News

Domestic Violence: Mercy Aigbe-Gentry writes Open Letter to her Estranged Husband Lanre

BellaNaija.com

Nollywood actress Mercy Aigbe-Gentry has written an open letter to her estranged husband Lanre Gentry after he, in an interview allegedly said she is mentally unstable.

The duo are currently involved in a domestic violence case which the police is investigating.

Mercy wrote on Instagram:

Dear Lanre Gentry, It breaks my heart that I have to do this but as it is you have left me with no choice……I had sleepless night because I just couldn’t comprehend why someone I loved , someone with whom I have a child will be hell bent on destroying me, I just cannot comprehend it…….. I read with tears in my eyes all the LIES you fabricated against me, LIES you feel will justify your inhumane act, LIES you feel will gain you public sympathy and LIES calculated to bring my person to public opprobrium……..

You claim ….
(1) I am Mentally Unstable (2) That you have caught me with different men
(3) That I do not take care of my parents (4) That a man rented an apartment for me……….
LIES all LIES……..
Dear hubby I challenge you to back on your claims with PROOF!!!!!!!!!……….
Hmmmm lanre you forget quickly!…., you forget how I have labored and stood by you all these years, even tho all what I was getting from you was constant beating, harassment, threat to my life and threat to destroying my image if I dare leave you…… .,,You must PROVE all your allegations otherwise God knows I am going to add another lawsuit to the one on ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Although my Team has been pleading with me to stay silent all these while, but I have come to realize that you want to ride on my keeping mum……
#saynotodomesticviolence #realmendonthit
#mylifeisnotinyourhands

Lanre responded to the post saying: “(it’s) not true”.

1. Red

May 5, 2017 at 8:35 am

These two….sigh!!!!????

• blackbeatle

May 5, 2017 at 11:30 pm

coming to think of it..where they ever formally married at all?? when ??so maybe this is just a relatoinship breakup

2. Ijs

May 5, 2017 at 8:46 am

My gosh! Should people even marry?

• Bee

May 5, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Honestly ! should they?

3. I dont usually do this

May 5, 2017 at 8:54 am

Its well with this two… Husbands, Please be patient, wives, honor your husbands. If ya’all have issues, thrash them out respectfully. The sad truth is that some people are not suppose to be called husbands or wives cos they are still children. May we all grow in the knowledge and fear of God.

4. Wunmi

May 5, 2017 at 8:56 am

Bhuahaha ? ‘It’s not true’ that’s all u oils mutter out of everything she’s wrote?Egbon sorry,that’s what u get when u marry the merciless Mercy.
    Mercy u sef,after chopping the man dry come dey shout domestic violence upandan.Radrada

• missB

May 5, 2017 at 9:20 am

and you are a woman? did she not also contribute to the home? bunch of crazies running about kmt. so because he did what a husband was SUPPOSED to do he has every right to lay hands on her like this? miss me with your BS please.

ladies be CAREFUL be very CAREFUL. some men/women of this generation are walking demons because the way they will turn on you when shit goes south ehn will call you all sort of names,tell lies etc meanwhile you have been covering their asses for years even when they have never seen you do the contrary because they are abusers they will assume and believe even what anybody says. trust me my mum suffered this fate and thank God she left because she probably wouldn’t have lived longer. i also think everyone should see the movie “girl on the train” you will watch it and be so confused until you get to the end and your jaw will drop . it described what the perfect abuser looked like.

Anyway. when the Good Nigerian men start speaking against the violence and crap then this will continue to be the fate of woman. pastors can you start preaching about it in church on sundays rather than at couple retreats for start because na una suppose start the movement against this nonsense .

happy Friyay folks.

• Afrodite

May 5, 2017 at 9:20 am

You’re very silly for that comment. Nothing justifies domestic violence.

• Rolly

May 5, 2017 at 11:33 am

I hate Nigerian women sometimes. We are our own enemies.

5. Wunmi

May 5, 2017 at 8:58 am

Pls ignore d typo peeps
    Autocorrect bullshit

• lily

May 5, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Autocorrect takes the blame again! Even if we ignore the typos, your comment leaves me wondering if you’re intellectually challenged.

