BN TV

Ex Ivorian Football star Emmanuel Eboue tells story of bitter Divorce & how he sometimes sleeps on Friend’s Floor

BellaNaija.com

From the Big Stage to squatting with a friend: Ex-Football star Emmanuel Eboue paints a sad story

Emmanuel Eboue

In 2006, Ivorian football star Emmanuel Eboue took to the pitch to play alongside the biggest names in world football at the time on European club football’s biggest stage -the UEFA Champions League Final. The match was between his then club Arsenal and Barcelona.

11 years after and his career is close to non-existent, he is divorced from his wife Aurelie with full custody of their three kids and all his assets given to her. He, at one time was sleeping on the mattress in his friend’s house; he now hides from bailiffs and wash clothes with his hands.

“Every day I wash my jeans, my clothes, everything. My hands are hard. As though I have been working on a farm.

I thank my grandmother because she taught me to wash, cook, clean, everything as a young man.

I continue to thank God. I have my life. I didn’t want what has happened. I don’t wish it on anybody,” he says.

Granting an exclusive interview to Daily Mirror, the former Galatasaray player tells his tale of grace-to-grass which has left him contemplating suicide on a few occasions. Being one with limited education, he left his financial affairs to his wife and is now paying the price.

He last signed for Sunderland Football Club of England although he did not play a single game. He was banned for 12 months from all football-related affairs for failing to pay a former agent and subsequently released form his Sunderland contract.

He lost a divorce battle with Aurelie and the court has ordered all his assets be transferred to her. He however has refused to let go of his Enfield home, he tells Daily Mirror:

I can’t afford the money to continue to have any lawyer or barrister. I am in the house but I am scared. Because I don’t know what time the police will come. Sometimes I shut off the lights because I don’t want people to know that I am inside. I put everything behind the door. My own house. I suffered to buy my house but I am now scared.I am not going to sell my clothes or sell what I have. I will fight until the end because it is not fair.

Watching former teammates on TV doing well for themselves triggers mixed feelings for him, he says.

He said: “When I see Thierry Henry I feel happy for him but ashamed of my own situation. When I see friends on TV that I played with or against I say to myself ‘I should still be there’. It’s hard to watch them.”

Eboue is still hoping to go back to the playing field, but is ready to accept help from anywhere.

“I would accept help from anywhere but if my previous club wants to help me then I would be very, very happy. Maybe I could help the young players?

The PFA helped me when I had my problems with my agent. If they gave me a job, even if it wasn’t a big, big job.

Maybe I’d see some of the people I played with or against and I’d feel embarrassed. But I would cope,” he said.

He wants young footballers to learn from his story. He said:

I look back and say ­‘Emmanuel, you have been naive… why didn’t you think about that before?’ It is hard.

Very, very hard. The money I earned, I sent it to my wife for our children.

In Turkey I earned eight million euros. I sent seven million back home. Whatever she tells me to sign, I sign.

She is my wife. The problems with FIFA were because of people advising me. People who are supposed to care. But it was because of them FIFA banned me.

Watch the video below:

1. Mahka

December 24, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Wow…I remember this guy o. One of the solid Ivorian players; alongside the Toure brothers, Drogba etc…What happened, Wats the full story, how did it get this bad…

• Tanonymous3

December 24, 2017 at 4:27 pm

This attitude of masrying oyibo women is common among formerly poverty stricken black guys who become rich and famous. Its like a fantasy they had when they were kids to show off to their fellow blacks. A man from pedigree in africa hardly does thjs but i find this common among very oppressed african countries like the francophone, apartheid south africa and akata communities. We Nigerians need to thank God for our innate confidence in where we come from where the likes of Kanu, okocha, Dangote come home for wives despite their wealth. It is really a sad mental case most black men have that they think anything other than their own women is better. These other women have no respect for you at all.

• LemmeRant

December 24, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Look at them…

Shallow minded beings. As if you’re not worse.

