News

The Nigerian Youth wants to “sit and do nothing, and get housing, healthcare, education free” – Buhari

BellaNaija.com

Nigerian Youth want to "sit and do nothing, and get housing, healthcare, education free" - Buhari | BellaNaija

President Muhammadu Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari, while speaking at the Commonwealth Business Forum, has said the Nigerian youth wants to sit and do nothing, The Cable reports.

The forum is part of the ongoing Commonwealth Head of Governments Meeting (CHOGM) being held in the UK.

Buhari discussed the Nigerian economy, claiming that 60% of the population is below 30, and a lot of them haven’t been to school.

They are claiming the country is an oil producing one, he said, and want to sit and get housing, healthcare, and education free.

He added that his administration is “doing very well” in security and economy. He said:

About the economy, we have a very young population, our population is estimated conservatively to be 180 million. This is a very conservative one.

More than 60 percent of the population is below 30, a lot of them haven’t been to school and they are claiming that Nigeria is an oil producing country, therefore, they should sit and do nothing, and get housing, healthcare, education free.

Recently, my minister for information was constrained to answer a question on people accusing this administration of doing nothing, he said ‘let Nigerians be reminded what position we were before May 2015, what condition we are now, and what we have achieved between then and now and I think people were impressed with the answer.

For security, we have done quite well. Economy, we are doing very well, especially with agriculture; we are providing soft loans, and guarantee is that you have to belong to a certain locality and you have got land, you don’t have to go to the bank and need a physical collateral. I think a lot is being done.

1. Kausar

April 18, 2018 at 3:34 pm

yes tell them my grand father

• Marsala

April 18, 2018 at 9:58 pm

#TakeOver2019 We must get this man out of power.

2. A.D.A.

April 18, 2018 at 3:45 pm

My goodness… I don’t even have the strength to be appalled.

• Beht why

April 18, 2018 at 4:06 pm

Like! Not today, Satan. I take God beg you.

3. Adenike

April 18, 2018 at 4:09 pm

So peeps in the older generation that had education, work and all those necessities free – they have two heads abi? I’m tired of this blame game from the older generation, it’s like someone wetting the bed for 10 years, now the whole room stinks and blames me that just moved in yesterday for not wanting to do anything about it.

4. Pamela Osakwe

April 18, 2018 at 4:15 pm

I think Buhari is the president of another country. It can’t be Nigeria. He is quoted here saying that he has done very well when it comes to security? Really? Are the people who are dying in Benue phantoms?

It is also very embarrassing when a man as old as Buhari goes on the international scene and begins to spew words without fact. “They are claiming (the youths) the country is an oil producing one, he said, and want to sit and get housing, healthcare, and education free” What kind of old maids tale is this? Did he conduct a survey before coming to this conclusion? Or is he dreaming up some of these details?

• Kanyinsola

April 18, 2018 at 8:10 pm

He was referring to Daura. I even feel bad for saying this because I’m pretty sure there are hardworking youths there who are trying to make the best of the terrible mess called Nigeria.

5. Californiabawlar

April 18, 2018 at 4:17 pm

??‍♀️

6. Tired Nigerian

April 18, 2018 at 4:27 pm

maybe your children, beyotch

• Mz Socially Awkward....

April 18, 2018 at 9:48 pm

Biko, loud it. Much, much louder.

Just in case his hearing aid and bifocals aren’t properly picking up the issues facing the REAL Nigerian youths.

And please, for the love of God, even if he’s insistent on living a life ensconced in cloud Daura…. who exactly are this man’s advisers??

7. courage

April 18, 2018 at 4:51 pm

i cant believe my eyes..somene help me clean it…..Does he know how many small and medium businesses OWNED BY YOUTHS IN THIS COUNTRY? I guess he is refering to his people oh

8. Confuzzled

April 18, 2018 at 4:54 pm

This guy. Why must he be such an embarrassment?

9. Mrs chidukane

April 18, 2018 at 4:57 pm

My heart just dropped into my stomach.

