Events

Join in the Pilgrimage & Rosary Prayer Walk to Celebrate the Marian Year & Centenary of the Fatima Apparition | Saturday, May 27th

BellaNaija.com

The Blessed Virgin Mary left the heavens on a mission to our world in 1917. She visited 3 little shepherd children, enjoining them to pray the Rosary daily to obtain peace for the world. She laid so much emphasis on prayer and penance; making sacrifices for sinners so that people will stop going to hell. She targeted the young so that their love for God can be deep rooted, spread faster and be more effective.

Our Lady of Fatima promised graces necessary for salvation for mankind at the hour of death. 100years after this august apparition, she fulfilled the promise of saving Russia. As we celebrate this peculiar centenary, more soldiers of the Rosary are encouraged for our world is still in great need of God’s mercy and graces.

The church has canonized the two of the little shepherd children who died earlier as saints: Francisco and Jacinta. The procession on May 2017 is from National Stadium to Marian Shrine.

Date: Saturday, May 27h, 2017
Time: 7.00 am
Venue: National Stadium to Marian Shrine, Maryland, Lagos.

We all will journey as pilgrims praying our Rosary and marking the centenary of Fatima Apparition and celebrating the Marian Year. Our Lady of Fatima…Pray for Us.

——————————————————————————————————————
Sponsored Content

1. adaada

May 25, 2017 at 7:09 pm

There is only one mediator betweeennGod and man and his name is JESus

• Mama

May 25, 2017 at 9:03 pm

May God bless you!!!!
      This is pure Idol Worship!!!! Fatima is not in the Bible. These people better repent or end up in hell.

• Truth hurts

May 26, 2017 at 6:58 am

@ Mama. If you think everything is in the bible….it’s not possible. Even Jesus Christ himself said in the last chapter of the gospel of John. That if everything he’s said and did was in the bible….all the books in the world will not contain it.

Trying to explain the Catholic Church in one sitting to non-catholics is frustrating.
      It’s the oldest church in the world….established by Jesus Christ himself. The 1st pope was St Peter the apostle. A lot of the church”s teaching cane from oral traditions passes by mouth from apostles to the church. You need to read a lot of history to understand the church.
      Even the bible was compiled by the Catholic Church. …a priest St Malachi. The church decided which books were inspired by God to be placed in the bible. Martin Luther removed some books which comprises the bible of protestants. Some of the books Martin Luther removed explained a lot of catholic traditions. ..this is why protestants feel catholics do not follow the bible. Eg the book of maccabes explains purgatory, the book of tobit explains the role of angel Raphael etc.
      So the bible didn’t fall from the sky. There are so many gospels that didn’t make it into the bible. In the holy mass celebrated everyday in the Catholic Church. We have 3 readings from the bible and one psalm. In a year….we cover the entire bible. Every year in the Catholic church.
      So when people say to catholics ‘read your bible’ it’s quite ridiculous.

• truth hurts

May 26, 2017 at 3:53 pm

Typo…..St Jerome a catholic priest..helped translate and compile the Bible not st Malachi

2. C

May 25, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Shuffering and Shmiling

3. molarah

May 25, 2017 at 7:30 pm

The church was mentioned in this post, but there was no reference at all to Jesus Christ. Is this the church He came to set up, or another one we need to be aware of??

• Truth hurts

May 25, 2017 at 10:34 pm

The blessed Virgin Mary…always leads to JESUS. but you saw God right? We believe that JESUS Christ is also GOD. God the son….the holy trinity…does this sound familiar?

• Amaju Onifade

May 26, 2017 at 1:46 pm

It is the only church set up by Jesus Christ. Before ascending to heaven (yesterday was the solemnity of the Ascension) He appointed Peter as successor to take care/lead His flock on earth, knowing fully well that each generation would give way to the next. Yes Peter did leave the earth a few years after Jesus, but how would you identify the Church founded by Christ? Why not look for Peter’s successor.

• Ugee

May 26, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Those who honor Mary do so because of her role in the birth and nurturing of Jesus Christ. The angel declared her as the most favored/blessed among women, that’s what Catholics try to remember. I see some of us Pentecostal brothers hanging the frame of their General Overseers. Is that idol worshiping? Ofcourse not. It is simply to remember.

Mary’s role in the salvationic mission can’t be wished away. I will honor her always, but not worship her.

4. Cocoa

May 25, 2017 at 7:40 pm

I had the same question. No mention of Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit in me rejects it. I haven’t really educated myself on catholism….but something just doesn’t sit well with me.one would think it is Mary and not Jesus that came and died for our sins and interceeds on our behalf. THE Bible says nothing about praying a rosary.

I do not type this to mock or dishonour anyone but PLEASE….DELVE INTO THE BIBLE FOR YOURSELVES AND SEEK THE TRUTH!!!

• Nelo

May 25, 2017 at 8:12 pm

Then why dont u educate urself first before commenting ignorantly. Who gave birth to Jesus biko? Why do you guys hate to hear the name of Mary so much, I dont get it. And no catholics dont worship her, we honour her for the great role she played and still plays in the life of those who choose to honour her. If you did not know, the catholic church also uses science to verify things, apparitions, miracles, etc. No be by force o because you would rather give that honour to your daddy G.O and pastor But issokay.

• The Real Oma

May 25, 2017 at 8:41 pm

And herein lies the problem with the world, the root cause of the strife we are now experiencing –
      because people can’t Live and Let live.
      Why does other people’s practise of their faith trouble you? Why do you want everyone to be like you? To worship the way you do?

You said you have not ‘really educated yourself on Catholicism” perhaps you should first do that before disparaging other people’s beliefs on the internet?

And was your last paragraph supposed to make your comment polite? even when you, in caps no less, imply Catholics don’t or haven’t actually read the bible for themselves? (I’m not even going to delve into the ridiculousness/absurdity of your assertion)

People, learn to live and let live, so long as no one is forcing you to join them, let them be! Face your front.

P.S. I was born Catholic, I was raised one, I’m currently not ‘practising’ but I would never condemn RCCG’s practises or Islam’s for matter.

• Truth hurts

May 25, 2017 at 10:40 pm

The rosary is in the bible o.
      It’s made up of our father, hail Mary and glory be.
      Our father is the Lord’s prayer….taught by JESUS himself in the bible.
      Half of hail Mary is the greeting recited by Angel Gabriel to Mary. Also in the bible.
      Glory be to the father, son and holy spirit is worshipping the holy trinity which is the foundation of out Christian faith.
      There’s no way the holy spirit can reject the rosary cos it glorifies God.
      Which other thing is confusing you? I can explain.

5. A

May 25, 2017 at 8:18 pm

I am so looking forward to this , I love you mama Mary, for generations unto generations shall call you blessed.The Rosary is powerful , we as Catholics honour you and we adore you.

• Afoma Okonkwo

May 26, 2017 at 1:41 am

We honour the great Queen. The great mother of God who denied her will and accepted the will of God knowing fully well what she was going to pass through to watch her child scourged, despised and rejected by men. She resigned her will and made her self a slave by saying “LET IT BE DONE TO ME ACCORDING TO THY WILL”
      My queen, help me to imitate your virtues and be a slave to God through you because the will of God is ever greater than the plan I have for my life.
      We adore you oh Lord and we praise you because by your holy word you have redeemed the world.