• Anon

May 5, 2017 at 1:01 pm

lily – ouch!

6. MrsO

May 5, 2017 at 9:01 am

Mercy, you didn’t have to respond. Lanre dug his own grave by continuously running his mouth.. anybody with a brain can see him for the animal he is..

7. Mahka

May 5, 2017 at 9:08 am

Chai, it’s still morning, Wat do I have with this tea ?, agege bread anyone?
    Seriously, all that glitters is not gold..

• June

May 5, 2017 at 9:27 am

I am having crumpets with mine☕️! All this is so sad though. Marriage, abuse,violence, rape,threats I could go on and on . I’m just wondering – when did we get here as a society? Has it always been like this?????? Or this new age of social media is putting more light to these dark issues???? Sigh*

• Abi

May 5, 2017 at 12:48 pm

Oh I want crumpets!

• MadamYe...

May 5, 2017 at 2:13 pm

Definitely bringing more light on these issues. These things have always been going on. There was just no voice or platform to make us aware of this,

8. Cmbo

May 5, 2017 at 9:16 am

Oh well. This is the age of social media and i guess it is no longer business as usual. If you don’t want your business outside, be careful what you do inside. It makes me laugh when people get uncomfortable with all these expose. He has been talking since this episode happened, i hope he is ready to take it when she begins to talk too.

9. Fabulous

May 5, 2017 at 9:19 am

Drama

10. Mimiph

May 5, 2017 at 9:23 am

Mercy dear.. Thank God you are out of his life for good.You need to stay healthy,keep your sanity,stay positive for your happiness and wellbeing of your children.I know its going to be hard along the line.Your a strong lady,you can beat this..coming from a mother,wife,sister…I gatch ya..

11. Deleke

May 5, 2017 at 9:28 am

All this ‘open letter’ drama on social media sha….
    Looks there’s n coming back on this one so my advice for you guys is SPLIT and move the f**k on

12. Vienna

May 5, 2017 at 9:37 am

A stormy marriage and a svelte proposal in one week lol. Life is really a pot of beans.

13. Sophie

May 5, 2017 at 9:41 am

What I notice about the Nigerians they are not an example of a true marriage. They pretend a lot about this marriage issue but they are not living by it. Emmmm happy marry life Mercy babeee!!!!!!!

• Anon

May 5, 2017 at 10:10 am

“the Nigerians” – do you mean all Nigerians? Have you come to that conclusion based on what you read on social media?

• Eliot

May 5, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Wooow, thanks for this epic reply.

14. Dude

May 5, 2017 at 9:42 am

All i’m worried about is their daughter, both of them can go take a piss

• Anon

May 5, 2017 at 10:11 am

Plus, a son. Their son.

15. ec

May 5, 2017 at 9:53 am

you married monster and a loser who now speaks ill of you and states you have been cheating etc.
    oh dear

16. Ada

May 5, 2017 at 9:58 am

I dont understand her story. She was the same person who put a video on facebook 2 weeks back that she does not know where the stories of her husband beating her were emanating from, now she puts up pictures of injuries? There are always 3 sides to a story, her side, his side and the truth.

• annonymous

May 5, 2017 at 10:35 am

The video you saw last week or so is an old video she did with her husband some years ago when SDK broke the news that her husband beat her up after he caught her cheating in a hotel room. The media simply started re-circulating the video again following this recent development.

• Adebisi

May 5, 2017 at 11:16 am

The extent to which a woman can go to protect her home. I guess she just couldn’t take no more.Adebisi

17. Tosin

May 5, 2017 at 10:01 am

This is serious. It is well

I feel lonely these days and I think I need friends, people who will be willing to chat with me sometimes
    I’m 24 and a final year student
    I’m not stylishly searching for a bf o, please.lol
    I need friends, older or younger and I know this is a platform to have intelligent friends
    My BBM pin is D6060B1B

I’m very sorry, I know this is unrelated. Pardon me. Biko

18. Nelo

May 5, 2017 at 10:55 am

Thank God Mercy got out alive. She has probably been living in fear. And many people in this our country need to be re-orientated about abuse. It is never the victims fault, neither did they ask to be beaten constantly. If you are tired of your wife, send her packing. Marriage is hard. Yet no offence is worth killing another person for. You see some people saying thats what she deserves for marrying a rich older man. But go to the ghettos, men with nothing, some who r being fed by their wives still beat them up. Mercy runs her business ‘MAG divas’ in addition to acting as well so I cant assume shes a lazy leech.