2. Yalla

December 24, 2017 at 1:35 pm

Marry oyibo they said, it will be fun they said…

• Weezy

December 24, 2017 at 3:58 pm

Ahahaha! Touche.

• Tanonymous3

December 24, 2017 at 4:28 pm

Marry oyino at your peril

• CrazyWorld

December 24, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Black women do worse. Just so you know.

• Ooooooops

December 24, 2017 at 6:10 pm

We want fine children. With black women, it’s a risk. With white women, it’s a guarantee.

3. Ijebujesha

December 24, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Marriage in itself is a very hard thing- let no one fool you with their IG or facebook ‘make-belief’ posts. How people have the nerve to marry TOTALLY out of their cultures is what baffles me. Even within your own culture, it is riskier marrying someone more sophisticated. Much less, marrying an oyinbo woman who is much more educated than you. What an avoidable mistake! May God Almighty restore your losses.

• Ec

December 24, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Ijebu whatever what ignorant statements

4. Linda

December 24, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Apparently hes not educated and most of his down fall 70% came from bad advice from wife and 30% from friends. His wife wiped him out clean. Took everything all the many, houses, kids all savings and the family dog?

Dude no one told you to marry a white woman . They are devils. .im sure there are beautiful ivorian women you could hav chosen. Black men make it rich they go for white women

• Tanonymous3

December 24, 2017 at 4:30 pm

The oyibo is not even the pretty type either. The dude is a fool. Glad she took him to the cleaners

• Hedx

December 26, 2017 at 11:13 pm

A bad woman is a bad woman. Race, tribe or religion doesn’t define/guarantee anything

5. Linda

December 24, 2017 at 1:52 pm

And i bet you his wife wife will chop all his money the court has given to ger with another black dude. They are sluts like that once theyve tasted a black cassava aint no going back . Some black scrub dude will hunt her down to chop the money

6. Happy

December 24, 2017 at 2:00 pm

Ebuoe is an uneducated money.miss road..He should tell us his investments.in Africa……..he is what we call.universal mugu . Most African makes same mistake

7. CrazyWorld

December 24, 2017 at 2:03 pm

Pre-nup should be part of marriage this days that people are hardly marrying for love. If she’s rich, sign a pre-nup. If he is rich, sign a pre-nup. That will make everyone struggle well in marriage for themselves instead of letting one person take a role.

All I know is that sango and amadioha is real just she knows. It’s not my own business if you believe it or not.

8. Ruqqy

December 24, 2017 at 2:28 pm

Hmm this guy’s story is just sad, but as usual when a black guy gets rich, he settles with a white woman. Who said white women do not have love for money? They do brothers. Nonetheless, bad nuts are found everywhere irrespective of race.
    Please my little advice to my black brothers, Don’t channel this piece to the issue of women but learn to invest well , always have a back up plan cos u never know.

As the saying goes ” we cannot live long enough to make all the mistakes in life, but what we can do is to learn from the mistakes of others”.

Education is key irrespective of the wealth u have amassed.
    God protect us all. Ameen

9. John

December 24, 2017 at 2:43 pm

I believe you…if ebuo wants i can make it happen

• John

December 24, 2017 at 3:02 pm

@crazyworld and Bn post my other comment

10. John

December 24, 2017 at 2:59 pm

As usual , look at all the black women saying when a black guy gets rich, he settles with a white woman. ..as if they are will do will do any different. Go to texas(infact USA) and see how notorious and wicked Nigerian women have become. GO and see how depressed nigerian men are killing thier nigerian wives they brought over because of this very issue that happened to ebuo …infact any man living abroad that is bringing over a nigerian woman over to marry is the biggest fool on earth. What happen to ebuo is just basic stupidity and illitracy. How can you make 8 million and send 7m to your wife because you love and trust your wife. It is only a fool that does that..I feel like slapping him when I read that part. Some men do not listen even in Nigerian, I have seen this kind of thing happen to some stupid beta men and you begin to wonder….Sometimes, I wonder why rich people marry expecially those living in countries like UK…this is why I love and respect christiano ronaldo…just pay them off and collect the child …it is damn cheaper and drama free.