6. Patrick

May 25, 2017 at 8:26 pm

Idol worshipping in your face, lol!! Sadly they don’t even know it.

• Dami

May 25, 2017 at 11:05 pm

it’s not idol worshipping dear. it’s called intercession. you trust that your mum will always plead your cause to your dad.. .. it’s that simple. your adore your mum right…equally simple.
      the Catholic Church practices are as simple as your daily living. differince is there is no daddy or mummy GO. it’s all in the Bible.

• Nuna

May 26, 2017 at 9:47 am

No wahala. Leave us be. We are not harming you

• Nuna

May 26, 2017 at 9:54 am

Yea but you go to ur pastor to help yo u pray to God abi?

• Shut up Patrick, I mean it, shut up

May 26, 2017 at 11:53 am

You know nothing, go and kneel down for your Daddy & Mommy GO while others practice their faith okay?

7. Ada

May 25, 2017 at 8:32 pm

Do not speak of what you do not know of. If you don’t understand Catholics, skip. You don’t have to comment.

8. TheAppleOfMotherMarysEye

May 25, 2017 at 8:37 pm

Awesome stuff..I love you my darling Mother, Intercessor Extraordinaire! Pray for us now and at the hour of our death. Amen!

9. Nky

May 25, 2017 at 8:43 pm

Jesus Christ is the only mediator. May God almighty in his infinite goodness give us the grace to study and understand his word revealed in the Holy Bible, Amen

• Dami

May 25, 2017 at 11:10 pm

indeed he is. but if we go to mere mortals to help pray for us….I can as well go to the one who bore the saviour of the world, the one who made Jesus perform his first miracle when he wasn’t even ready, the one at whose presence the child in Elizabeth womb lept for joy, the one who Jesus even at the point of death instructed the apostles to behold their mother……. God favoured her and so we……..mere mortals will do same. Our Lady, the Virgin Mother is who I speak off. indeed all generations shall call her blessed.

• Afoma Okonkwo

May 26, 2017 at 1:47 am

It is written (Ezekiel 44:2): “This gate shall be shut, it shall not be opened, and no man shall pass through it; because the Lord the God of Israel hath entered in by it.” Expounding these words, Augustine says in a sermon (De Annunt. Dom. iii): “What means this closed gate in the House of the Lord, except that Mary is to be ever inviolate? What does it mean that ‘no man shall pass through it,’ save that Joseph shall not know her? And what is this–‘The Lord alone enters in and goeth out by it’–except that the Holy Ghost shall impregnate her, and that the Lord of angels shall be born of her? And what means this–‘it shall be shut for evermore’–but that Mary is a virgin before His Birth, a virgin in His Birth, and a virgin after His Birth?”

• MARYMYMOTHER

May 26, 2017 at 4:10 pm

I HOPE YOU DON’T GO TO YOUR PASTOR’S TO PRAY TO GOD FOR YOU.????

10. Genevieve

May 25, 2017 at 8:58 pm

My dear non Catholics, Jesus is the mediator. Mary is the intercessor. And please we Catholics read the Bible. Live and let live. our Lady of Fatima, pray for us.

11. Tee

May 25, 2017 at 9:02 pm

When it comes to my faith and my church, I educate people, it is been a great pleasure been a Catholic and by God’s grace I would continue to remain a Catholic, the Bible tells us all generation would call Mother Mary blessed. Like 1:46-55
    And Mary said, “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;., the rosary: Luke 1:28 – The angel went to her and said,
    “ Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.” we Catholic worship Jesus Christ and adore Him as our Lord and Saviour, we adore you O Lord and praise you, because by your Holy Cross you have redeemed the world.

• Pat

May 25, 2017 at 11:41 pm

God bless u plenty for this wisdom u av delivered.

12. mtchew

May 25, 2017 at 9:02 pm

Let people serve God the way they want to! what if I dont believe in your Jesus? why are you people like this? I hate when other Christians criticize catholic faith. like I will never understand. you people are just bunch of ignorant hypocrites. Religion is freaking man made, you believe so much in this jesus because one man came up with the idea, If people decide to wish God in what ever way who are you to talk trash about their own way? ,Make una rest abeg. Baseless talk about how to serve God! oversabi!

• Nuna

May 26, 2017 at 9:52 am

EXACTLY!!!! I will never understand. All you people who dash your daddy GOs your money, please continue and leave us in peace.

13. mojamosa lafinmoakinjuokunrin

May 25, 2017 at 10:24 pm

Hail Mary, Blessed are you among women.Holy Mary pray for us now and at the hour of our death.Amen

14. Truth hurts

May 25, 2017 at 10:30 pm

I know a lot of people will hyperventilatell a day lose sleep over this post.
    80% of those who comment will do so to bash the Catholic practice of ‘worshipping mary’ ….as they blindly see it.

These same people are the same ones who will kneel down and worship Daddy G.O…..

Same ones who will say ‘pastor pray for me’ with so much passion and belief

If you can believe so much in your pastor”s prayers and intercession…tell me why I won’t also believe in the intercession of the womb that bore our saviour?
    Jesus is still the main mediatior to God the father. We catholics believe that righteous people like his mother Mary and the saints can join us in inerceding to JESUS. ….through whom all prayers are made to God. Get this fact right.

It’s even there in the book of James…that the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective (James 5:16).

The hail Mary prayer that makes a lot of non-catholics mad…half of it was lifted from the bible. Words of the messenger of God…the angel Gabriel:
    Luke 1: 28
    Hail.Mary full of grace the Lord is with you. Blessed are you amongst women and blessed is the fruit of your womb (Jesus). – God’s word not ours

And we catholics add- ‘Holy Mary (God did call her blessed) mother of God (well we Christians believe Jesus is God)….pray for us sinners …now and the hour of our death. (Is there anything wrong in asking a holy person to pray for you? )

We did not say…Holy Mary forgive us our sins…..we did not say…Holy Mary have mercy on us.

It’s not by force to believe in our lady’s intercession….but pls stop condemning people that do.
    Live and let leave.

15. Missy J

May 25, 2017 at 10:41 pm

*Sigh*
    Who interceded at the wedding at Cana when Jesus turned water to wine??
    What was Jesus last words to John the beloved and Mary on the cross??
    What God’s command to Moses when the Israelites were bitten by snakes??

*Into your hands only Lord we commend our spirit.
    Holy Mary, Pray for us!!

16. Truth hurts

May 25, 2017 at 10:45 pm

BelLa Naija…please post all my comments explaining salient points people raised. If not
    ..I’ll accuse u of bias. Lol

17. Cocoa

May 25, 2017 at 11:19 pm

I am still hoping someone (a Catholic preferably) would shed light and educate me. I am OPEN. Of course I could ask the Catholics I know in “real life”….but the limitations here allow for sentiments to be left on the side (well I hope)

Just explain why prayers are made to Mary(if they are) and any Bible verses that support this would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Thanks.

• Truth hurts

May 25, 2017 at 11:23 pm

Bella Naija refused to post my previous comments so I’ll type another epistle.

Explaining the role of Mary in Catholic worship.

Jesus Christ is God the son. He’s the mediator between man (us) and God the father. He died on the cross for this purpose.

