for making new friends and adventures. I am a christian too (for those that feel strongly about this) and even if you aren’t one, that doesn’t deter me from being friendly and wanting to go out with you. We all face same challenges in this world only difference is i feel Gods presence strengthening me through it ( I will def attempt to share that with you out of love and care but trust me no pressure! )
    I think maybe people should comment with their location and what they enjoy doing….and maybe we can start a facebook group based on locations if enough people are up for that.

• NaijaBluey

March 31, 2017 at 5:28 pm

I’m up for it.
      I stay in Brampton,

• Daisy

April 1, 2017 at 3:21 am

Hello Itha! From your comment, I can tell you will love TEC. I commented above about it. You may want to join us too in toronto 🙂 see u there…

• Lovely

April 1, 2017 at 6:12 pm

Up for it too…My email is [email protected]

29. Ama

March 31, 2017 at 12:39 am

same thing with me. I just relocated to Ghana due to work and in my late twenties. Pls I need new friends who i can visit or visit me and we hang out together. Pls drop your mail address if You live in Ghana and would like to be friends. Thanks

• Rere

April 3, 2017 at 12:48 pm

Hi Ama,
      I work and live in Accra and after reading all the comments I would very much like to reach out to people. Kindly send me an email on [email protected]. Hope to hear from you.
      PS. I’m a very friendly and bubbly person o

• Liz

April 3, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Hi Ama. I am in Accra too. I am far from lonely though. You can call me on 0302740390, so I can share my WhatsApp number & email with you. I don’t feel comfortable sharing those publicly here.

30. Esther

March 31, 2017 at 2:56 am

I truly understand this – yesterday was my birthday and after work I took myself out to a buffet dinner at a restaurant; alone while my family in Nigeria had a blast on my behalf – never have I been that homesick! But, I enjoyed the food and the ambiance. Loneliness is especially real when you move out of Nigeria. Its also hard to complain about it to your friends and family back at home cause they are thinking -“at least you are not in Nigeria”.
    It’s tough to have real friends from Nigeria here when everyone is wary of trusting the next person.
    If any young Nigerian professional in Ottawa is interested, we can organize a meetup really – will like to meet young professionals or graduate students. My twitter handle works fine – @esthizzle_

Cheers

• slice

March 31, 2017 at 12:23 pm

Email Jen above. She left her email.
      Where are the guys?

31. Joy

March 31, 2017 at 3:05 am

Same story as me. I’m in my late thirties and looking to make new friends in houston, Texas.

• slice

March 31, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Haba Houston is not hard now. Do you need new friends or a man. Try match.com naija guys in Houston are plenty there. For friends, I still say try redeemed, but maybe pick a smaller one so you can get more attention. Of course join a group in the church too

• princess

April 10, 2017 at 9:09 pm

Email me [email protected] am in Houston!!

32. Pretty

March 31, 2017 at 8:50 am

Wow! Good to see pple reach out. I am new to ajah (victory estate). Moved here after marriage but haven’t been able to meet new pple. Everybody seems to mind their business. How do I break that ice?

• person

March 31, 2017 at 12:43 pm

Ajah in canada abi ajah in Nigeria? #honestquestion o…

• Sugar

April 6, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Ajah in Northampton!

33. Its a personal thing

March 31, 2017 at 9:47 am

It is more of a personal thing than your environment.

You can be in a city with a whole lot happening and still be lonely. If you are not an outgoing person, fun loving person, friendly person or even go out of your way to do things, you will be lonely.

Yes, outside looks like that initially but when you join the right groups, you will even forget that you were ever lonely. See where you are, there are a 1001 things to do, people to meet, places to go…..Some people dont know more than their office, house and church. No one will kidnap or steal you na, go out there and make things work.

If you dont approach people or look approachable, no one will approach you. Many want one friend, bf, gf, husband, wife to come and deliver them from their boredom and loneliness…..na lie..If you dont deal with it yourself, you will still be lonely with them.

Instagram alone is enough to keep you going…Joro, Krakstv, Bom, BBnaija…melanin.defined….those ones alone sef, you cant catch up cos there is a whole lot. Which groups are you into where you at? Any church group, social circle? and if you love night life….ahhhh that one na smth else…..babe free yourself

34. alex

March 31, 2017 at 9:45 pm

I am in Toronto! Can you leave your email address so I contact you?

35. James

March 31, 2017 at 9:59 pm

You need a companion, possibly a husband and you’re not going to find it in Canada. Quit your high paying Canadian job and move back to Nigeria. Your social life isn’t going to get better in Canada. Try to find another job in Nigeria before moving back so at least you won’t get frustrated with that when you move back. Then focus on using all available network and resources you have to find a partner/husband.