10. Tobiloba

April 18, 2018 at 5:07 pm

This man has got to go.

11. Patrick

April 18, 2018 at 5:15 pm

Just learning from our elders sir. U all have done nothing since the 60’s the economy shows that. What a shame!

12. Jojo

April 18, 2018 at 5:15 pm

He doesn’t even know the people of the country he leads. Quite unfortunate. He absolutely needs to change his meds and get a brain transfusion or replacement. Yet he sees 4 more years in his furture
    Everyone should make sure the vote him out. They can’t overcome the numbers if everyone votes

13. gbaskelebo

April 18, 2018 at 5:25 pm

I choose to be silent on this… My silence does not mean I agree with what he said, big NO! rather I am overwhelmed with amazement on how the president of a nation could be so out of tune with reality!

14. kris

April 18, 2018 at 5:28 pm

I’m just disappointed that I actually supported this fool initially.first he claimed nigerians are criminals and now we are lazy.but nigerians are one of the most hard working people on earth cos our culture discourages laziness.this insult is enough pls 2019 come fast.

15. jokobaba

April 18, 2018 at 5:56 pm

This man deserves our compassion not criticism. I know senile dementia when i see it.

16. Ijebujesha

April 18, 2018 at 6:13 pm

My own is it will never be better for all those that packaged in this very dull man.

17. Cozygal

April 18, 2018 at 6:14 pm

I started out laughing, because that’s all I have left to give this administration. Then my laughter rolled into painful tears. This administration is a cancer. They’ve all but grounded Nigeria, yet they gleefully mock us.
    Hopefully we rise from this. I’m so certain that there’s no peace for the wicked. All of them. They have sown a seed of evil, but they will reap a bountiful harvest of bitter fruits. It’s not a curse, it’s the law of seed time and harvest.

• nnenne

April 18, 2018 at 11:21 pm

@ cozygirl…..same here here huny,the laughter and tears.
      My co- bus riders are wondering if am okay.

18. Jay

April 18, 2018 at 6:47 pm

But President Buhari is right. He lives rent~free(room and board), free transportation, free free security, free healthcare, etc, all on us taxpayers, and all the while doing nothing.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

April 18, 2018 at 9:51 pm

Don’t forget the all-expense paid extended annual vacations (under the guise of medical check-ups)…. in a well-appointed luxury holiday home somewhere in central London.

19. Ceetoo

April 18, 2018 at 7:28 pm

It is your son that is entitled… he does nothing and drives a power bike worth $… (someone please help me). Talk to him directly and don’t involve the rest of us hardworking youths.

20. Nkechi

April 18, 2018 at 7:35 pm

Fbut he’s low key saying the truth. The entitlement spirit in us is too much

• Confuzzled

April 18, 2018 at 10:15 pm

What exactly are you talking about?

21. Ephi

April 18, 2018 at 7:50 pm

What manner of president is this? Always shaming the country everywhere he goes. Ahn ahn ?

22. Tatafo!

April 18, 2018 at 8:02 pm

The youths that put you in office…toh it’s good for us when we forget our past. 2019, we are waiting…

23. Alamutu Azeez

April 18, 2018 at 9:01 pm

I think our leaders needs to always attend classes on public speaking before they contest for any office in Nigeria, why would a president outside the shores of his country say such about the youths of the country he is governing, well that’s his own opinion and he is entitled to it, Mr President, I am a Nigerian Youth with a B. Sc and Msc in Banking and Finance, am currently under employed but I have never engage in any illegalities to make ends meet, your son had an accident and was flown abroad, my civil servants parents can’t even afford to get me a job so pls respect the Striving Nigerian Youths.

24. RMG

April 18, 2018 at 9:04 pm

I am appalled by this statement. Buhari please listen to me, a lot of Nigerian youths are extremely hard-working, industrious and creative. You can find these youths in the banks, markets, schools etc. I have close friends who are “youths” that have risked their lives working with Internally Displaced Persons at Maiduguri.