We pray to God the father through Jesus Christ

The bible also tells us in James 5:28….that we should pray for one another….the prayer of a righteous person is POWERFUL AND EFFECTIVE. he even enjoined us to meet elders in our church to pray for us and anoint us.
      It’s based on this principle that catholics seek the intercession of people who were close to God and lived exemplary Christian lives. Mary the mother of Jesus is the perfect example of a holy person who can join us in praying to JESUS. a perfect example was in the bible at the wedding in Cana. ..where through her intercession, Jesus worked a miracle even though his time had not yet come. She didn’t force him…he chose to do it…but she sort of coerced him. How many of us can refuse our mothers?

So many non- catholics meet their pastors to pray for them.

The hail Mary prayer had its origins in the bible. The 1st part being the greeting of the angel Gabriel to Mary. 1st chapter of Luke.
      The remaining part is ‘holy Mary. ..mother of God (Jesus Christ is God the son)…pray for us sinners..now and at the hour of our death.

Can’t see any form of worship here.

Peace be with you.

• Truth hurts

May 25, 2017 at 11:32 pm

In the Catholic Church, the highest form of prayer is the holy mass. Where God (father, son and spirit) is worshipped. We do say the holy Mary once during mass.

We have additional prayers too. The rosary is one of these additional prayers. And it’s made up of 3 prayers. The our father…..taught by Jesus Christ in the bible ( Matthew 6:9 to 13.) .The 2nd prayer os the hail Mary is also in the bible (1st chapter of Luke 1: 28). ….the remaining part of the prayer tells her to pray for us to her son JESUS CHRIST.
      The last prayer of the rosary is the Glory be which adores the holy trinity (father, son and holy spirit).

Thus the rosary is very much in keeping with the bible and our Christian faith.

• Jaxen

May 26, 2017 at 12:00 am

Refer to Tee’s comment.

• Afoma Okonkwo

May 26, 2017 at 2:02 am

Prayers are made to mary as an intercessor. When angel Gabriel visited our Lady he said “Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you” and when she said how could this be, the angel said “the Holy Spirit will over shadow you” my Mother was the first person to receive the Holy Spirit and she was an evangeliser by bringing Jesus to the world. Also when Mary visited saint Elizabeth the baby in her womb leapt for joy and she exclaimed ” who am I to be visited by the mother of my lord, for the moment I heard your voice the baby in my womb leapt for joy” “blessed are you among women”

• Mary

May 26, 2017 at 11:55 am

My dear, there is no need, believe what you can and leave the rest. Actually, no one knows which church is perfect/true. Live right and just. I believe and trust the catholic church. I read my bible daily and do what God has asked me to do.

18. Truth hurts

May 25, 2017 at 11:33 pm

Sorry. Regarding my previous post I meant James 5: 16……not James 5: 28. Bless you.

19. Fast cars

May 25, 2017 at 11:54 pm

Was born a Catholic, raised a Catholic, left in ignorance. Became a radical Pentecostal and even mocked Catholics.
    But i went back. Oh how glad I am that I am back to the Catholic faith. I will never leave again. Thank you Lord Jesus for the gift of your true church.
    If only they know that the holy rosary is our true weapon against the devil and evil. I have seen it manifest, this is not “dem say dem say”
    Thank you Our Lady of Fatima for your endless intercessions.
    Our Lady of Fatima Pray for us
    Our Lady Ark of the new convenant Pray for us.
    Our Mother of Perpetual help Pray for us.

I don’t have time to educate anybody. Visit a Catholic Church near you or if u are around Ikeja area, visit the Marian Shrine at St Agnes Catholic church, go to where her statue is, kneel down there for five minutes (or more) Tell our Lady that you are tired of mocking Catholics, tell her that you want to know what you don’t know that You think to know. Tell Our Lady to intercede to her Son Our Lord and Only Saviour Jesus Christ to open your heart and impart rare wisdom to you about this things that Catholics do. I assure you that if you say this prayer from your heart, She will turn up for you.
    P.S: Remember to thank me later on this same Bellanaija.

• Tee

May 26, 2017 at 1:38 pm

“go to where her statue is, kneel down there for five minutes (or more)”

And why would I do that? You see the problem right there?

20. Afoma Okonkwo

May 26, 2017 at 2:16 am

My Queen and my Mother. I love thee and I will my life to Jesus thy divine son through thee. I hail thee oh Daughter of God the Father. Mother of God the Son. Spouse of the Holy Spirit. Temple of the blessed trinity. Our Lady of Fatima, pray for us. Our Mother of perpetual help, come to our aid oh loving mother. Help us oh loving mother. Come hasten to assist us oh Mother sweet and kind. My dear Brothers and sisters. Trust in her intercession, there is nothing she asks of her son on our behalf that will not be granted because that is how God honurs her for making herself a slave. she proved it at the wedding feast at canna. God help us all.

21. The real dee

May 26, 2017 at 2:32 am

Reading this just made me realize how much confusion there is in the world. Holy Spirit help me as I type and let at least one person understand.

First, there can never be any relationship between the dead and the living. The dead cannot speak or even know of things that happen on earth. (Eccle 9:5-6 clearly explains that the dead know nothing, the dead have no feelings and can never partake in anything happening on earth). Mary is dead and in heaven, she cannot pray for anybody, she cannot mediate between you and God. Why? She is dead. She was a human being like me and you who was chosen to bear Jesus. The only person who can pray for you is Jesus. Why? He is not dead. He died and rose again. So He is alive. (Romans 8.34 clearly establishes that Jesus is at the right hand of God interceding for us).

Second, perhaps, there is nothing wrong with honoring Mary, but why not ask your self, why don’t we honor Rahab, at least she was the great, great,great…..grandmother of Jesus? Why don’t we honor Joseph, wasn’t he the earthly father of Jesus even though his conception was spiritual? Ask yourself, why did they choose to honor Mary? Why do we have a statue of this Mary in our churches? Some people even have an altar for Mary in their houses which they pray before, why? It is because the ‘Mary’ you are bowing before, and asking to pray for you is not Mary the mother of Jesus. It is a mere statue. And this practice of bowing to Mary in ‘honor’ asking her to pray for you is not different from an idol worshiper who bows before a god he has carved and asks his idol to pray for him everyday.
    Ask yourself, who saw Mary and was able to identify her looks to create that statue? Remember Exodus 20:4 (You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth)

And be honest, who is mentioned more in a Mass, Mary or Jesus? I’ve attended catholic masses before, I had to as I was in a Catholic school, we recited ‘Holy Mary’ everytime, morning and midday. Jesus rarely came up in the prayers. So ask yourself, who is truly being worshiped? And then ruminate on John 14: 6, Jesus answered, “I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes tot he Father except through me”. Also meditate on Revelation 22:8-9, where John bowed before and angel to worship at his feet and the angel stopped him. Ask yourself, will Mary desire my honor in heaven? Will Mary want me to ask that she prays for me?

Most importantly, ask the Holy Spirit to reveal the truth to you. John 16:13 says, He will guide you into all truth.

• Uberhaute looks

May 26, 2017 at 8:20 am

Let me say, you are semi literate as per Catholic is concerned. You really need to read your Bible more… Half education is a disease and you can do well to visit a priest to explain and enlighten you better.

• Wana

May 26, 2017 at 8:34 am

God bless you. My problem with Catholics is they choose not to accept criticism about their religion.

