Features

A Quick Reminder to be Extra Careful these ‘Ember’ Months

BellaNaija.com

For as long as one can remember, ember-months have always been more dangerous than any other time of the year.

No one can confidently confirm why this is so, but there are usually more cases of missing people and deaths in the last few months of the year than any other time in the country.

This is just another reminder to be extra careful, and take extra precautions when commuting.

Facebook user Annabel shared on her page how she ordered an Uber taxi to take her from the mall to her home.

She got into a vehicle without confirming if it was the Uber she ordered, and the vehicle turned out to be armed robbers.

Read her story below:

Sorry to bother you friends!! But I had to use a friend’s phone to share this!!! Yesterday I and my friend went to the shoprite to get somethings, when we finished, we came out and ordered for uber’ ( it showed 10mins to arrive) so we waited for the uber arrival”’ finally a taxi(Acura MDX)stopped in front of us ‘ then I asked if he was the uber we ordered? Yes I am ma’ he said! Then we both entered and i asked him to start the trip: he then said ok and drive off, he drove for sometime then slowed down’ when we asked y the slow down, this car is having issues ma; let me check :: he said( pls my money is reading o I told him) sorry ma we not on surg, he replied,I then said ok o,As he stopped, another guy quickly entered the car then the driver doomed off immediately– sharply i even tried to open the door and run ; but all to no avail then i realised we were in big troubled ::: my friend started shouting and crying- then one of guys came to the back seat held her neck so hard that she couldn’t even scream: then they asked me to give them my phones ( I left my phones at home I told them) the other guy used his gun to hit my eye( he brought out a small knife, pepperspray, and small axe).

He asked for the second time ‘ where is your phone? I see 2 phones for your hand , where them dey?then I had no choice than to give him my phones when i saw blood dropping , he started beating us and asked his friend to give him that handkerchief ( but the guy driving said his spirit doesn’t want him to harm us) but he should collect everything from us: so they collected the things we bought @ the shoprite, they took my friend’s phones and mine too, her waist watch, my neckchain, our handbags, asked for our atm cards and tnk God none of us came out with it,they searched us and collected the cash we had on us’ they even collected my friend’s ear rings?— then dumped us on a lonely part: A good samarithan gave us 1500 to transport bk home we told him what happened– I just had to share this so we can be very careful this period:::the mistake we made was : not calling the uber number to confirm if trully he was the person: I just want all of you thank God for me o. What if we were killed ? Just few weeks to my service and this happened? 2 months to the end of 2017? Wetin our mama for do? Please guys, let’s be careful bill!!! thank you and God bless u- ( for now I’d be offline).

A Quick Reminder to be Extra Careful these Ember Months - BellaNaija

Photo Credit: Annabel Fred

1. nene

November 1, 2017 at 11:38 am

Terrible!

2. Somborri

November 1, 2017 at 12:17 pm

Honestly you ladies are both lucky/blessed to be alive. These criminals don’t value human lives. See how they wasted Hector Jobartehs life and even shot his elderly father too.
    I thank God for you.

We can’t be too safety conscious peeps!

3. Uzy

November 1, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Thank God you are safe and good you learnt from the experience. But in future, never ask, are you the uber guy? ask for their names. and check ..also check that the registration number on the car you requested for is the same with the car that has come to pick you…if you have time, call the drivers number again to make sure he is the right person, or better still quickly check true caller. Please never argue with them, you can’t say you left your phone at home, when they know you used your phone to book. Stay safe!

4. bubu

November 1, 2017 at 3:36 pm

i still keep wondering. when sallah approaches crime does not increase but, when Christmas approaches crime skyrockets. we so called Christians especially we igbos need to check ourselves. Killing and hurting people bcos you want to celebrate the birth of Jesus can not be Christianity. maybe Jehovah witnesses got it right after all.

• The Real Oma

November 1, 2017 at 5:13 pm

What a totally idiotic comment….Christmas day so happens to be 6 days before the end of the year, and that is the reason for most of the hype around it. Everyone is in festive period at that time, both Christians and Muslims, So you cannot blame one religion for the increase in crime. And you went ahead to point fingers at a specific tribe! Pray tell, are the Igbos the only ones who celebrate Christmas? Very likely the OP had this experience in Lagos, what are the chances of the guys being Igbo, 1/3? 1/4?
      Again, totally idiotic comment.

5. tunmi

November 1, 2017 at 7:27 pm

Poor thing, I hope they’re okay.

6. chi

November 2, 2017 at 3:32 pm

So sorry. i wish u quick recovery. thank God for sparing ur life.