Buhari, we are not just claiming that Nigeria is an oil producing State. We know that Nigeria is in fact an oil producing country and the wealth from the oil sector only benefits a few rather than all Nigerians.

All we as youths are asking for is the enabling environment that youths in countries like the UK are enjoying today. A good healthcare system and even a good education system that Nigerian youths lack today are what our counterparts in the UK are enjoying.

Buhari if you need Development Aid from the United Kingdom talk about rogue politicians; trained corrupt government officials and the cabals that are destroying the potentials of this country and stop tarnishing the image of young Nigerians who are trying to make ends meet in an already difficult country.

25. nwa nna

April 18, 2018 at 9:25 pm

PMB has proven beyond a shadow of doubt that he’s ruling Mars and not Nigeria… Apparently PMB is living in a bubble that needs to be busted for the sake of his own sanity & that of Nigeria.
    The Nigerian citizens are demanding what is their fundamental human rights and PMB is talking gibberish..

Well, here’s a question, when his son Yusuf was involved in the his motorcycle accident, was it the Nigerian youths that demanded he be flown to Germany for treatment? While millions of the same youths the age of your son languish and die due to the inadequate medical infrastructure that your administration like those past have failed to provide to Nigerian citizens…

Fela aptly put it “Animal can’t dash me human rights, because, human rights nah our property” so Nigerian expecting your likes PMB, to give them what is fundamentally theirs is a moot point. Shikena..

26. Allwell

April 19, 2018 at 6:32 am

It is well.

• Bleed Blue

April 19, 2018 at 8:53 am

Actually, it is not.

It really is not.

27. zzzzzzzzz

April 19, 2018 at 9:27 am

Honestly this hurts really hurts, the other day a I read of a University graduate who sells oranges at a motor park, I have also read of a graduate who sell plantains wholesale for a living. These people should not have been into that kind of business if the adequate amenities and infrastructure was available. During Buhari’s time once you graduated from school there was already a job waiting for you, is that the same now? There are many youths that are doing the very best they can to be self sufficient even in the kind of environment we live in. The youths really need to be commended and encouraged. No body is asking the government to provide jobs just provide the enabling environment and see the wonders people would do. Really unfair to label the youths as being entitled.

28. King

April 19, 2018 at 9:49 am

It really hurts that the president of Nigeria can actually be blind to not see that the youth are actually the real reason Nigeria is a big opportunity for foreign companies who are trying to get their feet in.

See the number of SMEs in the last few years…who owns them? The youth! ….When a country as rich as ours refuse to support its future generations and this future generation tries all in their power to stand on their feet without war, and then a senile old man who calls himself the presidents turns a blind eye to see what these youths are doing and still blames them.

Sir, you..I meam president Buhari….you need to be tied to a barrel in a firing squad…You are truly the epitome of Evil.

29. Bowl

April 19, 2018 at 10:35 am

People enjoy

30. John

April 19, 2018 at 12:12 pm

Hmm Mr President, you done a great job but majority of the youth don’t want to sit down doing nothing but our economy makes us look like a Fool Million of ? are in the streets, and even most of the companies stop many of their Staff, no job neither money to start something, even some of the foreigners like Lebanese, Chinese and Indian have taken care of the entire economy in our fatherland, they only used us as a labour. Even now the Chinese called for their prisoner to come and take over the labour work in Nigeria. I can tell you some companies that you can find out. Which Way Nigeria? Either you’re APC or PDP I believe in one Good Nigeria! Note, that we can’t never do such a thing in their country. Do you know that some of us joined politics because of what to eat and how to get to the top not to contribute to the growing up the economy but to embezzled the country money. In politics depends on who introduced you otherwise you wouldn’t grow up on time. Good morning. Nigeria

31. olajumoke

April 20, 2018 at 4:51 pm

He is definitely talking about the Northern Youths…He can not be referring to West or east or SOuth… na..he cannot..