• Nuna

May 26, 2017 at 9:50 am

My dear, please stick to your own Christianity. See the long epistle you wrote on top Catholicism. Nobody is forcing you to join us. The people who are in the Catholic church are not being led blindly. We know how many blessings and graces we obtain by our rosary and novenas and we stand by it. All this your love letter wont make any difference

• Tee

May 26, 2017 at 11:33 am

Virgin Mary is deemed the patron saint of all human activity, specifically any positive activity. She is the patron saint of numerous professions, activities, countries and dioceses, when we say “Holy Mary, Mother of God…”, we’re calling her a Saint. we don’t often refer to living Christians as saints. The smoke of the incense, mixed with the prayers of God’s holy people, ascended up to God from the altar where the angel had poured them out. Revelation 8:4, this version is referring to those who have lived lives worthy of imitation, who are believed to be in heaven. Mother Mary blessed among all woman cannot be compared to Rahab remember Mother Mary is the Mother of our Saviour and Lord Jesus Christ, the bible also tells us that Jesus also has other Great-Grandmother ,Tamar, Rahab, Ruth Bathsheba were all mentioned in the bible.
      Joseph is the husband of Mary, mother of Jesus, and is venerated as Saint in the Catholic Church Our statues of Jesus, Mary and the saints are ways that Catholics honor and preserve their memory.
      Remember the expression, “out of sight, out of mind?” As Catholics, we never want Jesus, and Mary, and the example of the saints to be out of sight or out of mind, but be forever enduring in our hearts, and in our every day lives. we never worship Mary in the catholic church or our homes but honour her, therefore, the church used statues, paintings and stained glass windows to visually portray the stories in the bible and show what people from that time period may have looked like.

The stained glass windows in the catholic church often depicted the stories from Jesus’ life visually, so that everyone, including little children, could understand who Jesus was.
      It isn’t much different today. We have photographs of our grandparents parents to remember them by, and share stories about who they were, with our children. Music and You Tube videos on the internet tell a story in a couple of minutes, mostly by using pictures and a few words too.
      Catholics bow to images/icons of Mary not because she is present in them, but because of what they represent: the fact that Mary holds the highest position among the saints and her unique role of intercessor for humans. The images are reminders of this fact .
      Worship is reserved only for God, the Holy Trinity. Mary is still a human like us, but also a saint, and she is the most highly revered of all the saints because she represents the perfect model of a Christian fidelity through God’s gift to her of being born without original sin, and by her perfect example of obedience to God’s will as evidenced in the Bible.
      Bowing down to them or kneeling to pray before them is not necessarily an act of worship. Bowing and kneeling can mean different things in different cultures. For example, in Japan, people bow to each other simply to show mutual respect and honor. Kneeling can simply be an act of humility, love, and supplication, as we ask for the prayers of the particular angel or saint depicted in the image or statue. The intention is simply that the veneration or supplication that we offer passes on to the person that the image represents. Catholics certainly do not intend to ask the paint on a canvas or the plaster or wood in a statue to hear their prayers!

As mother of the King of Kings, she is the saint of saints. Furthermore, because the church is the body of Christ, and Mary is Christ’s mother, she is also the mother of the church. This means that in addition to having a special relationship with Jesus, Mary also has a special relationship with the church. She belongs to the church and the church belongs to her.
      So when we pray the rosary, or bow our heads during the creed, we are honoring our mother, and the mother of our Lord. Although she is not God, she has earned our respect and devotion.
      While they were eating, Jesus took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and giving it to his disciples said, “Take and eat; this is my body.” Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed on behalf of many for the forgiveness of sins.” (Mt 26:26-28; cf. Mk 14:22-24, Lk 22:17-20, 1 Cor 11:23-25)
      Recalling these words of Jesus, the Catholic Church professes that, in the celebration of the Eucharist, bread and wine become the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit and the instrumentality of the priest. Jesus said: “I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world. . . . For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink” (Jn 6:51-55). The whole Christ is truly present, body, blood, soul, and divinity, under the appearances of bread and wine—the glorified Christ who rose from the dead after dying for our sins. This is what the Church means when she speaks of the “Real Presence” of Christ in the Eucharist

• You Know Nothing

May 26, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Urgh, invoking the Holy Spirit and still spewing absurdities. As the HOLY SPIRIT for direction next time, and not stuff your pastor told you. Also, open your book of Revelations and read very well… You will know that MARY is not ‘dead”, she’s very much alive in our hearts as true devotees

• LemmeRant

May 26, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Didn’t want to get into this argument for obvious reasons.

@Nunu and @Uberhaute looks
      The real dee made some strong points backed up by the bible and your counter was to label her a semi illiterate and tell her to stick to her own religion.

What bugs me the most about Catholics is they seem to believe they practice a form of Christianity which other people can’t comprehend or understand.

The thing about the bible is that its very clear, it is accessible, there’s nothing secretive about it.

“You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth”

What is so difficult in this to understand. How can you say it is not okay to bow before images of Sango and Oya but not images of Mary.
      What gives you the belief that you can communicate with dead people?

You say you receive miracles, well worshippers of Ogun also receive their own miracles.

@the real dee has raised a lot of valid points in the context of the bible and I’m yet to see any catholic counter those points constructively also in the context of the Bible. Until then it is Idol worship to me.

And to the live and let live voltrons… Please show me the bible passage you got that from. If Christians live and let live a lot of pastors will continue to misinterpret the bible for their selfish gains, if we live and let live, Jesus wouldn’t have bothered coming…

• Amaju Onifade

May 26, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Fundamentalists often challenge the Catholic practice of asking saints and angels to pray on our behalf. But the Bible directs us to invoke those in heaven and ask them to pray with us.

Thus, in Psalm 103 we pray, “Bless the Lord, O you his angels, you mighty ones who do his word, hearkening to the voice of his word! Bless the Lord, all his hosts, his ministers that do his will!” (Ps. 103:20–21). And in the opening verses of Psalms 148 we pray, “Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise him in the heights! Praise him, all his angels, praise him, all his host!”

Not only do those in heaven pray with us, they also pray for us. In the book of Revelation, John sees that “the twenty-four elders [the leaders of the people of God in heaven] fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and with golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints” (Rev. 5:8). Thus the saints in heaven offer to God the prayers of the saints on earth.

Angels do the same thing: “[An] angel came and stood at the altar [in heaven] with a golden censer; and he was given much incense to mingle with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar before the throne; and the smoke of the incense rose with the prayers of the saints from the hand of the angel before God” (Rev. 8:3–4).

Jesus himself warned us not to offend small children, because their guardian angels have guaranteed intercessory access to the Father: “See that you do not despise one of these little ones; for I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven” (Matt. 18:10).

Because he is the only God-man and the Mediator of the New Covenant, Jesus is the only mediator between man and God (1 Tim. 2:5), but this in no way means we cannot or should not ask our fellow Christians to pray with us and for us (1 Tim. 2:1–4). In particular, we should ask the intercession of those Christians in heaven, who have already had their sanctification completed, for “[t]he prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects” (Jas. 5:16).

As the following passages show, the early Church Fathers not only clearly recognized the biblical teaching that those in heaven can and do intercede for us, but they also applied this teaching in their own daily prayer life.

• molarah

May 26, 2017 at 4:00 pm

May God bless you.

