Features

Adanna Elechi: The Downside Of Being Busty

Adanna Elechi: The Downside Of Being BustyA lot of people think having big breasts is just sunshine and flowers since so many busty women and cosmetic surgeons have made money from having and enhancing them. But like every other thing, being busty comes with its disadvantages.

For someone like me who went from not wearing bras to a D cup in two years, I know these downsides like the back of my hands. Apart from the lustful stares from some creeps and demeaning ones who think breasts only grow by touching (ndi uchu), there are a few things that can be very inconveniencing especially for teenagers and even some adults.

Thankfully, I have come a long way from doing Novenas to St. Rita to reduce the size of my breasts, wearing two bras, tying scarves and feeling like everyone was looking at me when the Reverend father says “we ni tenu obi enu” during mass. (I am not joking o.)

So in case, you thought busty girls have it all, I am here to tell you some of the downsides of having gigantic titties. It is important to note that this post is for people who would have preferred a moderate size, but received more blessings naturally and not for those who went out and purchased theirs.

They make you look fat
Imagine slaving in the gym every day of the week and still looking two sizes bigger than the people who are supposed to be your size. This is even worse when you are smallish like me; once you add a little weight, you start to look like a ball. This is my situation right now.

Also, it is not fun being confused about your dress size because your upper body is a different size from the lower one.  If you are Kim Kardashian, you are safe, her body is sick!

Not-So-Cute Bras
When I was younger, the only bras I could wear were old lady bras called Triumph (No disrespect). They were okay, just not for someone as young as I was. This meant I couldn’t wear off-shoulder clothes, tank tops and spaghetti straps my mates used to wear. This was because the straps of  Triumph’ were not made for such fancy outfits. Manufacturers of strapless bras also discriminated against us those days, the bras were never able to hold them and those useless clear straps were always cutting. Classic case of Ara nwanyi Asaba, if you know you know.

These days, big breasts are in vogue and more fancy bras are in the market, but still washing and hanging them in public always has me in my feelings because of the size.

Trampoline is not your friend
The other day, I went to a fitness place in Lagos, as I was jumping on the trampoline the twins decided to join the fun on their own by slapping me up and down, side to side and escaping their cage aka bra. Brethren it was a mess. The worst part is that it isn’t just trampolines, any activity that involves jumping like skipping, aerobics or when the DJ is pumped and says everyone should jump at a party. My worst jumping experience was during parades in NYSC camp, with the white t-shirt, there was no escaping that breast disaster.  Your boobs will just leave you and fly around like ceiling fan. This can do and undo you, be careful. Good news is, you can do all these with ‘triumph’ so just buy them and Kuku enjoy your life.

Constant Backache
I think this should be the worst of the downsides, it is not even nice. Just picture yourself carrying a huge weight on your chest all the time. I kid you not, they get really heavy especially at that time of the month and hurts your lower back.  It can get really discomforting my dear sisters. If you try to lie on your back to ease the pain, they fall to the side, when you try to lie on your chest, it feels like balloons are about to pop and you risk flattening your babies. it is so bad many people have gone for breast reduction surgeries to ease the pain.  Some waist trainers serve has support and can help ease the pain, just don’t buy the one that almost killed me, you can read about my experience here.

These and many more are some of the downsides of having plenty boobs a.k.a ‘nri nwa’ and to add salt to injury, some yeye research has concluded that poor men are more attracted to big breast, they claim rich men like smaller cup sizes. I didn’t wear Triumph as a teenager for this. We need another research ASAP. For some of you who keep shouting “Adanna I wish I had your boobs”, do you still want them? Especially now you have to also be food for people who haven’t eaten as they are magnets for poor people.  God, please forgive me for this post, you know I love my babies, just that we can work something out about wearing and removing them for some activities and for wearing certain outfits. Thank you, Lord.

This post is dedicated to all the strong and beautiful women battling breast cancer, you all are survivors and I hope this puts a little smile on your faces as you beat that devil into the abyss. Stay strong, victory is yours. I love you and I have you in my prayers.