Anytime I hear a young person who is of marriage age talking seriously about relocating overseas for work, I always advice them to get married first and move as a family. It is a lot easier when you have a husband, wife and children with you than as a single person.

36. KD

April 1, 2017 at 6:03 am

Canada is a lonely ass country… Jesus.. I didnt hesitate to move back to naija after undergrad to work, but life has brought me back here again after two and a half years for further studies and work. Its not fun at all. Its just so different. Even the men here are just soo silent. Wont talk, wont approach. Sigh. Let me do what i came here for and move back to my motherland before I die of loneliness. The only thing that keeps me going is the end goal of what brought me here in the first place. I really dont know how Nigerians live the rest of their lives in these western countries. Toronto is a lively place to be in, but with no friends, its just dead.

• bim

April 1, 2017 at 3:54 pm

I though it was just me

37. Eniitan

April 2, 2017 at 10:39 pm

I totally understand how you feel. I’ve had to relocate three times in the last six years (that thing called life happened) and i went through what I like to call “the yanking” each time. I think everyone who goes through a big move experiences it but I guess some of us have it harder than others. And sometimes, it’s not just about leaving Nigeria, (one of my moves was back to Nigeria and the yanking was just as emotionally traumatic) and like lots of people have said on here, it’s also not about being ‘alone’ but being lonely even when you’re in a crowd.
    Having said that, you need to put yourself out there, meet new people, try out new things, do the things you’re passionate about, find new passions. Also, try to keep in touch with your family and people back home that you had strong bonds with (I know it’s hard, what with the 8 hour time difference in my case) but make the effort. I know with time, you’ll probably have to move on to new friendships and form new bonds but pace yourself, you need to take the time to go through this transition process properly and you need a support system going during that time, so keep in touch with friends and family and try to build new connections. Don’t despair, this will pass, it always does, and you’ll be fine. And don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it, there’s absolutely no shame in feeling like you do, we will all have our low moments.
    If you’re in Calgary, holler and we’ll swap blush stories over ice cream!! ??

38. Zee

April 4, 2017 at 5:15 am

Hi. I’m in Edmonton Alberta, you can reach out. Would be glad to spread some cheer your way. Loads of advice already given. You really can’t lock yourself indoors and expect not to feel alone. Please try to go the extra mile to make friends, not every friendship will click with your heart, but at least you’ll build a network of acquaintances and decide who to keep as close friends or otherwise.

Please people can we also acknowledge that there are lonely people in Nigeria surrounded by family? It’s not just an ‘abroad’ thing. The principles of making friends acquare somewhat universal.

39. Joy

April 5, 2017 at 8:08 pm

Just locate any Jehovah’s witnesses around you and trust me your loneliness will be a thing of the past. Don’t forget to thank me later

40. Ewa Ali

April 7, 2017 at 11:55 pm

I live in Calgary too,because of its location, there are tons of things you can do and places to visit, I am travelling to Canmore the week after Easter, if it sounds like fun,you are an interesting person and would love to me,……..AND YOU ARE NOT A SERIAL KILLER OR KIDNAPPER………………………………………………….. pls leave your email, I will buzz you.

41. Dodo

April 10, 2017 at 8:45 am

Would love to connect with Nigerian girls or black girls from any country in Calgary AB. Email me to connec who knows we might Become best fiends [email protected] in gonna be 24 soon.

42. Addy

April 20, 2017 at 5:50 pm

I can totally relate with the writer. I moved to Canada in 2012 for my LLM. Loneliness almost finished me the first few months after I moved here. Despite the fact that I attend Redeemed Church, i still feel lost in the midst of everything. Now a lot has changed. Funny as it may sound, i have learn to enjoy my own company. I hardly get bored. I watch movies, korean movies especially and when i feel like connecting with the Nigeria thingy, I listen to Nigerian songs and watch some yoruba movies.

So my dear, think of things that makes you happy. It could be working out, doing yoga or even cooking and baking. I have since started a small business of cooking and baking pastries on a large scale for people…. this has kept me busy and with me preparing for my bar exams, I hardly get bored.

Holla me on [email protected] if you want a friend that will drive loneliness away from you, I live in Saskatchewan by the way….

43. binighel

May 19, 2017 at 10:32 pm

im in Toronto well Milton and I don’t have up to 5 girl friends smh lol.. holla back

44. Dee

January 4, 2018 at 5:15 pm

where in canada are you? we can hang out and i am ghanaian as well and a female too

45. Victoria

March 22, 2018 at 9:49 pm

i’ve just moved to Toronto, and i can use some friends around my age range. i’m 32 will be 33 in July. you can contact me via email [email protected]. thanks!

46. Jude

September 29, 2018 at 2:18 pm

Are there Nigerians living in Pickering Ontario? Am trying to connect with Nigerian peeps here.