Someone up there in the comments told us to go to Mary the Blessed and ask her what we should do. Thank God someone did that in the bible, and her answer is on record for all of us and for generations to come. This was her answer:

“Whatsoever He (Jesus) saith unto you, do it” (John 2:5)

The real Mary, mother of Jesus, the one whom all generations call and will call blessed (Luke 1:48) will always refer you back to her Son anytime you approach her. Because she knows that He alone can mediate for you. He is the one that lives forever and ever to make intercessions for you (Hebrews 7:25). No other person – human or angel or other – has that power, because no one has overcome, no one else is worthy to open the scroll (see the book of Revelation for reference on this). No one deserves mention in the same breath as Jesus, not even His mother, and she herself knows this. The bible warns us very strongly against equating any one or anything to God. If you talk to the real Mary, she will redirect you to her Son. But if you are talking to a false Mary, an impostor, she will encourage you to direct worship to herself.

• MARYMYMOTHER

May 26, 2017 at 4:57 pm

ONE THING I KNOW THE CHURCH CANNOT ERR IN WHAT SHE TEACHIES, The church has been in existence more than 2000 years ago so bros pray more for the holy spirit who is the spouse of Mary to reveal The Whole Truth to you.

22. Mary's Son

May 26, 2017 at 3:52 am

I have received countless graces and blessings through the intercession of our blessed mother. Some years ago I was caught up in addiction to masturbation and other lustful sins, I met a Catholic priest and he told me to say the rosary for 21 consecutive days. I wasn’t able to complete the prayer not even half of it but God had mercy on me through her intercession and I was completely set free and transformed.
    I became one of the happiest creatures on earth.

I promise you, Cling to her and you will never go unaided

23. Adaeze Writes

May 26, 2017 at 8:43 am

In the book of Lake chapter 1 vs 48 it is written that all generations will call her blessed. We (Catholics) are the generation referred to in that verse and we will forever call her blessed.

24. Adaeze Writes

May 26, 2017 at 8:43 am

Luke*

25. Bella Naija post my comment

May 26, 2017 at 10:09 am

Bella Naija…if you post questions criticising the Catholic Church. ..it’d only fair to post comments countering those points.

This is for ‘the real dee’ and cocoa. And many other people who do not understand what the catholic church is about.

Ms Real dee….I really wonder which mass u went for. Pls attend a mass today and try your best to really take note of the number of times Mary’s name is mentioned in the mass. It’s just twice. 1st at the end of the prayers of the faithful, when hail Mary is said and 2nd during the eucharistic prayer. …and it’s just a mention.

The real dee…u also quoted ecclesiastes. ..where it’s said that dead people cannot do anything. Pls as a Christian do you belive in life after death? Ecclesiastes is in the old testament and is a Jewish text. Remember Jesus Christ came to ‘make right the Jewish laws’. The soul cannot die…and the souls of the good people go to heaven.

Not only do those in heaven pray with us, they also pray for us.

Because he is the only God-man and the Mediator of the New Covenant, Jesus is the only mediator between man and God (1 Tim. 2:5), but this in no way means we cannot or should not ask our fellow Christians to pray with us and for us (1 Tim. 2:1–4). In particular, we should ask the intercession of those Christians in heaven, who have already had their sanctification completed, for “[t]he prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects” (James: 5:16).

Jesus Christ who is also God..(1st chapter of Gospel of John)….intercedes btw men and God the father.
    Mary and the saints join us in praying to Jesus. They don’t intercede directly to God the father. Thus we do honor righteous people. ..Mary and the saints inclusive.

Finally, We DO NOT BOW before Mary’s image. I know some catholics do this but it’s wrong.

We only Bow before the blessed sacrament (the body of Jesus) which is kept in tabernacles in catholic churches. We prostrate before and adore the body of Jesus. Jesus told the apostles during the last supper ‘THIS IS MY BODY….do this in remembrance of me’.

You need to read a lot of history on the life of the early Christians to understand the Catholic Church cos the bible does not contain absolutely everything. There’s a place for oral tradition handed directly from the apostles to the early Christians.
    This traditions were lost when Christians divided and broke away from the initial body of Christ (the church founded by Jesus and which Peter was the 1st shephered). It’s the devil’s way of sowing discord.

I’m not trying to convert u to catholism. ..we’re all Christians and the most important thing is that we have all accepted Jesus.

Peace be with u.

26. A

May 26, 2017 at 10:52 am

Christian’s rushing to criticise and judge other Christians , the CATHOLIC CHURCH protects and provides for all Christians globally, without discrimination,. It amazes me to see the jealousy amongst other Christians towards the Catholic Church , first Catholics do not read the bible, that is the most outrageous suggestion, yes you would hardly fine a catholic priest preaching psychology, telling the congregation sweet words not written in the bible but from renowned psychologists, we as Catholics read the bible and understand the bible , we know the price the CATHOLIC CHURCH has paid to have the word of God in ever Conner of the world, we have being around for a pretty long time, and no matter what you throw at us CATHOLICS , we would continue to be around, growing and growing in billions , saving souls, beinging nations to Christ.

• Cocoa

May 27, 2017 at 6:35 pm

I do not think anyone can even dare to dispute the endless efforts of the Catholic Church to sustain communities across SEVERAL countries.

The discussion here (and I truely do see it to be discussion and not argument) is IMPERATIVE!!! It is important that Children of God search the scripturesand recieve revelations from the Holy Spirit to know the TRUTH! -“MY PEOPLE PERISH FOR LACK OF KNOWLEDGE” I do not want to be one of those people that perish for perish of knowledge….I SEEK THE KNOWDLEGE OF GOD ALWAYS!!!! –

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with JEALOUSY…it is even laughable to suggest this. THIS IS ABOUT SOULS…ETERNAL LIFE!!! This is wayyyyyyy bigger than jealousy.

27. Splendid

May 26, 2017 at 11:12 am

Hail Holy Queen. Queen of the Rosary, Pray for us. Mary, My Mother, my Confidence. Any body that is interested should read Luke 1: 26-55 and Revelation 12:1-2. Mind you, the Rosary contains Mysteries which is Jesus Life and journey to the cross. Joyful Mystery, Glorious Mystery, Sorrowful Mystery and Mystery of Light; they are all from the Bible. Don’t dwell in ignorance and be criticizing people’s faith. We Catholics don’t criticize you people on the way you honour your pastors and their wives. Some of you people keep your pastors pictures in the house as a sacred thing.

28. Emmanuela Invites you

May 26, 2017 at 11:37 am

Our Lady of Fatima Pray for us…
    I urge you fellow Nigerians to please try our Mother Mary. I would invite everyone of you reading this page to say the prayer on behalf of our country Nigeria….
    Hail Mary full of Grace the Lord is with you blessed are you amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus, Holy Mary Mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the our of our death, Amen….
    As I type this message I imagine about 10 Million Nigerians who visit this Bellanaija blog daily saying this prayer collectively today or tomorrow when this procession would be going on. Just say it at least once, like we call it in the Holy Catholic Church just… one Hail Mary…. for this intention: that God should make our country Nigeria a better place to live in, among other intentions you may have and see how our country Nigeria would be transformed. The prayers of Just three little children of Fatima had a great impact around the world. How much more the prayers of Nigerians for Nigeria. Everybody in Nigeria talks about how bad the country in and has become but just a handful has genuinely asked God in His infinite mercy to show us mercy and right our wrongs in this country.
    In conclusion , fellow Nigerians Catholics and non-Catholics please join us and say this prayer it will tear down the stronghold and make our country Nigeria Great again.
    Our Lady of Fatima — Pray for us
    Our Lady Queen of Nigeria — Pray for us
    Blessed Micheal Iwene Tansi— Pray for us

See you there Tomorrow

29. Mary

May 26, 2017 at 11:53 am

Join in the procession tomorrow and wait for the miracles to start happening. Oh Mary, how sweet and loving you are to all human kind, continue to interceded for us all your pilgrims here on earth sweet mother.

