BN TV

“We need to talk about it more…” Here’s What Nigerians think about Suicide | Watch

BN TV

The growing rate of suicide in Nigeria is turning out to be a thing of concern as people walk around depressed, worried and hopeless with no self worth resulting to them taking their own lives via available method known to them.

Battabox sent a presenter out to the Igbo community in Lagos to get people of this tribe to discuss why people commit suicide, how to identify potential people with the tendency to commit suicide and ways to rescue suicide attempt.

Here are some of the Comments:

“People commit suicide because they are depressed”.

“People are starving … why won’t they commit suicide”.

“The government should solve the economic factors that affect the people”.

“We need to talk about it more, so that people would know that depression is a mental illness”.

“Some people like to keep to themselves”.

Watch below.

1. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

August 25, 2017 at 7:08 pm

NIGERIANS ARE SCARED OF SPEAKING OUT ABOUT SUICIDE.
    I HAVE BEEN SUICIDAL MOST PART OF MY LIFE, WISHED I COULD END IT ALL.. NEVER FELT GOOD ENOUGH……
    SUICIDAL THOUGHT IS LIKE A VIRUS IT EATS U UP…IM WORKING ON IT, GETTING FREE BY THE DAY.
    I NOTICED THE MORE I SPEAK ABOUT IT, I BECOME FREE

• Corolla

August 25, 2017 at 7:22 pm

Keep talking about it. All the best.

• Poesy

August 25, 2017 at 9:05 pm

I acknowledge your hurt and I hope it gets better

2. Gee Money

August 25, 2017 at 8:28 pm

People commit suicide because they are tired of the economic and government don’t care about people’s life. We don’t bother about government stealing money but selfishness n greediness should stop. Provide us good road, eletricity and better health care, we good.

3. zzzzzzzzzzz

August 25, 2017 at 8:54 pm

Keep speaking and may God see you through. Suicide has always been there, it just became rampant as a result of the recession and the difficult times many have been forced to find themselves

4. Tracy Edward

August 25, 2017 at 10:45 pm

Let us not look to the goverment at all time. Let us get closer to God. When you think of youself too much you get discourage and then come thought of suicide. Don´t depend on goverment, Look to Jesus. One thing I must say is that as we make the country save, people will come to invest in the country and through that JOB will be created. Belive in God and He will direct you. Taking your life is not the way out, because you don´t even know where you will go…….Heaven or Hell. Your life matter because you are wounderfuly created. God bless Nigerians in Jesus Namen Amen.

5. gbaskelebo

August 26, 2017 at 12:41 am

Back in my university days certain campus fraternity had this saying as part of their ideology “all die na die!” which implies it does not matter the form death takes it simply happen. My view, so long as you did not give yourself life and you did not bring yourself to the world you have no right to take the life that has been given to you, Yes it is way beyond “very rough” presently and people are practically scavenging to survive agreed! Just note that the traffic light does not stay red for ever at some point it must turn green!

6. Anonymous

August 26, 2017 at 7:06 am

I have been depressed and suicidal for about 3 years. I was about to drink sniper, when my daughter woke and was looking for her mother. I held her and cried all through the night, since then whenever the thought comes and just hold on to her. My depression started when close friends and church members began to me bring down with negative comments right in my face because my husband left for America when my daughter was 4 months old and she’ going to be five, our immigrant visa application was pending because of finances and debts, I had to move back with my child to stay with my family, etc. The church I thought would comfort me made my life worse every Sunday with negative comments, after service I go back home more depressed. I left the church about a year ago and they could careless why I stopped coming, what is going on with my daughter and I or probably died. Words are powerful and can’t be picked up when released, we don’t know who is hurting and our side comments and remarks might just kill someone.

7. Spunky

August 26, 2017 at 7:48 am

There are times you just feel like giving up and letting go. It feels worse when one is a recluse or hermit. At such times, one lacks the will to redirect their sense of thought. All one thinks about is the quickest way out and is imbibed with suicidal thoughts. Sharing ones problem with a trusted ally goes a long way…pray!!!I listened to Kesha’s new single ” prayer” and its lyrics, so deep yet inspiring. We can all help by showing concern to one another. Stay alive!

8. if oils segragate and extinguish each other why not the ethnicities.

August 26, 2017 at 8:43 am

With Nigeria out of control ethnic mosh-pit. suicide is the bottom of the totem pole of psych disfunctionality that u may expect. This has to be greatly the case for Yorubanis..infact standard!