11. John

December 24, 2017 at 3:05 pm

@crazyworld and Bn post my other comment

12. John

December 24, 2017 at 3:06 pm

As usual , look at all the black women saying when a black guy gets rich, he settles with a white woman. ..as if they are will do will do any different. Go to texas(infact USA) and see how notorious and wicked Nigerian women have become. GO and see how depressed nigerian men are killing thier nigerian wives they brought over because of this very issue that happened to ebuo …infact any man living abroad that is bringing over a nigerian woman over to marry is the biggest foool on earth. What happen to ebuo is just basic stupidity and illitracy. How can you make 8 million and send 7m to your wife because you love and trust your wife. It is only a fool that does that..I feel like slapping him when I read that part. Some men do not listen even in Nigerian, I have seen this kind of thing happen to some stpid beta men and you begin to wonder….Sometimes, I wonder why rich people marry expecially those living in countries like UK…this is why I love and respect christiano ronaldo…just pay them off and collect the child …it is damn cheaper and drama free.

13. Ec

December 24, 2017 at 3:13 pm

This is unfortunate. There are bad apples everywhere. But this is common with black men, once you make money the white woman accompanies the riches.

14. Peggy

December 24, 2017 at 3:23 pm

If he had married a black woman, he would have entrusted his investments to his brothers and family members. When it’s a white woman she controls his money. Most of the white women they marry never travel to their African countries where these men come from. The day some of the men retire and want to move back home, the women divorce them and clean them out.

15. Lilo

December 24, 2017 at 3:53 pm

BN what did I do to you o? Even when I wish someone happy birthday… you delete my comments. You think you have a blog without viewership? Wth?

16. Anonymous

December 24, 2017 at 4:52 pm

There are bad apples in every race, so, stereotyping all white women is uncalled for. Many black women including Nigerians marry for money. The only difference is that black women especially Nigerians will kill and take your property rather than using the court system like the white women.

No woman is to be trusted blindly. Adam trusted Eve blindly and that led to his downfall. No woman is different from the first of their kind. Men, use your brain, I love you, I love you from a woman is becuse you are still providing certain benefits.

17. Asake

December 24, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Seeing this made me sad. When I graduated from University years ago, one of the things I wanted to go into was managing stars’ finances especially footballers after reading stories of how broke they but I never perused that dream

• Author Unknown

December 24, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Financial Advisors have been know to ruin professional athletes. I am by no means suggesting that you would have done the same. The solution to this issue is for professional sports clubs to run financial literacy classes for their members. At the end of the day though, the clubs can’t interfere in matrimonial affairs or make ultimate financial decisions. Asake, maybe you can pursue your dream by starting a not-for-profit that educates prospective pro-athletes on financial literacy. Start from schools, summer camps, and junior clubs. If you get them early like that, it is more effective. From there, you could hopefully grow to educating at the professional level, since you would have gained some good reputation with some of these individuals. Just a thought. Good luck!

• Uju

December 25, 2017 at 1:59 am

Asake?Do you think it’s too late to venture into this. Don’t give up. Do it.

80% of all African American ball players in USA get broke before age 40yrs. Basketball, football, etc. I think baseball players do better cos obviously most are Caucasians and they are better with their finances

18. tunmi

December 24, 2017 at 6:44 pm

This is so sad. Can he play again though?

19. Author Unknown

December 24, 2017 at 7:58 pm

How sad. Unlike most here, I will not blame him for his decisions. As the article reads, he is one of limited education, and was simply doing the human thing in trusting his wife. Unfortunately, in our world today, the victim often takes the blame. Karma is real, and I’d love to read a follow-up story on his wife in a couple of years. Having said that, there’s more to this story than “everything she told me to sign, I signed”. What are these documents that she told him to sign? If he did not understand what he was signing, and the wife knew this, shouldn’t it still constitute fraud on her part if she knew that it was going to impact him negatively? The funds for whatever purchases could still be traced to Eboue as its source, so why couldn’t his lawyers save any of his assets? If he is saying that EVERYTHING got transferred to his wife by the court, does that not imply that the assets were not in her name after all? I honestly don’t understand what went down here.