30. A Practical Catholic

May 26, 2017 at 11:54 am

Hi Cocoa, firstly I will say this, I am Catholic and I am very practical. That said, even the different prayers in the rosary are called ”the mysteries” The things of God are only clear when he chooses to reveal them.

Matt. 16: 18 Jesus said to Simon Peter, after Peter proclaimed him the Christ, son of God, ‘you are Peter and on this rock I will build my church…’
    John 19:26 Jesus said to Mary pointing at one of his disciples, ‘ Woman, behold thy son”

Jesus handed us ‘his disciple/church’ over to his mother when he was about to die. The same mother who made him perform his first miracle in John 2: 1-11 when it was not his ordained time to do so. So we pray to Mary to intercede for us to her son. Faith is ”the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen”,your faith is what unlocks your miracle.

Worship God wherever you find him. I found him in the Catholic Church.

31. Stuz

May 26, 2017 at 12:07 pm

Our Lady of Fatima……Pray for us! #proudlyCatholic

32. Fn

May 26, 2017 at 12:12 pm

Former Catholic. Brief penticostal stint and atheist for more than 10 years, here to let you all know….

Why bother? Carry on. #Same shit.

33. MARIO

May 26, 2017 at 12:45 pm

The message of Fatima is very straightforward and Nigeria just like the rest of the world needs PEACE, my fellow BELLANAIJAS we all need peace so if Mama MARY says pray the Roasry for world Peace , is it too big a deal? let the Catholic Faithfuls do this religiously for us all . we don’t need all of these “is it in the Bible thing’. Peace be with you!
    Our Lady of Fatima …..Pray for us
    #unapologeticallyCATHOLIC

34. Amaju Onifade

May 26, 2017 at 1:23 pm

“Catholics worship statues!” People still make this ridiculous claim. Because Catholics have statues in their churches, goes the accusation, they are violating God’s commandment: “You shall not make for yourself a graven image or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: you shall not bow down to them or serve them” (Ex. 20:4–5); “Alas, this people have sinned a great sin; they have made for themselves gods of gold” (Ex. 32:31).

It is right to warn people against the sin of idolatry when they are committing it. But calling Catholics idolaters because they have images of Christ and the saints is based on misunderstanding or ignorance of what the Bible says about the purpose and uses (both good and bad) of statues.

Anti-Catholic writer Loraine Boettner, in his book Roman Catholicism, makes the blanket statement, “God has forbidden the use of images in worship” (281). Yet if people were to “search the scriptures” (cf. John 5:39), they would find the opposite is true. God forbade the worship of statues, but he did not forbid the religious use of statues. Instead, he actually commanded their use in religious contexts!

God Said To Make Them

People who oppose religious statuary forget about the many passages where the Lord commands the making of statues. For example: “And you shall make two cherubim of gold [i.e., two gold statues of angels]; of hammered work shall you make them, on the two ends of the mercy seat. Make one cherub on the one end, and one cherub on the other end; of one piece of the mercy seat shall you make the cherubim on its two ends. The cherubim shall spread out their wings above, overshadowing the mercy seat with their wings, their faces one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubim be” (Ex. 25:18–20).

David gave Solomon the plan “for the altar of incense made of refined gold, and its weight; also his plan for the golden chariot of the cherubim that spread their wings and covered the ark of the covenant of the Lord. All this he made clear by the writing of the hand of the Lord concerning it all, all the work to be done according to the plan” (1 Chr. 28:18–19). David’s plan for the temple, which the biblical author tells us was “by the writing of the hand of the Lord concerning it all,” included statues of angels.

Similarly Ezekiel 41:17–18 describes graven (carved) images in the idealized temple he was shown in a vision, for he writes, “On the walls round about in the inner room and [on] the nave were carved likenesses of cherubim.”

The Religious Uses of Images

During a plague of serpents sent to punish the Israelites during the exodus, God told Moses to “make [a statue of] a fiery serpent, and set it on a pole; and every one who is bitten, when he sees it shall live. So Moses made a bronze serpent, and set it on a pole; and if a serpent bit any man, he would look at the bronze serpent and live” (Num. 21:8–9).

One had to look at the bronze statue of the serpent to be healed, which shows that statues could be used ritually, not merely as religious decorations.

Catholics use statues, paintings, and other artistic devices to recall the person or thing depicted. Just as it helps to remember one’s mother by looking at her photograph, so it helps to recall the example of the saints by looking at pictures of them. Catholics also use statues as teaching tools. In the early Church they were especially useful for the instruction of the illiterate. Many Protestants have pictures of Jesus and other Bible pictures in Sunday school for teaching children. Catholics also use statues to commemorate certain people and events, much as Protestant churches have three-dimensional nativity scenes at Christmas.

If one measured Protestants by the same rule, then by using these “graven” images, they would be practicing the “idolatry” of which they accuse Catholics. But there’s no idolatry going on in these situations. God forbids the worship of images as gods, but he doesn’t ban the making of images. If he had, religious movies, videos, photographs, paintings, and all similar things would be banned. But, as the case of the bronze serpent shows, God does not even forbid the ritual use of religious images.

It is when people begin to adore a statue as a god that the Lord becomes angry. Thus when people did start to worship the bronze serpent as a snake-god (whom they named “Nehushtan”), the righteous king Hezekiah had it destroyed (2 Kgs. 18:4).

What About Bowing?

Sometimes anti-Catholics cite Deuteronomy 5:9, where God said concerning idols, “You shall not bow down to them.” Since many Catholics sometimes bow or kneel in front of statues of Jesus and the saints, anti-Catholics confuse the legitimate veneration of a sacred image with the sin of idolatry.

Though bowing can be used as a posture in worship, not all bowing is worship. In Japan, people show respect by bowing in greeting (the equivalent of the Western handshake). Similarly, a person can kneel before a king without worshipping him as a god. In the same way, a Catholic who may kneel in front of a statue while praying isn’t worshipping the statue or even praying to it, any more than the Protestant who kneels with a Bible in his hands when praying is worshipping the Bible or praying to it.

Hiding the Second Commandment?

Another charge sometimes made by Protestants is that the Catholic Church “hides” the second commandment. This is because in Catholic catechisms, the first commandment is often listed as “You shall have no other gods before me” (Ex. 20:3), and the second is listed as “You shall not take the name of the Lord in vain.” (Ex. 20:7). From this, it is argued that Catholics have deleted the prohibition of idolatry to justify their use of religious statues. But this is false. Catholics simply group the commandments differently from most Protestants.