Photo Credit: Fotos.com.ng

Adanna Elechi is an entrepreneur, writer, blogger and information enthusiast who believes in changing the world one post at a time. She is passionate about nutrition and wellness and blogs about it on nutricloset.com. Connect with her on all social platforms @adee_elechi

1. Mr.man

August 23, 2018 at 8:38 pm

Lmao. I found this v. Hilarious, no wondoer now I know the cause of my money problem is my mad love for big breasted girls…

• AAM

August 24, 2018 at 2:35 pm

hahaha! you are unwell

2. D

August 23, 2018 at 8:55 pm

Dear writer, You just invited the people with fake titties to the post immediately you mentioned Kim Kardashian. It was all sunshine and rainbows till I saw her name.kim has never denied having a boob job but always claim her bum is all natural. I think you could have done some research on that.
    I see nothing bad in being busty cause it has made me to be more conscious of my waistline.

3. akama

August 23, 2018 at 9:38 pm

Nice write up! You forgot to mention that really good bras for busty people like us are very expensive (perhaps its the engineering required to keep the twins at bay!)!

• Mrs chidukane

August 23, 2018 at 10:05 pm

Very expensive oh! A major downside is you can never go braless unless you’re alone with your husband and kids. The stares from even your fellow women is not funny.
      Being busty has a lot more advantages though. Killer cleavage, clothes generally look better especially if you’re an hourglass or at least have a waist, you never fall short of male attention ( for single ladies),and I don’t know for others sha,I never experience the painful fullness and letdown that nursing mothers get.

4. dami

August 23, 2018 at 9:59 pm

lovely lovely lovely

5. Bowl

August 23, 2018 at 10:10 pm

I just had the best part of my day reading this.
    You got me with ‘ndi uchu. ‘ and ‘welite nu obi unu elu ‘ lol

• OgeAdiro

August 24, 2018 at 12:58 pm

Anyi ewelite ya, n’ebe dinwenu m no. This took me way back ?

6. IyaB

August 23, 2018 at 10:25 pm

At least yours is DD unlike mine that is HH on a petite frame. They say your bust reduce after breadtfeeding certainly not mine!! Not to talk of buying just 3 bras for almost £200 that doesn’t last long with the wire coming off urg! Yeah life of a busty lady lol

7. Hanee

August 23, 2018 at 10:31 pm

Story of my life. Walking on the street of Lagos was a disaster, even secondary school with all sort of name like baby food, milk factory etc
    Only primark have my size and try toolz Oniru bra. They are nice and sexy too. I wear 38g you can imagine.
    But now I carry my breast with pride especially when I see people paying thousands for boobs job.
    I still can’t wear off shoulders tho ?

• Anon

August 24, 2018 at 12:18 am

You can wear off the shoulder tops and dresses. Can I introduce you to Wonderbra Glamour Lace Strapless Bra? IMO, it’s the best undergarment since no VPL panties! 🙂 They are generous in size and you may actually need a 38F or 38FF instead. You can wear it alone or for extra support, combine it with a shape wear strapless bra slip (waist length or knee length.) Nothing droops with this bra.

• Tooyosi

August 24, 2018 at 7:39 pm

I can’t wear off shoulder to?

8. Kaybee

August 23, 2018 at 10:52 pm

This got me cracking, Thumbs up!

9. Kay

August 23, 2018 at 11:16 pm

Lmao, sis I understand the big boobs struggles. I have a love n hate relationship with mine esp when I see a cute dress n it refuses to zip across across the chest,

• Anon

August 24, 2018 at 12:09 am

This is me re-your last sentence.

10. 34G

August 24, 2018 at 8:28 am

the struggle is not funny and quite expensive, to even find strapless bra is like looking for a white elephant, pls hook us up o abeg.

11. Californiabawlar

August 24, 2018 at 10:15 am

I hit rock bottom and felt colossal amounts of both first and secondhand embarrassment for myself the first day I wore my bra as facecap and there was still wiggle room ?
    Yeah it sounds bad right? But wait until you hear how big my head is… my nickname as a kid was ori ju’di ??‍♀️

12. Kay

August 24, 2018 at 11:45 pm

I’m a 38h and saving up for a reduction so help me God! The backache and chestpain is out of this world.

13. Nomzy

November 8, 2018 at 5:25 pm

Adanna your stories always crack me up I swear