20. LemmeRant

December 24, 2017 at 8:19 pm

And this is what those feminist want to bring to Nigeria.
    I laugh in german.

• CrazyWorld

December 24, 2017 at 10:08 pm

I swear. They want power in Europe and power in Africa too but you aren’t getting it. That’s how Whoopi Goldberg was saying they should teach women too not to hit men but the women were having none of it, they want to hit men and get away with it but when a man hit them, he should go to jail.

See a comment up there that supports the woman’s action indirectly and it has the highest amount of likes. Women do not want to be equal, they want to be superior and that will not happen. I sha know if you try this with me and I can’t kill you spiritually, then physically ill do it and do the time. After all there’s no capital punishment in this same areas and my money will be my money when I’m out.

21. GYOnlineNG.COM

December 24, 2017 at 8:32 pm

So sad that Eboue forgot that Marriage means Gambling talkless of marrying white lady, lack of education and mis-placed priorities..

22. Ladybird

December 24, 2017 at 8:48 pm

This story was upsetting to read. Arsenal is my favorite team and I remember Emmanuel Eboue in the team very well. I do not understand how his ex got everything he worked hard for from playing football… i mean everything????!!!!!! she did not even contribute to!!!????. Assuming he did something wrong to jeopardize their marriage/relationship shouldn’t he at least get 1/4 of his assets or something and not lose every single thing he owns?? The court should have been practical and realistic..How is the person supposed to live and function like a normal human being when he has lost everything? when His wife and the court must be really wicked and heartless… Something is amiss here in the story for him to lose everything.

• Uju

December 25, 2017 at 2:01 am

When kids are involved with good lawyers, she can get EVERYTHING

23. kkay

December 24, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Awfully sad. I pray God restores you.
    I hope Michel Obi gets to read this story and that he has his acts together.

• Jay

December 25, 2017 at 1:13 am

You guys should stop bringing Mikel Obi into this; total foolishness. 1st of all, Mikel Obi isn’t uneducated, also his wife unlike Eboue’s ex wife didn’t marry Mikel for money. Her Dad (Mikel’s wife) died last year and was one of the richest men in Russia. It was even cause of her (her Dad and Chelsea’s owner were friends) and Emenalo that Mikel stayed that long in Chelsea; else he’ll have been sold 3-4 years ago. Her father’s money and Obi’s money aren’t mates so wrong and stupid example.

• Chuddy

January 4, 2018 at 2:52 pm

Mikel isnt married

24. Kelv

December 24, 2017 at 8:54 pm

So many things must have went down or gone wrong for EVERYTHING to be given to her by the court which he isn’t telling.

• tunmi

December 25, 2017 at 3:54 pm

I really want to know what happened. Let this not turn into the white who was bullied and we later found out he was calling black kids the n word and his mother was some white supremacist.

How did she get everything?

25. Barileeve

December 26, 2017 at 7:44 pm

What was her reason for the divorce?

26. The boy

December 27, 2017 at 12:49 am

I wish you well eboue
    May God take you back to the top

27. Aaron

December 27, 2017 at 1:20 am

It’s so sad that everyone is put blame on Him, the deal has been done let there be way out for him. Let there be help from his formal prayers and top stars who chose to help period.

28. wifematerial

December 27, 2017 at 1:50 am

she got through a white judge who despise black people……………………………so sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nways he got help already hope he will learn from his stupidity.

29. wifematerial

December 27, 2017 at 1:51 am

she got everything through a white judge who despise black people……………………………so sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nways he got help already hope he will learn from his stupidity.

30. eric

January 12, 2018 at 3:56 pm

Eboue take things easy, God still have a purpose for you,just trust in him and it will be well with u again