In Exodus 20:2–17, which gives the Ten Commandments, there are actually fourteen imperative statements. To arrive at Ten Commandments, some statements have to be grouped together, and there is more than one way of doing this. Since, in the ancient world, polytheism and idolatry were always united—idolatry being the outward expression of polytheism—the historic Jewish numbering of the Ten Commandments has always grouped together the imperatives “You shall have no other gods before me” (Ex. 20:3) and “You shall not make for yourself a graven image” (Ex. 20:4). The historic Catholic numbering follows the Jewish numbering on this point, as does the historic Lutheran numbering. Martin Luther recognized that the imperatives against polytheism and idolatry are two parts of a single command.

Jews and Christians abbreviate the commandments so that they can be remembered using a summary, ten-point formula. For example, Jews, Catholics, and Protestants typically summarize the Sabbath commandment as, “Remember the Sabbath to keep it holy,” though the commandment’s actual text takes four verses (Ex. 20:8–11).

When the prohibition of polytheism/idolatry is summarized, Jews, Catholics, and Lutherans abbreviate it as “You shall have no other gods before me.” This is no attempt to “hide” the idolatry prohibition (Jews and Lutherans don’t even use statues of saints and angels). It is to make learning the Ten Commandments easier.

The Catholic Church is not dogmatic about how the Ten Commandments are to be numbered, however. The Catechism of the Catholic Church says, “The division and numbering of the Commandments have varied in the course of history. The present catechism follows the division of the Commandments established by Augustine, which has become traditional in the Catholic Church. It is also that of the Lutheran confession. The Greek Fathers worked out a slightly different division, which is found in the Orthodox Churches and Reformed communities” (CCC 2066).

The Form of God?

Some anti-Catholics appeal to Deuteronomy 4:15–18 in their attack on religious statues: “[S]ince you saw no form on the day that the Lord spoke to you at Horeb out of the midst of the fire, beware lest you act corruptly by making a graven image for yourselves, in the form of any figure, the likeness of male or female, the likeness of any beast that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged bird that flies in the air, the likeness of anything that creeps on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the water under the earth.”

We’ve already shown that God doesn’t prohibit the making of statues or images of various creatures for religious purposes (cf. 1 Kgs. 6:29–32, 8:6–66; 2 Chr. 3:7–14). But what about statues or images that represent God? Many Protestants would say that’s wrong because Deuteronomy 4 says the Israelites did not see God under any form when he made the covenant with them, therefore we should not make symbolic representations of God either. But does Deuteronomy 4 forbid such representations?

The Answer Is No

Early in its history, Israel was forbidden to make any depictions of God because he had not revealed himself in a visible form. Given the pagan culture surrounding them, the Israelites might have been tempted to worship God in the form of an animal or some natural object (e.g., a bull or the sun).

But later God did reveal himself under visible forms, such as in Daniel 7:9: “As I looked, thrones were placed and one that was Ancient of Days took his seat; his raiment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like pure wool; his throne was fiery flames, its wheels were burning fire.” Protestants make depictions of the Father under this form when they do illustrations of Old Testament prophecies.

The Holy Spirit revealed himself under at least two visible forms—that of a dove, at the baptism of Jesus (Matt. 3:16; Mark 1:10; Luke 3:22; John 1:32), and as tongues of fire, on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:1–4). Protestants use these images when drawing or painting these biblical episodes and when they wear Holy Spirit lapel pins or place dove emblems on their cars.

But, more important, in the Incarnation of Christ his Son, God showed mankind an icon of himself. Paul said, “He is the image (Greek: ikon) of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.” Christ is the tangible, divine “icon” of the unseen, infinite God.

We read that when the magi were “going into the house they saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshipped him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts, gold, frankincense, and myrrh” (Matt. 2:11). Though God did not reveal a form for himself on Mount Horeb, he did reveal one in the house in Bethlehem.

The bottom line is, when God made the New Covenant with us, he did reveal himself under a visible form in Jesus Christ. For that reason, we can make representations of God in Christ. Even Protestants use all sorts of religious images: Pictures of Jesus and other biblical persons appear on a myriad of Bibles, picture books, T-shirts, jewelry, bumper stickers, greeting cards, compact discs, and manger scenes. Christ is even symbolically represented through the Icthus or “fish emblem.”

Common sense tells us that, since God has revealed himself in various images, most especially in the incarnate Jesus Christ, it’s not wrong for us to use images of these forms to deepen our knowledge and love of God. That’s why God revealed himself in these visible forms, and that’s why statues and pictures are made of them.

Idolatry Condemned by the Church

Since the days of the apostles, the Catholic Church has consistently condemned the sin of idolatry. The early Church Fathers warn against this sin, and Church councils also dealt with the issue.

The Second Council of Nicaea (787), which dealt largely with the question of the religious use of images and icons, said, “[T]he one who redeemed us from the darkness of idolatrous insanity, Christ our God, when he took for his bride his holy Catholic Church . . . promised he would guard her and assured his holy disciples saying, ‘I am with you every day until the consummation of this age.’ . . . To this gracious offer some people paid no attention; being hoodwinked by the treacherous foe they abandoned the true line of reasoning . . . and they failed to distinguish the holy from the profane, asserting that the icons of our Lord and of his saints were no different from the wooden images of satanic idols.”

The Catechism of the Council of Trent (1566) taught that idolatry is committed “by worshipping idols and images as God, or believing that they possess any divinity or virtue entitling them to our worship, by praying to, or reposing confidence in them” (374).

“Idolatry is a perversion of man’s innate religious sense. An idolater is someone who ‘transfers his indestructible notion of God to anything other than God’” (CCC 2114).

The Church absolutely recognizes and condemns the sin of idolatry. What anti-Catholics fail to recognize is the distinction between thinking a piece of stone or plaster is a god and desiring to visually remember Christ and the saints in heaven by making statues in their honor. The making and use of religious statues is a thoroughly biblical practice. Anyone who says otherwise doesn’t know his Bible.

NIHIL OBSTAT: I have concluded that the materials
    presented in this work are free of doctrinal or moral errors.
    Bernadeane Carr, STL, Censor Librorum, August 10, 2004

IMPRIMATUR: In accord with 1983 CIC 827
    permission to publish this work is hereby granted.
    +Robert H. Brom, Bishop of San Diego, August 10, 2004

35. Last try

May 26, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Not only do those in heaven pray with us, they also pray for us.

Finally, We DO NOT BOW before Mary’s image. I know some catholics do this nut it’s wrong

Peace be with u.

• Cocoa

May 27, 2017 at 6:19 pm

John 3:13
      Thessalonians 4:15
      Thessalonians 4:17

From these scriptures…I do not believe that the righteous have gone up to Heaven yet. According to these scriptures this will not occur until the second coming of Christ.

And the Saints ( according to the Bible) are ALL the children of God.

THANK YOU for Biblical references! It’s all about the Word for me.

36. Beatrice Olumhense

May 26, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Reading all the comments here was very interesting and it highlighted several things. As humans living the highest versions of ourselves we all must be careful what we say, to whom we say it and how it is perceived. I will share a few of my thoughts below:

1. Mary had one of the highest honors any woman dead or alive ever had being born free from sin and being selected as the vessel to deliver our Lord Jesus. Religion aside common sense should tell us all that we should always be grateful to her for many of us may never had had the grace an unselfish devotion to God to give up the chance of ruining our marriages to deliver a saviour because our individual and collective faith could possibly not have amounted to anything close to what she had when she said “I am the Lord’s Servant, be it done to me according to thy words”

2. My bible tells me in John 2: 3-5 Jesus performed his first miracle at the request of his mother “even though his hour had not come” This tells me sensibly that she has a strong influence on Jesus and God our father for letting him take that step outside schedule. And Catholics believe in her intercessions to her son not to God.