The same goes for rape. Abuse is never okay. Men and women alike need to learn discipline. This life is not hard biko. I am happy more women are having the guts to speak out (whether on social media) and walk out of such abusive relationships. I am married and so many times one is busy covering up and putting up appearances bcos of what people will say. But damn them. We all deserve to live our best lives.

19. Mama

May 5, 2017 at 11:04 am

This our society and marriage by force. That’s what is killing us. You must be married or you are not a human being. The day my husband tries me, rat poison will be his portion. Mercy will be ok.

20. CHERYL

May 5, 2017 at 12:10 pm

hmmm!!! it is well Mercy, God will see thru, i read a comment in one of the blogs where a lady said she corrected mercy some times ago abt something she was wearing and mercy insulted her, telling her d piece is more expensive dan all d girl can afford and blablabla she den appologised but mercy went on insulting her, telling her to get a rich husband like hers and b successful bfore commenting on her page. see heen dis lyf, all is well sha

• Beeeee

May 5, 2017 at 12:36 pm

So what does that have to do with the matter now? She deserved to be turned into a punching bag because she bragged about her rich husband and her success?

• Bennie

May 5, 2017 at 1:14 pm

Thanks for that reply. Nobody man or woman deserves to be turned to a punching bag, everybody deserve the right to live free and be happy

21. Anonz

May 5, 2017 at 1:44 pm

The only Edo/Yoruba couple that matters this week is Susu and Banky. Mercy and Lanre, abeg carry una wahala and go (insert Mr Ibu meme).

22. Marlee

May 5, 2017 at 1:45 pm

All is welloh. They keep saying “he is the air that I breath” and then making a sharp u-turn shouting abuse abuse. Lady stop glorifying husbandso on social media. Keep things to your very self.

23. survivor

May 5, 2017 at 1:58 pm

So its thru this man was pummeling the wife

24. Bose

May 5, 2017 at 3:55 pm

Mercy, my advice for you is to ignore this looser, I,ve bn there. By the Grace of God I,m in my mid sixties and my own husband drove out with a matchet all because he wanted another woman after he had taken all my money, and lying from both sides of his mouth and calling me names. The best thing my dear let him counting to fool himself. He will suffer for all he made you pass through. The Lord will heal you

25. Anthony

May 6, 2017 at 9:57 am

NO ANY RESPONSIBLE MAN WILL RAISE HIS HAND ON A WOMAN.THE EVERY DAY A MAN RAISES HIS HAND TO BEAT UP HIS WIFE IS THE DAY THAT HE HAS USED HIS OWN HAND TO DEMOLISHED THE FOUNDATION OF HIS HOUSE AND THE GLORY OF ALMIGHTY GOD WILL BE FAR FROM SUCH MAN. NOT ONLY ON YOUR WIFE BUT EVERY WOMEN OUT THERE BCOS GOD COUNT THE TEARS THAT DROP FROM THERE EYES . REMEMBER THIS IN THE PROCESS OF BRINGING YOUR BABY TO THE WORLD ,THE PAIN THEY WILL PASS TRU FOR 9 MONTHS WHILE YOU MEN WILL CONTINUE TO ENJOY UR SELF,THEN COME TO THINK OF IT THE DAY OF DELIVERY NKO ON LEG IN HEAVEN AND THE OTHER ONE ON EARTH TRYING TO BRING YOUR OWN CHILD TO THE WORLD,NOW TELL ME WHAT DO A WOMAN WILL DO THAT A MAN WILL BE JUSTIFY IN BEATING HER UP FOR ANY MISTAKE SHE MADE,TELL ME IS THE MAN PERFECT ?

26. [email protected]

May 6, 2017 at 3:41 pm

Women see the sign that a man is violent but they will stay put, give birth to children and finally give up on the man. My advice….. Never tolerate, manage, repair, try to change a violent person the issues they have is beyond them. Run!!! Run!!!! from them.