3. Mary knew her role and her place and one of the most profound things and virtues that continues to strike me till date, which for me is almost like a superpower if women can truly seek to master this is that through all that happened the bible says undoubtedly “All these things she pondered in her heart”

Loose tongues, Judgement are such significant virtue of many “Christians” and though Catholics believe in things that you do not, do not be so quick to cast the first stone. Many of us have idols in our daily lives from the love money to our pastors whose faces cover million Naira worth of outdoor real estate in the country. Imagine if all those were face of Jesus too or someone who God sent Archangel Gabriel to with a confirmation that said “Blessed are you amongst women”

PS: I’m a proud Christian, Catholic and an ardent seeker of Mary’s superpower

37. Cocoa

May 26, 2017 at 1:51 pm

I am grateful for the comments left…I am especially thankful for the light shed on the Rosary prayers being the Lord’s Prayer…I am GLAD to hear that.
    I have received numerous revelations from this. I can humbly say I am NOW educated on Catholicism.
    My conclusion is…Catholics believe in Jesus as the Son of God….they believe the Bible is the Word of God…they understand the Trinity that is God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Praise God!!

I also now understand why the Holy Spirit in me REJECTED this.

Mary (blessed and virtuous she certainly is) but she is NOT GOD….NOT JESUS…NOT THE INTERCESSOR (as Jesus is interceeding for me, the Bible says so) . She is no different from other virtuous, righteous, faithful servants of God. SHE WAS HUMAN like you and I. She was chosen by God for a purpose like others were in the Bible and are this very day. God uses who He pleases to carry out His plan….NO GLORY WILL BE GIVEN TO THESE PEOPLE!!!
    ALL MY GLORY GOES TO GOD!!!! THE CREATOR, THE MAKER….MY EVERYTHING!!!

I will NEVER bow before a STATUE and ask for revelations to be given to me by it.

NO ONE was able to point out a Bible verse that CLEARLY says MARY IS THE INTERCESSOR between you and God. Yet the BIBle CLEARLY States who my intercessor is in Roman 8:26-27, Romans 8:34.

THE ISSUE IS NOT MARY…..THE ISSUE IS THAT YOU HAVE MADE HER YOUR IDOL!!!

• truth hurts

May 26, 2017 at 4:23 pm

You have chosen to block your ears to reason,
      Over 5 catholics have taken their time to explain to you that we agree with the book of romans. Jesus christ is the only mediator to God the father. But the same bible tells us in the book of James and revelation, that the prayers of righteous people are effective When they join us in praying to God.

The bible also clearly shows that the virgin Mary could ask for favors from Jesus as clearly shown in the wedding at Cana. He also cared for his mom and committed the only apostle present at his death into her care.

Its not by force to ask Mary to pray for you but be sure of this …..Mary leads you to Jesus…and makes you love him more.she never leads her children astray.

Lastly, take care not to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit esp in things you are not sure of……….instead pray to the Holyspirit with a clear mind to grant yothe gift of understanding .
      God bless you dear.

• Patrick

May 26, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Very accurate and articulate answer. The only reference to our belief are the scriptures, religion keep making things up and mankind keeps falling for lies because of their laziness to study the scriptures.
      2 Thessalonians 2 verse 10-11

• Neez

May 27, 2017 at 7:02 pm

You are so self righteous. I don’t even care about your argument because I actually admit that there are things about religion beyond my understand. My Ego does not fool me into thinking I know all. That’s how Jim Jones started. Be careful you don’t lose your way while scrutinizing the practices of other Christians. One would think that with the amount of Gate we Christians face worldwide, We would learn to focus on the important stuff. Need I remind us of the condition Jesus have to make heaven? Love God and love your Neighbor. Every thing else will fall into place.

38. Patrick

May 26, 2017 at 2:36 pm

@ shut up Patrick, you went through all that…. I used to be delusional just as the world religions have made most if not all mankind. We all will answer on the last day, Ignorance is no excuse.

39. Maryann

May 26, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Hail Mary full of grace, The Lord is with you, blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus, Holy Mary Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. O my Jesus, please forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all our souls to heaven especially those most in need of your mercy. Amen.

40. Tee

May 26, 2017 at 4:18 pm

Matthew 2:11
    And going into the house they saw the child with Mary his mother, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh.

Luke 11:27-28
    As he said these things, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts at which you nursed!” But he said, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!”

Mary is the direct intercessor with Christ who receives from Christ all graces and dispenses them to us,

Matthew 1:20
    But as he considered these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.

41. U G

May 26, 2017 at 6:40 pm

God is not the God of the dead but the God of the living, as Christ told the Pharisees in the scriptures that even Abraham, Isaac and Jacob who were faithful servants of God are still alive in God and not dead. More so, Mary who cooperated actively in the salvation of man is still alive in God and so we beseech Her to make intercessions on our behalf.

God spoke the world into form and when creating man did not seek his counsel or consent but when He wanted to redeem man, at the fullness of time, He sent His angel Gabriel to go to Mary and seek Her consent so that the will of God may be accomplished in Her. Such honour God gave to His created being. She bore God(Christ) in her womb, making her literally a living tabanacle of the most High, a vessel of honour. And the son of man was given to the world through no other means but through Her.

We(Catholics) are only giving honour to whom it is due. It did not start with the current generation of Catholics, it started with the very foundations of the Christian church, we are only practicing what has been handed down through the apostles down to us.

If you have anything to contend, go and contend with God who made Mary her mother, who through the words of his angel Gabriel formed the greetings to this noble Lady, contend with the apostles and the early Christian who honoured her, contend with the Holy Spirit who through ages has brought fort holy men who so much loved Her and instilled this love to the faithful.

She is the daughter of God the Father, the mother of God the Son and the chaste spouse of the Holy Spirit, what greater honour can we hope to give Her since the most High has endowed Her with so much.

To love God is to love what God loves, God loves Mary and has honored Her, we(Catholics) are only doing what God has ordained.

Hail Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.
    Holy Mary mother of God, pray for us sinners now at the hour of our death. Amen

• Cocoa

May 27, 2017 at 6:24 pm

I love Mary too! How can I be a child of God and not love Mary? I am not contending with the love of Mary. Mary is not the issue like i said…..its the idolatry worship of Mary i do not agree with. Even some non-Catholics equally have that same idolatry worship for their PASTORS!! I am aware of it. I AGREE WITH NEITHER!!

42. Cocoa

May 27, 2017 at 1:00 pm

@TRUTH HURTS

I like you…your PATIENCE does not go unnoticed and may God bless you for that.

I understand what you are saying. You pray to Mary for intercession like any other brother or sister in Christ can pray intercessory prayers for you.

Forgive me , I initially misconstrued that pivotal point.

I guess the only way I would be able to accept this is if I thought Mary was alive.

I have decided to just be content in my position as a child of God to ask my Father for what I want through Jesus and according to His Will it is granted.

Although we do not agree on this issue…it is my most SINCERE prayer and I know it is yours too….that WE as children of God live a life that is pleasing to our God. I dont care about being right or wrong..,..all I want is in the end to hear these words ” Weldone my good and faithful servant”

And may that be so for us all, AMEN!!! –